BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would tend to lean toward this statement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
109 core temp?

His leaders (or lack of it) failed him. 100% preventable.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Went to basic training at Ft. Sill during a record setting 70 some odd days straight of 100+ temps.

Had numerous soldiers go down, but the cadre was trained to spot it, took quick action, and probably saved a few lives.

A fair amount of training ended up being cut short or cancelled due to the heat, but that was a smart decision that came from the top, and its a shame to see these steps were missed here.  It happens, but its detectable and treatable...shame his battle buddies let him down.  We had ice sheets on hand at all times, had mandatory canteen chugs, water buffalos at every turn, and NEVER had cadre that had a problem with you stepping out of something for some water.  Some of them even had momentary lapse's of being badasses and would come up and personally talk to you to make sure you were ok. God help you when they realized you were ok though...

RIP soldier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That blows
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
good point this may have air assault school 12 miler, in which case the troop would be on his own without supervision.  The failure of the leadership may have simply been to send a troop to a school too early.  but if you are coming out of Infantry AIT then you should be ready for AA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So sorry to hear about your friend.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Godspeed.

Obviosly someone screwed up.

The man died a soldier in the service of his country. Prayers to his family.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Even back in 1988 at Ft. Leonard Wood they watched the wet bulb like crazy.  Range control would put out the word and we stripped our BDU tops and unbolted our boots.

We had frequent full canteen checks, and at specified intervals would have to upend the canteens over our heads to show we had ingested the required amount of water.

That summer was hot as heck, with a big drought going on, but I don't think I've ever pissed so much before or since.

The drills were serious as a heart attack about heat casualties.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember back at Fort Hood all the many, MANY classes or sets of instructions to avoid heat injury.

The first obvious thing to do is Drink Water.  It was the Israeli Army that came with an active person needs to drink a quart of water every hour.  Trying to be butch about not needing water to drink is stupid and potentially lethal.  So if you're thirsty: Drink Water.  And if you're NOT thirsty: Drink More Water.

Seriously: One of the first systems of a Serious Heat injury is when you STOP sweating.  I have to ask, Why Didn't Anybody Notice it?  Proverbial Danger Zone.

At Fort Hood Days, when it would get a bit warmer than usual, at the end of a hot day my uniform shirt would often have a visible white crust from sweated salt.

One of my answers to avoiding heat injuries was in the way I ate meals.  Excluding Breakfast, where I only lightly ate, when I would get a meal I would get two glasses and fill them with soda or something.  Come the warmer times I would fill the glass, drink it down right then and there.  I mean Empty it.  Refill and put the refilled glass on my tray.  Repeat with Glass No. 2.  I would also often get enough bread and slices of tomato to make at least two sandwiches beyond what I was going to eat.  I would also pour on the salt on the food.  It is also safe to say that I refilled my glasses multiple times as I ate.

Heat related injuries and prevention was explained to us time and again.  When whenever we went into the field, Platoon Leaders and senior NCO's would have coolers filled with ice water fastened in their jeeps.  You thirsty?  Go ahead and fill up your canteen.  This was in addition to plentiful water bags hanging around the field.

With all the classes and sets of instruction there was no excuse for a heat injury.  Somebody HAD to be messing up.  Too butch or not observant enough, somebody REALLY Screwed Up.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He went out trying, he'd made it.

Please don't blame yourself, he could have died sitting on a couch rather than living his dream.......

View Quote

Absolutely this.  And being in good shape is no protection from heat stress injuries.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who would be getting busted for this? If he kept his mouth shut, didn't complain, and pushed through as much as he could, how would they have known?

As I said, I wasn't in the military so I have no idea how these things work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well some people are getting relieved for that.

Who would be getting busted for this? If he kept his mouth shut, didn't complain, and pushed through as much as he could, how would they have known?

Doesn't matter if he kept his mouth shut.  His leadership are supposed to be keeping an eye out for signs of heat injuries... and there are outwardly visible signs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn I'm sorry. That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
That's shitty.

RIP soldier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Sad to hear.  I'm sorry about your friend OP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayers sent - tragedy
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

he had finished training and reported to his unit.  Team leader and squad leader should keep an eye on the newbs to make sure they are drinking enough.
sometimes you go out for training with what is on you and youngsters will try to save their water.  i did it once when I was AG in the hills.  It was a long hump.  the walker was scared shitless because a few of us fell out and it was his idea to do 12K rough terrain with no water resupply and only 2 1 quarts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he had finished training and reported to his unit.  Team leader and squad leader should keep an eye on the newbs to make sure they are drinking enough.
sometimes you go out for training with what is on you and youngsters will try to save their water.  i did it once when I was AG in the hills.  It was a long hump.  the walker was scared shitless because a few of us fell out and it was his idea to do 12K rough terrain with no water resupply and only 2 1 quarts.

You also have to make sure it's water in their camelbaks/canteens and not soda. We had one guy turn in to a heat casualty and when we opened his camelback it was full of dr pepper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
This is awful. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I was a 92 day reservist in the marines. Go to boot camp one summer, train with your unit for a year, do soi  next summer.  So I'm at soi,  On Friday June 29th 2001, about 0900, we were doing our 10k hump.  Got to half way point,refilled my 2 canteens and about 1/2 a 3l camelbak. I Felt good, the hump was easy as shit. Blacked out on the way back. Woke up 5 days later at San clemente icu.  I had a core temp of 109.2

It sucked.  I drank a ton of water, didn't drink alcohol. Smoked occasionally, always went backpacking back home, just happened

And I don't remember anyone getting in trouble. They kept me at pendleton for 2 more months before sending me home, then discharged me a year later.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
109 core temp?

View Quote

Yep. They were water nazi's in 1990 checking humidity and temp.  What color is your pee?!

That's very sad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
109 core temp?

That is the sad, inescapable truth.

May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry OP, that fucking sucks.

RIP Soldier
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Ft Benning in summertime, they monitor the heat index and when it gets to a certain point it's 20 minutes "on" then 20 minutes "off". I clearly remember that during a week long FTX we had.

I also deployed to Panama and for the first 2 weeks it was an article 15 if you were caught outside without your canteen. ( full)

The leadership will probably get letters of reprimand I'm sure.... Training deaths are all preventable.

Sux to hear about your friend OP,  at least he was doing what he loved.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Jesus Christ, dude. That's insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I fell out of a hump at SOI.  We ran out of water at the starting point and I for some reason (squad leader) handed out my own water to anyone short of theirs.  I went down hard.  Partial kidney failure, heat exhaustion.  My PltSgt kept finding me in the truck on the hike and dragging me out to make me continue to hike.  I don't recall ANY of this, but was told after.  I "woke up" that night in the barracks, by that I mean I actually have memories of what was going on.  After all the gear was turned in is when my memories start.  I drank a couple gatorades, pissed dark brown and tried to go to sleep.  Cramped up all night.  Made it to chow the next morning and the smell of food made me so sick to my stomach I went to the head which is where they found me.

Took 8 tries to start and IV on me that morning and it took a 22 gauge needle.  They pumped a L of fluid an hour into me for 12 hours and I didn't piss till the next day.  
Heat will fucking kill you if you are not hydrated.

Jesus Christ, dude. That's insane.

Ya.  It was a bad few days for me.  Lost my squad leader position, so also didn't get a meritorious.  Did get an ass kissing call from the CO while I was laid up in the hospital.  I still need to be very aware about my temp.  My body doesn't really control over heat situations very well anymore.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep. In basic I had the flu, during a formation I passed out, the hospital classed it as a possible heat injury because I was dehydrated, and they nearly relieved people over that. For the remainder of the training cycle if anyone on ft Knox was thirsty we all drank water and were "educated" as to the signs of heat exhaustion/stroke constantly. I remember if I so much as tripped on a rock or stumbled I was going to be wet within seconds. The drills were scared they were going to lose their positions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. In basic I had the flu, during a formation I passed out, the hospital classed it as a possible heat injury because I was dehydrated, and they nearly relieved people over that. For the remainder of the training cycle if anyone on ft Knox was thirsty we all drank water and were "educated" as to the signs of heat exhaustion/stroke constantly. I remember if I so much as tripped on a rock or stumbled I was going to be wet within seconds. The drills were scared they were going to lose their positions.

Out of onterest do they only talk about water or is salt mentioned too?

Iirc a lot of deaths are not dehydration but all salt in the body sweating out causing brain to stop working properly.

Been a while since I read about this stuff.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Back in July/August 1999, while I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, a dude in either 327 or 502 died of a heat injury. He was doing a road march and his Chain of Command was doing the whole forced hydration thing, where they made guys drink X amount of water every so often (every 3 miles of a 12-miler, IIRC), with no leeway given for whether or not the soldier needed it. Most guys will drink water as they're marching. Making them drink X number of canteens per 3 miles, in addition to what they drink on the route, is excessive. The guy basically flushed out all of his electrolytes and when he went down, his core temp was around 106. If I remember correctly, he had been taking some form of weight lifting supplement / protein powder, which the powers-that-be said bore the blame for his death.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Back in July/August 1999, while I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, a dude in either 327 or 502 died of a heat injury. He was doing a road march and his Chain of Command was doing the whole forced hydration thing, where they made guys drink X amount of water every so often (every 3 miles of a 12-miler, IIRC), with no leeway given for whether or not the soldier needed it. Most guys will drink water as they're marching. Making them drink X number of canteens per 3 miles, in addition to what they drink on the route, is excessive. The guy basically flushed out all of his electrolytes and when he went down, his core temp was around 106. If I remember correctly, he had been taking some form of weight lifting supplement / protein powder, which the powers-that-be said bore the blame for his death.
View Quote

You have to be very careful with regards to all of this crap--People are blaming the leadership, but it's entirely possible to do "all the right things", and still have a heat casualty. Or, a cold-weather casualty, for that matter. I've seen it happen in both directions, and it flat-out sucks for the leaders involved. Sometimes, it is a leadership problem, and sometimes it's a personal problem for the casualty. Use of weight-loss drugs, or body-building supplements that is unknown to the leadership can lead to results that kill people despite all possible steps being taken to prevent it. And, then there are things that come out of the woodwork, like the trainee that was in my friends company who made it all the way through MEPS, Basic Training, and then had the hole in his heart tear the rest of the way open during his final APFT for AIT. Dude literally dropped dead at the finish line, and they initially thought it was due to heat stroke or something. Only after the autopsy did they figure it out--He had some really weird congenital heart defect that nobody had ever caught, and he pushed himself so hard to max the APFT run that he literally ran his heart out. If they'd caught it, it could have been fixed with an open-heart surgery and ten minutes worth of suturing. As it was, it blew on him. The drills in that unit were gutted by it all, even after they were told it wasn't their fault. How'd you like to be the guy cheering some soldier on, to max the APFT, and then have him die right at the end of the run? Ugly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Instant replays of being sure to increase your salt intake while eating, salt tablets, etc.

There was one Butterbar who, near the end of an FX, took a couple of salt packets and mixed it with the ice water in his cooler.  Talked about your body needing salt with all that water and such.  The water was still ice cold but the salt made it nearly unpalatable.  It was difficult to drink any of that stuff.

His heart was in the right place, if not his head.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Drill instructors are supposed to watch for symptoms of heat injuries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe now. I had heat STROKE two times in the Mil.  One time after that while working for the Feds.  It was funny how the DI's were your best friend when you did a face plant and then hushed you up. This was in the 70's / 80's Mil time. The other was in Somalia. Not fat, not out of shape, hydrated, but went down. Last time with the Feds it almost killed me. Thank God there was a paramedic / EMT person there with his kit and some very fast transportation. Chilled / cold IV's are the shit when delivered fast.
<<< and look where I live now. I'm in the one teens right now,
Sorry OP,
ETA for OhwOrd: You don't complain.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Whata fucking shame.....sorry the loss of your friend. Really fucking sad....all that hard
work, RIP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking at the before and after, the guy put in big time hard work.  I was 11H for 8 years. One time we had a company formation run, some one had a massive heart attack at the 2 mile mark.  It happens.  It is not fair, but it happens.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry about your friend.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Even back in 1988 at Ft. Leonard Wood they watched the wet bulb like crazy.  Range control would put out the word and we stripped our BDU tops and unbolted our boots.

We had frequent full canteen checks, and at specified intervals would have to upend the canteens over our heads to show we had ingested the required amount of water.

That summer was hot as heck, with a big drought going on, but I don't think I've ever pissed so much before or since.

The drills were serious as a heart attack about heat casualties.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well, even during an FTX.
You sit in the shade unbloused and break out the soldiers manual.
Or go reverse cycle and of night land nav etc.

I was big in checking canteens and forced water breaks.

It's hot as fuck this week here in NC. I'm going to be on my work crew about water and cool downs. We are in Mooresville this week at the coal plant on 150.

Keep this in your heads and be careful this week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know what unit he was with?

This sucks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
He was 25 and had been an EMT and volunteer firefighter prior to going in. He was pretty out of shape and a number of people told him flat out he couldn't get down enough in weight to join. He put his head down, worked hard, and made it happen.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1653512_1649110405309281_7364734458297879943_n.jpg?oh=e43ab501cc8598e9249de2b8c1c1146f&oe=55E7747D
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How old was he?

He was 25 and had been an EMT and volunteer firefighter prior to going in. He was pretty out of shape and a number of people told him flat out he couldn't get down enough in weight to join. He put his head down, worked hard, and made it happen.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1653512_1649110405309281_7364734458297879943_n.jpg?oh=e43ab501cc8598e9249de2b8c1c1146f&oe=55E7747D

Whoever told him that didn't know shit about motivation.

I was in Marine Corps school of infantry with a dude who lost 200 lbs to join up.  His "before" pictures were unreal.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#37]
He died becoming a warrior. He deserves a Hero's burial. Prayers for his parents...
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like he was not being monitored properly. .....Someone worked the boy to death and needs to be put thru the ringer

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
109 core temp?

This is truth. This should not be happening but sadly it will continue. People don't realize how many people are badly injured or killed in military training. The mentality of not showing weakness does not help.

I went to basic during the summer at Fort Knox I can't even count the times we were in heat cat 5 it seemed almost everyday.

This Soldier worked his ass off and this is a loss to the service prayers to the family.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm from AZ and in basic I learned more about heat casualties and proper hydration than my other 18 years combined. That knowledge, my drill sergeants and other leaders kept me from dying a horrible death. It also kept me going in Iraq and Afghanistan. You have to take these things seriously. All that said sometimes this happens and there's not a lot you can do. He sounds like a good soldier and its unfortunate we lost him before he had a chance to do great things.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I saw similar stuff when I was on active duty. One minute, the guy is fine, hydrating the way he's supposed to, and the next, he's down and out with a friggin' needle in his arm. And, in my observation, a lot of this seems to happen when there are constant transitions between AC and high heat/humidity.

I think there's something to the whole thing with people's bodies getting used to AC, and then going outside. I'd rather run the car with no AC, windows open, especially when I'm working outside. Going from 60 degrees to 100 with high humidity can really screw you up, and I think some people's bodies just can't handle the transition very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn. Rip soldier.

Quoted:
109 core temp?

I don't know. I treated a guy that hit 107. He was doing pt, a normal day not a kill you day. I was told - by the guys in his squad, all of whom I trust- that he was as ok as anyone else. He was the last guy in the file, and stumbled. He was apparently out then. The guys carried him at a run back to the aid station where we took over. 1st thermometer said 107. We didn't believe it, so we got a different one. 107 again. I think we had him down to 102 by the time the ambulance arrived.

I don't know if he had been sick or what, or if he had gone out drinking the night before. I know he didn't smell like booze.

His squad leader was a great squad leader. As in, if my boys ever join the military, I'd hope and want they had a squad leader like him. He (the squad leader) told me he looked and acted fine. Right up until he didn't.

So maybe this particular case was preventable, but maybe it wasn't. That said, our guy actually had no residual effects but he almost certainly would have died had good care been delayed much more.

I saw similar stuff when I was on active duty. One minute, the guy is fine, hydrating the way he's supposed to, and the next, he's down and out with a friggin' needle in his arm. And, in my observation, a lot of this seems to happen when there are constant transitions between AC and high heat/humidity.

I think there's something to the whole thing with people's bodies getting used to AC, and then going outside. I'd rather run the car with no AC, windows open, especially when I'm working outside. Going from 60 degrees to 100 with high humidity can really screw you up, and I think some people's bodies just can't handle the transition very well.

And people mocked the Army for not putting AC in the Stryker except for a few select variants.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've emailed Striker to find out how I can go about setting up a charity 5k event post in GD.
View Quote

What part of PA?

ETA: looks like Erie by my googling.  Sorry I am in SEPA.   I doubt I can help with anything but will run.

You and his family are in my thoughts and prayers
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Summers at Fort Campbell are tough.  We did a 10 mile run once in the middle of the day, no camelbacks.  I we defiantly feeling heat injury symptoms near the end and back in my quarters.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm so sorry OP, that is truly sad .

I actually overheated a couple weeks ago. I pushed too hard and things went dark and I couldn't hear. I almost blacked out a few times on the way to the house before getting in a cold shower. I was WELL hydrated and my urine was was virtually clear but it didn't matter, it was just too hot for the amount of work  I was doing. Reading this really drives home the seriousness of heat illnesses.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Having been the guy behind the guy in line for chow who fell out with heat stroke at Benning in basic training, I can relate. So sad and utterly preventable

Our guy made it because we had to haul around coolers with ice, water and iced sheets EVERYWHERE and the Drill Sgt's were on top of it immediately. His core temp spiked at 105.3. This was July in Georgia and week 1 of basic.

He was never the same and was granted a medical discharge after our rotation was through.

Drink water, drink water, drink water! It's a no-BS way to prevent this.

View Quote

My  Daughter finished BMT at Lackland  A F B last  October.
All she told us, is how much hot water they were made to drink.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, to hear, but do not beat yourself up, he died trying to live his dream. Remember the good stuff.

In the mid 80's as an Infantry School instructor, if a trainee went down due to a heat related injury or even a snake bite we were going to get the big green weenie.

Several times as the low ranking guy I would have to go through the confidence or obstacle course and insure that we killed or scared away all of the snakes and spiders. All we had was a stick and a machete, no shot gun for the snakes.

.mil does not like a student dyeing during training.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#49]
That sucks.  Don't blame yourself, it was his trainers' responsibility to monitor him during the training.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
good point this may have air assault school 12 miler, in which case the troop would be on his own without supervision.  The failure of the leadership may have simply been to send a troop to a school too early.  but if you are coming out of Infantry AIT then you should be ready for AA.
View Quote

I did my AAS march in August heat. They had a water buffalo like every two miles with a mandatory 2 minute stop for a medic check and chug water - the time was deducted from your total. Along with that there were 2 jeeps (yeah that's how old I am). With a medic on board to check people who looked like they were lagging.

As others have said this was totally preventable no matter what. Someone needs to be in jail.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top