User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Considering they're basing the movie themes on stuff that was popular in the 80s (comics, games etc.), the logic seems to follow.

Not to mention that Hollywood is all about making money, and will follow a successful formula until it's shown to be beyond played out (Fast and Furious 87: modded mobility scooters).

There are a tiny number of folks who may be visionary (the ones who first try something, eg. The whole found footage thing with The Blair Witch Project), but once something is proven to make money, EVERYONE in Hollywood tries to jump on the bandwagon.

It even happens when something is rumored to be the next big thing (i.e. when a movie is being filmed and word gets around, there will be multiple low budget movies based on the same general theme, or merely rumors of the one movie's theme/concept).
View Quote

Blair Witch pissed me off, boring, nothing happened, what a waste of money. It wasn’t anywhere near the first found footage movie. To see an earlier example that did everything better (not boring, had the actors pretend to disappear to the point the director was charged with murder, still banned in many countries) check out the 1980 Italian movie Cannibal Holocaust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
For what it’s worth I think this D&D movie will be forgettable but fun, I plan to see it and enjoy it
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta' be better than Amazon's LOTR goatf%*&!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing will top The Gamers or Journey Quest
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Where's the fat gray-breaded balding DM with a ponytail?

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing will top The Gamers or Journey Quest
View Quote

ONWARD!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where's the fat gray-breaded balding DM with a ponytail?

View Quote

Dungeons and Dragons Opening Credits and Theme Song
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And then get excited for next products.
View Quote

That's right, Jay!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stronk female. Slightly effeminate white male lead that looks like he auditioned for a New york city based RomCom movie with Emily Blunt but somehow ended up in this movie. Black badass combat male dude. Little 87 lbs red headed teenage girl that can change into an owl bear and wreck 6'7" 250lb males with ease. What could go wrong?
View Quote

I can see how you’d be offended that the white guy was the lead actor and presumed leader of a fictional group of people.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Blair Witch pissed me off, boring, nothing happened, what a waste of money. It wasn’t anywhere near the first found footage movie. To see an earlier example that did everything better (not boring, had the actors pretend to disappear to the point the director was charged with murder, still banned in many countries) check out the 1980 Italian movie Cannibal Holocaust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering they're basing the movie themes on stuff that was popular in the 80s (comics, games etc.), the logic seems to follow.

Not to mention that Hollywood is all about making money, and will follow a successful formula until it's shown to be beyond played out (Fast and Furious 87: modded mobility scooters).

There are a tiny number of folks who may be visionary (the ones who first try something, eg. The whole found footage thing with The Blair Witch Project), but once something is proven to make money, EVERYONE in Hollywood tries to jump on the bandwagon.

It even happens when something is rumored to be the next big thing (i.e. when a movie is being filmed and word gets around, there will be multiple low budget movies based on the same general theme, or merely rumors of the one movie's theme/concept).

Blair Witch wasn't the first, but it was the first of those to garner a LOT of attention and make a good sum of money on a pretty low budget.

The attention + money part is what spawned the crapload of 'found footage' knockoffs (and I'm not a fan of the genre, including TBWP).

I absolutely DETEST shaky cam. A little shaky cam? OK.  ut the found footage genre tends to WAY overuse shaky cam (oh look, it's supposed to be a Professional cameraman, but the footage looks like Michael J Fox was holding the camera. Right...).

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to try dnd, but that would involve having the right kind of nerdy friends.
View Quote

From what I have seen it's been hardcore stoners who played D&D. The nerdy people probably played too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Could be fun.

View Quote

Looks like a nice counterpoint to the recent Lord of the Woke Rings abomination
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Book of Vile Darkness (the third D&D movie, i guess HAT is the Fourth) was actually not that bad in a made for Sci Fi channel type flick.  The Vermin Lord was a cool villain.

Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness / Bezz teaches Grayson

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#14]

At least they have a +5 Vorpal sword in it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m going to watch it and hope my soul get possessed by a demon like the church lady said I would.
View Quote

I never got into D&D, but I remember all the hype about how it was a game to turn kids into satanists. In my 8th grade math class we had to bring in a ruler one day to do angles. One kid in class forgot his, so he got the lid to his D&D game from his locker to use as a straight edge. The teacher came unglued. She said something along the lines of "I WILL NOT HAVE THAT DEMONIC GAME IN MY CLASS ROOM. PUT IT BACK IN YOUR LOCKER, AND NEVER BRING THAT EVIL GAME TO SCHOOL AGAIN!!!!!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I never got into D&D, but I remember all the hype about how it was a game to turn kids into satanists. In my 8th grade math class we had to bring in a ruler one day to do angles. One kid in class forgot his, so he got the lid to his D&D game from his locker to use as a straight edge. The teacher came unglued. She said something along the lines of "I WILL NOT HAVE THAT DEMONIC GAME IN MY CLASS ROOM. PUT IT BACK IN YOUR LOCKER, AND NEVER BRING THAT EVIL GAME TO SCHOOL AGAIN!!!!!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The main character is a bard? That's new
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
That's totally unrealistic.  A level 1 party and they survive an encounter with Tiamat?  I'm outraged, outraged I say.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't see Queen Butt Stallion, what gives?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
well at least MST3K is making shows again. Money down this will be one of their next picks.

looks bad.. like bad bad. not even good bad (army of darkness).
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m going to watch it and hope my soul get possessed by a demon like the church lady said I would.

Probably saved your life, and your soul.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Deception Check | 1 For All | D&D Comedy Web-Series

Long Rest | 1 For All | D&D Comedy Web-Series
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For the longest time I thought D&D was a cartoon I watched as a kid.
View Quote

It was a good one too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Owlbear? mimic? displacer beast? I'm in.

My kids are gonna love this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This looks like it will be "not good" and yet a lot of fun. Panned by critics, not understood by mundanes, but enjoyed by all of us DnD nerds.

Good cast.
View Quote

Never split up the party.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wish they would do an Icewind Dale Trilogy...as a starter for Drizzt. As long as they would keep it from being woke...that would make some bank. R.A. Salvatore has a gift for words. You can get a perfect picture in your. Head of.the fight.
Elminster's story would also be engaging. Ed Greenwood has a knack for the same type of writing and subtle humor that is also contemporary.
View Quote

Drizzt would fucking suck.

Elminsters story would be badass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I had assumed this was for some streaming service and was like "meh, not bad for a streaming service movie, might be fun."

Then I saw it was a theatrical release.

if the CGI in the trailer looks that bad, how will the rest look?

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Ain’t he posta to be workin’ on me a new Cap’n Kirk movie instead of this stuff?

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ain’t he posta to be workin’ on me a new Cap’n Kirk movie instead of this stuff?

View Quote

Star Trek is Dungeons & Dragons with Space Ships instead of sailing ships and phasers instead of magic wands, transporters instead of teleporting.

Are you happy now?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's totally unrealistic.  A level 1 party and they survive an encounter with Tiamat?  I'm outraged, outraged I say.

View Quote

A TPK would make for a really short series.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sets and costume look like shit.

CGI looks like shit.

Story is gonna suck.

Looks PG13.

Skip
View Quote

Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#34]
It's got Michelle Rodriguez in it. That's already on the wrong path .
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Elminsters story would be badass.
View Quote

Yeah, especially when he was a woman and attracted/sexing up men.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Owlbear!!  I’m in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope its as good as my favorite D&D based movie...

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

(And I'm not joking, I love that movie.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Long time fan and DM. It looks better than the terrible movie from 2001 or so. That being said I am not optimistic.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks pretty fun. Wish it was coming out sooner.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope its as good as my favorite D&D based movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw

(And I'm not joking, I love that movie.)
View Quote

Their flicks are great. Check out the one before that. The Gamers. Then Journey Quest.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top