User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move out of the ghetto and/or Projects
View Quote
Society is changing. The ghetto is coming to you.

edit - a guy near me was burglarized last year. Thief caught a few days later from video evidence. Thief drove 15 miles to do the deed from info he got from his son who went to school with the victim's son.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Also, to keep people from simply knocking out the hinge pins and taking the whole door off get an extremely long screw for each of the hinges, so two screws- one for the top hinge, one for the bottom.  Replace one of the existing screws but don't screw it all the way down. Cut it off so it protrudes about an inch, inch 1/2.
That's on the frame side of the hinge.
On the door side remove the corresponding screw entirely. You might need to drill the hole a little deeper.

If you've aligned everything right, when you close the door that pin will engage the hole on the door thereby making the door impossible to remove by just taking out the hinge pins.

Hopefully the hinges open inward so they are unreachable from the outside anyway.
View Quote
They make non removable hinge pin hinges. You can also make your own with an alan screw and the correct size drill bit and tap
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Subscribing to thread because I need ideas as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a long driveway, one of those electric eye  things that trip when someone drives up the driveway and breaks the beam.

Privacy fencing is a two way street. Gives you privacy, but hides bad guys from view if they can get inside your perimeter
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Door security bar- wedges under doorknob, braces on floor. Will slow down a door kicker a LOT.

Fake cameras.
I have 8 real cameras with four fakes in easy to reach places. Bad guy trashes fake cam and is easily IDed by real cam.
They’re not actually fake, just crappy zmodo cams fake wired into the house.

Security film on windows.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged for further ideas
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tamper-proof your main garage door opener release catch, for free;

https://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/physical-security/safety-announcement-protecting-against-garage-door-break-ins/

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/32/aa/b132aac0c3733f3edfbe72bca99c7d1f.jpg
View Quote

Thank you!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never in my life opened an outside entry door towards the outside anyways.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 will get you a set of hinges with non-removable pins.
I have never in my life opened an outside entry door towards the outside anyways.
I had to do it on my barn.  I had garage doors installed on the front bays, and went to install a standard pre-hung door in a side doorway.  The doorway was a step up from the floor, and when I swung the door in, it hit the newly-installed garage door track.  Whoops.  Had to flip the door around to open outward.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in construction. And I get a lot of phone calls to replace doors that have been kicked in due to break in. The thing that I noticed the most is that nine times out of ten. The entry into the house that the thieves chooses is always obscure. Whether it's tall Shrubbery around the doorway. Or an isolated door or window on the side of the house. It's always something like this that gives them time to get into your home
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon Product
  • KEEP YOUR HOME SAFE - Designed to withstand 800 lbs. of force, this U 10827 satin nickel finish door reinforcement lock helps to prevent doors from being kicked in, increasing your home security and keeping you and your family safe!
  • EASY INSTALLATION - The included 3" hardened screws make installation a breeze - extra security and peace of mind can be achieved in just minutes. Length is 2 to 0.19 inch. Width is 1 to 0.38 inch.
  • ADDITIONAL HOME SECURITY - Use this high security door reinforcement lock for additional home security on any swing-in door of any door thickness. It helps to ensure any door cannot be opened from the outside.

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
.....didn't read the OP did you?

I live on 6 acres......no neighbors close by.   Probably one the safest places to live in my state.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have a long driveway, one of those electric eye  things that trip when someone drives up the driveway and breaks the beam.

Privacy fencing is a two way street. Gives you privacy, but hides bad guys from view if they can get inside your perimeter
View Quote
I have thought about something like that. Do they offer wireless versions? If it's easy to spot, I would be worried that someone might try to tamper with and/or just take it to be an a-hole.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I just pissed myself a bit, and I'm not even there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know there are a million things you can do to make your house harder to break into ...
View Quote
AS long as there are ground level windows most things do not actually harden all that well.
More like create video for the police.

Identifying the dirt-bags is still often a problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He doesn't always look demonicAttachment Attached File
6 months old
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#19]
The Mind of a Thief.

I made many changes in home security after watching this.  He was arrested not far from my home.

If you have a fence, make sure that any bolt heads people can get to are round and inset.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s common in South Florida for hurricanes.  I think Miami-Dade building codes after Andrew required it.  I don’t know if it’s changed, but the houses built like that still have outward opening entry doors.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Awwww.  Puppy!    
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Strengthening the doors and windows is good, but if you have vinyl siding,  someone could come along with one of these and simply cut a hole in the side of your house for entry.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31g0hN5-EOL.jpg

That is where a nice big dog to greet them would work, or motion detectors.
View Quote
This is how they got in to my last place. Just cut 2x2 hole.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know there are a million things you can do to make your house harder to break into, the sky is the limit as long as you have the money to throw at it.  What about cheap, easy things that you can do?  We live “out in the country”, with no other neighbors close by…..so I’m always looking for little things to improve the security of our place….or at least make it less of a target to some random crack head/thug.  Here are a few things we’ve done over the years…..just looking to see if anyone else has any ideas.

* Planted thorny plants/shrubs in front of all front windows
* Put aftermarket locks on the large sliding doors going into the basement
* Put aftermarket locks, and some of those magnetic piezo alarm buzzers on all of the sliding storm windows around the house that are at ground level
* I ran extra long heavy duty screws into all of the dead bolt catch plates
* Motion detecting security/flood lights on the front of the house
* 6 camera system around the outside of the house…..what other easy things am I forgetting here?
View Quote
Tell me about your camera system.  I'm in the market for one myself and need suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep....got two, but they stay in a multi-acre fenced in area in the back....along with a couple donkeys. The donkeys make more noise than the dogs do when someone comes down the driveway
View Quote
Move them inside where they can actually do some good?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Put the fence totally around the house if codes allow it.
View Quote
This.  Fence your property, gate access to driveway, keep gate closed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put the fence totally around the house if codes allow it.
But muh Amazon Prime!  Seriously, wouldn't deliveries be a pain?  Or do the local delivery hubs have gate codes and such?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know there are a million things you can do to make your house harder to break into, the sky is the limit as long as you have the money to throw at it.  What about cheap, easy things that you can do?  We live "out in the country", with no other neighbors close by..so I'm always looking for little things to improve the security of our place.or at least make it less of a target to some random crack head/thug.  Here are a few things we've done over the years..just looking to see if anyone else has any ideas.

* Planted thorny plants/shrubs in front of all front windows
* Put aftermarket locks on the large sliding doors going into the basement
* Put aftermarket locks, and some of those magnetic piezo alarm buzzers on all of the sliding storm windows around the house that are at ground level
* I ran extra long heavy duty screws into all of the dead bolt catch plates
* Motion detecting security/flood lights on the front of the house
* 6 camera system around the outside of the house..what other easy things am I forgetting here?
View Quote

We didnt think about security either OP since we lived on the outskirts and had never had an issue.

Here is a link to my thread about out break in. Im also subscribed to this thread for ideas

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Update-Had-a-break-in-at-our-place-in-the-mountains-Thieves-identified/5-2156186/
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Replace some of your exterior door hinge screws with duplex nails.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-secure-your-home-from-thieves/
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I came to post these. Cheap and will really slow someone down that is trying to force their way in.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's common in South Florida for hurricanes.  I think Miami-Dade building codes after Andrew required it.  I don't know if it's changed, but the houses built like that still have outward opening entry doors.
View Quote
Still is.  If you don't have to deal with snow build up, change all your exterior doors to outswing.  Much harder to kick/ram.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Double 12’ electrified razor wire fences are a must.

Build a moat between the fences and stock it with AIDS infested rabid crocodiles.

Maybe a CIWS on the roof if you have money left over.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There was a fairly recent gun store robbery with many firearms taken, where this is how they got in.    There were bars on the doors and windows, so they just took a sawzall to the metal siding and cut a hole in it.  then carried all the guns out through that hole to their waiting car.
View Quote
Determined criminals aren’t above coming through the roof either.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#34]
land mines

start using meth, dont sleep or leave the house, and always be looking out the window clutching your ar
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Bougainvillea and cacti.  Works well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Cheap/Easy...

1x2 wood from floor up under door knob. Just slightly longer to jam in place. I cut my with the floor angle and a radius at the top.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Strengthening the doors and windows is good, but if you have vinyl siding,  someone could come along with one of these and simply cut a hole in the side of your house for entry.

View Quote
Actually worked a scene where they did exactly that. Hole was big enough that they actually moved appliances through it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#38]
we had that one arfcommer who build a brick house with almost no windows. that should help slow down intruders.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
3M security film on all reachable windows....
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea because white people never do B&Es
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cheap/Easy...

1x2 wood from floor up under door knob. Just slightly longer to jam in place. I cut my with the floor angle and a radius at the top.
View Quote
I'd want something that was a little more...unobtrusive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cheap/Easy...

View Quote
How do you deploy this when you leave the house?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

$20 will get you a set of hinges with non-removable pins.
View Quote
Ok.  In my defense he said cheap.
$20 or $1.50 for two screws at Aubachon's?

And as the other guy said, outside doors usually open inward (i said that).  But this works on interior doors as well.  Or the door between the garage (if you got one) and the kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#45]
ADT sign.
ADT stickers.
some visible cameras.
motion activated lights.
castle bar across basement door(s).
two door foyer entry.  if you want in, you have to break through two doors.
dog bowl on porch.
dog toys scattered about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Wouldn't the wire mesh deflect the round?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#48]
1-Keep your mouth shut about what is in your house
2-When I leave the house overnight, the rear door gets a cheap 2x4 "kicker" brace.
3-Motion lights, cameras
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
OPSEC/PERSEC.  Not bragging about, or showcasing all the neat shit you have goes a long way towards not putting a target on your property in the first place.

I know that is not in the theme of this thread. But, the reality is your home very possibly will get broken into by someone who knows you, or knows of you at least tangentially.  People like to blab and gossip.  Sneak thieves learn by word of mouth what you are into, and the toys you are likely to own prior to ever setting foot in your house.

I can personally attest to this.  When I was on the road for work, my place got broken into 3 separate times.  Once by random kids looking for dope money.  They were hitting places all over the neighborhood, rapid fire, til they got pinched.  Then twice by my neighbor, who in a lack of better judgement, I had befriended.  That one was on me I suppose, as I knew he was a dodgy fucker, but figured being hangout buddies with him rather than a stranger put me in a better position.  Nope, not the case.

Now, the only people outside my family who set foot in my house, or I discuss personal things with can be counted on about one and a half hands.

Also, get a quality gun safe and mount it properly.  And not one of those $600 specials.  I lost a cherished M1 Garand and some lesser toys in the above adventures.  While a safe also has nothing to do with keeping people out of your hose, it can minimize what they walk away with once they do get in.  Getting into a house isn't hard by any standard, getting into a safe is a whole other ballgame.

Of the already mentioned suggestions, I really like the 3M window coating idea.  I'll be ordering new windows and a back door soon and regardless of cost this is on the list for me.

Sliding glass doors seem like a slam dunk for breaking into a house.  3M window treatment and track locks should go a long way in slowing thieves down.  I hope.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
If a crew is tearing into your house with power tools, a dog isn't going to stop them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top