Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure someone here can answer that question. A lot of things on aircraft are not automatic. You don't always want things happening on their own when you're thousands of feet off the ground.
View Quote
They rely on a hydrazine powered Emergency Power Unit (EPU) for power to the flight controls and hydraulics if the engine fails. It has a limited run time depending on engine RPM. With a “simple” hydraulic failure (there are two independent systems) the EPU or engine bleed air can provide power to the flight controls.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....I can not imagine an impact that doesnt completely rupture the tanks.
View Quote
I haven't seen any pics to guess if the fuselage remained intact.  But Yeah... the lack of a large fire is surprising.    Even an empty jet still has residual fuel in it.    But on the other hand, with a lot of luck and considering after a flight the wings and externals would be empty and the remaining fuel would be in the  (slightly more protected)  fuselage tanks.... maybe there were no major ruptures at impact creating a fuel-air cloud.   Modern fuels leaking onto the ground are not as volatile as hollywood would lead one to believe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dont you consider the JFS very similiar to an APU?
View Quote
Absolutely not.

It is a starter only. It turns the ADG which spools up the motor and associated pumps, generators.

It runs for only a 3 mins or so at startup.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
JFS is just a hydraulic start system. Does nothing but spin motor up to a speed where it can be lit. Two 800cuin accumulators iirr and a manifold with two start solenoid valves and a Hyd motor on csd/ gearbox.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I love the engineers at Martin-Baker.
View Quote
These seats are ACES II not Martin Baker
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't help but think that going through a wearhouse roof was probably very similar to a stunt man doing a fall into cardboard boxes to break the fall. The type of building struck probably helped save the day, along with going in from the topside.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MFSO is safety wired open.  Could have run out of gas, T-Birds did it last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel starvation in a -16 is very low probability.  The engine will still siphon fuel with all pumps off.   It is possible to shut off fuel flow, but to do so accidentally is also very unlikely.

edit- I see you probably meant running out of fuel.   Always a possibility, but unlikely unless he had  both a fuel quantity indication discrepancy and was also not paying attention to time in flight.  Again unlikely.  Military pilots rarely run out fuel in peacetime.
MFSO is safety wired open.  Could have run out of gas, T-Birds did it last year.
That happened in 2016. It was Obama’s fault.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is reported that the pilot declared an emergency. It is reported that he had ordinance on board that he did not jettison.

So I think there is a good chance he had air ro air ordinance not air to ground ordinance, got very low on fuel, tried to get to high key and didnt and flamed out over the base  and punched out and the jet without the engine running and with no fuel impacted the building with the EPU running. impact causing a hydrozine leak

my best guess that fits what little we know so far.

While it does have self sealing fuel tanks I can not imagine an impact that doesnt completely rupture the tanks.
View Quote
Can an F-16 make it from Sioux Falls to California without refueling ?
Asking a stupid question question here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel starvation in a -16 is very low probability.  The engine will still siphon fuel with all pumps off.   It is possible to shut off fuel flow, but to do so accidentally is also very unlikely.

edit- I see you probably meant running out of fuel.   Always a possibility, but unlikely unless he had  both a fuel quantity indication discrepancy and was also not paying attention to time in flight.  Again unlikely.  Military pilots rarely run out fuel in peacetime.
I am old and years run together. O was not at fault. It was the pilot’s fault and the T-Bird the show must go on hubris lead to it running out of gas. Any other pilot would have taken the jet home and not run out of gas.

I disliked FBHO like most here but a jet running out of gas and falling out of the sky is solely the responsibility of the pilot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been out of the AF for a while, but I assume the presence of hydrazine is still an issue?  I know we had specific cordon requirements for A/C crashes involving F-16's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been out of the AF for a while, but I assume the presence of hydrazine is still an issue?  I know we had specific cordon requirements for A/C crashes involving F-16's.
View Quote
That is correct.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am old and years run together. O was not at fault. It was the pilot’s fault and the T-Bird the show must go on hubris lead to it running out of gas. Any other pilot would have taken the jet home and not run out of gas.

I disliked FBHO like most here but a jet running out of gas and falling out of the sky is solely the responsibility of the pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully agree. That was me fishing to see if you had heard the same rumor.

Were you ever at Eielson?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Of course we want to see more photos but I'm pretty sure that access to the warehouse for photographic purposes is currently HIGHLY restricted.  That warehouse is now certainly a secure area by any reasonable definition.

We'll just have to wait for authorized photographs to be made when the site is made safe enough.  Which could be a while.   Hydrazine kind of makes your skin melt and fall off and they're going to have to do something about the munitions the aircraft was carrying.

I would not have any idea what the recovery and EOD disposal protocols are for weapons on an armed aircraft that crashes through a warehouse at relatively low speeds and is thus presumed to be generally intact.

That one photo indicated a normal belly down attitude which implies that if it's carrying bombs, there's a plane on top of them.   Munitions disposal will be interesting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of course we want to see more photos but I'm pretty sure that access to the warehouse for photographic purposes is currently HIGHLY restricted.  That warehouse is now certainly a secure area by any reasonable definition.

We'll just have to wait for authorized photographs to be made when the site is made safe enough.  Which could be a while.   Hydrazine kind of makes your skin melt and fall off and they're going to have to do something about the munitions the aircraft was carrying.

I would not have any idea what the recovery and EOD disposal protocols are for weapons on an armed aircraft that crashes through a warehouse at relatively low speeds and is thus presumed to be generally intact.

That one photo indicated a normal belly down attitude which implies that if it's carrying bombs, there's a plane on top of them.   Munitions disposal will be interesting.
View Quote
This is nothing foreign to the EOD/Fuel guys. He was most assuridly not carrying bombs. If this was an Alert training mission, he most likely had two AIM-120's and two AIM-9's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is nothing foreign to the EOD/Fuel guys. He was most assuridly not carrying bombs. If this was an Alert training mission, he most likely had two AIM-120's and two AIM-9's.
View Quote
Nope

Standard loadout is 3x1 for A2A

3x120
1x9x (these days)

A “training” load would be 2x1 using CATMs and maybe an ACMI on the open missile station (sta 2 or 8)
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. I hate the cold.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
JFS is just a hydraulic start system. Does nothing but spin motor up to a speed where it can be lit. Two 800cuin accumulators iirr and a manifold with two start solenoid valves and a Hyd motor on csd/ gearbox.
View Quote
JFS stand for jet fuel starter. You are correct that the accumulator provides hydraulic power to start the JFS. But the JFS is a turbine engine (Honeywell JFS 190).
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Inside and outside videos on Ebaums
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is NAOC not NEACP.  I work closely with the mission.  
View Quote
The mission you work closely with today is called NAOC.

The plane that sat on the March AFB flight line when President Reagan was visiting his ranch was called the NEACP.

The mission and name changed in the late 80’s, after the time referenced by the post.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The mission you work closely with today is called NAOC.

The plane that sat on the March AFB flight line when President Reagan was visiting his ranch was called the NEACP.

The mission and name changed in the late 80’s, after the time referenced by the post.
View Quote
Correct.

E4B

I hate the damn thing. Just saying.  It has ruined many of my weekends and holidays over the years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
it also provides electrical power for start
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nope. I hate the cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I hate the cold.
Me too. Mother AF didn’t care about my feelings.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, the JFS turns the ADG which then turns the main and standby gen which provides juice to start the motor.

The jfs is started by the two hydraulic acummulators and the battery juice.  The accumulators recharge off the aircraft hydraulic system or your ass pumps them up by hand if it hangs.

Gawd I miss being a wrench.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since he crashed into 'SEE Water"  Thay can call him "Skipper"  Or "Splash".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the pilot get a new call sign?
Since he crashed into 'SEE Water"  Thay can call him "Skipper"  Or "Splash".  
Ancient Mariner
SS Minnow
Holy Diver
(roof) Buster
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nope, the JFS turns the ADG which then turns the main and standby gen which provides juice to start the motor.

The jfs is started by the two hydraulic acummulators and the battery juice.  The accumulators recharge off the aircraft hydraulic system or your ass pumps them up by hand if it hangs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is a -16 thread but Mach was a -15 driver.

Normal start sequence is #2 starting first
JFS->CGB->right AMAD/IDG->finger lift extends pawl/PTO shaft turns->PTO turn gearbox (which in turns spins the N2 compressor and engine accessories).

The engine supplies its own electrical power from the gearbox mounted PMG and is independent from the aircraft (exception, EDU gets power from aircraft so it can still record data if the engine dies).
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Warehouse worker says the F-16 engine was still running in the warehouse.

Area Around Warehouse F-16 Fighter Jet Crashed Into Remains Shut Down
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

JFS->CGB->right AMAD/IDG->finger lift extends pawl/PTO shaft turns->PTO turn gearbox (which in turns spins the N2 compressor and engine accessories).

The engine supplies its own electrical power from the gearbox mounted PMG and is independent from the aircraft (exception, EDU gets power from aircraft so it can still record data if the engine dies).
View Quote
I was wrong on the engine power.  I thought on start it pulled from the main until it spooled up. I stand corrected.

You obviously are more in tune than me, I have not crewed in 20 years, I am on the flight line often but my wrenching days are long gone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1i8krJQlJM
View Quote
No way, most likely it was the EPU.  Had the engine been running things would have blowing around. They weren't.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Today the ordnance from the aircraft was removed and detonated in a nearby field.

Video here:

https://abc7news.com/5306123/
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Raw: Possible ordnance on F-16 fighter jet to be detonated near Riverside County crash site | ABC7
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No way, most likely it was the EPU.  Had the engine been running things would have blowing around. They weren't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1i8krJQlJM
I agree

even at idle it would have sucked up and spit out everything in that room
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Aviation UPDATE F-16C Crash March AFB, Riverside, Ca.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was wrong on the engine power.  I thought on start it pulled from the main until it spooled up. I stand corrected.

You obviously are more in tune than me, I have not crewed in 20 years, I am on the flight line often but my wrenching days are long gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the aircraft gets power only from the battery until the engine stabilizes.  The JFS doesn't turn the generators fast enough to hit the constant speed.  I may be mistaken and the standby may supply power to the ignition system.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the aircraft gets power only from the battery until the engine stabilizes.  The JFS doesn't turn the generators fast enough to hit the constant speed.  I may be mistaken and the standby may supply power to the ignition system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the F-15 has a generator attached to the JFS to supply power during engine start. IIRC. It does not have a battery.  I dont know about the F-16
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the F-15 has a generator attached to the JFS to supply power during engine start. IIRC. It does not have a battery.  I dont know about the F-16
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool, I had no idea!  I'll have to reread my CDC book about the F15.  I was talking about the F16 though, where it has a 70lb (or so) battery in the right wheel well that kind of sucks sometimes.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Possible.  Also possible is all the electronic equipment and wiring.  There is plenty of h/v and l/v power contained in the cockpit.  I am unsure in the f-16. But some aircraft have batteries in the nose area.
View Quote
No rockets left in the cockpit once the seat and canopy are gone.  Batteries for F-16s are in the MLG wells.

Most of the crashes I have been around the jet doesn't burst into flames.  If the reports are hydraulic failure, I'd go with that.  Even with no thrust there is usually enough energy to make an emergency landing.

We had a jet at Spang that lost a MLG hydraulic line resulting in total loss of pressure.  The EPU does activate automatically on main and standby generator failure because of criticality of flight computers but that won't help if you don't have any hydraulic fluid to pump.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Video captures F-16 pilot ejecting moments before jet crashes near March Air Reserve Base | ABC7
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No rockets left in the cockpit once the seat and canopy are gone.  Batteries for F-16s are in the MLG wells.

Most of the crashes I have been around the jet doesn't burst into flames.  If the reports are hydraulic failure, I'd go with that.  Even with no thrust there is usually enough energy to make an emergency landing.

We had a jet at Spang that lost a MLG hydraulic line resulting in total loss of pressure.  The EPU does activate automatically on main and standby generator failure because of criticality of flight computers but that won't help if you don't have any hydraulic fluid to pump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possible.  Also possible is all the electronic equipment and wiring.  There is plenty of h/v and l/v power contained in the cockpit.  I am unsure in the f-16. But some aircraft have batteries in the nose area.

I understand that.  That was more of an answer to the question...  Maybe the rockets firing caused a fire in the cockpit  IIRC.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#39]
His ejection pulled the nose up and sent the plane flying off without him instead of lawn darting.  

These things happen.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

His ejection pulled the nose up and sent the plane flying off without him instead of lawn darting.  

These things happen.  
View Quote
The loss of 300lb in the nose moved the cg aft.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]
That's actually pretty good video.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

These things happen.  
View Quote
Ever heard of the Cornfield Bomber?

Wiki has an article on it.

The pilot ejected for good reason. The plane had gotten into a spin that is considered unrecoverable in an F-106.   But when he ejected, that changed the balance of the plane enough that it self-recovered from the spin.

The plane made a gentle landing in a corn field.  The plane was recovered, repaired, and returned to service.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/F-106_unmanned_landing.jpg/450px-F-106_unmanned_landing.jpg

The pilot ejected for good reason.  The plane made a gentle landing in a corn field.  The plane was recovered, repaired, and returned to service.
View Quote
I've seen it in person at the NMUSAF in Dayton, OH.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/F-106_unmanned_landing.jpg/450px-F-106_unmanned_landing.jpg

The pilot ejected for good reason. The plane had gotten into a spin that is considered unrecoverable in an F-106.   But when he ejected, that changed the balance of the plane enough that it self-recovered from the spin.

The plane made a gentle landing in a corn field.  The plane was recovered, repaired, and returned to service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These things happen.  

Oh yes.  "you'd better climb back it it!"

HAHA

What a feeling that has to be...  Get out to save yourself from certain death to see the plane flip you off and fly away.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oh yes.  "you'd better climb back it it!"

HAHA

What a feeling that has to be...  Get out to save yourself from certain death to see the plane flip you off and fly away.  
View Quote
The current USAF's default opinions are:

If aircraft was destroyed after ejection- After a kangaroo investigation panel, the pilot made the right decision to eject, and maintenance will be found at fault.

If the aircraft was recoverable & economically repairable after the ejection- After a kangaroo investigation panel, the pilot will be disciplined, but maintenance will be found at fault.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

These things happen.  
View Quote
How about the one that landed all by itself after the pilot ejected.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#48]
F-16 pilot ejects from a plane on 05/16/2019
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

JFS stand for jet fuel starter. You are correct that the accumulator provides hydraulic power to start the JFS. But the JFS is a turbine engine (Honeywell JFS 190).
View Quote
How is that different from an APU?

On F-18s, we pumped up the accumulator to start the APU, then used that to start the engines.

Or does the USAF just call them something different?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How is that different from an APU?

On F-18s, we pumped up the accumulator to start the APU, then used that to start the engines.

Or does the USAF just call them something different?
View Quote
An APU provides ground power for MX and is designed to run for extended periods. The JFS is a starter much like a car has a starter. It can dry motor the engine for short periods but nothing more. Turning the JFS at speed turns the engine.  Most APU starting systems spin up the engine via bleed air the JFS is mechanically linked to the engine via the ADG.

A JFS is really just a starter on roids.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top