Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to be in them minority here, but demanding fuel economy standards have made vehicles better than ever before.
View Quote
In the 1980s, VW was cranking out cars and small pickups that got 45 to 50 mpg highway (I've owned a few and have verified that).  Since then, the EPA has gone full retard and put a stop to that, thanks to the "diesel is bad" manta from the left.  They didn't even want VW importing the small diesels that were getting close to 80mpg in Europe.

Cities have smog problems largely because of cars sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.  In the 1970s, those idling cars were polluting worse than the same cars doing 55mph on the highway, because they idled rich.  Since then, a lot of the gasoline engine emissions development has been toward making gasoline engines idle leaner.  Diesels have always idled lean.  At idle, a diesel is running so lean that it is almost completely running on air, because you throttle them down by leaning them out.  I have taken a 1980s F-250 diesel through emissions testing and gotten a result of 'zero measurable emissions', because the testing is done at idle (the condition where cars are cranking out smog in the cities).  I've done the same with 1980s VW diesels.

Putting dipshit, brain damaged, liberal activists in positions where they set government policies on industry regulations, is what has been killing the economy in this country.  It doesn't save the environment, doesn't really advance technology (though it does occasionally do it by accident), and doesn't make life better, because it results in government by 'feels', and that leads to tossing out what actually works, in favor of unicorn farts and rainbows.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been skimming this thread, Will toyota hiluxes be importable now?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't really care if you consider solar energy as the primary sustainable source of energy, but its not accurate to characterize sustainable energy that way.  The economics for solar can make sense in many cases.  I haven't looked into this for some time, but in a place like Arizona, where there is ~220 W/m2 of solar (based on memory, this could be wrong), the NPV of installing solar panels can make sense.  The research side of conversion efficiency is still strong, which is great.  At the end of they day, a super long term plan focuses on finite resources that outweigh other finite resources.

FWIW I'm a chemical engineer by education, where thermodynamics and economics are the primary bases of my education.  I won't touch on the logical fallacies that can be drawn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a viewpoint backed up by the laws of thermodynamics and economics, meaning it's neither "sad" nor "happy"; it's simply that things like solar at this point are boondoggle projects that get fewer watts of energy into the grid per unit expended than drilling wells.

Maybe one day, but every government subsidy pushes that day further off because why improve your efficiency when you're getting bukkaked with taxpayer money?
I don't really care if you consider solar energy as the primary sustainable source of energy, but its not accurate to characterize sustainable energy that way.  The economics for solar can make sense in many cases.  I haven't looked into this for some time, but in a place like Arizona, where there is ~220 W/m2 of solar (based on memory, this could be wrong), the NPV of installing solar panels can make sense.  The research side of conversion efficiency is still strong, which is great.  At the end of they day, a super long term plan focuses on finite resources that outweigh other finite resources.

FWIW I'm a chemical engineer by education, where thermodynamics and economics are the primary bases of my education.  I won't touch on the logical fallacies that can be drawn
What is the NPV of  installing solar panels on your car?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
View Quote
There are only a couple ways to boost fuel economy standards.

Make the vehicle lighter, or obscene and expensive technology.

Since most huge vehicles are still in the 10-12 MPG range today, I dont see how this would have even been possible to achieve so your big trucks and SUVs would have likely been banned. Which is what the communists wanted in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I suspect this is untrue.
They really do hold a TON of potential, over IC cars.
There are so many fewer moving parts and less friction and heat wastes.
It's just a matter of time for the MARKET to get us there, and FBHO for pushing this on us (and his predecessors)
View Quote
Electric vehicles are going nowhere until they can charge on the fly from the road, like a slot car or electric trolley.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
this gives me a chubby.  now let's make diesels great again
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm going to be in them minority here, but demanding fuel economy standards have made vehicles better than ever before.
View Quote
No - vehicles are better DESPITE idiotic government mandates, and the best and most interesting ones are the ones that don't meet the standards.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just hoping that this allows for more design options. All cars and trucks look alike now because of air resistance standards (I think that's why anyway).

All I want is a 1940's looking pickup truck with airbags and air conditioning.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The energy to operate them.  Go to a machine shop that builds engines and try to spin an installed cam by hand ....
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Americans don't want what the government wants in the auto sector.

I'll debate anyone on this.
View Quote
One of the first 5 posts in this thread was someone saying this was a bad idea, and implying that they want more government involvement in the auto sector.

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Provably false.  The following graphic shows that the regulatory era only changed a trend that would have self-corrected.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I suspect this is untrue.
They really do hold a TON of potential, over IC cars.
There are so many fewer moving parts and less friction and heat wastes.
It's just a matter of time for the MARKET to get us there, and FBHO for pushing this on us (and his predecessors)
View Quote
Here's just one quick article that thinks like me so I don't have to type three pages on my phone to present my case.

But it's far from clear that this story embodies a wholesale shift in consumer behavior. People continue to own stuff. And people continue to not use everything they own in the most economically advantageous manner.

Even more telling is the non-growth of the EV market, at the same time the internal-combustion market has boomed. Almost 34 million vehicles have been sold over the past two years in the US alone - and nearly all them run on gas.
View Quote
Goes over a fair bit of why they won't
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One of the first 5 posts in this thread was someone saying this was a bad idea, and implying that they want more government involvement in the auto sector.

View Quote
The market speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Please, for the love of God, I hope this brings back V8 engines and retards the trend for small turbo engines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Please, for the love of God, I hope this brings back V8 engines and retards the trend for small turbo engines.
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to run a diesel again if they'd ditch the cow piss and exhaust filter
I want an all mechanical diesel.
Mega Dittos

Fack just wasted my 7777 post on this?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which V-8's?

Late 60's V-8's, or mid-80's V8's?

The last thing the world needs is more 160 horse, 0-60 in 10 seconds V-8's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have always wondered how in the hell the government has the power to mandate fuel efficiency standards.
View Quote
It's in the constitution, right next to 'separation of church and state',  gay cakes, and bump-stock bans
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which V-8's?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which V-8's?

Not like you have to worry living in Zimbabwe, they probably don't have any V8s there....
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which V-8's?

View Quote
Modern V8s, clearly...
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like a truck that gets 100mpg and 1000hp
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Until you've have one for a few years and have to start replacing all of the various components that cost a fortune. For example look up direct injection valve issues. Manufacturers are having to build disposable cars with serious problems for long term/secondhand ownership in order to chase unrealistic regulations, that will compromise engines and ironically emissions later in life.

The current epa mpg regs and the nhtsa safety regs that are adding weight to vehicles are at odds. The outcome of this is increased cost of vehicles, demanding that you go farther into debt to buy the most basic of vehicles, limiting your financial freedom. And eventually making vehicles too costly for average people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Compact fusion reactor trucks!

Thanks SkunkWorks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
As I recall, one of the truck magazines did a series of articles on a rebuild and upgrade of a late 1980s/early 1990s Dodge 3/4 ton pickup.  They sunk a lot of money into a Cummins 5.9 engine, put a 6 speed automatic on it, played with the gearing, and tested the results on a chassis dyno and on the highway.

As I recall, the dyno was showing something in the 700 to 800 hp range, and the highway mpg (keeping a light foot on the throttle) was around 30.

People have been doing engine swaps to put Cummins 3.9 (4BT) engines into half ton pickups.  Should be interesting to see what could be done with those, if somebody wanted to sink some money into optimizing it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nationwide the grid is already in the shitters.  Now add another billion watts of load every day, sure it's gonna work out just fine.

When was the last new power plant built in California?

What's paying for the hundreds of thousands charging stations and how long it's going to take?

Be real.
View Quote
You're right... but you also underestimate how fast industry and technology move when there is money to be made?
Who'd have imagined the ability to make microprocessors that exists now, only 25 years ago?

New York 5th Ave, 1900 & 1920. Look at the change.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Electric vehicles are going nowhere until they can charge on the fly from the road, like a slot car or electric trolley.
View Quote
Inductive Charging. It could happen in cities.
What about faster charging? Something more balanced between a capacitor and a battery?

I believe technology will get us there.  But when?  (I'm not arguing for the government to mandate it)
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here's just one quick article that thinks like me so I don't have to type three pages on my phone to present my case.

Goes over a fair bit of why they won't
View Quote
Thanks. I'll read it. But, it is unfair to point out no one is buying EVs right now, as they aren't that great yet... they are in their infancy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You're right... but you also underestimate how fast industry and technology move when there is money to be made?
Who'd have imagined the ability to make microprocessors that exists now, only 25 years ago?

New York 5th Ave, 1900 & 1920. Look at the change.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46582/1900-499192.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46582/1920-499193.JPG
View Quote
Who gonna pay for all of these things?

Look at the public transportation, that's what you gonna get.

Electric vehicle manufacturers are just like the solar/wind energy industry, they are not self-sustainable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Who gonna pay for all of these things?

Look at the public transportation, that's what you gonna get.

Electric vehicle manufacturers are just like the solar/wind energy industry, they are not self-sustainable.
View Quote
Exactly untill they are cheaper and better electric cars will not sell in any meaningful amount.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks. I'll read it. But, it is unfair to point out no one is buying EVs right now, as they aren't that great yet... they are in their infancy.
View Quote
Well aside from simply market choice, they have a lot of hurdles to overcome.

- Charging time vs refueling time.
- Infrastructure for recharging
- Cost to purchase
- Range (and loss of range to cold weather)

And that's with MILLIONS of taxpayer money going into all that... they still aren't gaining market share.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If it's viable enough for them to make bank, then do it.
View Quote
All we've seen up until now is shitty mandates and taxpayer's money
being funneled to these 'green' industries.

The 'changes' in your pictures had nothing to do with government force
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not a fan of this.

I would rather my vehicle get 50mpg than 15mpg...but this isn't gonna ruin my life.
View Quote
Zero's policy was unattainable. It was another attempt to cause the free market and capitalism to fail...and then step in and pick the winners. That's crony capitalism, which is no capitalism at all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I don’t think this decision is going to make much of a difference.  I’ve sat down with the heads of three of the Alabama OEM facilities and everyone of them said the same thing.  They are too far down the road in development and investment to just stop the path towards better fuel efficiency.  The introduction of new materials to light-weight vehicles, new engine tech, electric tech, etc. is still moving forward.  It will allow them to throttle back expectations as the EPA targets were damn near impossible to hit, but the things they have been working on will get refined and implemented in product models moving forward.

The introduction of electric vehicles has done more to further hybrid development than 100% EV development.  Most cars produced in the next 20years will still be gas powered but with hybrid tech seeing strong emergence.

This could however open the doors to other competition from afar from new manufacturers not yet in the US or models currently not sold in the US via Mehindra, Toyota (Hilux), etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good start stop fuck off
View Quote
I read an article a year or two back that said "start/stop" will save most drivers two gallons of gasoline per year. Over ten years, it will save drivers 20 gallons, and at $3 per gallon, that's $60 in savings, while "start/stop" costs about an additional $250 per vehicle.

There's government thinking for you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not a fan of this.

I would rather my vehicle get 50mpg than 15mpg...but this isn't gonna ruin my life.
View Quote
Go buy a prius.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
How long til a judge in Hawaii blocks it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Provably false.  The following graphic shows that the regulatory era only changed a trend that would have self-corrected.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217005/Fuel_History-499165.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217005/Fuel_History-499165.JPG
I see Batman swinging across the city.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I read an article a year or two back that said "start/stop" will save most drivers two gallons of gasoline per year. Over ten years, it will save drivers 20 gallons, and at $3 per gallon, that's $60 in savings, while "start/stop" costs about an additional $250 per vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good start stop fuck off

First buttons I hit in my wife’s and my vehicles is turning the Stop/Start off.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
If the demand for fuel efficient cars is there then the companies will make them.

Don't force them to make products their consumers don't want.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's fine, but I somehow don't believe the cost of cars is going to drop 20%.
View Quote
Not immediately because revenue from today’s car sales is paying today’s development costs for tomorrow’s cars. However competition will dive prices lower in a short time as development costs dropping as a result of the CAFE roll back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Wish they’d fix the BS they put on tractors, tier whatever.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I think auto makers have had it wrong all along.
Deisel or gas over electric over the road trucks.  Maybe turbine over electric that might burn anything not just Deisel.
Hybred pickups.  
Magpul plastic body panels for complete durability on all cars trucks. {hail damage? fucketh you}
Two cycle gas engines.

But really Ofuckface and his band of cuntcommiecocksukers had it in mind to limit peoples ability to afford cars and trucks and push them into mass transit.  
We have no mass transit in most of the country.  {they don't care we can just foad}

And the fucking government shouldn't dictate what any industry can do.  
Mahh gas cans, light bulbs and fucking terlets.

You guys know those tags that are not to be removed? Yea I pull every fucking one off.
Those shower heads that only spray enough water to wet you down?  Yea I drill or remove every limiter.
Light bulbs that are actually light bulbs? Actually I kind of like the new LEDs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Inductive Charging. It could happen in cities.
What about faster charging? Something more balanced between a capacitor and a battery?

I believe technology will get us there.  But when?  (I'm not arguing for the government to mandate it)
View Quote
Capacitive is a non-starter until the safety issues are solved.  Ever seen the inside of a tube guitar amp that blew a capacitor?  A lot of energy released all at once gets 'splody.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Make cars not a bunch of overpriced soulless blobs again!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
View Quote
How many companies have already been caught fudging the numbers on emissions??

Do you like being lied to?  If things keep going....that's what is going to happen.

Gov't  can set ridiculous standards with the swipe of a pen.
Achieving those standards is whole other ball game.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Can we PLEASE get the ethanol removed from our gas?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#47]
More good news for Tesla.

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love my e85 though let me keep that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Good, now Ford can put v8''s back in their trucks, hopefully as twin turbo models.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reality and physics come to mind.  Why not make the standards 200mpg?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top