Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/31/2023 12:58:45 PM EDT
Bill clinton ( shitweasel ), crowed about 300 million guns in citizens hands all the way back in 1994, I’m sure before that, and even then IMHO it was simply a wild ass guess, ( probably low ) as they simply have no clue how many were manufactured , imported, brought home by soldiers, huge variety of nazi weapons imported by the ship load for public sale, massive numbers of other surplus weapons imported, smuggled in by various actors, etc from the dawn of the USA, say, 1492 - 1968 before they really started paying attention. Then from 1968- today they still don’t, as their records suck.  Atf with their highly regulated machine gun registry can’t even tell you how many legal machine guns exist, much less how many regular guns are manufactured each year / were made / imported etc since 1968.

Anyway.. they have been crowing 300 million since at least 1994, and are still saying 300 million today usually, over so, 30 years. Imho it’s realistically probably 500 million easily, possibly 700 million, no one fucking knows.

And daily hundreds / thousands of new guns are sold, hundreds of thousands a year, just endlessly pouring into the gaping bottomless hole that’s American gun lovers create, plus billions of rds of ammo, accessories, magazines, and best of all, most of those guns manufactured a hundred years ago are still operating, working, and sitting in closets, gun racks even today.  USA possesses something like 1/2-3/4 of the guns on planet earth, despite only being 350 million out of 6 billion.

It’s mind boggling. It’s also….

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I try thinking about just the number of ARs from time to time.

30, 50, 80 million all seem possible. No idea what the actual number is but I know they ain’t going away. Ever.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn’t help if it’s like one older fat guy with 100 guns.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
All I know is, if anyone asks me, my response is, "Guns?  I don't own any guns.  Guns are icky."  

Just like Republicans tend to underpoll, gun owners probably underpoll by a much larger factor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

30, 50, 80 million all seem possible. No idea what the actual number is but I know they ain’t going away. Ever.
View Quote

Shit how many PSAs and Anderson’s were sold in the last 5 years alone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not today Mr. ATF man.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have thought about it more than a few times.  My conclusion is usually the same; if guns really were the problem the left make them out to be, things would be significantly worse.  There's not a "gun problem".
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Never heard of the things.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes I have and often laugh at numbers tossed about.

My guess is, at least,  3.7 firearms for every known person in the USA.

Some are days old, some or 100 years old and every age in-between.. guns age, not the people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Why the fuck would you own an ar15?

Take on the government?

You would need f15s there bucko
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leave fluffy and his garands out of this
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I know is, if anyone asks me, my response is, "Guns?  I don't own any guns.  Guns are icky."  

Just like Republicans tend to underpoll, gun owners probably underpoll by a much larger factor.
View Quote

Pretty much word for word what I said going through the Canada border one time. Thank god they didn't care to go through my wallet and find my CCW.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The common question from foreigners was

"Smurf10161, you don't own a gun, do you?"

No, absolutely not. I don't own a* gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just thinking the other day about how between my dad and I, we probably have 30-40 guns.

To many here that's probably a beginning number.  Amateur hour.

To someone anti 2A, that's a straight up terrifying number of guns. An ARSENAL of WEAPONS OF WAR.

I'll go with the latter. It makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
How many are off the books because they are printed, milled, finished at home?

Millions!  

So AfT can \/
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bill clinton ( shitweasel ), crowed about 300 million guns in citizens hands all the way back in 1994, I’m sure before that, and even then IMHO it was simply a wild ass guess, ( probably low ) as they simply have no clue how many were manufactured , imported, brought home by soldiers, huge variety of nazi weapons imported by the ship load for public sale, massive numbers of other surplus weapons imported, smuggled in by various actors, etc from the dawn of the USA, say, 1492 - 1968 before they really started paying attention. Then from 1968- today they still don’t, as their records suck.  Atf with their highly regulated machine gun registry can’t even tell you how many legal machine guns exist, much less how many regular guns are manufactured each year / were made / imported etc since 1968.

Anyway.. they have been crowing 300 million since at least 1994, and are still saying 300 million today usually, over so, 30 years. Imho it’s realistically probably 500 million easily, possibly 700 million, no one fucking knows.

And daily hundreds / thousands of new guns are sold, hundreds of thousands a year, just endlessly pouring into the gaping bottomless hole that’s American gun lovers create, plus billions of rds of ammo, accessories, magazines, and best of all, most of those guns manufactured a hundred years ago are still operating, working, and sitting in closets, gun racks even today.  USA possesses something like 1/2-3/4 of the guns on planet earth, despite only being 350 million out of 6 billion.

It’s mind boggling. It’s also….

https://i.imgur.com/6kHdrD1.gif
View Quote

Several years ago someone tried to estimate it using manufacturing, import, and registration numbers. They came up with 750 million to 1 billion firearms.
In the US, the typical compliance rate with gun control laws which require some sort of registration is estimated at 10% to 15%. California and NY quietly revised downward their estimates of guns to be registered when the registration rates were embarrassingly low.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll bet AFT has thought about it far more than any of us have. Probably from the same angle our military looks at the Russians and Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I have, whenever the idea of bans and turn-ins comes up. So pretty frequently.

The number is massive. Half a billion on the conservative (low) side? More?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Take on the government?

View Quote

ARF15s?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right! Now add to that the untold numbers of 80% lowers, consider 5 mags for every semi auto and you have a laughable MINIMUM of mags.....

No, they can pass whatever laws, the guns are here to stay. Lots of anti-gunners dont want to embrace that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#22]
There have been 443 Million NICS checks since introduces in 1998.  Add that to Clinton's 300 Million and you get 743 Million.

Although not all of those resulted in a gun purchase, it also doesn't reflect the number of multiple purchases or purchases without a NICS check by CCW permit holders.

The real number is probably closer to a billion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.

Arfcom did.  10+ years ago.  Maybe longer.

The thread was about posting evidence of a certain gun and production numbers.

I posted a picture of the engraving on the ten million'th Remington 870 made.

Others posted similar pictures of other guns, advertisements saying this the xxx,xxx,xxx gun of this RemWinColRugMarWby model ever made, etc.

Evidence of over a billion guns before the thread faded away after only a few pages.

Then start counting the imports.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have, whenever the idea of bans and turn-ins comes up. So pretty frequently.

The number is massive. Half a billion on the conservative (low) side? More?
View Quote

More.

2-5x more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Not enough that's for sure.

I really won't be happey until there are so many that they lay in the streets and people walk right by them due to the shear excess.

Like how people walk by used cigarette butts on the street.

Not even a glance.

Only then will there be enough guns in America.

I feel guns, drugs,& ammo, should be sold in vending machines.

Things would sort out real quick like that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There have been 443 Million NICS checks since introduces in 1998.  Add that to Clinton's 300 Million and you get 743 Million.

Although not all of those resulted in a gun purchase, it also doesn't reflect the number of multiple purchases or purchases without a NICS check by CCW permit holders.

The real number is probably closer to a billion.
View Quote

Well over.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

personal attack  
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Whatever the number, it's not enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!  I thought I was the only one that did that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I only think about it briefly because it makes me sad there are so many guns in circulation in the USA.

And I don't have more of them in my safe...
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember when Ruger released the LCP. A few months later they announced a recall and it was 400,000 guns! also wiped out the .380 ammo inventory for the entire country for like a year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Driving cross country there are ads for shooting ranges and gun shops and everything has a silhouette of an AR. People who live in California or the Northeast have no clue. You seem them posting on Twitter "tee hee Ing" about guys with ARs or body armor. The AR is as ubiquitous in flyover land as AKs are in the Middle East.
View Quote

100% a large part of the problem.

Concentrations of population in the USA in the NE and W coast have little idea how common and ordinary an AR or three is for a family to own. Same with ordinary striker fired concealable pistols with reasonable capacities like 15+ rounds.

It's not particularly dangerous - it's sure not unusual - and the hundred million or more owners of common guns like that sure resent being told that they're outrageous for wanting to own such guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Take on the government?

View Quote

Don't forget nukes.  Swalwell says the government could use nukes against us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#37]
With 3D printing I'm sure that number is way higher than they ever thought.

All the parts kits, barrels, etc people buy aren't counted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I have always wondered how many guns are lost or destroyed every year.
You see videos of police confiscated guns and guns going into the shredder and ask how many?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

personal attack  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

personal attack  

No I just mean that the militia part of 2A requires all able bodied men.  Armed and trained citizens are the protection against government tyranny that we need.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I have trouble just fathoming how many are in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I never talked about guns to "outsiders" in NY.
View Quote

I'm an "outed" ammosexual.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Now think about the number of people who have the will to use them to do the needful...
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not a boomer, but that thread has inspired me to take them with me. Looks like a reverse mortgage so I can buy a mausoleum to bury my guns, guitars and other things in with me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Considering that guns last a long time, that they're simple machines built to last, and that we've been manufacturing them in the USA since before the Revolution... yeah, way more than 300 million. Easily twice that number.

I have guns from the 19th century that still work just fine.

And though there are many gun owners who own only a shotgun and a 10/22, there are tens of millions who own ten or more guns (what the left calls an "arsenal").

Let's say we averaged our 125 million legal gun owners to five guns each... that's 625 million guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have always wondered how many guns are lost or destroyed every year.
You see videos of police confiscated guns and guns going into the shredder and ask how many?
View Quote

It’s usually a bunch of rusty beat to hell  single shot shotguns, .22s and junk handguns getting destroyed. Then replaced by Glocks & ARs.

I’ve got some more junk guns to trade for gift cards at the next buy back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Concentrations of population in the USA in the NE and W coast have little idea how common and ordinary an AR or three is for a family to own. Same with ordinary striker fired concealable pistols with reasonable capacities like 15+ rounds.

It's not particularly dangerous - it's sure not unusual - and the hundred million or more owners of common guns like that sure resent being told that they're outrageous for wanting to own such guns.
View Quote

I think they do know.

I think there are active attempts to downplay it.

How many magazines came into CA during Freedom Week?  How come that was never seriously discussed?  Very much 'pooh-poohed'.

Whenever I shoot in public, there is always an AR present--usually multiple.  If the AR isn't the most popular firearm in CA, I'll eat a bug.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now think about the number of people who have the will to use them to do the needful...
View Quote

Sure.

You might be surprised.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to a training seminar in Houston. Ended up befriending a couple of the guys from Texas and Louisiana over - you guessed it - shooting and hunting.

One of the guys in the training was Canadian. He felt it necessary to butt in as we were talking ARs just so he could let us know we were crazy for owning such things,  didn't we feel it wasn't safe to have them, etc. He actually became uncomfortable that we were just talking about them.

I had just bought an AES10B RPK and asked him what he thought about that. Showed him a pic with a 75rd drum mag. Dude just recoiled in horror, said "you're fucking nuts" and went back to his side of the conference room.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

2020-2021 seemed to have a lot of gun store guys exclaiming on the sheer number of new shooters / self admitted first-time gun buyers they were seeing.  It would appear that millions, possibly tens of millions, of people bought their first guns recently.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top