BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
only one way an F-16 crashes into a building and does not get engulfed in a fireball and that if there isnt any fuel in it.
View Quote
Unless it hits piles of boxes stacked to the ceiling, which act as a giant shock absorber and prevent hard impact into the cement?

That airframe looks intact to me.

Send her back to maintenance, replace a few parts, and get her back in the air...
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I always fail at embedding tweets. I have given up and gone to linking.
View Quote
In the upper right hand corner of the tweet there is a downward facing chevron, click on that, then click on "copy link to tweet" then when you reply to arfcom, click the little tweet birdy at the top of the arfcom reply window and Ctl V / paste the link.

Try it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hydrazine will ruin you day. What does the aircraft use the Hydrazine for?
View Quote
Emergency Power Unit.

The F16 does not have a APU.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In the upper right hand corner of the tweet there is a downward facing chevron, click on that, then click on "copy link to tweet" then when you reply to arfcom, click the little tweet birdy at the top of the arfcom reply window and Ctl V / paste the link.

Try it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well it worked today.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Stop/contain leak/spread if possible.
Flush solid surfaces/objects and dilute with water.
Chemically neutralize.
Put every last thing that was contaminated into barrels and ship it off for some other guy to deal with.
View Quote
All while wearing a shit ton of PPE.  His job sucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well it worked today.
View Quote
I feel like I accomplished something today.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I good on this till I drink or sleep so by the end of tomorrow night I am fucked again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be the first time an F-16 crashed because of fuel starvation. No fire? I'm not saying it's devoid of fuel...but...
View Quote
We safety wired the MAIN FUEL Shutoff valve OPEN the entire time I worked on them to ensure they did not close accidently because of pilot error or system failure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuel starvation in a -16 is very low probability.  The engine will still siphon fuel with all pumps off.   It is possible to shut off fuel flow, but to do so accidentally is also very unlikely.

edit- I see you probably meant running out of fuel.   Always a possibility, but unlikely unless he had  both a fuel quantity indication discrepancy and was also not paying attention to time in flight.  Again unlikely.  Military pilots rarely run out fuel in peacetime.
View Quote
MFSO is safety wired open.  Could have run out of gas, T-Birds did it last year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well it worked today.
Is that allowed for a CW5?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We’re automatically considered guilty.
View Quote
Yep, go pee in the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

215 is now closed in both directions, glad to hear that the GF is ok
View Quote
so that is why the freeway was closed when i went home today.  had to take a 20 minute detour.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I last heard the news about 9 PM and the freeway was still closed in both directions.
View Quote
Guess they are still trying to figure out how to deal with the splody stuff?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a daily requirement, so that made my daily quota.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is March anywhere near where Norton Air Force Base used to be?

I remember going to an airshow at Norton around 1968 or so. Or maybe it was just an open house deal.
View Quote
Yes, March is about 30 miles south of Norton.

Fun fact: March AFB was where they parked AF1 when President Reagan was visiting his ranch in Santa Barbara Ca.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured that would be "I made a cup of coffee today" or "I pooped" or maybe even "I showed up to formation to confuse the fuck out of people."
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
To clear up a possible misconception:

The EPU provides no thrust.  It only provides electrical power and hydraulic pressure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The EPU provides no thrust.  It only provides electrical power and hydraulic pressure.
View Quote
I kinda figured only the engine provided thrust.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The red is where the freeway is still shut down.

https://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?lat=33.83467&lon=-117.33717&z=2
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I kinda figured only the engine provided thrust.
View Quote
Yeah, not aimed at anyone.  I just wanted to admit we often use way too many acronyms and abbreviations.  We also may intentionally or unintentionally omit information that is not directly relevant and general knowledge to us, but not to those outside of aviation or the military.   Some information or aggregated information could also be considered sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I figured that would be "I made a cup of coffee today" or "I pooped" or maybe even "I showed up to formation to confuse the fuck out of people."
View Quote
Well, of course.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fun fact: March AFB was where they parked AF1 when President Reagan was visiting his ranch in Santa Barbara Ca.
View Quote
No, Air Force One landed at Point Mugu NAS.  The NEACP was always at March AFB when President Reagan was in Santa Barbara.  If you are going off of a memory of seeing a plane on March that looked like AF1, then what you saw was the Boeing E-4/747.  It was big and shiny, too.  I spent sometime walking around the NEACP and the officer’s billets when they were on base.  President Reagan screwed up a lot of holidays for me then and later in my civilian career.

In the 70’s, March had a B52 mission.  It went to Guam in the 80’s.  In the 80’s, March had a KC-10 refueling mission and a number of reserve units that flew F4’s.  It was a SAC base and 15th Air Force was housed just to the SW of where that crash was.  The building where the crash occurred used to be base housing.  That whole area west of the 215 was called Arnold Heights.  With the reductions over the years, March has lost a significant footprint.  The base hospital, where my oldest son was born, has been torn down.  The main gate was closed and moved to what used to be a back gate entrance.

The small footprint of the base now still contains a lot of neat, historical buildings.  I think the old officer’s housing is low income rentals, but I could be wrong.  It’s unfortunate that it is not used more.  Most of the flights are for package/shipping.  Norton is also used for shipping.  Moreno Valley took a hit with the base reduction.

Anyway, traffic is disrupted on the 215 (the only one, all the rest are called I-215.  No others are called “the 215.”  It’s a California thing, right?).  The building is messed up, but no lives lost!

ETA:  NEACP is National Emergency Airborne Command Post, pronounced “kneecap.”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That wasn't my point really.

That viper not causing an explosion and fire? Wow!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s only 1 March ARB and it’s right next to the 1 I-215 here in California.

Kind of narrows it down.
That wasn't my point really.

That viper not causing an explosion and fire? Wow!
What was your point then, because you made it seem like you couldn't figure out whether the crash was near the 215 in California, Nevada, or Utah?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is March anywhere near where Norton Air Force Base used to be?

I remember going to an airshow at Norton around 1968 or so. Or maybe it was just an open house deal.

Probably closer than Edwards. It's amazing how many AFB/NASs SoCal has lost. NorCal as well. Sucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whatever happened to using an old Chevy 350?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Probably closer than Edwards. It's amazing how many AFB/NASs SoCal has lost. NorCal as well. Sucks.
View Quote
They lost George, AFB, too.  I think it was a TAC base and Norton was MAC.  All three were within 50 ish miles of each other.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They lost George, AFB, too.  I think it was a TAC base and Norton was MAC.  All three were within 50 ish miles of each other.
View Quote
Since CA went SJW, all but the most essential mil functions have left.

NAS, AFB, Ft Ord, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

NAS, AFB, Ft Ord, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NAS, AFB, Ft Ord, etc.
They still track Russian ICBMs from Beale.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad everyone is safe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

George, El Toro and several navy bases and weapons stations. Alameda NAS, Concord NWS, Mare Island, Hunter's Point in SF and more.

I can't blame them for leaving the SF Bay Area. All they get is BS from the cities around here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No, Air Force One landed at Point Mugu NAS.  The NEACP was always at March AFB when President Reagan was in Santa Barbara.  If you are going off of a memory of seeing a plane on March that looked like AF1, then what you saw was the Boeing E-4/747.  It was big and shiny, too.  I spent sometime walking around the NEACP and the officer’s billets when they were on base.  President Reagan screwed up a lot of holidays for me then and later in my civilian career.

In the 70’s, March had a B52 mission.  It went to Guam in the 80’s.  In the 80’s, March had a KC-10 refueling mission and a number of reserve units that flew F4’s.  It was a SAC base and 15th Air Force was housed just to the SW of where that crash was.  The building where the crash occurred used to be base housing.  That whole area west of the 215 was called Arnold Heights.  With the reductions over the years, March has lost a significant footprint.  The base hospital, where my oldest son was born, has been torn down.  The main gate was closed and moved to what used to be a back gate entrance.

The small footprint of the base now still contains a lot of neat, historical buildings.  I think the old officer’s housing is low income rentals, but I could be wrong.  It’s unfortunate that it is not used more.  Most of the flights are for package/shipping.  Norton is also used for shipping.  Moreno Valley took a hit with the base reduction.

Anyway, traffic is disrupted on the 215 (the only one, all the rest are called I-215.  No others are called “the 215.”  It’s a California thing, right?).  The building is messed up, but no lives lost!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188107/AAB2DFC6-62F5-435D-A6C9-5F24B8AA54DC_jpeg-947724.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188107/AAB2DFC6-62F5-435D-A6C9-5F24B8AA54DC_jpeg-947724.JPG
Thank you for the correction and information. I always thought that was AF1 parked on the south side of the base. Never to old to learn something.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you for the correction and information. I always thought that was AF1 parked on the south side of the base. Never to old to learn something.
View Quote
You’re welcome.  Had I not been stationed there and involved with the plane when President Reagan visited I would have thought the same thing.

On a related note, the AF1 plane President Reagan used is in his library in Simi Valley.  If you haven’t been, it’s worth the visit.  Impressive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#35]
This is hitting a little too close to home.  The F-16 is reported to be from the 114th Fighter Wing out of Sioux Falls, SD.  One of my good friend's son flies for the 114th.  They are out west for training.  

Sioux Falls
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#36]
No fire...jet was empty too of fuel?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is NAOC not NEACP.  I work closely with the mission.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How does a plane not get fueled? I mean it seems like an important part of getting one ready to fly. Don't they have a fuel gauge of sorts and shouldn't the pilot have looked at it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
only one way an F-16 crashes into a building and does not get engulfed in a fireball and that if there isnt any fuel in it.
How does a plane not get fueled? I mean it seems like an important part of getting one ready to fly. Don't they have a fuel gauge of sorts and shouldn't the pilot have looked at it?
It ran out?

How long was it airborne? I doubt it just took off, did it?

Of course there is a furl gauge
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It ran out?

View Quote
Fighter jets are fully fueled as soon as they land unless they need fuel system maintenance.  You know it was full when it cranked.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Emergency Power Unit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrazine will ruin you day. What does the aircraft use the Hydrazine for?
Emergency Power Unit.

Dont you consider the JFS very similiar to an APU?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fighter jets are fully fueled as soon as they land unless they need fuel system maintenance.  You know it was full when it cranked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It ran out?

yes.

My point was how long was it airborne? Did it just take off or was it recovering from a mission?

People dont understand how quickly fighters can run out of gas. The burn rate in AB is what around 60,000 lbs per hour or more and it has 7000 lbs of gas internally?

The gas gauge is looked at all the time, constantly
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

yes.

My point was how long was it airborne? Did it just take off or was it recovering from a mission?

People dont understand how quickly fighters can run out of gas. The burn rate in AB is what around 60,000 lbs per hour or more and it has 7000 lbs of gas internally?

View Quote
My dad told me once how quickly an F4 could run dry in AB but I forget the exact time he said.  (I remember being surprised at how small the number is). Then he would chuckle and say "But you'd be a long way from where you took off".  
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dont you consider the JFS very similiar to an APU?
View Quote
The JFS in a -16 performs only some of the same functions of an APU in other aircraft.   I made no mention of it because the differences are not really relevant to the discussion of the crash and in my opinion is just unnecessary detail for the general topic.   In short summary for the benefit of others not in aviation: the JFS of the -16 is for starting the engine.  In other aircraft the APU can and is used for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#45]
It is reported that the pilot declared an emergency. It is reported that he had ordinance on board that he did not jettison.

So I think there is a good chance he had air ro air ordinance not air to ground ordinance, got very low on fuel, tried to get to high key and didnt and flamed out over the base  and punched out and the jet without the engine running and with no fuel impacted the building with the EPU running. impact causing a hydrozine leak

my best guess that fits what little we know so far.

While it does have self sealing fuel tanks I can not imagine an impact that doesnt completely rupture the tanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Only one tank of a -16 contains a bladder (with limited sealing properties). All other tanks are integral to the airframe (without bladders).   External tanks are also without bladders.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It is NAOC not NEACP.  I work closely with the mission.  
View Quote
NEACP is their old mission name.  Same jet, same primary mission, different title.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I thought it was automatic which is why they get pinned while the engine is still running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this happened on take off but it sounds like it was on landing. That explains my fuel confusion.
Says he punched out after reporting a hydraulic failure while attempting an emergency landing.
Missed that as well.

No hydraulics or no hydraulics due to no engine powering the hydraulics?  
I don't know shit about the F16. Would the emergency power not still power hydraulics?
I'm guessing it needs to make power to run the hydraulic pumps. How long from realizing you are out if fuel, to getting the hydrazine going is the question. Turning final or in the overhead, I don't know if they can make the switch that quick.
I thought it was automatic which is why they get pinned while the engine is still running.
I was always under the assumption that it is automatic.  The way I understood it things like a low voltage condition will fire the epu up and bring it online.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

yes.

View Quote
I think it was landing. We are all confused on how this happened.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like the cockpit area is still smoldering from the ejection rockets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.  There are a lot of variables.  But if the above were the case...  One would think there was plenty of potential for ignition from all the electrical wiring involved in the crash both in the building and the aircraft among many,  many other things.

You can see in the pictures in the warehouse that there was a lot of black smoke,  but one would assume that the broken water main that is dumping hundreds of gallons of water on the aircraft may have put the fire out...  And that it was not a fuel fed fire due to the fact that a fuel fed fire would only be spread by water.

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/a7ef4c21-25e1-46cf-95c0-c083afc2ec2f.png

But that is all speculation.
Looks like the cockpit area is still smoldering from the ejection rockets?
Possible.  Also possible is all the electronic equipment and wiring.  There is plenty of h/v and l/v power contained in the cockpit.  I am unsure in the f-16. But some aircraft have batteries in the nose area.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top