Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am just starting to up my cannibalism game.  I must admit I was a little squeamish at first.  But I think I'm getting the hang of it now.  Lets face it, the people will be easy pickins.
View Quote

Do you, by chance, have an assault wheelbarrow and a debarked chihuahua dog?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote

No kidding, don't listen to em.  Just get your food from the grocery stores from the shelves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I post a thread awhile back asking for ideas on food stores diversification. The only thing people suggested was buy beans and rice. I have plenty of beans and rice. I want other things also.
View Quote

Diversify?

In my mind that means

-Have foods that store well and require no energy to preserve or to prepare. Think peanut butter and canned fishes. Canned soups and stews also fall loosely into this category.
-Have some foods that store well and require no energy to preserve but require energy to prepare. That's beans and rice
-Have some foods that store well and require energy to preserve and to prepare. Meat, frozen veggies, and more meat. Then more meat.
-Have the ability to grow some food. This could be a small livestock operation, even chicken or rabbits or fish or froglegs - or it could be veggies, corn, peas and beans and peppers.
-Have greens that can be foraged. Alfalfa, peas, kale, turnip or mustard greens.....you can grow small patches of some of those year round, almost, and walk out and pick as needed, or plow up and start over every so often.
-Dry crops, such as a standing corn patch in winter or a standing patch of wheat in the summer, would allow easy access to grain you otherwise didn't even have to store (but don't leave standing crops near your house - they attract mice).
-When in doubt, add more peanut butter and beans.

The more multi-pronged your approach is, the better your odds of surviving the loss of one prong.

ETA: And having a supply of water and the means to purify it is way more important than any food. If you can't secure water you can't make it more than a few days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Crockpotting that is pretty easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty irrelevant if your wife can’t cook.

It is, and my mom still couldn't get it right. Every time she made peas they were mush. And turkey... I didn't know turkey could be moist until I married Mrs BGB.

I loved my mom, but a cook she wasn't.

Miss ya mom.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Beans and rice is good eats.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]

How long can it be stored?

Part of our planning is to buy extra of the normal items we use and rotate them out before they expire.

We also have long term storage products for sustained food supply issues.

It would be nice to find such flavoring ingredients that have a several year shelf life to allow us to rotate them out before they go bad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote

How do you think the school lunch program started? A bunch of malnourished volunteers in ww2. Yeah people went hungry during the depression.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rice is very empty of calories. Beans are much better. But, energy is needed to cool them.
View Quote

@yodude

There are 9 essential amino acids that your body cannot produce and must be obtained from your diet.  Of the 9, beans contain isoleucine and lysine, but lack methionine and tryptophan.  Take a wild guess which 2 amino acids you can get from rice?  Always combine a legume with a grain for a complete amino acid meal.  Beans and rice.  Beans and corn.  Peanut butter and bread.  This is why certain foods are paired.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
View Quote

@okiehunter39

Do you like East Indian food?  If yes, then you’re all set if you start to store spices.  Use O2 absorbers and store spices in Mylar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is something that takes very little time, and is of no cost. Start making a mental note of food that is around you but no one really notices. For example, apple, pecan, persimmon and walnut trees, and area's where wild onions grow. Most people pay little attention to these sources of nutrition.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If people are eating their food Preps to survive we will likely already have had an economic collapse and civil or nuclear war.  If it gets to that point you will likely be dead or have bigger problems.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if you guys like split peas, I do because the are very like British 'Mushy Peas'. They don't seem very popular here though.

They store very well, cook in 8mins in a pressure cooker on the lowest heat setting (+ another 5 after turning the heat off to cool down naturally). I use one part split peas, 2.5 parts water, bit of oil, some salt, very nice flavor, a change from beans, good nutritional profile, I could eat that every day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  I had some with creamed spinach tonight.

Yum.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Salt pork and habaneros.

Right now I'm eating pinto beans, green peppers and onions in a taco shell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.

Salt pork and habaneros.

Right now I'm eating pinto beans, green peppers and onions in a taco shell.

That’s the kind of stuff I used to eat before wife/kids
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If people are eating their food Preps to survive we will likely already have had an economic collapse and civil or nuclear war.  If it gets to that point you will likely be dead or have bigger problems.
View Quote

Bigger problems than feeding their families??
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure if you guys like split peas, I do because the are very like British 'Mushy Peas'. They don't seem very popular here though.

They store very well, cook in 8mins in a pressure cooker on the lowest heat setting (+ another 5 after turning the heat off to cool down naturally). I use one part split peas, 2.5 parts water, bit of oil, some salt, very nice flavor, a change from beans, good nutritional profile, I could eat that every day.
View Quote

@Skydivesnake

Absolutely.  I make green split pea soup.  You can make it vegan or add smoked pork hocks if you have the luxury.  Add in carrots, parsnip, etc.  Not my picture.

I also make an Indian dish Spinach Dhal with green split peas.  Not my picture:

Green or yellow split peas can be stored for years in Mylar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Regardless of what the hippies tell you the protein isn’t as bioavailable as animal protein.

Beans and rice is not a complete protein.

Plants,especially beans, don’t want to be eaten and have phytochemicals in them to inhibit or bind to essential nutritional bits.

I didn't know plants were sentient.

I didn't know cows wanted to be eaten.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Something I have been. Doing for years now is buying extra packets of garden seeds every  year.  The extras go into a plastic  ammo can.  Newest in the back.  The can is stuffed full now.

My wife is an avid gardener.   I am making sure she has what she needs to expand her kitchen garden into something  more.

I also have a rice and bean fort.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something I have been. Doing for years now is buying extra packets of garden seeds every  year.  The extras go into a plastic  ammo can.  Newest in the back.  The can is stuffed full now.

My wife is an avid gardener.   I am making sure she has what she needs to expand her kitchen garden into something  more.
View Quote

@Aikibiker

Seed preservation is an interesting topic.  I am not an expert but have learned a lot over the years.  You can easily keep radish seeds for 5 to 6 years.  Parsnip seeds are good for only one season.  Then there are the heirloom tomato seeds that were 14 years old.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the best way to keep milk? Condensed, powdered, frozen?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think the average American knows how to properly cook dried beans.
View Quote

Willing to learn - she bought a couple of bags of black beans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?
View Quote

Once you buy the rice and beans, start stockpiling the fuel to cook it with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  

Over 100,000 people in the USA died of pellagra, and about 3 million more were affected by it.  And that's just one dietary disease, there are/were others.  So IDK how many people actually starved to death (maybe none), but a whole heapload died because of the poor nutrition.

Even getting into WWII, over 10% of all draftees were rejected due to conditions related to malnutrition.  The sheer number of men who were unfit to fight because of malnutrition is what led the federal government to begin programs to boost nutrition, leading to the addition of vitamins and minerals to many staple foods.  This is when you started seeing the "Fortified with (x) essential vitamins and minerals!" on products.

The interesting thing about the government programs to push vitamins and minerals into food is that it essentially stopped malnutrition-related deaths cold, they dropped from tens of thousands per year to nearly zero in a very short time.  Moral of the story:  In addition to storing food, try to store a VARIETY of food that will provide a rounded diet, and think about storing vitamins as well.

Quoted:

Mexicans make their beans with some lard, some salt, and maybe a little garlic, and let me tell you... they are freaking delicious.  I ate mexican rice and beans at least once a day for two years straight, and never got tired of them.  I could eat them every day for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes.  Are you really asking this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Are you really asking this?

I've been reading up on this since there have been so many "buy food now or you'll starve" threads lately. Apparently nobody actually starved during the great depression. Not of any note and on any widespread scale anyway. One source notes that some researchers claim many people even became healthier.  

Now I'm not saying don't buy food/supplies/whatever, but apparently widespread starvation is an oft repeated urban legend.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've been reading up on this since there have been so many "buy food now or you'll starve" threads lately. Apparently nobody actually starved during the great depression. Not of any note and on any widespread scale anyway. One source notes that some researchers claim many people even became healthier.  
View Quote

Look one post up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#26]
pashah... rice and beans are so last century man, ravioli and spaghettis Os fort is where its at
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I would rather have a pasta fort over a rice fort any day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Aikibiker

Seed preservation is an interesting topic.  I am not an expert but have learned a lot over the years.  You can easily keep radish seeds for 5 to 6 years.  Parsnip seeds are good for only one season.  Then there are the heirloom tomato seeds that were 14 years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Aikibiker

My wife does pretty well with the old seeds I pull out when adding new ones.  Not sure of the yields, I have a brown thumb and she prefers I stay out of the garden unless there is heavy stuff to move.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#29]
It’s worth having some staples. But people will die with staples. Because it’s so bland you just won’t eat. Hopefully it’s just to fill in between a few decent meals in hard times.

Get some spices too
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
View Quote

Dad lived in the depression. He was in the country aka farmer. He told me he never missed a meal. Just postponed a few.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

During the Great Depression food was unafordable for many. The term "soup kitchens" came into being during that time. Families living in the dust bowl areas didn't have much, if anything, to eat because they were unable to grow crops.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marry a Hispanic woman… that’s what I did
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't read the thread but: fats and oils are more important IMHO.

I kept posting about how cooking oil was still under $5 a gallon and butter freezes well...that was just a year ago

Buy your cheap rice and beans, but buy more oils and fats. Most people who buy dried foods for longer term storage never have enough fats.

Shortening and certain brands of lard will keep on the shelf for many years. Butter keeps for 5+ years frozen without issue. Regular olive oil keeps for years if you don't open it.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Marry a Hispanic woman  that's what I did
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don't taste all that great.

Marry a Hispanic woman  that's what I did

QFT

Also, dehydrated onions and bell peppers, plus a bunch of spices will work too
I don't have any recipes offhand, but any seasoning packet/box meal thing you can think of is essentially just that, plus msg
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love 'em. All the peas. Snap, frozen, fresh, dried/split pea and ham soup. I can eat peas cold, right out of a can.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

View Quote

So *if* you’re predicting another Great Depression, as in a decade long event of utter financial ruin….what are your half dozen buckets of beans and rice going to do?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So *if* you're predicting another Great Depression, as in a decade long event of utter financial ruin .what are your half dozen buckets of beans and rice going to do?
View Quote

6 x  5 gallon buckets.
On avg will hold depending on contents 35 to 45lbs of stuff per bucket.
Whats the suggested serving for rice ? 1 cup/8 oz?

2 rice
2 bean/lentil
1 pasta
1 grain

Supplemented by what ever fresh or can goods you can get.

That's a decent buffer for family of 3.

Again if inflation is through the roof it will allow you to put your $$$  effort and safety into other things to allow you to survive/prosper aka not be in such a shit sandwich as the rest of the peasants.

Now if you're an arfcom quad billionaire  you won't have this problem.
You'll be spending your money o n fortifying your home like they do in Brazil and other South American places to keep the unwashed masses from trying to take from you.

Again.
I'd rather consume my bought cheap stacked deep stuff than dropping  26$ for 2 chicken thighs and a half spoiled cabbage from China mart.

I find it amusing, always have on. A gun forum how many boohoo subjects such as..

Preps
Gear

Prep threads bring out the " your crazy preppers " " itll never happen  here " posters...
And
Gear threads bring out the
" your larping " tards.

I see those types as pussy whipped fools. Until momma gets hungry or starts to lose the comfort bubble when high prices hit.
And when she sees that safe and says " aren't you gonna do something  "
You have now turned into a threat for everyone around you.

Ironic for many that are pro 2a...conservative...freedom ,,don't tread on me, molon labia types if you ask me.

Cheap insurance/hedge against a possibility is not stupid by any means. Ignoring things and down playing talking it are.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

1929-1934
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So *if* you’re predicting another Great Depression, as in a decade long event of utter financial ruin….what are your half dozen buckets of beans and rice going to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

You need fucking F15s and Tanks or you may as well give up, now. There is no use in having anything incase of hard times or emergencies. You don't need a firearm. That is all fantasy masturbatory shit.

The government will keep and protect you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It balances out the vitamins and minerals otherwise missing from beans and rice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don’t forget the canned tomatoes

Meh. They're just glorified seasonings. Not very calorie-dense.

Of course, on week 132 of Build back Better Baked Beans, some seasoning might be nice.

It balances out the vitamins and minerals otherwise missing from beans and rice

They have lycopene and vitamin C.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If only there was some completely free, readily-available source of information for stuff like that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think the average American knows how to properly cook dried beans.

If only there was some completely free, readily-available source of information for stuff like that...

Like the directions on the bag?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#42]
question about rice/bean storage --if i wanted LONG term storage...

if i buy the 20lb bag of rice--do i leave it in the bag it came in?   Or move to Vac seal bags and store like that?

just dosnet seem like the bag they come in is very airtight
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL.

You need fucking F15s and Tanks or you may as well give up, now. There is no use in having anything incase of hard times or emergencies. You don't need a firearm. That is all fantasy masturbatory shit.

The government will keep and protect you.
View Quote

Where did I state that? I’m in the middle of nowhere on a dozen acres or so, produce much of our own food, and just questioning the average suburban dude here hollering about his “preps” in a decade long event?

This is at least the 5th or 6th time the majority here has reeeeeeeee’d about the balloon going up and we’re all still here. All I’m saying is you have to produce food if you want a long term solution, not a closet full of buckets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My wife does pretty well with the old seeds I pull out when adding new ones.  Not sure of the yields, I have a brown thumb and she prefers I stay out of the garden unless there is heavy stuff to move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Aikibiker

You’re doing it right:  Buy fresh seeds every year and keep rotating them.  It’s a very inexpensive way of always having viable seeds on hand!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#45]
You need hot sauce for your RB and R. Get a couple of cases and trade with it. Here in south La it
would be worth more than gold.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

if i buy the 20lb bag of rice--do i leave it in the bag it came in?   Or move to Vac seal bags and store like that?

View Quote

@Cleatus

Those bags usually have small holes in them to allow moisture to escape.  You need to seal the bag in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.  No oxygen = no oxidation of fats and it will last 20+ years.  Mylar protects it from insects and oxygen.  You can put the Mylar into 5 gallon buckets to protect from mice.  Store in a cool dry place in your house.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Mylar-Bags-Gallon-Absorbers/dp/B00EUDQKU2
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You would think, but this is a misconception.  

Some people(few) can readily eat the same thing day in and day our.

More common is people get very calorie deficient when the available food pales on the palate. They decline in health and then illness starts setting in.

It is well documented. Variety,  even on occasion, makes a big difference. I forgot to mention sugar and fat in my previous post. Hard working, or stressed, or cold people will start to crave sugar and fat like nobody's business. Honey, turbinado sugar, and other long term stable sweets are worth their weight in gold
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll need plenty of seasoning to go with the Beans and Rice.

Otherwise, talk about bland meals.

If your stuck with rice and beans only...the taste will not rank very on high on the "concern list."

You would think, but this is a misconception.  

Some people(few) can readily eat the same thing day in and day our.

More common is people get very calorie deficient when the available food pales on the palate. They decline in health and then illness starts setting in.

It is well documented. Variety,  even on occasion, makes a big difference. I forgot to mention sugar and fat in my previous post. Hard working, or stressed, or cold people will start to crave sugar and fat like nobody's business. Honey, turbinado sugar, and other long term stable sweets are worth their weight in gold

Great post.

The same shit meal over and over is demoralizing. Stockpile what makes you happy. Like if all I get to eat today is this_____ I hope it’s “oh dear Lord thank you Jesus good”.

The folks who hung themselves in the barn on The Road, did it because they were tired of rice and beans.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummm...the Depression? A lot of people starved to death.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seal in Mylar bags with an O2 absorber (~100cc per gallon). Bag on low humidity days when possible. It also doesn't hurt to freeze things first.

ETA: put the mylars in a bucket or other container to guard against damage and rodents.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Where did I state that? I'm in the middle of nowhere on a dozen acres or so, produce much of our own food, and just questioning the average suburban dude here hollering about his "preps" in a decade long event?

This is at least the 5th or 6th time the majority here has reeeeeeeee'd about the balloon going up and we're all still here. All I'm saying is you have to produce food if you want a long term solution, not a closet full of buckets.
View Quote

Gd:

I haz thermals....but live in a mcmansion HOA.. I shall be warlord....

Tech forum guy :

Day 278 of the big bohhooaloo ...

Let's search tge abandoned HOA promising pines.......

Wooohooooo thermals.......we are set.  
Should we bury this guy? He's kinda rank.  .
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top