Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There has to be somebody with an iguana recipe. Come on, man!
View Quote

I’ve heard of iguana tacos. You need a big one to get enough meat off of. There were butchering videos on YouTube but all the reptile loving weirdo’s comment crazy death threats on them
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Remember a few winters ago seeing stories about gators poking their snouts up through the ice in ponds. Gators evolved in places where it gets cold and can adapt.
Iguanas not so much I guess.
What round for chilled iguana? Probably a .22 air rifle would do it pretty well.
View Quote

I used to use a cheap Gamo 17 pellet rifle I got on discount. If I move back I’m getting a 22 or 30 cal PCP
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whew , at least you don’t bash them with a hammer !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I behead em with a machete and toss them into the canal.

I was thinking where's the shark dude when you need him.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I discovered the world of Pre charged pneumatic air guns thanks to Iguana's. Well, the video I found on you tube and then the falling down that rabbit hole that followed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Not gonna lie iguana hunting seems funner than hell.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Dead meat on the Sportsmans channel is hunting and cooking iguanas in Puerto Rico right now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remember a few winters ago seeing stories about gators poking their snouts up through the ice in ponds. Gators evolved in places where it gets cold and can adapt.
Iguanas not so much I guess.
What round for chilled iguana? Probably a .22 air rifle would do it pretty well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What round for iguanas?

Jelly OP. That looks like fun
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eating plants you don't want them to eat? or the fruit and berries off your trees? also big incubators for staph.

I saw a big one tear up a kid I went to school with once...we were throwing rocks at the iguana when it went apeshit
jumped outta the tree onto the kids back...
The screaming from all of us was epic...
The kid got full rabies and antibiotic shots and a lot of stitches...
Ironic as the kid's nickname was "Lucky"...Lucky Smith...poor kid was hurting for a long time...
View Quote

Rabies shots for a reptile bite?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
If rabies virus can't live in possums because their body temp is not warm enough, how can it live in a cold-blooded reptile?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If rabies virus can't live in possums because their body temp is not warm enough, how can it live in a cold-blooded reptile?
View Quote

Its pretty much a mammal sickness. Guess that hospital needed to pad the bill a bit lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
chicken of the trees
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember reading a story a few years ago about a group of Haitian guys who are picking up frozen iguanas all over the place in Miami. Turns out once they were in the car the iguanas all start waking up and driving the passengers out of the car, screaming like lunatics. Wish there was a video!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Coyotes feed on them behind my house. My dog eats them too. Some are wary of dogs eating them. Bur mine has eaten a few dozen at this point no problems. But he also eats cat shit with no ill effects.  Nasty fucker
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]
TAMPA, Fla. — As many Floridians prepare for the freezing temperatures this weekend, Florida Fish and Wildlife sent out a reminder to not be alarmed by falling iguanas.

Although the falling lizards may be startling, the FWC asks residents to not bring the wild green iguanas into their home or their car to warm up.

They can recover more quickly than you think and become defensive, using their long tails and sharp teeth & claws," the agency wrote on its Facebook.

When it gets colder than 45 degrees, iguanas go into a sort of suspended animation mode and fall out of trees. The green guys who are considered an invasive species in Florida are still breathing with critical body functions still operating, but they look dead.

All iguanas are not created equally though. The bigger ones can be a little more tolerable of the cold weather Zoo Miami Communications Director Ron Magill told CBS Miami.

Iguanas can reach up to 5 feet in length and weigh up to 20 pounds. That's close to a medium-sized dog standing up. Imagine an iguana that large falling from a tree.

The cold-stunned state iguanas enter protects them until the temperature warms back up over 50 degrees again. The reptilian is at risk when temperatures remain in the 40s and lower for periods over eight hours.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TAMPA, Fla. — As many Floridians prepare for the freezing temperatures this weekend, Florida Fish and Wildlife sent out a reminder to not be alarmed by falling iguanas.

Although the falling lizards may be startling, the FWC asks residents to not bring the wild green iguanas into their home or their car to warm up.

They can recover more quickly than you think and become defensive, using their long tails and sharp teeth & claws," the agency wrote on its Facebook.

When it gets colder than 45 degrees, iguanas go into a sort of suspended animation mode and fall out of trees. The green guys who are considered an invasive species in Florida are still breathing with critical body functions still operating, but they look dead.

All iguanas are not created equally though. The bigger ones can be a little more tolerable of the cold weather Zoo Miami Communications Director Ron Magill told CBS Miami.

Iguanas can reach up to 5 feet in length and weigh up to 20 pounds. That's close to a medium-sized dog standing up. Imagine an iguana that large falling from a tree.

The cold-stunned state iguanas enter protects them until the temperature warms back up over 50 degrees again. The reptilian is at risk when temperatures remain in the 40s and lower for periods over eight hours.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
View Quote

Is it sporting to kill a passed out iguana?

Semi serious question
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used to use a cheap Gamo 17 pellet rifle I got on discount. If I move back I’m getting a 22 or 30 cal PCP
View Quote

I doubt I will move back...my body can't regulate temps very well anymore, heat is much worse than the cold....as I sit in my living room and freeze to death....

If I did though I would make sure to have this prepped in cooler weather....

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck no

I Dry-Aged an IGUANA, ate it and this happened!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Semi serious question
View Quote

Yes ..... they are invasive and destructive
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aren't those things considered pests? Good time to get rid of a few.
View Quote
Yes. I shoot them every time I get the chance, which is often.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe not rabies it was like 60+ yrs ago...

Lucky ended up in the Coco Solo Navy Hospital (same place where John McCain was born)
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Will the die off cause a shit ton of bug issues moving forward?
View Quote

They aren’t dying. They’re cold stunned. They’ll wake up when it gets warmer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I doubt I will move back...my body can't regulate temps very well anymore, heat is much worse than the cold....as I sit in my living room and freeze to death....

If I did though I would make sure to have this prepped in cooler weather....

https://3stepsolutions.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/assets/custom/003036/images/products/PNG-image-507BE35C9598-1.png?Random=8fbdb6ba-c988-4993-9379-483b98aa7072
View Quote

I was hard until I saw the price.... I will go be poor elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
All I see is a belt.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s “barbecued”.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

ETA: F’ing Beat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s “barbecued”.
View Quote

Thank you. Camouflage would be upset.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Stone crab bait.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mmmmm . Roasted iguana
View Quote
They good at all? I moved to FL two years ago and never even knew... that real?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Mike Rowe did one of the dirty jobs episodes over them.

Mike Rowe Takes on Florida's Iguana Problem | Dirty Jobs
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
kill them while you can
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Stone crab bait.
View Quote

I am going to try it. Need to build a few traps
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Stone crab bait.
View Quote

Bait casting for gators
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I behead em with a machete and toss them into the canal.

Have you finished pre-emptively hunting and killing all the dogs in your neighborhood because they might eat yer chikkins or sheeps one day?

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It’s “barbecued”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mmmmm…. Roasted iguana

It’s “barbecued”.

I understand just a little.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Semi serious question
View Quote

Well, no one is stopping you from giving it snugggles or belly rubs to give it a fighting chance.

Invasive species. Zero love loss. At least make it quick. lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stone crab bait.
View Quote

One of the ones I shot went in the blue crab trap in the canal. Maybe I should have chopped it up first because after a week it still was just a blown up iguana piñata and wasn’t stinking yet. I threw it in to the mangroves and got some chicken necks instead.

But, I’m willing to give it another try
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#39]
No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I cant really grow and food because of them. They eat everything I plant except Brazilian spinach.

Main problem is they take over burrow owl holes. Those owl are great pest control. Specially when I am 4 miles from the Everglades
View Quote

I had no idea burrowing owls had such a large range.

They were cool to watch when I was stationed at Davis Monthan AFB.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Winner! Winner! Tree chicken dinner!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
chicken of the trees
View Quote

I'd have to be mighty hungry to eat a damn lizard or snake!

I'm no fan of fish or seafood either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant really grow and food because of them. They eat everything I plant except Brazilian spinach.

Main problem is they take over burrow owl holes. Those owl are great pest control. Specially when I am 4 miles from the Everglades

No kidding. We have them here and they're endangered. Its surprising to see so many of an endangered animal as we see here and to know they span the country
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Hunting them seems like a fun kind of thing to do.

Can anyone tell me how they fare against a hunting type dog like a JRT or other medium sized breed?  It says their bite is nasty but some of the smaller game dogs are pretty quick with the thrash and kill.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can anyone tell me how they fare against a hunting type dog like a JRT or other medium sized breed?  It says their bite is nasty but some of the smaller game dogs are pretty quick with the thrash and kill.
View Quote

They are pretty dang fast and quick to scoot if anything approaches them. They will go up a tree or jump in the water and swim submerged like a gator for a good distance.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is clubbing season open?
View Quote

"Oh whacking day, Oh, whacking day..."
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Eating plants you don't want them to eat? or the fruit and berries off your trees? also big incubators for staph.

I saw a big one tear up a kid I went to school with once...we were throwing rocks at the iguana when it went apeshit
jumped outta the tree onto the kids back...
The screaming from all of us was epic...
The kid got full rabies and antibiotic shots and a lot of stitches...
Ironic as the kid's nickname was "Lucky"...Lucky Smith...poor kid was hurting for a long time...
View Quote

Can reptiles get rabies?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

My labrador cornered one and it tail whipped him. He never really went after them after that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They are pretty dang fast and quick to scoot if anything approaches them. They will go up a tree or jump in the water and swim submerged like a gator for a good distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve got dachshunds and I watched my dad shoot a squirrel once from a tree so my dog could finish it off.  I’ve seen mine tie into squirrels unassisted and even raccoons and snakes.

This completely sounds like fun!  I’m kind of jealous I’m not getting to live this sort of life.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top