BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think the average American knows how to properly cook dried beans.
View Quote

You serious, bro?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

6 x  5 gallon buckets.
On avg will hold depending on contents 35 to 45lbs of stuff per bucket.
Whats the suggested serving for rice ? 1 cup/8 oz?

2 rice
2 bean/lentil
1 pasta
1 grain

Supplemented by what ever fresh or can goods you can get.

That's a decent buffer for family of 3.

Again if inflation is through the roof it will allow you to put your $$$  effort and safety into other things to allow you to survive/prosper aka not be in such a shit sandwich as the rest of the peasants.

Now if you're an arfcom quad billionaire  you won't have this problem.
You'll be spending your money o n fortifying your home like they do in Brazil and other South American places to keep the unwashed masses from trying to take from you.

Again.
I'd rather consume my bought cheap stacked deep stuff than dropping  26$ for 2 chicken thighs and a half spoiled cabbage from China mart.

I find it amusing, always have on. A gun forum how many boohoo subjects such as..

Preps
Gear

Prep threads bring out the " your crazy preppers " " itll never happen  here " posters...
And
Gear threads bring out the
" your larping " tards.

I see those types as pussy whipped fools. Until momma gets hungry or starts to lose the comfort bubble when high prices hit.
And when she sees that safe and says " aren't you gonna do something  "
You have now turned into a threat for everyone around you.

Ironic for many that are pro 2a...conservative...freedom ,,don't tread on me, molon labia types if you ask me.

Cheap insurance/hedge against a possibility is not stupid by any means. Ignoring things and down playing talking it are.

Ymmv
View Quote

Some people will never get it.  Normalcy Bias is a very powerful coping mechanism.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
question about rice/bean storage --if i wanted LONG term storage...

if i buy the 20lb bag of rice--do i leave it in the bag it came in?   Or move to Vac seal bags and store like that?

just dosnet seem like the bag they come in is very airtight
View Quote

Keep enough handy to use it regularly. We use reserved plastic coffee containers for lots of "in use" dry goods. The rest go in mylar bags with O2 absorbers, in 5gal buckets to protect against vermin. Dated. Rotated into the "in use" containers in the upstairs pantry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would rather have a pasta fort over a rice fort any day.
View Quote

I have both.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote

I lived through on site the collapse of Cambodia, Vietnam, and Marshal Law in the Philippines. I have seen people at their worst who still had food to eat. You don’t want to go there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
View Quote

Get the sealed pouches of bacon bits. Just like grandma used to add fatback or bacon for flavoring.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
View Quote

Ham hocks or bacon chunks work wonders on rice and beans along with tomatoes, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, onions,  molasses, Worcester sauce, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe I’ll get to use my 100lbs of stored rice
View Quote

The NVA did just fine with rice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where did I state that? I’m in the middle of nowhere on a dozen acres or so, produce much of our own food, and just questioning the average suburban dude here hollering about his “preps” in a decade long event?

This is at least the 5th or 6th time the majority here has reeeeeeeee’d about the balloon going up and we’re all still here. All I’m saying is you have to produce food if you want a long term solution, not a closet full of buckets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

You need fucking F15s and Tanks or you may as well give up, now. There is no use in having anything incase of hard times or emergencies. You don't need a firearm. That is all fantasy masturbatory shit.

The government will keep and protect you.

Where did I state that? I’m in the middle of nowhere on a dozen acres or so, produce much of our own food, and just questioning the average suburban dude here hollering about his “preps” in a decade long event?

This is at least the 5th or 6th time the majority here has reeeeeeeee’d about the balloon going up and we’re all still here. All I’m saying is you have to produce food if you want a long term solution, not a closet full of buckets.

You know having a larder is mostly not about ww3.  

Have you read the thread? There are some interesting thoughts and ideas that have nothing to do with long term. Most any emergency supply is just that. Intended to bridge a gap and do until something better can be obtained.

Of course the ideal is the ideal. Most people can't have that so they do what they can. Do you have a dozen armed and trained men to guard your 12 acres worth of garden and livestock? Do you think you can hold it against a gang who wants it?

Extreme? Yes.

6/5 gal buckets of food, or better yet, a functioning larder that rotates and saves money...useless? I think not.

The best viable long term solution is a group of subsistence farms in a community of like minded, competent people who would include docs, machinists, plumbers, engineers, vets, etc. That would be exceedingly rare.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"Charlie's idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

Rice and beans is pretty cheap insurance against starvation
View Quote

I eat red beans and rice often, especially in the woods. A squirrel or part of a rabbit chopped up, browned, and tossed in the mix makes it a pretty complete meal to me. In a survival situation, any critter (birds, whatever) would suffice.

It would be a long winter, struggling to find greens, but I think I could go a long time on beans and rice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
No food = no life; therefore very important.  As others have said, you can't eat gold (or silver).  

But you can eat gold or silver.  You just don't receive any nutritional benefits from either; so beans 'n rice moar beddah for food.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I consider beans and rice very essential to my food preps. Not planning on just eating beans and rice, but they are good filler when meat is limited. Chop up a chicken breast and add it into a large serving of beans and rice and you can feed a family of 4 with it. Is it ideal? Nope. But it will keep you from starving.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm definitely deepening my stores of dry bulk goods, canned meats, and some other miscellaneous goods. I have a baby on the way, and vividly remember my great grandmothers stories of their being times when her and my great grandfather had a single potato to share between them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get the sealed pouches of bacon bits. Just like grandma used to add fatback or bacon for flavoring.
View Quote

#10 cans of taco or bacon TVP

I make my own stuff.
Smoked sea salt and ground up chili's.
It's mostly salt.

But we also keep on hand a shit ton of spices we rotate through.
A bunch.
Flavored oils etc ( not long term but on rotation).
Lots of canned meets,fish.
But also.
Lots of canned green red  enchilada sauces. Chipotles...and I normally have a 32 oz bottle of Valentina extra hot on hand.
2 packs of LA hot sauce.
Few gallons of vinegar on hand. As I grow Tabasco and Thai chili's.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I eat red beans and rice often, especially in the woods. A squirrel or part of a rabbit chopped up, browned, and tossed in the mix makes it a pretty complete meal to me. In a survival situation, any critter (birds, whatever) would suffice.

It would be a long winter, struggling to find greens, but I think I could go a long time on beans and rice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Charlie's idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

Rice and beans is pretty cheap insurance against starvation

This guy gets it.   I don't think i've seen anyone mention fish either.   a hot meal of fresh fish and rice is living comfortably, not just surviving-  in my opinion.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.   I don't think i've seen anyone mention fish either.   a hot meal of fresh fish and rice is living comfortably, not just surviving-  in my opinion.

View Quote

Hungry GD poster :  that's nice bunch of blue gill ya got there ( lowers his 4k$ only 20 rds through it carbine at you)...shame if you dropped them...

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hungry GD poster :  that's nice bunch of blue gill ya got there ( lowers his 4k$ only 20 rds through it carbine at you)...shame if you dropped them...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol yeah, well i like to fish where those hoverounds can't get to
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

lol yeah, well i like to fish where those hoverounds can't get to
View Quote

GD- quadbillioaire ( you can't hide from me...)....here fishy fishy.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote
Were people during the Great Depression more resourceful or less resourceful than the average American today? Did they have stronger moral convictions or fewer moral convictions? Stronger social bonds to their neighbors, or less social bonds? Less entitled or more entitled than people now? Was there less diversity and cultural enrichment or more?

This isn't the same country that weathered the Great Depression. Not even close.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Great post.

The same shit meal over and over is demoralizing. Stockpile what makes you happy. Like if all I get to eat today is this_____ I hope it’s “oh dear Lord thank you Jesus good”.

The folks who hung themselves in the barn on The Road, did it because they were tired of rice and beans.
View Quote

Off topic, but the folks that hung themselves in The Road did so 10 years after the event that caused all the ecological damage that you saw.

They would have been eating absolutely anything they could get a hold of.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you guys see us turning in a Venezuela or North Korea anytime soon?

Researched?  That's why I asked - when in the history of the US was a person not able to procure food for survival?
View Quote

We could be worse than either in a few weeks time any given day.  You do not understand how fragile our present system is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope to have way more meals in the future than shootouts.

People have been controlled by the availability of food since the dawn of civilizations.

A food fort costs way less than an ammo fort.

Make sure you have alternate ways to prepare what you store.

I've put a good bit of effort in to this. @ me if you want to know more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you guys see us turning in a Venezuela or North Korea anytime soon?

View Quote

Being as how we are not as racially homogeneous as either of those places, and given the fact that their are already large swaths of people reliant on the government teat, I think it will be way worse.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#24]
My mother bought sacks of flour, cornmeal, potatoes, rice, along with lard, bacon. I loved pinto beans &rice with biscuits. Fried taters! Several times a week. She cooked.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Look at it this way; why is it a bad idea to keep 3-6 months of long term shelf stable food on hand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it this way; why is it a bad idea to keep 3-6 months of long term shelf stable food on hand?

It's like everyone forgot what happened in 2005 with Katrina.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I need some good mylar bags, but only have $ in PayPal at the moment. Anyone have some or know of a online store that takes PayPal for it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
View Quote
Current price ( I looked it up is about $0.70 a round) So what $70K? I would rather have 70K of food.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, it's a concern, a big one actually.

Let's forget Biden's "Operation: Fuck America" for a minute. The odds of another Carrington Event (look it up) are estimated to be about 0.7% a year. That's not a lot, but it is significant and means there is about a 9.2% chance of it happening over the next 20 years. Another Carrington event would... well we don't know exactly. But it would likely take down power in the US for months, maybe years in some areas. That means no fuel flows, no food gets transported, and things get really, really bad in a hurry.

View Quote

How hard is it to process this? The odds are so slight no one in their right mind would wager a penny it would happen...but that's exactly what you're doing building a food "fort", because the reality is that "rotation" isn't going to be done well, if at all, and you're actually spending money on a decaying asset that's either going to go bad, never be used, or convince you the whole thing was a waste of time.

A lot of time gets spent here talking about defense in the classic terms of "fighting the last war", which the DOD has been doing almost forever. Making modern day comparisons with the social conditions that prevailed during the Great Depression is arguably worse. I think the unemployment rate hit 25% at one point...meaning 75% of the country that wanted to work still had jobs. It's not the mass starvation event you might believe. Yes, the poverty rate skyrocketed, in relation to a very wealthy industrialized country with a high standard of living, and as a direct result we stood up many of the social safety nets that GD now curses with every breath.

Living with a three day larder probably isn't smart, but for individuals coping with limited resources, spending hundreds on Mountain House freeze dried foods (or home-brewed forts) is badly misalocating funds...on the same scale with buying body armor and night vision when you're falling down on the economic choices in life that almost 100% will directly impact your life, and for the exact same reasons.

By all means learn to cook. Stock and keep a pantry. Do some research into foraging, hunting and fishing as legitimate supplements to your food stocks. Garden, raise livestock if it's feasible....but, be very careful about letting the overall black tone of GD with regards to the direction of the world drive you towards unrealistic and "romantic" decisions about you gutting it out in a post-apocalyptic world. Someday, I'll almost promise you, your heirs are going to have to dispose of your swords, and pikes, and those dozen identical Glocks, not to mention the hugely antiquated armor and electronics and dozens of full ammo cases, and they're going to wonder what in the hell was he thinking?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?
View Quote

During the Civil War my great great (?) grandparents almost starved to death.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Fats and proteins for the win

Seriously, I have zero carb preps and don't care.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How hard is it to process this? The odds are so slight no one in their right mind would wager a penny it would happen...but that's exactly what you're doing building a food "fort", because the reality is that "rotation" isn't going to be done well, if at all, and you're actually spending money on a decaying asset that's either going to go bad, never be used, or convince you the whole thing was a waste of time.

A lot of time gets spent here talking about defense in the classic terms of "fighting the last war", which the DOD has been doing almost forever. Making modern day comparisons with the social conditions that prevailed during the Great Depression is arguably worse. I think the unemployment rate hit 25% at one point...meaning 75% of the country that wanted to work still had jobs. It's not the mass starvation event you might believe. Yes, the poverty rate skyrocketed, in relation to a very wealthy industrialized country with a high standard of living, and as a direct result we stood up many of the social safety nets that GD now curses with every breath.

Living with a three day larder probably isn't smart, but for individuals coping with limited resources, spending hundreds on Mountain House freeze dried foods (or home-brewed forts) is badly misalocating funds...on the same scale with buying body armor and night vision when you're falling down on the economic choices in life that almost 100% will directly impact your life, and for the exact same reasons.

By all means learn to cook. Stock and keep a pantry. Do some research into foraging, hunting and fishing as legitimate supplements to your food stocks. Garden, raise livestock if it's feasible....but, be very careful about letting the overall black tone of GD with regards to the direction of the world drive you towards unrealistic and "romantic" decisions about you gutting it out in a post-apocalyptic world. Someday, I'll almost promise you, your heirs are going to have to dispose of your swords, and pikes, and those dozen identical Glocks, not to mention the hugely antiquated armor and electronics and dozens of full ammo cases, and they're going to wonder what in the hell was he thinking?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I need some good mylar bags, but only have $ in PayPal at the moment. Anyone have some or know of a online store that takes PayPal for it?
View Quote

If it must be PayPal you can find mylar and O2 absorbers on ebay.

Sorbent Systems if often recommended but only takes CC if I recall correctly. I have placed one order with them and it went well.

The LDS foodstore has good prices on 1gal bags and 300cc O2 absorbers but those are the only sizes they have online and can be slow to ship.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Check out Sorbent Systems for mylar bags of all shapes and sizes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like USA Emergency Supply, but not sure they take paypal.

Best bet that I know of for that is a highly rated eBay seller.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Appreciate the help gentlemen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fats and proteins for the win

Seriously, I have zero carb preps and don't care.
View Quote

Lol carbs are great when avoiding starvation is important.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking for a source of stable storable lard.  

Preferably canned, not dependent on electricity for freezing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You'll need plenty of seasoning to go with the Beans and Rice.

Otherwise, talk about bland meals.
View Quote
If I gotta be tired, I'd rather be tired of beans and rice than tired of being hungry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I gotta be tired, I'd rather be tired of beans and rice than tired of being hungry.
View Quote

Truth
Beans and rice is perhaps the best combo to stretch limited meat to feed a lot of people.  This is why there is some variation of beans and rice in almost every culture.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Understood and don't care, Don't want any forms of sugar.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like USA Emergency Supply, but not sure they take paypal.

Best bet that I know of for that is a highly rated eBay seller.
View Quote

@Eagle_19er

They do actually take PayPal, but before ordering I looked up reviews which seemed hit or miss. How have your experiences been?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?

They don't look fat N sassy to me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Also a recommendation for the 'Hawkins' brand of pressure cooker; makes cooking beans etc super fast. Get a spare o-ring. Good alternative to a slow cooker that works great also.
View Quote

What size?

4 Liters seems reasonable, that's a little over a gallon of volume.
Any reason to go 5L or larger?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Obesity epidemic: SOLVED
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Obesity epidemic: SOLVED
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you’ll die and some carb eater will take your shit.

Carbs are why we have civilization.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bean warriors ain't bringing anything to the party but smelly farts
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the right equipment, my farts can power my whole compound.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Compare and contrast, keeping in mind these children were selected by the Daily Mail as photogenic fatties. Extreme examples in either direction probably aren't a good reference, but I'd bet dollars to donuts the modern obesity epidemic fars outweighs (sorry) the Depression era malnutrition.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You win
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top