Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How about scrapping corn fuel and give us back regular gas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t think this decision is going to make much of a difference.  I’ve sat down with the heads of three of the Alabama OEM facilities and everyone of them said the same thing.  They are too far down the road in development and investment to just stop the path towards better fuel efficiency.  The introduction of new materials to light-weight vehicles, new engine tech, electric tech, etc. is still moving forward.  It will allow them to throttle back expectations as the EPA targets were damn near impossible to hit, but the things they have been working on will get refined and implemented in product models moving forward.

The introduction of electric vehicles has done more to further hybrid development than 100% EV development.  Most cars produced in the next 20years will still be gas powered but with hybrid tech seeing strong emergence.

This could however open the doors to other competition from afar from new manufacturers not yet in the US or models currently not sold in the US via Mehindra, Toyota (Hilux), etc.
View Quote
No one is talking about trashing the lines and starting up production of 68 GTOs (but that would be sweet) We are talking about rolling back the emission standards.
If you look at what a delete kit for a truck does its amazing if they just roll out of the factory like that it would be incredible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, now corn sqeezings need to be taken out of our gas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
So much this!

Aside from decreasing fuel economy and adding to the cost it also fucks up small engines. End the farm welfare that is ethanol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
View Quote
Presumably, if consumers preferred more fuel efficient vehicles, the auto manufacturers would be producing more of them to meet the consumer demand.

There are already vehicles whose fuel efficiency meets or exceeds that threshold. Since consumers aren’t buying those vehicles exclusively, we can surmise that they tend to prefer other features more than increased fuel economy.

The bottom line is that eliminating this EPA mandate is a plus for consumer choice, allowing each person more flexibility in deciding which vehicles and which combinations of fuel economy and other features best serve their own needs at a given price point.

Obama, like most liberals, believes that the world works better when the government eliminates a greater degree of choice from markets. The Obama era EPA guideline in question reflects that worldview.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love my e85 though let me keep that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can we PLEASE get the ethanol removed from our gas?
I've got no qualms about that!  Free market and all that shit, but damn it can we stop the ethanol subsidies and let consumers decide.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Reality and physics come to mind.  Why not make the standards 200mpg?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
Reality and physics come to mind.  Why not make the standards 200mpg?
200mpg is doable, but it would require no more than two seats, no more than three wheels (allows bypassing the crash standards for cars), and a one or two cylinder engine of something under 200cc.  Probably won't have a top speed higher than 55mph (might not even be that high), but you aren't going to want to be out playing with the big trucks on the interstate, so you won't really need much speed.

ETA:  Anybody remember the two wheel thing that looked like a stretched (to two seats in tandem) fuselage of a BD5J (mini jet that was used in one of the James Bond movies) built as a motorcycle with enclosed seating?  It had little outrigger wheels that popped out below a certain speed.

I thought about that thing a few days ago, and I can't remember what it was called.

ETA2:  The outriggers popping out, is a feature of the much newer EcoMobile.  The one I was trying to remember was the Bede Litestar.  100mpg at 55mph.  Add newer materials to lighten it up, and a newer (smaller) engine, and 200mpg is not impossible.

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The 2025 targets are mostly impossible to meet.  Another dumbass Obama policy, intended to eventually keep us from driving at all.  They want us to herd into the large cities and use public transportation, so they want to make driving your own vehicle cost-prohibitive.  "They" meaning Progressives/Communists/Globalists, of course.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think people see the big picture with fuel economy.  Higher requirements force innovation to focus on compliance, which with these regs ends up being a reduction on reliance of oil.  Even with US oil production increasing, moving towards a sustainable energy source (hydro is huge in the NW) insulates us from a global commodity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't think people see the big picture with fuel economy.  Higher requirements force innovation to focus on compliance, which with these regs ends up being a reduction on reliance of oil.  Even with US oil production increasing, moving towards a sustainable energy source (hydro is huge in the NW) insulates us from a global commodity.
Quoted:
I'll have to disagree.  I think we need to keep pushing manufacturers to develop more and more fuel efficient cars.  Gas prices will just keep going up, and it will affect economic growth in the future.  It will also affect national security as the world oil supply diminishes and we need fuel for military use.
Quoted:
I'm going to be in them minority here, but demanding fuel economy standards have made vehicles better than ever before.
Funny how it always comes down to the need to force these "good ideas" onto us.

If they're such great ideas, why do they always need to be mandated?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Funny how it always comes down to the need to force these "good ideas" onto us.

If they're such great ideas, why do they always need to be mandated?
View Quote
I've tried to explain that concept to liberals.  If they want people to 'go green', they need to make it the affordable option, or at least competitive in price.  If they have to use government mandates, or government subsidies to make it an affordable option, people will not only reject it, but become hostile to the idea and try to go in the opposite direction, because they are being forced to accept something that is clearly not a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
MAGA

FUCK OBAMA FUCK EPA FUCK CALIFORNIA FUCK GLOBAL WARMING HYSTERIA

MAGA
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can we PLEASE get the ethanol removed from our gas?
As long as I'm not subsidizing it, like now.  Knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First buttons I hit in my wife’s and my vehicles is turning the Stop/Start off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good start stop fuck off
I read an article a year or two back that said "start/stop" will save most drivers two gallons of gasoline per year. Over ten years, it will save drivers 20 gallons, and at $3 per gallon, that's $60 in savings, while "start/stop" costs about an additional $250 per vehicle.

There's government thinking for you.
First buttons I hit in my wife’s and my vehicles is turning the Stop/Start off.
Start/stop and cylinder deactivation are both retarded, and neither belongs in our vehicle.  Way more cost, complexity, and problems than they are worth for their miniscule gains in fuel economy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The standards are arbitrarily set by people who have no technical background.

They mandate fuel economy and safety equipment without ever considering the trade offs in cost vs actual improvements.
View Quote
The renewable fuel one is even worse, especially coupled with the ethanol subsidy lobby.

The government has "approved" the use of E15 (gasoline with 15% ethanol) in passenger cars MY 2001 and newer.

Not the manufacturers of those cars. Not the engineers that designed and spec'ed the engines and fuel systems. Or fucking anybody that knows what the hell they are talking about.

A governmental organization that is nominally devoted to "protecting the environment" is the one who declared that the fuel was to be used in normal passenger cars. Cars that were never designed to run on such a fuel. Cars whose fuel systems can suffer damage from use of such fuels, particularly over the long term. But it's all okay because the government said so.

(E85 is fine with me - that's for use in vehicles designed for it, and you can really have some fun with it due to its high AKI, even if the energy content is lower. E15 is just fucking stupid.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't  get 110 at the pump like we used to, but e85 can make some big power. I would pay a premium for it not one tear shed, just want it available for big boost aplications.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can't  get 110 at the pump like we used to, but e85 can make some big power. I would pay a premium for it not one tear shed, just want it available for big boost aplications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.  Even in the little eco boost f150 they are doing some crazy stuff with E85.  If it's sold without subsidies I'd have no qualms about that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

55 miles per gallon average is pretty unrealistic. Barring major technological breakthroughs, manufacturers would have to dump a lot of trucks and SUVs to meet that. Hybrids and electric cars may be the only options. More expensive vehicles.
View Quote
introducing electrics and hybrids was the point of this. like you said
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#19]
It makes the LibFucks sqeem and the CA AG upset, I'm all for it.

Fuck you, Beccera.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#20]

50 mpg highway... 30 years ago...
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CRX_HF.jpg
View Quote
Wouldn't come close to meeting emissions today, the N0x alone would sink it. Running an engine lean [which is how they got the mileage back then along with 1000 lbs less weight] increases N0x and is a big no no. Forcing the lowering of emissions actually decreased fuel economy because we have to increase the amount of fuel used to decrease N0x output.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#22]
yeah... I'm just sayin'

prolly a 2000 lb car without the cocoon of airbags, every power luxury known to man and all that other shit... I know..
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, you don't see the big picture.

The goal of enviro nazis is regulate cars off the roads and "force" people into mass transit. Since it's an unpopular goal and un obtainable thru legislation they get it thru regulation via the EPA and the NTSA
View Quote
Do you really believe that?  Is there a tin foil conspiracy where politicians in Washington are driving mass transit as a replacement for personal automobiles?  I'm not even going to use logic to refute this, because its bullshit.  You must not understand the scale of the US as it relates to other countries.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The fed govt has no constitutional authority to dictate efficiency standards to business
View Quote
Sure.  Where do you draw the line between regulation and law?  When responding, please keep big picture in mind.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A few years back my wife’s 3 week old Hyundai got a flat tire. I drove across town to put her spare on.

There was no spare tire in the trunk. Do you know why? Because they needed to shave as much weight as possible to achieve their advertised mpg rating. So, they ditched the spare tire.

Such innovation, much wow.
View Quote
Not going to lie, that is fucked.  If it was truly a few years back, then I almost dont believe this anecdote.  Who confirmed the reason, or what references do you have to support?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In two pages I didn't see safety mentioned.

Smaller, lighter cars are less safe than heavier, bigger cars (and trucks.) CAFE standards kill people, the thruth the leftists don't want you to know.
View Quote
I left safety out of it.  As I've read, the US safety standards are one of the driving forces between the European and US gas mileage.  I saw a interesting video that put a relatively new Mexican sourced Nissan against a relatively new US Nissan that had catastrophic differences in safety.  The US mandate forces vehicles to be safer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

None of the government's business.  None of your business.  The big picture is the scientists, engineers, etc. are jumping through hoops to meet an unrealistic government edict, rather than actually doing things the market would dictate.
View Quote
Oh?  Bold statement.  Truly.  To be honest, I don't think you really know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is one hundred percent fact.  Were it not for government mandates and subsidies, wind, solar, etc. would not be economically feasible.

They are, in fact, "tinker-toy bullshit".  Mathematically provable, if one simply looks at energy cost invested, including transportation and the energy to make the concrete, verses the energy harvested over the operating life of the system.  In the case of wind, by the time a wind generator gets to the break-even point in terms of energy, it is worn out.  You can get a partial return over the next 10 - 15 year lifespan, if yoyu rebuild it and re-use the existing mounting and blades, but you are still looking at being net negative for 10 - 15 years.
View Quote
I should have read through all responses I've been quoted on, because if I would have seen this one, it could change the narrative.  I would love, love, to see some references on what you are committing to.  Trust me, I'm super objective, so I can eat crow if needed.  Are you going to characterize wind power as the driving point in this discussion? Guess what?  We are talking about fuel economy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And how about you not sick the government on us to prevent us from "you do you" by force and fear?
View Quote
Lol.  You missed it.  I'll reiterate for you.  You do you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Regulation should protect consumers in the marketplace. The marketplace should determine, in as many cases as possible what products are offered.
View Quote
Thank you for having a viewpoint I can understand and appreciate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All I see are the costs of vehicles increasing yearly to keep up with ever restricted government mandates. Driving consumers ever deeper into debt. Go buy a hybrid if you like. I’ll choose not to.
View Quote
It sounds like that you believe required fuel efficiency is driving costs up.  I'm well versed in energy, but less versed in economics.  Cost and value.  If vehicles are too expensive, people wont buy them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How exactly is relying on oil, which is the most cost effective fuel we have, is a bad thing? Using numbers, if possible.
View Quote
I would argue that oil is not the most cost effective fuel we have, but this thread has blurred the lines between overall energy and transportation energy.  To that, the cost effectiveness is going to be more positive with more fuel efficient vehicles, that run on oil based energy sources.

If we want to discuss oil versus sustainable sources, that's  a different topic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What is the NPV of  installing solar panels on your car?
View Quote
I'm catching up with the quotes that were made of me overnight and through the day, so bear with me.  This is similar to an earlier comment about energy versus transportation energy.  There is a clear delineation between the two.  From a viewpoint of electric versus non electrics vehicles it focuses on mpge.   For electric cars, which is a theme this thread has slanted towards, electricity generation is key.  Electricity in the North West is generated differently than electricity than the North East.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Curse of the West Coast perhaps?  I spent a few minutes addressing questions that came in over time and its almost 11 oclock.  No additional responses since then
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
We are paying billions for R&D of this new tech which isn't even possible for 90% of American vehicles. That plus it makes vehicles overly complicated and introduces new problems such as DEF.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I should have read through all responses I've been quoted on, because if I would have seen this one, it could change the narrative.  I would love, love, to see some references on what you are committing to.  Trust me, I'm super objective, so I can eat crow if needed.  Are you going to characterize wind power as the driving point in this discussion? Guess what?  We are talking about fuel economy.
View Quote
I'd read about this before, around the time (it was a while ago) when Germany completed a study that concluded wind power wasn't particularly viable.  I can't find that now, but I did find this (quoted it earlier):

https://www.windpowerengineering.com/projects/windpower-profitability-and-break-even-point-calculations/

Read the comments too, there's some interesting contributions there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because I shouldn't be taxed for a tool I need to get work done.
I can't tow a skidsteer with a prius or tesla.
Nor should I be required by law to recirculation abrasive soot into the intake stream to fuck up valves and seats, Clog up an EGR cooler to potentially derate power output by 40%, rupture and burn coolant through the exhaust OR intake to either overheat pop head gaskets, hydrolock, or crack pistons, nor be required to have a Destroys Pickups Fast trashcan of doom, backed up by injecting Unicorn Piss at an extra expense.
That's why it's a win.

Fuck Cafe and it's mandates.
Fuck the EPA.
Fuck your cardigan sweater.
Fuck your hybrid or plug in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I will say if the electrification vision is going to happen, it's going to need one thing. Nothing else will come close to getting the power numbers needed, and cleanly:

I'm interested in electric, and a rider. There is still a very long way to go. I wrote about Zero bikes and some of the problems inherent in the platform here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I get concerns about diesel filtering, I really do, but you've got to understand PM2.5 is particularly nasty, no two ways about it.

Remember, your rights end where another's begin. When you're running a pollution-heavy platform, it's not about 'muh truck'. It is reasonable and socially responsible for that to be mitigated.

There's a good read about diesel and pollution here:

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2013/wp29grpe/GRPE-65-05.pdf
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It sounds like that you believe required fuel efficiency is driving costs up.  I'm well versed in energy, but less versed in economics.  Cost and value.  If vehicles are too expensive, people wont buy them.
View Quote
They still buy them. Allow me to introduce you to the 84 month auto loan.

Yes fuel efficiency standards are one reason for the increase in costs. All this lightweight materials used in production like aluminum and composite are significantly more expensive than steel. The more advanced technology required build a highly efficient engine that still produces sufficient horsepower don’t come cheap either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CRX_HF.jpg
View Quote
Funny how that works.

Absent 1,000lbs of safety and emissions gear you could pull off those MPG numbers.
And in a car that was actually somewhat entertaining to drive. The CRX HF was a dog compared to the Si model but still kinda fun.

Govt is trying to force manufacturers to defy the laws of physics to deliver products that hit all the mandates.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sure.  Where do you draw the line between regulation and law?  When responding, please keep big picture in mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fed govt has no constitutional authority to dictate efficiency standards to business
You start by identifying where in the Constitution it says the fed govt is authorized to dictate efficiency standards to business.  That's the big picture that matters.  Hint:  the answer is the same for federal firearm regulation/law.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They still buy them. Allow me to introduce you to the 84 month auto loan.

Yes fuel efficiency standards are one reason for the increase in costs. All this lightweight materials used in production like aluminum and composite are significantly more expensive than steel. The more advanced technology required build a highly efficient engine that still produces sufficient horsepower don’t come cheap either.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#44]
If it weren't for fleet mileage numbers, I dont think you would see the big 3 hardly be in the small car game. Their best products are pickups and sedans/ sports cars. I would venture to say that they would almost let foreign manufacturers have that market share.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you really believe that?  Is there a tin foil conspiracy where politicians in Washington are driving mass transit as a replacement for personal automobiles?  I'm not even going to use logic to refute this, because its bullshit.  You must not understand the scale of the US as it relates to other countries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, you don't see the big picture.

The goal of enviro nazis is regulate cars off the roads and "force" people into mass transit. Since it's an unpopular goal and un obtainable thru legislation they get it thru regulation via the EPA and the NTSA
I'm not going to put words in this guys mouth but I firmly believe some of it.  
An asshole rich politician who got their money using insider trading, that you or I can't use, will always have the money to buy expensive personal transportation.  
It's everyone else they don't want driving.  Just like they will never stand in an "Ofuckface care" line waiting to see a Dr.

As far as cuntcommiecocksuker democunt politicians are concerned, only the parts of the country that vote for them count.  
This big wide open area in between those bastions of Marxist faggotry doesn't exist to them.
We can just fuck off and die as far as they care.

They think we ride horses to work and shoot Indians for fun while some poor Mexican mows our grass and a Chinese cooly does our White privileged laundry.

The reality is that I have an Indian friend, don't even own a horse, am related to some Mexican Americans that fucking hate illegals, and I got nothing for Chinamen's.  
But we need transportation and that means Cars and Trucks.

Can I hear 87 fuck Obamas from the crowd?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Bring back the Viper!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you get a Tahoe to 55mpg?
A F150?
An Odyssey?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The invisible hand will be more free to act in the market.  The market will optimize to where it should have been all along. Automakers are no longer obligated to design and build cars that are not profitable in order to sell vehicles that are profitable.
View Quote
I call BS to a point. There is no way a truck now cost over 50,000 that 20 years ago was 20,000. People are financing vehicles like homes. When the housing market fent dildos in part to reckless lending the auto market was doing the same. One was partly corrected, but on its way back to dildos.

I know free market dictates, and the invisible hand of demand will dictate. I loathe plenty of regulations, but how does this one cut our throats?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nuclear energy is "sustainable".

Every other non-hydrocarbon energy source is still tinker-toy bullshit, with a few geographically limited exceptions.
View Quote
Never mind that large chucks of Canada is on clean hydroelectric power and has been since the late 40s.

Coal is definitely the way to go. Lmao
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
You just made my pecker move.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top