Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2018 10:37:35 AM EDT
I know there are a million things you can do to make your house harder to break into, the sky is the limit as long as you have the money to throw at it.  What about cheap, easy things that you can do?  We live “out in the country”, with no other neighbors close by…..so I’m always looking for little things to improve the security of our place….or at least make it less of a target to some random crack head/thug.  Here are a few things we’ve done over the years…..just looking to see if anyone else has any ideas.

* Planted thorny plants/shrubs in front of all front windows
* Put aftermarket locks on the large sliding doors going into the basement
* Put aftermarket locks, and some of those magnetic piezo alarm buzzers on all of the sliding storm windows around the house that are at ground level
* I ran extra long heavy duty screws into all of the dead bolt catch plates
* Motion detecting security/flood lights on the front of the house
* 6 camera system around the outside of the house…..what other easy things am I forgetting here?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a dog.
Replace windows, sliding doors, all glass with the stuff you can't break even with a hammer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a dog.
View Quote
Yep....got two, but they stay in a multi-acre fenced in area in the back....along with a couple donkeys. The donkeys make more noise than the dogs do when someone comes down the driveway
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a dog.
Replace windows, sliding doors, all glass with the stuff you can't break even with a hammer.
View Quote
Doesn't sound easy...or cheap.

Already have a few dogs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
hesco barriers
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!! I will order a few of those kits.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Put the fence totally around the house if codes allow it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Already have a few dogs.
View Quote
My parents had it done because of hurricane's.
Works great.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't leave tools or items outside that can be improvised as tools that can defeat your security measures.  That is, don't leave a 4' iron pipe or ax by the backdoor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Most people put longer screws in their door lock strike plates but almost nobody replaces the tiny little screws in the hinges.

Depending on your hinges, you might need to run a countersink in each hinge to open up the hole for the head of larger screws. Get the Spax brand screws at Depot, they have a much higher sheer strength!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most people put longer screws in their door lock strike plates but almost nobody replaces the tiny little screws in the hinges.

Depending on your hinges, you might need to run a countersink in each hinge to open up the hole for the head of larger screws. Get the Spax brand screws at Depot, they have a much higher sheer strength!
View Quote
Great point!! I will get some better screws for those hinges!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you lock your bedroom door at night?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you lock your bedroom door at night?
View Quote
Nope....
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Hot iron on your doorknob OP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, someone told me this once (and I've shared it here many times):
You will NEVER stop a determined criminal.
You may slow him down (with better locks, hardened windows, etc), or you may embarrass  him (with alarms and bright lights). You may even scare him (with dogs, racking a shotgun, really ugly wife) but you will never stop him IF he thinks the payoff is enough.
My wife insisted on having better security on my doors. The first thing I did was to put in security doors. These things are noisy enough just opening and closing them; tearing them off the hinges will certainly wake me and give me time to get to my weapons, and my wife or son to the phone.

Another tip: Any cell phone can be used to call 911, if the technology is supported*. Keep your old cell phones charged, and have every "Instant Dial" button set to 911. Keep them in strategic locations in case of emergency.

*Old analog phones for example are not supported. There are some "newer" technologies that aren't supported any more.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Watch Death Wish 3, or whichever one is he moves in to a gang area.

Take notes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Reinforce the door frames and put that 3m stuff on your windows that makes them hard to break out
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#19]
My house is Spanish Stucco style. I put this on my front door and iron bars over my lower level windows

If someone really wants in they will get it, but it will take longer to do

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Dags.   Big dags.

Bushes with thorns
Locks on gates.  Lock doors.

All relativity cheap.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, someone told me this once (and I've shared it here many times):
You will NEVER stop a determined criminal.
You may slow him down (with better locks, hardened windows, etc), or you may embarrass  him (with alarms and bright lights). You may even scare him (with dogs, racking a shotgun, really ugly wife) but you will never stop him IF he thinks the payoff is enough.
My wife insisted on having better security on my doors. The first thing I did was to put in security doors. These things are noisy enough just opening and closing them; tearing them off the hinges will certainly wake me and give me time to get to my weapons, and my wife or son to the phone.

Another tip: Any cell phone can be used to call 911, if the technology is supported*. Keep your old cell phones charged, and have every "Instant Dial" button set to 911. Keep them in strategic locations in case of emergency.

*Old analog phones for example are not supported. There are some "newer" technologies that aren't supported any more.
View Quote
Great top about the cell phones. I have several old ones floating around. Great idea!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Security strike plates and the 3M Security window film come to mind as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get a dog.
View Quote
Like bricks
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Reinforce the door frames and put that 3m stuff on your windows that makes them hard to break out
View Quote
^^^^

Steel reinforcement or steel frames for your doors.

Laminate windows.

The most important doors to reinforce are:

Exterior garage man door.  These are one of the most common breach points.

Sliding glass or rear double doors-same thing.

Doggy doors.  Doggy doors are a security nightmare.

Your front door is the least likely to be breached unless you are in the illegal narcotics business.

They will pound and ring the doorbell to check if anyone is home, while targeting a less observable entrance point in the rear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a dog.
View Quote
Hurricane glass, stuff is basically baseball bat proof. or use that 3m stuff that is essentially break proof(video is a 200 lb dude with a baseball bat NAILING the window and it only spiderwebs for like 15-20 strikes the window detaches from the frame and the guy gets through).
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]
A moat with sharks with lasers on their heads.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#27]
And, keep at least one dag inside at night when home.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Solar power motion lights around the house. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon. I've been meaning to get some myself
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
hesco barriers
View Quote
Came to post the same
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Caltrops
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#31]
in addition to door security kits you are a perfect candidate for an alarm system.
I suggest Simplisafe.
Once you accept that nothing can keep a determined person fom getting into your house an alarm will minimize the time they have to spend inside once they do make it in.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Strengthening the doors and windows is good, but if you have vinyl siding,  someone could come along with one of these and simply cut a hole in the side of your house for entry.

That is where a nice big dog to greet them would work, or motion detectors.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Learn to pick locks and break glass with a broken piece of ceramic insulator from a spark plug carried in your pocket.
That will help you better assess you security level.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Strengthening the doors and windows is good, but if you have vinyl siding,  someone could come along with one of these and simply cut a hole in the side of your house for entry.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31g0hN5-EOL.jpg

That is where a nice big dog to greet them would work, or motion detectors.
View Quote
Has this ever actually happened?

I could maybe see it in the sticks, but they'd just as soon kick the door down I think.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
in addition to door security kits you are a perfect candidate for an alarm system.
I suggest Simplisafe.
Once you accept that nothing can keep a determined person fom getting into your house an alarm will minimize the time they have to spend inside once they do make it in.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Great top about the cell phones. I have several old ones floating around. Great idea!
View Quote
Test them in every area you intend to leave them; they may or may not get a good signal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Hesco barriers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Tamper-proof your main garage door opener release catch, for free;

https://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/physical-security/safety-announcement-protecting-against-garage-door-break-ins/

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Already have a few dogs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a dog.

Already have a few dogs.
3M makes a film that is easy ... but, not cheap. I wrapped all my floor levels windows with it. Bonus tinting included.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Move out of the ghetto and/or Projects
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Has this ever actually happened?

I could maybe see it in the sticks, but they'd just as soon kick the door down I think.
View Quote
There was a fairly recent gun store robbery with many firearms taken, where this is how they got in.    There were bars on the doors and windows, so they just took a sawzall to the metal siding and cut a hole in it.  then carried all the guns out through that hole to their waiting car.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tamper-proof your main garage door opener release catch, for free;

https://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/physical-security/safety-announcement-protecting-against-garage-door-break-ins/

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/32/aa/b132aac0c3733f3edfbe72bca99c7d1f.jpg
View Quote
I knew to remove the cord so it can’t be grabbed by breaking the windows on the garage, but have never seen that trick before.  I’ll be fixing that problem today.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Along with the longer screws in your deadbolt catch plate, replace AT LEAST one screw in each hinge with a long screw.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also, to keep people from simply knocking out the hinge pins and taking the whole door off get an extremely long screw for each of the hinges, so two screws- one for the top hinge, one for the bottom.  Replace one of the existing screws but don't screw it all the way down. Cut it off so it protrudes about an inch, inch 1/2.
That's on the frame side of the hinge.
On the door side remove the corresponding screw entirely. You might need to drill the hole a little deeper.

If you've aligned everything right, when you close the door that pin will engage the hole on the door thereby making the door impossible to remove by just taking out the hinge pins.

Hopefully the hinges open inward so they are unreachable from the outside anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't leave tools or items outside that can be improvised as tools that can defeat your security measures.  That is, don't leave a 4' iron pipe or ax by the backdoor.
View Quote
This! I've seen many toy rooms (guns, tools, cars, etc) and it seems almost every gun safe or lock is within several feet of an angle grinder or crowbar. I also occasionally see ladders on properties with second story entrances. It's far from a guarantee someone will use the tools to break it but it's really making their job easier if they just need a pair of eyes and opportunity to do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Also, to keep people from simply knocking out the hinge pins and taking the whole door off get an extremely long screw for each of the hinges, so two screws- one for the top hinge, one for the bottom.  Replace one of the existing screws but don't screw it all the way down. Cut it off so it protrudes about an inch, inch 1/2.
On the door side remove the corresponding screw entirely. You might need to drill the hole a little deeper.

If you've aligned everything right, when you close the door that pin will engage the hole on the door thereby making the door impossible to remove by just taking out the hinge pins.

Hopefully the hinges open inward so they are unreachable from the outside anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$20 will get you a set of hinges with non-removable pins.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Watch Death Wish 3, or whichever one is he moves in to a gang area.

Take notes.
View Quote
"they killed the giggler!"
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never in my life opened an outside entry door towards the outside anyways.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a sliding glass door on the back of my house.  I have a security system and cameras but what can be done to secure that large of an opening?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Motion sensor controlled paintball guns with pepper balls.  Full auto too. Plenty of videos online on how to build them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top