Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If I did this I would end up in the Orient like Rambo.   Somewhere warm where I can get by most of the time with light shorts, a t-shirt and sandals.   Someplace with excellent and cheap food like Thailand or Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
My uncle divorced his wife of 30 years and told his 4 grown kids that he loved them but never wanted to be contacted again. He sold everything he owned, liquidated his pension and moved to Punta Arenas, Chile.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Friend of mine fo'd.

At one point he was in Ketchikan AK, another point Pittsburgh, best I can gather now is that he's in MT, but it's been probably 4 years or so since I've heard from him. He's cut off contact with pretty much everyone. At this point he probably has a bad drug habit, he was popping a lot of pain meds (opioids) before he fo'd.
View Quote
Dont wish I'll on your friend.  Have hope instead that he's cleaned up.  Maybe the situation he was in was causing the stressors which were being relieved by the meds.  Remove the situation and its stressors and no longer will he need the meds. Since he fo'd, he is out of his situation and hopefully doesn't need to self medicate anymore. Contacting the people that he knew while in the situation then will only revisit the past and whatever caused the med use.  He has to start with a new clean slate, new venue, new people.
I'm rambling but you get the point.  Sometimes you need to get a new beginning.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I highly recommend "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.  It's a classic long-distance road trip book by a master storyteller.  TLDR; Steinbeck has a custom camper built for his pickup truck and he hits the road with his dog, Charley.  They are out to see America.  He has no set schedule and goes where the winds blows.  I really enjoyed that book.
View Quote
That's one of my favorites that gets enjoyed once a year, Probably the best snapshot of 1960's America ever written.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
"The things you own, end up owning you"----Fight Club
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I did that almost 30 years ago. No matter where you go... There you are.  Its been a hell of a ride.
I was offered a job to travel with the Ringling Bros Circus.  I turned them down. Running away with the circus was too cleché.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm doing it right now. Just work remote and move around every 3-6 months.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, wish I would have seen this post before I got married and had three kids.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Give him credit for cajones.
View Quote
Cajones means crates. You’re thinking of conejos.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give him credit for cajones.
He meant cojones.

cojones plural noun

co·?jo·?nes | \k?-'ho-?nas  
Definition of cojones 

1slang : NERVE sense 3

2slang : TESTES

History and Etymology for cojones

Spanish, literally, testicles

conejo

MASCULINE NOUN

1. (animal) 

a. rabbit 

3. (vulgar) (female genitalia) 

Alternatively, he could have used Huevos.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's one of my favorites that gets enjoyed once a year, Probably the best snapshot of 1960's America ever written.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I highly recommend "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.  It's a classic long-distance road trip book by a master storyteller.  TLDR; Steinbeck has a custom camper built for his pickup truck and he hits the road with his dog, Charley.  They are out to see America.  He has no set schedule and goes where the winds blows.  I really enjoyed that book.
Does he bang lot lizards in the camper?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
My son has just taken that life style up. His opinion is, I'm not playing the game. He is a vet, had a little TBI from blowing things up on route clearance in the Stan. Gets a small check from it. His buddy has been doing it for about 2 years I guess. Doesn't want to be in the Matrix. Go in debt for the college, the house the 2.5 kids etc. He's divorced, She is still military and will be taking his kid out of state for a while doing some training. So his "plan" is to pay off the debt he does have (divorce and credit card) by minimal living and work when he wants to.

Not much of a plan in my opinion and I let him know it. You're only young once I guess.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm 34 and managed to tuck away just $3500 a month over the last year or so. If I can keep that l for the next 6 years, I'll probably fuck off to east asia for a year or two. Go bounce around the Philipines, Thailand, Bali, and Korea.

Maybe sell dick pics on instagram for quick cash if needed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would’ve drive through the lower 48 and Alaska stopping anywhere that piques my interest.
Some folks want to see the world but there’s so much to see in the good old USA first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not all those who wander are lost.

My plan.....a truck and cab over camper or maybe a trailer and keep on driving.
Where would you go first?

It always seems like people in the North head South, and those in the South head North. Anywhere but where they’re from.
I would’ve drive through the lower 48 and Alaska stopping anywhere that piques my interest.
Some folks want to see the world but there’s so much to see in the good old USA first.
Theres a place out west called Lake Eufalin. There's an inn nearby. My ex wife was not amused with my excitement when we found it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Freedom
View Quote
OMG this was the first thing I thought of. Your jib is of the finest cut.

Janice Joplin said it best: “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.”
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chris McCandless wasn't wrong and he was just a college student. If you haven't read Into the Wild, do it now. Or at least watch the movie.
View Quote
I liked that movie
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does he bang lot lizards in the camper?
View Quote
I'm not posting spoilers from a 58 year old book.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Here yo go OP.

This is very thought provoking

My Dinner With Andre
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8v_XqFO8Bc
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Save some cash

Move to some asian sweat pit

Hookers hookers hookers

run out of money

check out kaboom style

Life well spent
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I meet bums every day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chris McCandless wasn't wrong and he was just a college student. If you haven't read Into the Wild, do it now. Or at least watch the movie.
View Quote
And then he died in a junk bus in the interior of Alaska.  I read the book years ago.  Grest book but he was an idiot and he ultimately died because of it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can "walk away" without living 1000 miles off the grid, eating poison berries.
View Quote
I was looking around a bit.There are places you can get a house for under 50K easy enough. If you have a truck and camper you can go from Wal Mart to Wal Mart. If you have a little pension and do odd jobs You could get by on a grand or so and actually have some type of roof.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Kinda doing it myself right now.  I just left my cushy Real Estate job in CA to move to Texas and get my Class A CDL and become an OTR trucker for at least a year.  I can't explain it but it's something I've always wanted to do.  I'm 48, divorced and the kid went off to college so I figured I better do it now if I'm ever going to do it.  So far, it's been a blast.  I feel like I'm 18 again.  Well, my knees don't but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And then he died in a junk bus in the interior of Alaska.  I read the book years ago.  Grest book but he was an idiot and he ultimately died because of it.
View Quote
He did, if he made it through that winter he probably would've had enough adventure and gone about a normal life, but it didn't work out like that. He didn't kill anyone in the process.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Go drive a truck.
I just had to upgrade my CDL to an A so I can tow heavy trailers with my bucket truck , and we pay a driving school to administer the pre trip inspection test, and driving portions of the test.
I was offered a job by three different trucking company recruiters and the guy who gave me the test.
The people who pay for the full course $6k, will spend 4 weeks in school and be offered a job making 60k a year and reimbursement for their tuition.
You could get paid to walk away, and you can live in a company truck and make even more money for never wanting to go back home. I'm thinking this has to be one of the fastest and least expensive ways to 60k+ a year, and you could do it with minimal cost of living. Some of them even pay per diem, and hotels on mandatory DOT off days.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I dream about dissappearing and foing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Coworker. Sold his huge Snap On box full of tools to another coworker. Sold his home and car, left in his truck truck for who knows where.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve done it twice, sort of.  The first time I brought my wife and a duffle of clothes.  The second time I brought my wife, two kids, and about eight duffles of clothes.  Sold houses, cars, furniture, tools, etc and moved across the world.  The first time with no job lined up, the second time with a job first (because kids, responsibility).  There is no greater feeling than having liquidated all assets and having only cash and no other possessions, zero debt of any sort.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve done it twice, sort of.  The first time I brought my wife and a duffle of clothes.  The second time I brought my wife, two kids, and about eight duffles of clothes.  Sold houses, cars, furniture, tools, etc and moved across the world.  The first time with no job lined up, the second time with a job first (because kids, responsibility).  There is no greater feeling than having liquidated all assets and having only cash, zero debt of any sort.
View Quote
How long does that great feeling last?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve done it twice, sort of.  The first time I brought my wife and a duffle of clothes.  The second time I brought my wife, two kids, and about eight duffles of clothes.  Sold houses, cars, furniture, tools, etc and moved across the world.  The first time with no job lined up, the second time with a job first (because kids, responsibility).  There is no greater feeling than having liquidated all assets and having only cash, zero debt of any sort.
The zero debt feeling lasts forever (or as long as you want it to).  The no possessions feeling lasts until you start accumulating shit again.  I like to move every five years just to purge it all.  My wife is more proactive.  She constantly gets rid of stuff we aren’t using.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He did, if he made it through that winter he probably would've had enough adventure and gone about a normal life, but it didn't work out like that. He didn't kill anyone in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like he killed his self, slowly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Not hard to understand. There are days (many) that i just want to turn off the noise and get away from it all. Wherever the road takes me...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:29:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Ed Greer

I was his office mate when the FBI picked him up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The same thought has crossed my mind.  More than once
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The same thought has crossed my mind.  More than once
Quoted:
I can imagine some guy, no real debts, but no close friends or family ties and obligations, and he's working some job he doesn't really hate, but doesn't really like. So he gets out of bed, goes and does his job, comes home, microwaves himself some chicken strips, watches some crap he doesn't care about on TV, goes to sleep, and gets up to do it all again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state.

Or in my case, once I'm retired, go walk about with the 5th wheel in tow..
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My cousin was working for the power company for two years after high school.

Hated it and was tired of the small town.

Saved all of his money for the next year (lived with his dad) and went on a 6 mo trip to Europe.

Well... It turned into a 2 year trip around the world. He has seen places I could never dream of.

He would use up his money traveling to a new place and getting a hostel somewhere, then get a job and save up until he had enough to go to the next place.

He has a YouTube channel too where he documented his entire trip.

Just moved back a month or so ago.

He is already saving up for his next trip.

I've got to admit, it takes some serious balls to go out on your own with no backup plan. I'm proud of him.
View Quote
there is an entire sub culture in the US that does this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you.  I love Steinbeck, but I've somehow missed this one.  I need another audiobook for my Winter commute.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a couple of times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've done it.  Nothing like the feeling of freedom at the start of an adventure like that.

Thinking about doing it again, maybe next year.  Have a lot of money saved up, but want a little more cushion.

Live free or die.
View Quote
I think...you might not get it...or I don't.  That cushion you seek--you're going on a vacation, and nothing else.
I sort of thought this thread was about guys not working for a cushion.  Just saying fuck it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It always seems like people in the North head South, and those in the South head North. Anywhere but where they're from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not all those who wander are lost.

My plan.....a truck and cab over camper or maybe a trailer and keep on driving.

It always seems like people in the North head South, and those in the South head North. Anywhere but where they're from.
West-  you head West

I wondered around for a bit.  Not too long and not too hard.

Sold/donated/gifted everything but my dog, a single action 44 mag, and my truck with some day to day stuff and started over.

Spent a LOT of time wandering around the Southwest.  National Forests are easy to get lonesome in.

Odd jobs, cold weather, and silence.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Made a friend on the back side of his FU moment. Got divorced, rode around on his motorcycle until he ran out of money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hit the road in my twenties and bought an island in northern Canada. Built a house, lived there for some years.
One summer I packed a canoe and paddled through the Yukon, into the Northwest Territories, and down to the Mackenzie Delta. Poled and lined the canoe up through the Richardson Mountains and paddled into Alaska.

Now I live on some nice land in the Bridger Teton in Wyoming. Built the house.
You can do this stuff if you have a mind to. Lots of work, but worth it.
View Quote
Do you have any pics of the island house?  I'm curious.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I did it, worked as an engineer, made lots of cash in my early/mid 20's then became a renaissance man of sorts, traveling this country, South/Central America and parts of Europe and aside from the occasional female drama I was never stressed or upset with my status in life, I was as close to being truly happy as I have ever been. It's funny, you'd think that after a few years of that life I would never return to the "grind" and chasing the "American Dream" but I did and all for a woman who sucked me into believing in social status and monetary accomplishments again. As expected that ended badly and blew up in my face. Once again I said screw it and this time gave Uncle Sam some time, found my core once more and now I am out and finishing up a graduate degree on my GI Bill and I hope to embark on a new career here later this year.

I plan to hammer out another 10 years and then it's time to sell it all and hit the road with the misses for good.We are already building our travel rig and for now we spend our free time venturing out on weekends in rural areas, I guess you could call it "overlanding" but we just call it adventure travel. Lucky for us a relative is leaving us property to retire to and we will always have that base to come home to and eventually settle down when it comes time to slow the travels.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:55:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Didn't a Arfcom member travel the country visiting other members with little with him? He may have stayed a day or two or maybe a few hours?
I thought i read that here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I drove an 18 wheeler back a couple decades ago. And I learned something, give me a hot meal, a shower, and a good nights sleep and I'm happy enough.

I can imagine some guy, no real debts, but no close friends or family ties and obligations, and he's working some job he doesn't really hate, but doesn't really like. So he gets out of bed, goes and does his job, comes home, microwaves himself some chicken strips, watches some crap he doesn't care about on TV, goes to sleep, and gets up to do it all again. Maybe you try to hang out with old high school friends or people from work, but they all have families. So maybe you hang out in a bar for a bit but you don't really like drinking, or drunks. I live like that except that I do have family obligations and people depending on me to maintain a house. And the truth is those obligations are what makes doing that same thing over and over again tolerable. Without that, what the hell are you really living for?

So, yea, I can see someone in that situation figuring that they have enough marketable skills to survive by doing odd jobs. So they just sell everything except the essentials and hit the road for a while.
View Quote
This is me, almost exactly.  I've been leaning toward cutting out more and more lately.  90% of what I own could be liquidated and would never be missed.  In fact if I sell my house later this year or maybe next, 50/50 I'll bounce.  I turn up for family stuff twice a year tops as it is, so I'll keep doing that.  A phone call now and then and every one is happy, no worries

Pure win.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I know of several people who have done this.  Every single one of them had mental issues, and was being rewarded for it by the government.  $3K/month tax free for life.

Being young, healthy, and having a guaranteed income without having to work allows you to do some crazy shit, things that regular guys just can't do.

I know guys with the RV fantasy.  Here's the thing about RVs: They're ridiculously expensive to maintain, and I swear they're self-destructive.  I know of a group who travel 6-9 months out of the year (all .gov retirees, including my in-laws), and every single year, there is at least one new crisis that is anywhere from $5K to $12K to repair.  RV fantasy guys have to be well off to travel in those things--if you don't know this and are considering it, please talk to some folks who live that lifestyle.  RV resale is shit, and there's a reason for it.

You'd honestly be better off in a camper/truck, unless you were already wealthy, had an extensive cushion, or a substantial guaranteed income.

I'm not sure that most people are aware how expensive it is to live off grid, as well.  It's kinda one of those pick two situations, where the choices are healthy, inexpensive, and sustainable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I have two small kids.

They’re all that keeps me from doing something like that, then probably settling somewhere overseas.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have two small kids.

They’re all that keeps me from doing something like that, then probably settling somewhere overseas.
View Quote
We brought the kids, only intending to stay two years and have them back by kindergarten.  That was almost six years ago and they are happier than ever.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top