Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well some people are getting relieved for that.
View Quote

Oh yeah, smoke em all you want but you'd damn well better watch em like a Mother Hen at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Big Green
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Heat will fuck you up.  Even more so for those with preexisting conditions.  My medics pull in dozens each year with temps >103, but I've never seen a 109.  As hot as it has been at Bragg the last couple weeks, I'm surprised we haven't had one as well.

Sorry to hear about your friend OP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Heat will fuck you up.  Even more so for those with preexisting conditions.  My medics pull in dozens each year with temps >103, but I've never seen a 109.  As hot as it has been at Bragg the last couple weeks, I'm surprised we haven't had one as well.

View Quote

A buddy of mine told me he got check one day with a thermometer. Drop pants and bend over checked. I wasn't there but it sounded plausible to me.

Serious stuff if someone dies due to heat stroke like that.

I guess he could be making that up but why lie about that? One of the seals shows on tv about Buds showed (not close up) them taking rectal temps so I took home for his word they did it to him.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinda irrelevant, but would his prior weight issues have possibly contributed to this, even though he had lost most of it and was in pretty good shape going in?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine told me he got check one day with a thermometer. Drop pants and bend over checked. I wasn't there but it sounded plausible to me.

I guess he could be making that up but why lie about that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

core temp is taken with a rectal thermometer.  

Have seen plenty of dudes on the side of the road mostly naked wrapped in ice sheets and a thermometer up his ass.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I dont think so. I am a former huge bastard, and I went to Benning, in July. If you dont hydrate enough, heat will kill you.

Unless he had a preexisting medical condition, of course. Then all bets are off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda irrelevant, but would his prior weight issues have possibly contributed to this, even though he had lost most of it and was in pretty good shape going in?

I dont think so. I am a former huge bastard, and I went to Benning, in July. If you dont hydrate enough, heat will kill you.

Unless he had a preexisting medical condition, of course. Then all bets are off.

109 is too high no matter the previous condition.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have seen plenty of dudes on the side of the road mostly naked wrapped in ice sheets and a thermometer up his ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I know your not lying to cover for him

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

>105ish is generally fatal or career ending.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Well done.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily.  Thyroid problems can impact temperature regulation and weight. Not saying that's the case, I'm just not so quick to blame anyone for being careless.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, that sucks.   I'm sorry for your loss, and very sad for him and his father.

Something they don't tell you about during enlistment, and it's never much talked about, even here:  Combat Arms, is damned dangerous, even in peacetime.  

Most people are afraid to even try for their dreams, because doing so, entails great risk.    

He tried, and fell short; but he still achieved more than most people.    

Godspeed Soldier.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not necessarily.  Thyroid problems can impact temperature regulation and weight. Not saying that's the case, I'm just not so quick to blame anyone for being careless.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If his superiors were doing their job he would have never had the chance to get there.

They didn't catch the signs of heat stroke. They should have been trained in detecting that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IMO, that's partially a failure of the training cadre.  You're supposed to train your guys, not kill them... and somebody should have been out there monitoring the recruits.  This isn't an unknown problem when doing PT out in the heat.

I've seen guys get heat stroke while out doing PT, and people lost careers over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well some people are getting relieved for that.

Who would be getting busted for this? If he kept his mouth shut, didn't complain, and pushed through as much as he could, how would they have known?

As I said, I wasn't in the military so I have no idea how these things work.

IMO, that's partially a failure of the training cadre.  You're supposed to train your guys, not kill them... and somebody should have been out there monitoring the recruits.  This isn't an unknown problem when doing PT out in the heat.

I've seen guys get heat stroke while out doing PT, and people lost careers over it.

yup same here.. Ft Bilss during the summer. they kept pumping the water down us. had a few drop out with HS. and asses were chewed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If his superiors were doing their job he would have never had the chance to get there.

View Quote

You and I have absolutely no idea what the circumstances were.  I would refrain from casting blame until you actually know what happened.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I fell out of a hump at SOI.  We ran out of water at the starting point and I for some reason (squad leader) handed out my own water to anyone short of theirs.  I went down hard.  Partial kidney failure, heat exhaustion.  My PltSgt kept finding me in the truck on the hike and dragging me out to make me continue to hike.  I don't recall ANY of this, but was told after.  I "woke up" that night in the barracks, by that I mean I actually have memories of what was going on.  After all the gear was turned in is when my memories start.  I drank a couple gatorades, pissed dark brown and tried to go to sleep.  Cramped up all night.  Made it to chow the next morning and the smell of food made me so sick to my stomach I went to the head which is where they found me.

Took 8 tries to start and IV on me that morning and it took a 22 gauge needle.  They pumped a L of fluid an hour into me for 12 hours and I didn't piss till the next day.  

Heat will fucking kill you if you are not hydrated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke which can be fatal (obviously).

There are signs of both that those trained can see.
View Quote

Especially the individual person.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, we really shouldn't having Army recruits die from heat stroke this day and age. Fucking tragic. Sounds like the guy knew what he wanted to be and busted his ass to get there. We need more people like him.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You and I have absolutely no idea what the circumstances were.  I would refrain from casting blame until you actually know what happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude doesn't sound prior military either..
The Germans ain't got nothing to do with it (movie quote).
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Sorry about your friend. Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
RIP. Dedicated guy was giving it his all, no doubt.

Heat is no joke. My thoughts go out to his loved ones.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
My condolences to his family and to you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
It damned near killed the CSM of my unit.   We all jogged past him lying in a muddy ditch by the side of the road.  

Ironically, we had little sympathy, since He was the one who refused to cancel the Brigade Run for a Black Flag day.  

He didn't die, but was medically retired.  

Even after all the deaths and injuries, Big Army is pretty ignorant about these things.    "Train Like Ya Fight "
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was at AIT, guy collapsed in formation two weeks in.  He probably locked his knees, but summer in San Angelo is no place to fuck around with hydration.  That soldier carried 1 gallon jugs of water with him for a week or so and had to drink them regularly.  I can still remember our Drill Sgt would stop mid-training and calmly say, "Private King... drink water!"  He even had our classroom instructors in on it (also Army.)  He was still carrying canteens as a precaution when our class schedule was on daytime hours.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
FYI  the "koolaide" they serve you every 15 minutes at Irwin army hospital pretty much sucks. The 3-4 of us were really sick were in a bay with about 15 guys who were "heat causalties" so we got treated the same as them. They got to spend 1 day and returned to units, I was there 3 1/2 days. Core temps every three hours, "koolaide" every 15 min-45 min, IVs till my skin returned quickly when pinched, blood draws at 0400, and the worst part was they made me eat. No Bueno since I was vomiting constantly from the crud, they gave me something for diarrhea but nothing for the nausea. Anything I ate just gave me something to vomit up.
Put being a heat stress case on your "let's not do that" list.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm talking with another guy from the gym about setting up a 5k memorial run this summer. Does anyone here have any experience with something like this? I can get sponsors and such, but have never set up a 5k. My background is in finance and business, so I have that part covered, but any input from guys who have set up charity events/runs, would be super appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When I was at AIT, guy collapsed in formation two weeks in.  He probably locked his knees, but summer in San Angelo is no place to fuck around with hydration.  That soldier carried 1 gallon jugs of water with him for a week or so and had to drink them regularly.  I can still remember our Drill Sgt would stop mid-training and calmly say, "Private King... drink water!"  He even had our classroom instructors in on it (also Army.)  He was still carrying canteens as a precaution when our class schedule was on daytime hours.
View Quote

Until he over hydrates and then it is water intoxication time ...
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Prayers for you and the family . He was very motivated . It can be damn hot at Campbell in the summer .
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not directly, but certain OTC weight loss and performance drugs work by increasing one's basal metabolic rate which increases heat production. One can also be on drugs (antihistamines, for example) that inhibit sweating, the primary mechanism by which we dissipate heat.

My sympathies...Sounds like he was a good dude that was willing to work hard to achieve a goal, something sorely lacking in today's youth..

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#34]

It's a sad thing when stuff like this happens...when I was in Basic at Ft. Jackson, a female recruit collapsed while doing PT.

The cadre did everything they could to save her, to no avail.

We found out a week later that she had an undetected heart valve problem, and it could have happened at any time.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He was 25 and had been an EMT and volunteer firefighter prior to going in. He was pretty out of shape and a number of people told him flat out he couldn't get down enough in weight to join. He put his head down, worked hard, and made it happen.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1653512_1649110405309281_7364734458297879943_n.jpg?oh=e43ab501cc8598e9249de2b8c1c1146f&oe=55E7747D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old was he?

He was 25 and had been an EMT and volunteer firefighter prior to going in. He was pretty out of shape and a number of people told him flat out he couldn't get down enough in weight to join. He put his head down, worked hard, and made it happen.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1653512_1649110405309281_7364734458297879943_n.jpg?oh=e43ab501cc8598e9249de2b8c1c1146f&oe=55E7747D

RIP Brother
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I fell out of a hump at SOI.  We ran out of water at the starting point and I for some reason (squad leader) handed out my own water to anyone short of theirs.  I went down hard.  Partial kidney failure, heat exhaustion.  My PltSgt kept finding me in the truck on the hike and dragging me out to make me continue to hike.  I don't recall ANY of this, but was told after.  I "woke up" that night in the barracks, by that I mean I actually have memories of what was going on.  After all the gear was turned in is when my memories start.  I drank a couple gatorades, pissed dark brown and tried to go to sleep.  Cramped up all night.  Made it to chow the next morning and the smell of food made me so sick to my stomach I went to the head which is where they found me.

Took 8 tries to start and IV on me that morning and it took a 22 gauge needle.  They pumped a L of fluid an hour into me for 12 hours and I didn't piss till the next day.  

Heat will fucking kill you if you are not hydrated.
View Quote

Jesus Christ, dude. That's insane.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
109 core temp?

His leaders (or lack of it) failed him. 100% preventable.
View Quote

This right here.   Either there should have  been a black flag (no PT outdoors), or someone didn't do what they were supposed to.

There were people expressly responsible for his well being at all times, and they failed.  

I hope his family demands an investigation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I've emailed Striker to find out how I can go about setting up a charity 5k event post in GD.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
When I went through Ft. Benning a couple guys ended up like that.  

Sad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a really sad story. To work that hard and have something like this happen. Prayers to the family.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Prayers for you and the family . He was very motivated . It can be damn hot at Campbell in the summer .
View Quote

The heat at Ft Campbell is worse than out here in the desert IMO.
Sweating here in AZ, even in the 115 degree heat we've had for the last few days actually cools you off.
Back there at Campbell, when it's 95 the humidity is nearing saturation levels, sweating doesn't really cool you off at all.
It's fucking miserable and exhausting to be outside in muggy heat.

RIP Brother

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn. Rip soldier.

Quoted:
109 core temp?

View Quote

I don't know. I treated a guy that hit 107. He was doing pt, a normal day not a kill you day. I was told - by the guys in his squad, all of whom I trust- that he was as ok as anyone else. He was the last guy in the file, and stumbled. He was apparently out then. The guys carried him at a run back to the aid station where we took over. 1st thermometer said 107. We didn't believe it, so we got a different one. 107 again. I think we had him down to 102 by the time the ambulance arrived.

I don't know if he had been sick or what, or if he had gone out drinking the night before. I know he didn't smell like booze.

His squad leader was a great squad leader. As in, if my boys ever join the military, I'd hope and want they had a squad leader like him. He (the squad leader) told me he looked and acted fine. Right up until he didn't.

So maybe this particular case was preventable, but maybe it wasn't. That said, our guy actually had no residual effects but he almost certainly would have died had good care been delayed much more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#43]
This happened a few times in Benning during the summer months. Those fatbodies from states like minnesota/ wisconsin drop like flies

The worse for me was staying in those air conditioned bays and then having to be out in the field for almost a week with movements during the day. Prickly heat, Never wear underwear

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Kid is a hero.  Some gave all.....

In my prayers.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Damn. Rip soldier.

I don't know. I treated a guy that hit 107. He was doing pt, a normal day not a kill you day. I was told - by the guys in his squad, all of whom I trust- that he was as ok as anyone else. He was the last guy in the file, and stumbled. He was apparently out then. The guys carried him at a run back to the aid station where we took over. 1st thermometer said 107. We didn't believe it, so we got a different one. 107 again. I think we had him down to 102 by the time the ambulance arrived.

I don't know if he had been sick or what, or if he had gone out drinking the night before. I know he didn't smell like booze.

His squad leader was a great squad leader. As in, if my boys ever join the military, I'd hope and want they had a squad leader like him. He (the squad leader) told me he looked and acted fine. Right up until he didn't.

So maybe this particular case was preventable, but maybe it wasn't. That said, our guy actually had no residual effects but he almost certainly would have died had good care been delayed much more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Damn. Rip soldier.

Quoted:
109 core temp?

Similar thing happened to me at Polk. I remember rucking with my platoon, then waking up in the medics truck later on. Apparently I was ok one minute, then just flipped out and swung at a guy for not sharing his french fries (there were no fries), and passed out. Temp hit 103. And I don't remember a damn thing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

109 core temp?

View Quote

This. Fuck
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn. Rip soldier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Damn. Rip soldier.

Quoted:
109 core temp?

I saw similar stuff when I was on active duty. One minute, the guy is fine, hydrating the way he's supposed to, and the next, he's down and out with a friggin' needle in his arm. And, in my observation, a lot of this seems to happen when there are constant transitions between AC and high heat/humidity.

I think there's something to the whole thing with people's bodies getting used to AC, and then going outside. I'd rather run the car with no AC, windows open, especially when I'm working outside. Going from 60 degrees to 100 with high humidity can really screw you up, and I think some people's bodies just can't handle the transition very well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#49]
that is extremely sad, Heat Strokes are treated very seriously here and ALOT of patients we treat in the summer months have various levels of it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#50]
The heat and humidity at Fort Campbell in June is no joke. Given the timeline of a January start It sounds like he may have been at Air Assault School. The AASLT ruck is notorious for heat injury this time of year especially for young privates that haven’t acclimatized to KY Summer. The big thing is that heat kills quick and this kid sounds like he had a never give up attitude, probably didnt even look symptomatic until he went down. There are only so many medics for that 12miles and even if they got to him quick, if he was pushing himself it may have already been too late.

Regardless, It is a sad day to lose a brother to the elements. Rest easy my friend you have earned it.

OP sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that it brings change.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top