Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen an Irish Setter in ages.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Every cocker spaniel I've ever known was a biter.
I like mixed mutts. They're healthier and usually smarter than purebred dogs.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m a personal fan of the American Mixed Breed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My cocker died a couple months ago.  Had fun for 15 years.  He was an absolutely fabulous dog in every way.  I would have anothe cocker in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would have to move to take a photo and then the Dalmatian asleep on the couch next to me would move. I will say she does indeed draw attention with lots of folks remarking that they cannot remember the last time they saw a Dalmatian.
View Quote
My wife has a friend with one, and they really are striking dogs when seen in real life.

Our farmers market, if it ever opens this year, has turned into a neat amateur dog show. The Great Dane people get together, Dalmatians, lots of Pomeranians in Radio Flyer wagons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guilty, we had one as a kid. Backyard breeder and everything. Such a dumb move by my parents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't seen Dalmatians in a while...

Guilty, we had one as a kid. Backyard breeder and everything. Such a dumb move by my parents.

Friend of mine got two.  A couple of times we visited he would have to close them up in a room and he got bit both times.  Way more patience than I would have had.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My last pooch was an American Eskimo-Chow cross.  

She looked exactly like your Esky except her coat was Chow Chow fawn color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My last pooch was an American Eskimo-Chow cross.  

She looked exactly like your Esky except her coat was Chow Chow fawn color.

I haven’t seen as many chows over the past few years.  When volunteering as a medic, a twelve year old girl got bit.  She was getting shocky, sweating and pale.  When I unwrapped the towel her mother had wrapped her leg with, her calf muscle had been detached below her knee and it almost fell out of the towel.  I got it wrapped back with the towel and wrapped over it with curlex.  Dog was a neighbors and their daughter took the girl who got bit into their back yard.  Dog attacked without provocation.  The girl was in surgery a couple of hours later.  Too hot down her for those dogs and they seem to be aggressive to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't see as many Collies as I did as kid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I haven’t seen as many chows over the past few years.  When volunteering as a medic, a twelve year old girl got bit.  She was getting shocky, sweating and pale.  When I unwrapped the towel her mother had wrapped her leg with, her calf muscle had been detached below her knee and it almost fell out of the towel.  I got it wrapped back with the towel and wrapped over it with curlex.  Dog was a neighbors and their daughter took the girl who got bit into their back yard.  Dog attacked without provocation.  The girl was in surgery a couple of hours later.  Too hot down her for those dogs and they seem to be aggressive to begin with.
View Quote

They are an aggressive breed. As my vet likes to say “know why they’re called chow-chows? Because the breeders wouldn’t be able to sell them as bite-bites.”
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Racing greyhounds are becoming scarcer now that more tracks are closing. The last remaining Alabama track just closed this week.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/nearly-600-dogs-now-need-new-homes/32228836

There's an AKC greyhound but it's barely the same breed IMHO and doesn't have the same athleticism.

None of the adoption groups around here have had new hounds for a while. Good for the dogs I guess.
View Quote

My wife and I adopted a retired racer a couple months ago.

Theres going to be a flood of dogs available when the Florida tracks close by the end of the year. Our local adoption group got 5 in today.

Shes been an absolutely great dog so far, we want a second.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Dalmations
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Cardigan Corgi’s.

One lives with me, but he’s old and unwell, never seen another.

Plenty of Pembrokes, lost one in 2018, have a younger one, see them often enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They are an aggressive breed. As my vet likes to say “know why they’re called chow-chows? Because the breeders wouldn’t be able to sell them as bite-bites.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a guy that took a chow from a coworker because he was having a trouble with it.  Guy had it a couple of weeks with no issues, then he started his night shift rotation.  His girlfriend, who also hadn’t had any issues up to that point, got chased into a bedroom when it decided to go after her, unprovoked.  She called him at work, so he clocked out and went home to see what was happening.  Dog went after him when he got there.  Someone else took it and it finally got put down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/UqLg1Rq.jpg

Theres going to be a flood of dogs available when the Florida tracks close by the end of the year. Our local adoption group got 5 in today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Racing greyhounds are becoming scarcer now that more tracks are closing. The last remaining Alabama track just closed this week.

There's an AKC greyhound but it's barely the same breed IMHO and doesn't have the same athleticism.

None of the adoption groups around here have had new hounds for a while. Good for the dogs I guess.

We had two that we adopted when I was a kid. Poor things didn't know anything besides racing and being inside of their kennels when we got them. We had to teach them how to go up and down stairs (we had three steps that went out to the garage and then the backyard and they were both confused as could be the first time we took them out). They were incredibly lazy most of the time and would just lay on the floor where the sun came in from the windows. We had an above ground pool in the backyard that they turned into their very own track and would run laps around it. Then come back inside and lay on the floor in the sun. They were great with all of us kids and would let us lay on them and do anything except touch their ears. They were good dogs. I haven't seen one in a while though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know a guy that took a chow from a coworker because he was having a trouble with it.  Guy had it a couple of weeks with no issues, then he started his night shift rotation.  His girlfriend, who also hadn’t had any issues up to that point, got chased into a bedroom when it decided to go after her, unprovoked.  She called him at work, so he clocked out and went home to see what was happening.  Dog went after him when he got there.  Someone else took it and it finally got put down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cousin got attacked by the neighbor's chow when he was 7. Broke his arm and got his face pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Had an Australian bearded collie growing up - great dog but a little high maintenance for East Texas
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We had two that we adopted when I was a kid. Poor things didn't know anything besides racing and being inside of their kennels when we got them. We had to teach them how to go up and down stairs (we had three steps that went out to the garage and then the backyard and they were both confused as could be the first time we took them out). They were incredibly lazy most of the time and would just lay on the floor where the sun came in from the windows. We had an above ground pool in the backyard that they turned into their very own track and would run laps around it. Then come back inside and lay on the floor in the sun. They were great with all of us kids and would let us lay on them and do anything except touch their ears. They were good dogs. I haven't seen one in a while though.
View Quote

Play hard, sleep hard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Cur dogs and mutts pretty common down here
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I haven't seen an Irish Setter in ages.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On the inverse side, I've been shocked by the explosion in popularity of the Vizsla.

I grew up with them. I do not think they are good dogs for the vast majority of people who own them.
View Quote

My next door neighbor has three Vizslas. I'm not a fan of them, either.

A friend of mine, a few blocks away, has three or four full-size Poodles.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I don’t have much to add to this thread, other than to state the obvious...the Beagle is the finest dog in the world.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad to see Shelties didn’t make anyone’s list. I love this breed. Loyal and selfless to the end. 36 years having them in my life. The “pack” mentality is  strong. They eat and drink from the same bowls. All they want is to be with you, and you with them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
We have a Catahoula/Black mouth cur cross.   It is an interesting cross.  A lot of the Catahoula drive but some what controllable.

My Dad has a major problem with Komondors.  He has three full blood and two komondor/poodle crosses right now.  Neat dog.  Very protective. Smart.  Just really big and strong.   One of the ones he has is a male that was three years old when they flew it in.  They had to order a custom made extension for the largest air cargo dog kennel made.  Then the nearest airport that could take it was five hours away.  Imagine driving for five hours one way to pick up a 150 pound dog you have never met.  Getting it out of a big metal box and trying to get it in your small truck for a five hour drive back home.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom had a big black male Chow. SOB looked like a lion and he and my mom thought he actually was one........ till he tried my 90lb. male Dobe.

1st time I broke it up after the Chow started it and wound up on the bottom getting rag-dolled.

Got mine calmed down in the garage and I'll be damned if that Chow wasn't waiting for him when he left the garage.

Jumped him from high ground as soon as he cleared the garage. The Dobe reacted prior to contact and rolled over and came up on top and went to WORK.

I went looking for a Coke.  Then mom came out and freaked at her high dollar dog all scuffed up and bloodied. Ears ripped half off and shit.

She took that SOB and tied his ass up before he got deaded.

Big bad Chow.  LOL  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#27]
We’ve had Cairn Terriers for 30 years, couldn’t imagine life without one. This is Carson, our latest. So much character and courage in a small dog, Carson’s two best friends are a 115 pound Rott and an 85 pound lab. They chase and wrestle constantly and he holds his own, all 20 pounds of him. He also has decided he’s a squirrel dog and will tree them and stay with them tracking them from tree to tree and constantly alerting if he can see them. I plan to take him squirrel hunting this fall.

For those that love to put down AKC show dogs, his mom was best Cairn at the Westminster dog show last year.  He has been absolutely flawless. He potty trained in about three days and works off lead very well, just a great well behaved dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A lot of families are looking for an amusing and affectionate couch potato dog to hang out with them. The pug is pretty much perfect for that job.
View Quote

I'd say more people need to look at Cotons but we don't need that breed being destroyed by popularity either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
American Fox Hound. I've seen 2 in my life and I have owned them bothhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117398/20200102_120023_jpg-1380969.JPG
View Quote

Looks just like what we call Walker hounds here in the deep south. Real popular with coon hunters here. One of my favorite dogs was a Walker mix. Not that bright, but have more heart than any dog breed I know of. You should see them on a hunt. If you did not catch them up, they'd run themselves to death. I've see my my uncle's old Walker grab wild grape vines with his teeth trying to get at a treed raccoon.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m a personal fan of the American Mixed Breed.
View Quote

Me, too. One of the perks of living rurally is the never ending flow of dumped dogs to pick from. I can't recall ever owning a pure bread dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
When is the last time that you saw a Gordon Setter?

For that matter an Irish or English either.

Not many Airedales left either, especially proper wedge headed working Airedales instead of sausage headed show dogs.

I haven't seen a Samoyed in a while either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've seen 1 Komondor in my 42yrs on this earth, and it was owned by a family member. Edit: They look, feel and smell exactly how you'd expect.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258165/Komondor_jpg-1380943.JPG
View Quote

Like a shit stained mop?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I've only ever met one Great Pyrenees.  That was a hell of a lot of white dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

That yawn puts me to sleep.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had quite a few dogs in my life.

The best dog I had by far was a Dobe.

Had many good dogs and a few bad ones.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed that some rescues are bringing hounds over from Australia, Ireland, Spain etc. I was going to get one but instead ended up with what I call the anti-greyhound (avatar).
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
What I used to see in the 70's that I hardly ever see anymore?  Collies and Irish Setters.  
Replaced by xxxDoodle's of every variant and size.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've seen 1 Komondor in my 42yrs on this earth, and it was owned by a family member. Edit: They look, feel and smell exactly how you'd expect.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258165/Komondor_jpg-1380943.JPG
View Quote

I've seen a few at the National Dog Show (the one on tv on Thanksgiving).  They smell awful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't see many full size purebred poodles. Thankfully.
View Quote
I don't have one, but if I bought purebreds, they would be on my list . They have a silly reputation from the stupid haircuts, but they are awesome dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My step mother-in-law just had to put hers down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scottish terrier.

Used to see them often when I was a kid.

Can't remember the last time I saw one.
My step mother-in-law just had to put hers down.  

I bought my Wife one for our first Christmas together. A big dog in a compact package, and the best rabbit dog I ever hunted over. I had an uncle that raised beagles.
Great dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
You don't see many thicc bois.

Damn BOI HE THICC (with audio)
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't see too many Bassett hounds anymore, or schnauzers.

I also wish there were less chihuahuas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any breed of dog that has doodle in it is a mutt. Mostly good dogs but still a mutt.
View Quote
Do you mean my mastador shepherd is a mutt?  Dammit, I drove fifteen miles to pick him up, and now you say he's a mutt. I'm going to have to go wake him up and let him know.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dobermans and Rottweilers don't seem to be as common anymore.
View Quote

The kind of people wanting a good German working dog and are willing to pay for it buy a GSD.

So most of the buyers for rotts and Dobermans are poors who can't save up $2k+ for a dog, and they get shittily bred dogs from other poors.

Sucks because both breeds are great dogs when well bred.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lots of dogs are now pit mixes, and you're a bad person if you don't rescue one from a shelter. So instead of researching a breed and finding a reputable breeder folks just go to a shelter.
View Quote

The overwhelming vast majority of which should simply be humanely euthanized.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pure breds in general seem to be declining.  Sad, because generations of work go into breeding specific, refined physical and mental capabilities.  I'm a breed snob.  Each breed exists for a reason.

View Quote

Fuckin Amen to that.

No matter what kind of person you are or what your lifestyle is, there's a good dog breed for you.  Hint: That dog is NOT at a shelter or "rescue".
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't see too many Bassett hounds anymore, or schnauzers.

I also wish there were less chihuahuas.
View Quote

When I was younger I had a 1/2 bassett/1/2 beagle dog, Jasper. He was the coolest dog, nothing ever bothered him. I call Gideon my Jasper.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You don't see many thicc bois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-9yPnL9aY
View Quote

Oddly enough, I’ve seen a number of fat labs, usually black or chocolate. Every one of their owners has said that it’s not due to over feeding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The kind of people wanting a good German working dog and are willing to pay for it buy a GSD.

So most of the buyers for rotts and Dobermans are poors who can't save up $2k+ for a dog, and they get shittily bred dogs from other poors.

Sucks because both breeds are great dogs when well bred.
View Quote

I always wanted either a Rottie or a Doberman over a GSD. Good friends of mine paid big $$$ for a bloodline GSD, had him "trained" at Petco and he's as sharp as a bag of wet hair.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top