Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please explain what difference it makes for sugar to come from Corn Syrup vs traditional Cane?

ETA: Nevermind. Sugarcane is Glucose. Corn, Dextrose. Still, what difference does it really make?
View Quote

Dextrose is glucose. What we use as "sugar" is actually a glucose-fructose dissacharide. It is bad for teeth because the two sugars are bound by a high energy hemiacetyl-hemiketal bond (the energy of which bacteria can use extracellularly (no UDP intermediates) to make large polymers of glucose (glucans - dextrans and mutans).
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The problem is that HFCS is in EVERYTHING. It's all sweetened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup
Please explain what difference it makes for sugar to come from Corn Syrup vs traditional Cane?

ETA: Nevermind. Sugarcane is Glucose. Corn, Dextrose. Still, what difference does it really make?

If sucrose was in everything the effect would be the same.

The bigger issue is Americans have acquired a taste for sickening sweet things. In the south they literally add sugar to all the savory foods. Greens, spaghetti sauce, meats, all with sugar.

I know people that have a little coffee with their sugar, it's like syrup, same with sweet tea. Soda at every meal and in between. If you ask them, they will claim not to eat much. They don't count liquids. I know many that are never seen without one of those bucket sized soft drinks they sell at convenience stores. They are always sipping on it. A continuous sugar drip.

Do without it a fruit will be like desert.  Also, look at how many never have a vegetable. The fattest people are the pickiest eaters.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen Youtubes where the Japanese kids in Japan are under much social pressure to remain thin. But I remained thin until the car accident/stroke/heart attack/cortisone kind of took their toll.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at the Oaxaca people (Mexico)

They live in the mountains, healthy asf. They disband from their tribes and move down into the city.

Fat asses.

Jungle tribes in the Amazon? Healthy asf.

Our food is just as bad as politics. Corrupt asf for profit. Full of shit nobody asked for.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I decided to teach myself something today, based on this thread.  It's lunch time and I'd like to have a sandwich.  Intellectually I know that HFCS and other sugars are in everything, but it's pretty rare for me to read a label.  So while I know, I don't KNOW.  So I went to the grocery store with the goal of buying the ingredients to make a ham and cheese sandwich, with no sugar and no preservatives.  

First stop is the bread aisle.  I probably looked at the ingredients on 50 different loaves of bread before I found one that didn't list either HFCS or Dextrose.  It's a specialty loaf made by some little company I've never heard of.  $7.49.  

On to the ham.  The pre-cut sandwich meats had sugar listed several times in various names and so many chemical preservatives I'm pretty sure the ham in the package classifies as a mummy.  Ended up in the meat cooler, buying a half a sliced ham because it had sugar only listed once and it was, 'brown sugar'.  Cheese was easy.  Tilamook medium cheddar.  I did note that it is artificially colored.  

Mayonnaise was hard.  I love Miracle Whip, and apparently that's not actually food.  Based on the ingredient list, that's a product mixed in a lab.  "Real Mayonnaise" contains added sugar.  I had to buy another small brand, made with avocado oil and no sugar.  $8.99.  Mustard was harder than I expected.  Yellow mustard was a no-go.  My favorite, Inglehoffer Stone Ground even contains added sugar.  I walked out without any mustard.

I like some chips with my sandwich, so I went to the chip aisle expecting to find nothing.  Ruffles are potatoes, vegetable oil and salt.  How about that?  The thing that I thought would be the worst is just about the cleanest and least processed food I bought.

In the end I made a pretty good cold sandwich, and then washed it down with a Coke and ruined the whole experiment.  I did buy some tea and have sun tea brewing as we speak.  

The only way to avoid these things are to eat unprocessed meat, fresh vegetables and fruit, whole grains and dairy.  Someone should write that down.  Maybe shape it like a big triangle or something...
View Quote

The bread is a starchy foods. Starch is polymers of glucose molecules, it has a high glycemic index.

Your meal that you didn't think was junk food, was all processed for various amounts. You categorize chips as potatoes, they are processed, fried in seed oil. They have little of "potato" left.

This is a good example of how Americans think.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve lost 12lbs in 30 days by cutting out heavily processed carbs and foods, all oils except quality EVOO, and no HFCS.

Standard meals

Egg, cheese, pepper and onion burrito for breakfast. Half of a BLT with uncured bacon and home grown tomato’s and lettuce, and then 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 cup of jasmine rice, sautéed veggies and Siracha for dinner. Occasionally will eat a Halo Top ice cream if my sugar craving gets the best of me.

We eat poorly, we move too little, and we’ve forgotten where our food comes from and what should actually count as food.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In this thread we learn who knows nothing about the molecular makeup of the various form of carbohydrates. The sugar industry did a good job of getting people to parrot the word "HFCS" without telling what it actually is.

Americans are fat because they are ignorant. This is why the high carb food pyramid was so popular, people don't know what those things are and are a sucker for advertising badges.

Also why they get things that are gluten free, thinking gluten is some kind of toxin, which it kind of is if you have celiac disease.

If you want to confirm just how ignorant people are, look no further than Amazon reviews that ask if the magnesium is a GMO or not. . Or if it has gluten.
View Quote

In this thread we have ignorant people calling others ignorant based off a single factoid that isn’t even the point. Most people here realize hfcs is chemical the same as a bunch of other sugars. How can we not when condescending ass hats bring it up in every thread it’s mentioned? What makes hfcs such a pernicious, American problem, over similar sugars is that it’s super cheap (thanks corn subsidies!) and added to everything as a flavor enhancer. I saw it listed the other day in a bottle of blue cheese salad dressing (along with soybean oil the other subsidized crop that’s in everything!). It was the 4 or 5th thing listed in a SAVORY product. These companies know it hits the reward centers of our brains and ad it so we keep coming back. You’d have to make everything from scratch to avoid it. Something we should be doing but logistically for most is impossible in everything they eat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For Japan specifically, they don't eat the healthiest diets there BUT they have higher quality, cheaper food and most people don't own cars and are walking a LOT. On average Japanese people walk around 7K steps a day. They also fat shame which honestly we need to do more of here.
View Quote

This makes a HUGE difference.

Between the fact that most of the population lives in cities (the ones who live rural tend to ve the ones who do a good amount of physical labor), their public transportation being very efficient, AND the cost of owning a vehicle AND having somewhere to park it (in cities like Tokyo, you have to show proof that you have a parking spot, to get a permit to purchase a vehicle. Japanese exchange student buddy in college was from a rich family. While he was here, he had TWO cars in parking garages. Monthly cost to park EACH car, was what he was paying for his monthly rent, over here).

That said, there's a LOT of walking between train and bus stops, and wherever they're headed.

Noted the same thing in Europe. People over there, tend to walk a LOT more than the average American.

The other universal thing noted by international travelers: portion sizes in the US are HUGE.

It's especially bad with fast food.
- a SINGLE slice of a Large pizza averages between 250 - 400 kcal, depending on toppings and deep vs thin crust. Typically ~8 slices per Large pizza.

- Medium Big Mac Meal = 1,120 kcal

- Medium Whopper meal
Whopper sandwich (670 kcal)
Medium fries (370kcal)
Medium Coke (350kcal)
= 1,390 kcal.
Add ~200 kcal for Large.

So the average sedentary person eating just 2 Whopper meals a day, AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE,  is already eating around 700-800 excess kcal.

I know a single guy who's well over 300lbs (400lbs at one point), who doesn't cook. Orders DoorDash all the time. Based on what I've seen, his average DoorDash order for ONE meal, is generally in the 2,000 - 3,000 kcal range. Like most fatties, he's NOT an OMAD type, so at a minimum, he's consuming 4,000+ calories daily (and as is common, engages in as little physical exertion as possible).

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Driving instead of walking
Soft drinks instead of tea
Frozen food instead of fresh food
Starch rich diet instead protein rich diet
View Quote

Been covered many, many times in these threads:
MOST Asian countries (Japan included) have historically had carb/starch biased diets. Rice and/or noodles, and various types of flatbreads (eg. India) make up the bulk of daily calories.

The poorer the families, the more likely for the bulk of their daily calories to come from carbs, because protein (and animal fats) are comparatively much more expensive.

I've traveled quite a bit, and seen what/how the locals eat. The 2lbs of chicken I currently consume daily myself, is as much or more meat than some families of 4 consume for the day.

The crucial difference, mentioned in my previous post, is portion sizes and the total daily calories consumed (coupled with walking a whole lot more).
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just because they have "junk food all over Asia" doesn't make it like it is here.

Our relatively high incomes combined with the absurd overabundance of sweet, fatty junkfood means it's very easy for even the poor to overeat super calorie dense food. Plus our (relatively) easy lives make food a part of our entertainment culture.

We're fat because we have too much calorie dense food available too cheaply and we can all afford to stuff our fat faces with it.

It's not muh hfcs, or muh genetic engineered food, or a conspiracy or the food companies addicting us.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I knew a guy who ate Wendys almost every day, for almost every meal. The most amount of exercize he would get is occasionally playing basket ball. He didn't run. He didn't lift weights. He EXCLUSIVELY drank sodas and juices. Absolutely could not drink water to save his life. Yet somehow, he was scrawny (WTF!?). He wasn't living a super active lifestyle. Yet I've known people who led fairly active lifestyles, who still manage to be fat... and didn't come NEAR his level of eating junk food.
View Quote

Skinny people have a short digestive tract.
They shit every 4 hours and on demand.
Fat people shit once every week or so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve lost 12lbs in 30 days by cutting out heavily processed carbs and foods, all oils except quality EVOO, and no HFCS.
Standard meals
Egg, cheese, pepper and onion burrito for breakfast. Half of a BLT with uncured bacon and home grown tomato’s and lettuce, and then 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 cup of jasmine rice, sautéed veggies and Siracha for dinner. Occasionally will eat a Halo Top ice cream if my sugar craving gets the best of me.
We eat poorly, we move too little, and we’ve forgotten where our food comes from and what should actually count as food.
View Quote

You lost water weight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
HIGH

FRUCTOSE

CORN

SYRUP

It's in everything.

Sorry but the powers to be want America fat, sick and stupid so migrants can take over.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From my personal experience, the activity of eating is different in Japan. They have much smaller portions, and they take their time. In America, we have larger portions and stuff our food down.

View Quote

For folks who've actually traveled abroad, the difference is pretty stark.

One of my favorite things about traveling, is trying the local cuisine.

The food court scene in the movie Crazy Rich Asians made by mouth water, and reminded me of visiting one of those in Singapore. Looking at the huge variety of amazing looking dishes, I started going, "One of those. One of those, and one of those....". The locals were like, "Uhhh... that's a lot of food, man".

When it arrived, I said, "Help yourselves, I just wanted to sample as much as I could". They replied, "Ummm... we ordered what we wanted. You'll probably have to have that packed to go", then later, went, "Wow... we can't believe you actually finished all that by yourself".

Personally, I love that the portions in other countries are significantly smaller, because it allows me to sample more items at each meal. Then again, I don't take a break from working out, even while abroad.

I've been to various Asian restaurants here in the USA and ordered the same dish I've tried overseas, and noted that the portion sizes were significantly bigger, in the restaurants here in the US. I even mentioned it to the actual owners before (not in a negative manner, but merely as a, "I've been to XXXXXX, and every time I ordered this over there, the bowl is usually half the size). Their reply was that Americans are likely to complain about the standard Asian portions, even if the price was commensurately lower.

We've gotten so accustomed to eating like pigs here, that people expect it.

How many people order/eat ONLY ~700 kcal of fast food 3x a day (eg. ONE Whopper sandwich with water and NOTHING else)? The people who DO eat fast food 3x a day, sure the hell don't.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever seen a fat Japanese person.

Hoping there was a pic
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In this thread we learn who knows nothing about the molecular makeup of the various form of carbohydrates. The sugar industry did a good job of getting people to parrot the word "HFCS" without telling what it actually is.

[/img]
View Quote

I think you might be wrong:

"In terms of chemical structure, the fructose and glucose in high-fructose corn syrup are not bound together like in granulated table sugar (sucrose).

Instead, they float separately alongside each other."

Glucose and whatever else is in HFCS, sure, those are the same as the basic chemicals. But just like putting together building blocks, you can put chemicals together differently. That small difference might make a huge difference in how the body processes them. It might not, but they're not "chemically" the same.

Also, people have been eating bread for thousands of years if not more. It's not empty calories. Carbs aren't the devil. Bread can be one of the most nutritious things on Earth to eat, it just depends on which grains and how processed they've been. There's a reason why sayings like "Bread of Life" have been around for so long across many cultures.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think OPs point was that the people who come over here don't change their lifestyle that much, yet they still get fat. Going the other way, Americans who go live abroad also don't change their lifestyle, yet they end up skinnier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They walk less and eat more. It's not too hard to figure out.

I think OPs point was that the people who come over here don't change their lifestyle that much, yet they still get fat. Going the other way, Americans who go live abroad also don't change their lifestyle, yet they end up skinnier.

They change their lifestyles significantly because they don’t walk here compared to home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever seen a fat Japanese person.

Hoping there was a pic
View Quote

Never seen pics of sumotori?

Fat Japanese women, OTOH... the fat Japanese women, are about equivalent to the gals we considered fat here in the 70s (unlike the land whales and mayotankers of today).
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They change their lifestyles significantly because they don’t walk here compared to home.
View Quote

People don't walk in places like New York or Honolulu (tons of Japanese there)? Interesting. I get if Japanese were living in like Cows Crotch, MO, miles away from the nearest market, but generally speaking people are living and touring in major urban areas.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I've traveled all over the world, and whenever I'm gone for 2-3 weeks and I come back, I feel like shit after 2-3 days of eating our food.   I'm eating a similar diet with similar amounts of junk food, but there's something different about the food.   I spent some time in Germany and Poland this year and even ate at plenty of McDonalds and felt fine afterward.

The thresholds in Europe for food safety are much higher.   Many of the additives and preservatives in our food are banned in Europe.

ETA:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11777037/The-risky-food-additives-banned-Europe-legal-US.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Rice is the staple in Japan, bread is the staple in the US.

Freezing and then toasting white bread lowers it's GI 30%
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you know how much rice they eat? The carb argument falls flat when you take into account their diet. As an aside, it is worth pointing out that they are getting fatter over time too. They aren't immune to overeating either. I could link to studies charting the overweight, but it's more fun to point out that their titties are ever expanding.

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/japanese-women's-breast-size-boasts-40-years-of-continued-growth

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carbs.
Do you know how much rice they eat? The carb argument falls flat when you take into account their diet. As an aside, it is worth pointing out that they are getting fatter over time too. They aren't immune to overeating either. I could link to studies charting the overweight, but it's more fun to point out that their titties are ever expanding.

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/japanese-women's-breast-size-boasts-40-years-of-continued-growth

Lol.

I'm not sure what they do to their meat animals in Japan, but I'm wondering if all the growth hormones used in livestock are a factor?

I've recounted this vefore, but some time in the 90s, we went to a Chinese New Year dinner and show at a local college, put on by one of the local associations. One of the things that stuck out to me in the mass of Asians attending, were the number of Asian girls who were in the ~14'ish age range, with large mammaries.

I even commented, "Where were these kinds of Asian girls when I was that age? You were lucky to see B-cups on the average high school aged Asian girls, back then".
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a guy who ate Wendys almost every day, for almost every meal. The most amount of exercize he would get is occasionally playing basket ball. He didn't run. He didn't lift weights. He EXCLUSIVELY drank sodas and juices. Absolutely could not drink water to save his life. Yet somehow, he was scrawny (WTF!?). He wasn't living a super active lifestyle. Yet I've known people who led fairly active lifestyles, who still manage to be fat... and didn't come NEAR his level of eating junk food.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Haven't read any of the thread other than this post, but this. And diet.

I worked on and off in Tokyo for several years, and the food differences were stark.  Portions were much smaller and folks were far more likely to be eating healthier meals.  You'd see four 20-somethings at happy hour splitting a fish, instead of buffalo wings.  And yeah, most folks took public trans and did a lot of walking, but I really think the food was the big difference.

Much of the food Americans east is jacked with fat, sodium, and/or added sugars, which makes it delicious ...and pretty much addicting.  Bonus - our portions are generally huge.
View Quote

I don't know, a bunch of people, myself included, find it much harder to stay lean here, and I don't change hardly anything when I'm in wifey's country. I workout here. I workout there. I walk about 4 miles a day here. I walk about 4 miles a day there. Etc. In fact because we're with family having a good time, I probably eat more calories overall, definitely eat out more, as well as drinking more.

I always come back weighing less, as does my wife. I guess it could just be the difference in stress, but I'm sure a lot of people here know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

One of the things that stuck out to me in the mass of Asians attending, were the number of Asian girls who were in the ~14'ish age range, with large mammaries.

I even commented, "Where were these kinds of Asian girls when I was that age? You were lucky to see B-cups on the average high school aged Asian girls, back then".
View Quote

Checking out 14 year olds. Very classy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The bread is a starchy foods. Starch is polymers of glucose molecules, it has a high glycemic index.

Your meal that you didn't think was junk food, was all processed for various amounts. You categorize chips as potatoes, they are processed, fried in seed oil. They have little of "potato" left.

This is a good example of how Americans think.
View Quote
I can't help but feel like you missed the point.  Even when you try, you can't succeed.  A balance has to be struck between what is available, what is palatable and what is nourishing and healthy.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The may think they are not changing their lifestyle, but in fact, it would be impossible not to be changing their lifestyle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The may think they are not changing their lifestyle, but in fact, it would be impossible not to be changing their lifestyle.

Yep.

People here will get in the car, to drive to the 7-11 at the end of the block.

In many of those foreign countries I've traveled to, you don't even have that option. You HAVE to walk a decent amount EVERY DAY, if you're not trying to be a shut-in.

Walk several blocks to the bus/train/tram stop. Walk several blocks from the destination stop, to get to where you're going. Cabs are prohibitively expensive, that most folks aren't taking a cab ride that's just a few blocks. They walk. It's unavoidable.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Because you bastards are pimping garbage like the mcrib to them

Trash food
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I spent many years working with forgien nationals from all over the world. In no particular order here were their observations on American food.

1. Sugar
HFC and/or Sugar is in everything (to make it addictive) even foods that don’t need it or don’t even taste sweet. Bread and salad dressing. Foods that are sweets/desserts are super sweet in US. A good example is try a traditional Mexican bakery. While the bakery items are sweet they are far less sweet than you are anticipating.

2. Huge Portion sizes
Portions of all foods, from grocery store food packaged items to restaurant meals are huge compared to other countries.

3. Availability
We have a huge variety of premade or minimal prep foods available and fast food available 24/7, 363 days a year. Huge variety as well. We have huge variety of choices of the exact same item. Go look how many

4. Snacking culture
Many Americans can’t bare to leave home without snacks and drinks.

The Europeans always complained about the bread.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Google says you have to walk 1 mile to burn 100 calories.  Not sure that's enough to explain it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the things that stuck out to me in the mass of Asians attending, were the number of Asian girls who were in the ~14'ish age range, with large mammaries.

Lol. It wasn't about checking out minors.

It was noticing the (unusually) huge mammaries on Asian girls, then upon taking a closer look at their facial features, guessing that they're way younger than 18. Most Asian girls in that age bracket when I was that young, probably didn't even need training bras.

That link someone else posted, is mind-boggling to me. That over 50% of the bras sold in Japan nowadays are D-cups,  vs the 4.x% in the 80s?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Google says you have to walk 1 mile to burn 100 calories.  Not sure that's enough to explain it.
View Quote
CICO. It takes a lot of cardio to burn a lot of calories, but combined with taking in less to begin with, the net total per day will be in balance without a caloric surplus. Assuming they walk a mile a day in Japan, and are taking in a maintenance amount of calories to sustain that, if they come here and stop walking that mile, even just eating the same amount of calories would result in a 100 calorie surplus (roughly, without getting into all of the dynamics). Chances are good, however, that they end up consuming even more than they did in Japan.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I eat paleo, and was AIP for a while.  Nearly no if any refined sugar, nothing processed, no shitty oils except what I can't control while occasionally eating out.  I drink water, sparkling water with maybe salt added, good coffee, no or little milk, and wine.  I even switched to mold-free coffee and dry farmed wine for a while.  All meat is pastured, grass fed, sustainably farmed.  I like sushi.  I'm extremely low gluten or gluten free (and yes, it upsets my stomach).  Diet has not helped me lose one pound.  If I want to lose weight, I need to eat 800-1100 calories per day and run 25 miles/week.  I probably lazily consume 2-3k cals in a day, and I gain weight like a motherfucker if I'm doing that.  To lose weight, I have to eat so little that I can't function at my job, no less the 2 hrs or more at the gym 4-5 days/week.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol. It wasn't about checking out minors.

It was noticing the (unusually) huge mammaries on Asian girls, then upon taking a closer look at their facial features, guessing that they're way younger than 18.
View Quote

I think that's pretty much the definition of checking someone out. "Noticing" their boobs, body and face.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, I do agree with you that growth hormones (and to some extent the crazy antibiotics) in meat aren't good for anyone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The bigger issue is Americans have acquired a taste for sickening sweet things. In the south they literally add sugar to all the savory foods. Greens, spaghetti sauce, meats, all with sugar.

I know people that have a little coffee with their sugar, it's like syrup, same with sweet tea. Soda at every meal and in between. If you ask them, they will claim not to eat much. They don't count liquids. I know many that are never seen without one of those bucket sized soft drinks they sell at convenience stores. They are always sipping on it. A continuous sugar drip.

Do without it a fruit will be like desert.  Also, look at how many never have a vegetable. The fattest people are the pickiest eaters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup

I worked with a welder that only drank Mountain Dew. He had one of those pony keg sized 7-11 Big gulp cups with a handle. He drank 2 of those a day. The paramedics founds him slumped in the doorway. Massive heart attack at age 56. He was a heavy smoker too.  

ETA: I believe his mug was 128oz Team Gulp. Assuming some ice that’s roughly 400g of sugar per Team Gulp and he drank 2 a day. One on the way in and one on the way home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think that's pretty much the definition of checking someone out. "Noticing" their boobs, body and face.
View Quote
Do you close your eye every time a potential minor walks by?
There's a difference between staring somebody up and down and noticing obvious physical characteristics at a glance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup

Cane sugar is sucrose - glucose and fructose making 50% each.  HFCS comes in two common types: HFCS 42 and HFCS 55 - the number indicating the % of fructose in the blend.  The rest is glucose.

So, long story short, it’s not HFCS that is doing it.  My guess is it’s seed oils.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Because they're hanging out with fat Americans
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do you close your eye every time a potential minor walks by?
There's a difference between staring somebody up and down and noticing obvious physical characteristics at a glance.
View Quote

Multiple, multiple glances apparently.

And no, I don't close my eyes. I also don't go around noting the breast sizes of 14 year old girls in a room though. I guess in this thread we get to talk about food, and see who the pedophiles are. Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And no, I don't close my eyes. I also don't go around noting the breast sizes of 14 year old girls in a room though. I guess in this thread we get to talk about food, and see who the pedophiles are. Awesome!
View Quote
How would you know they're 14 until you look at them? I think you're being a bit ridiculous in your assumptions here. When I went to school in the early 2000s, there was a public interest in why young girls were developing prematurely, but I don't think the adults discussing that were pedophiles for noticing. At the time they put the blame on hormones in food, but in retrospect, it was probably just mostly due to overeating. Now we've far passed that point and the public debate is on why eight year olds are already built like humpty dumpty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup

Yeah. Growing up I had some childhood neighbor friends from Texas and was shocked at the amount of sugar they consumed and considered it normal.

Even breakfast they would be shaking sugar over their already sweetened cereal.

Bread on a sandwich? Sweetened sugary bread with almost no nutrition.

Tea? Tasted like sugary syrup and they would drink it all day.

It was like every dish had to be sugary and sweetened in some way.

One of them tried some instant Crystal Lite tea that I thought was already overly sweet and they about gagged thinking it was bitter.

My families idea of "iced tea" was brewing real tea, mixing in some honey or minimal sugar, and then putting it in the fridge.

The other one that shocked me is the amount of soda they would consume. Like the entire family of 5 would easily go through a 24 pack or more a day.

I can understand have certain sugary treats on occasion like fun snacks at the annual fair but can't imagine doing that daily.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

At the time they put the blame on hormones in food, but in retrospect, it was probably just mostly due to overeating. Now we've far passed that point and the public debate is on why eight year olds are already built like humpty dumpty.
View Quote

So anyhow...I really don't care about whatever justifications you want to make on the subject, let's just keep to food. Yes, I think eating growth hormones has effects on everyone, and not for the positive, no matter your age.

Does Japan import very much American beef? That's one huge difference about here and the rest of the world, is how we treat our livestock. Most places you go still have shepherds and cows grazing in open fields (among other animals) that get brought in each night. Some places even still move them seasonally (sheep mostly), hundreds of miles, on foot. I never saw a pig farm, so I can't comment on that, but whether it was chickens to beef to sheep, even the animals were living much better lives there. I guess that plays a part too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How would you know they're 14 until you look at them? I think you're being a bit ridiculous in your assumptions here. When I went to school in the early 2000s, there was a public interest in why young girls were developing prematurely, but I don't think the adults discussing that were pedophiles for noticing. At the time they put the blame on hormones in food, but in retrospect, it was probably just mostly due to overeating. Now we've far passed that point and the public debate is on why eight year olds are already built like humpty dumpty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in my 40s and even looking back in my yearbooks and 35mm prints taken all through high school, none of the girls looked like they did today.

Mentioned it to a friend that girls look way older now and he was convinced it was in my head and something that happens when you get older and look back.

Then we went through our yearbooks and it was shocking.

Like if a thin girl had larger breasts, she was an outlier and stood out. I grew up in the normal suburbs too. Not some amish community.

Doesn't help that nowadays your average middle school girl knows how to do make-up contouring, all the designer labels, and shops at Victoria Secrets for push-up bras.

Even in my high school yearbook everyone just looked like normal teenagers. Like older kids in awkward phase before adulthood.

One of my friends showed me pics of his Jr high and high school daughter with friends doing a group photo before a recent Taylor Swift concert.

All of them could have easily passed as 18 or even early 20s. Not one of them looked like a "kid."

Today there is no "awkward" phase.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Does Japan import very much American beef?
View Quote
From what I've heard, it's expensive. I don't know how much they eat as a result, but it's available.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
From what I've heard, it's expensive. I don't know how much they eat as a result, but it's available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Japan import very much American beef?

Japan is the United States' largest export market for beef, according to the U.S. Meat Export Federation, with the country raking in 320,737 metric tons in 2021, up 5% from 2020.

https://www.drovers.com/news/ag-policy/japans-growing-demand-quality-us-beef-officially-safeguarded

I'm not trying to "gotcha, proved you wrong!" I actually had to look it up because I assumed as you did. I had no idea.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.drovers.com/news/ag-policy/japans-growing-demand-quality-us-beef-officially-safeguarded

I'm not trying to "gotcha, proved you wrong!" I actually had to look it up because I assumed as you did. I had no idea.

View Quote
I didn't say they didn't, I just said it was expensive, I'm doing the math right now on outback steakhouse, which they claim is American sourced.

Yeah it's fucked. 7,500 yen ($51.74) for a 600 gram cut. it's 12.5 yen per gram.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep.

People here will get in the car, to drive to the 7-11 at the end of the block.

In many of those foreign countries I've traveled to, you don't even have that option. You HAVE to walk a decent amount EVERY DAY, if you're not trying to be a shut-in.

Walk several blocks to the bus/train/tram stop. Walk several blocks from the destination stop, to get to where you're going. Cabs are prohibitively expensive, that most folks aren't taking a cab ride that's just a few blocks. They walk. It's unavoidable.
View Quote

And the standing in between, at least an hour a day of standing instead of sitting.

Also many stand on the public transport as well.

I think the Walmart trip is the most standing the people around Nashville do in a week.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top