Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
PART OF THE PROBLEM IS NO RESPECT FOR SUPPLY & DEMAND.

gasoline at historic lows, demand at historic lows yet hotel, cruise & airline prices have actually gone up

basic economics now is the time to be calling radio stations up north & giving them free 3 day vacations for contest free publicity, & winners will bring money

jump start your own economy don't wait for the gov.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have several restaurant suppliers, around here, that almost immediately started selling at retail. If they didn't have a facebook page, they made one and started posting about the sales.

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but, as a business owner, you have to quick thinking and can't always rely on the same business model. She sells food, just change to a different buying market.
View Quote
Bingo. Makes me think she must have inherited.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches.

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

We have to get back to work..
View Quote

nobody in DC closed anything in FL.
The govenor of florida closed stuff and the cruise ships cancelled themselves.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glad I moved from Broward to N FL right before this mess started.  Like 5 days before, new location, new job.  My friends in south FL are so screwed & mad.  And Miami, Broward & Palm beach make up 80% of the FL cases & deaths.
View Quote

Welcome to the real Florida.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never knew there was a Florida in Deutschland.
View Quote

Floridberg
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're probably right on the butter, but missing the point. I'm not in her business, I fly airplanes.

This a multi generational family business that is about to collapse after 6 weeks of 10-15% normal sales. I'm sure this isn't the only business in this position.
View Quote
Therein lies the rub. She likely inherited an operating business and hasn't the acumen to adapt to adversity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches
View Quote

Sounds like what every native Floridian wants.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
China is Asshole.  So is Iran and North Korea.  Russia is too.  And so are Islamic terrorists.  Blame them for this virus.
View Quote
So is D.C.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you think ... maybe ... some people obscure their actual locations as a type of evasive maneuver? What could they be trying to hide?  
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.
View Quote

Restaurants are still selling food, last I checked, though some at a reduced rate and if your target market is fancy, sit down then you will probably have a severe loss of demand.  Of course, your neighbor had the good sense to get insurance, right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.
View Quote

I can damn well blame OUR government for overreacting to the threat.  China didn't shut our economy off. Neither did Italy, Sweden, or any other country.  

OUR leaders had choices to make, Trump tried to steer us down the middle road (which probably would have led to the least shitty choices out of a whole host of shitty choices)  and the rest of the country went batshit crazy.  And the politicians went into full- on grifter mode.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I found out today that I am work-from-home until June.

Ohio is supposed to unlock on 5/1.

I work in an absolutely critical industry and they are working closely with state and federal advisors and administrators and I have a feeling they got a "why don't you all stay home a little longer" talk.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe all the yankees will go back from whence they came.
View Quote

Sorry, they're all retirees.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If the transplants go back north....might be worth it
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Both gave the money back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Harvard and Ruths Chris Steakhouse said "fuck yo small bidness, gibs ME dat gummint cheese!"

And it was too late to then have small business take it.

And plenty of big businesses took it and didn’t give it back.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Harvard and Ruths Chris Steakhouse said "fuck yo small bidness, gibs ME dat gummint cheese!"
Because they got caught.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This a multi generational family business that is about to collapse after 6 weeks of 10-15% normal sales. I'm sure this isn't the only business in this position.
View Quote

In times of plenty, some businesses leverage up with debt and laugh at the conservative ones.

In the hard times, the ones with capital usually survive.

Sounds like she is undercapitized. Should have saved a little more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We've got a strong economic foundation built.
If we were to open after this weekend, we would bounce back rather quickly.

However, this foundation is eroding quick. Another 3 weeks and it will be a lot of work to get it back. I see it getting exponentially worse every three days here.
View Quote

It's not going to bounce back like people think. That ship sailed. This is going to be a depression.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, it is on the Baltic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Roughly 1000 used & rental cars are being stored at FAU right now. No one is buying or doing anything right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We've got a strong economic foundation built.
If we were to open after this weekend, we would bounce back rather quickly.

However, this foundation is eroding quick. Another 3 weeks and it will be a lot of work to get it back. I see it getting exponentially worse every three days here.
View Quote
Exactly.  We need to go now, not later.  I'm sure many more will die but if we continue down this road, this country may die.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.

You make a good point...I certainly never blamed Bin laden for the patriot act
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.

Yup
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
China is Asshole.  So is Iran and North Korea.  Russia is too.  And so are Islamic terrorists.  Blame them for this virus.
View Quote

Can blame them all we want. The over reaction by our government though lands squarely on their shoulders
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Roughly 1000 used & rental cars are being stored at FAU right now. No one is buying or doing anything right now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334296/48C134C2-3512-438B-B2EE-5C9AED819560_jpe-1384568.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, well the storage lots at RSW didn't work out too great....
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's ruined everywhere, the doomers and uninformed just can't see it yet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches

I'm strangely comfortable with that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well.

Yup

Harvard applied for it. They're giving it back because of the blowback.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
No one is going on a cruise for a long long time....unless you want a guaranteed case.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not going to bounce back like people think. That ship sailed. This is going to be a depression.
View Quote

@SuperSixOne

Your assessment is exactly what I'm seeing in some small business that I service as a small business.
It is said that a true small biz has enough working capital to go.......wait for it.......... Only 27 days.

I had customers with small businesses for 10-20 years throwing in the towel half way into week 3

The landscape is changing and it will have a huge effect. We were stunned, bruised, then bloodied. If this goes on....I'm afraid of what could be next.
I think I'm about to lose a bunch of small accounts. There's no way they could go until after Memorial day weekend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our “leaders”, both elected & not, are to blame for the purposeful shutdown & ruination of the economy. None of those countries or devils mentioned above are responsible for their choices & actions...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why arent they getn bailout money and paying employees ? Something doesnt add up, the PPP  is designed for this exact reason.

Hope this shutdown saved just one all the lives...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@SuperSixOne

Your assessment is exactly what I'm seeing in some small business that I service as a small business.
It is said that a true small biz has enough working capital to go.......wait for it.......... Only 27 days.

I had customers with small businesses for 10-20 years throwing in the towel half way into week 3

The landscape is changing and it will have a huge effect. We were stunned, bruised, then bloodied. If this goes on....I'm afraid of what could be next.
I think I'm about to lose a bunch of small accounts. There's no way they could go until after Memorial day weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SuperSixOne

This.
That sillyass flu was NOT exponential, but the repercussions will be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?
View Quote

Umm. Not packaged for retail?  

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Let me preface this question by saying that I know absolutely nothing about commercial food distribution, outside of seeing Sysco trucks running around.

If a bunch of these small distribution companies go under, how do restaurants get food to serve once they are ready to reopen? I'm not part of that world, so I have no idea how many different companies are in the industry.

Does a restaurant owner have a Rolodex of different companies they can call to get food and supplies, or do they end up going to Kroger or the local butcher shop and paying retail when their supplier goes down? Are they contractually obligated to use specific distributors?

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches.

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

We have to get back to work..
View Quote

Fucking sucks, but many of those jobs won’t be back anytime soon no matter what some politicians says you can do. Some (a percentage) may never return.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

China didn't make the decision to force shut a big portion of the economy over some potential respiratory issue. Blaming China for those decisions is illogical & gives those folks that did make those decisions a scapegoat...well, an "easy" one anyways...

...bright side is that defaulting on all that debt will free up moar $ to give out to all the folks that the gov went in dry against
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It’s ruined everywhere, the doomers and uninformed just can’t see it yet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]
StAy At HoMe!

It’s amazing how out of touch some people are. It’s like they think that people are just complaining because they’re stir crazy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

DC didn’t shut down Florida.  Florida Governor shut down Florida.

We just had a local daycare announce they are broke, closing for good, and selling off their furnishings and equipment.  If DeSantis doesn’t end this bullshit shutdown then May will bring 1000s more
View Quote

Thank you!

It's up to the various governors to re-open their states, not the federal government.

Of course there are things the feds do control but the "meat and potatoes" of small businesses re-opening is controlled exclusively by the states.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Someone doesn’t know how sovereign debt and markets work.

I see this idea posted all the time and it’s just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

Laughably unworkable and almost certainly more detrimental to the US in the long run.
View Quote

What you skeered?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@SuperSixOne

View Quote

The members we have here who think we're going to bounce right back are delusional.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You have a plan for grouping lots of people together with a contagious virus on the loose that has no vaccine?

I sure as heck do not.  But, I suppose my 80 year old mother has had a decent run.

I'm in retail construction and I can easily see that the next few years are going to suck.
View Quote

If only there would have been a way to recommend to your mom (+ others that are perhaps old, mentally weak, physically high risk, gullible and/or other broad categories) to isolate herself from many of the normal interactions with other folks whilst still allowing the economy to continue on...

...if only

Also, good to hear that your mom is doing well
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.
View Quote

Sound like she needed a better manager. I would have told her back in Feb to limit inventory & only keep extra stock you can find an alternate buyer for. Of course I’d probably be ignored or fired.

There are more than a few people who would love gross quantities of canned food, frozen meats, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe all the yankees will go back from whence they came.
View Quote

Nope they all got Florida Driver's Licenses and changed their residences to FL they are now yours and you are theirs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been in food service for a lot of my adult life and most stuff is in 40# packs. I've never seen a 300lb package of butter. 40# blocks? Yeah, but most foodservice operations prefer 40# cases of 1# individually wrapped blocks of butter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.
I've been in food service for a lot of my adult life and most stuff is in 40# packs. I've never seen a 300lb package of butter. 40# blocks? Yeah, but most foodservice operations prefer 40# cases of 1# individually wrapped blocks of butter.

I used to make butter at my grandad's creamery when I was a kid and the biggest packs we ever made were 40# blocks
in boxes...mostly we made 1#rs wrapped and in a 1lb pack of 4 quarters.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Trump Russian probe 2018-2019
Trump impeachment 2019-2020
Covid pops up in US few weeks after Trump acquitted 2020.

Enecomy heading for collospe
Democrats are ruining this country, anything to destroy us. Non stop destruction, they are trying make trump look bad no other country shut their economy down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several reasons.

Perishables have expiry dates and the products that are packaged for commercial consumption cannot be easily repacked for retail in time.
Not just talking meat here, things like cheese that come in 30 pound blocks, dairy products are expensive and there is a finite number of bulk buyers.
Then there is the FDA to contend with on repacking also.

SIL is in the food recycling business and got his hours cut last week, this week he is working overtime because they are getting over run with truck loads of expired food.
So much so that they are turning trucks loaded with all sorts of product away.
2 fully loaded semi's were sent to the dump today.

If this crap doesn't get turned around in a week we are in for a very rough ride.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I just  listened to my city commission meeting last night.
One of the comms stated she was in favor of shut down for 4 more weeks at least.
Well guess what?  She is 65+ and obese and has health issues.  A other one is over 70 and is also obese.
Only one of the 5 is under 50.
Sooooo,  how do you think they will vote?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#50]
There are restaurants near me selling unopened packages of uncooked foods, especially meat.  In some cases people are paying more than grocery retail prices.

There are restaurant supply stores near me who got themselves hooked up with the state to pay sales tax and they're selling directly to consumers.  Yes, people will buy 40# of butter.  A group of women may go in and then divvy it up among themselves after they leave, but they'll buy it.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top