Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/22/2024 9:30:41 PM EDT
Been a customer for almost 25 years. They sent over some guy that spoke no english to do a random inspection of the exterior of my home. He tried to communicate me using a translator on his phone. I called my agent and asked her what was going on. She said these inspections are normal and indeed random and there is nothing to worry about.

Well fast forward 2 months. I get a courtesy call from my agents office. It was one of her assistants. They said I would be getting a letter in the mail from corporate in the near future with a list of items that need corrected before Dec 2024 or my homeowners policy will be canceled.

I asked what are the issues? He responded:

1-Tree limbs touching the house
2 Dead bushes that are against the house
3-Our roof is in question

I said there is not a single tree limb touching the house. I will walk it right now. Sure enough I was correct. We spend 2-3k every 4 years to make sure this isnt a problem and just had the service done in September of 2023. I have not a single dead bush on my property or a single one touching the house(and who cares if it is. My house is brick construction). I trim the bushes once or twice a month and always make sure to keep them off the house so I can walk behind them if I need to. Our roof was replaced in 2008. They are lifetime shingles. The slate dog eared shingles which are very expensive. I have been on my roof. There are no torn or missing shingles. The granules are intact and in great shape and there is no staining anywhere on the roof.

Im livid. I asked them if they are sure they are talking about my house and not getting me mixed up with someone else? I spend a ton of time maintaining the exterior of our house. Its what I do when I get off work. We have the nicest and by far most expensive house in our neighborhood. I get constant compliments on how amazing the house and property look.

Fuck State Farm. Ill be shopping for insurance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTC
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the title change!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IBTC
View Quote

Fixed it
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
FSF  X2 tonight
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
wow second thread
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll be happy to know I filed a cracked windshield claim with them today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Insurance companies are brutal.

State Farm cancelled our policy on my parents farm in Maine after many years because-  "it was a farm".    I found great irony in that.   They really just lease the land to a Blueberry company and have for decades and the company was fine with that until whoever the new manager/inspector was for Maine decided it was too much of a risk.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you like Michael to call you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there"

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Find an insurance broker man

They shop all the companies.

I didn’t know this was a “thing” until a couple years back
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My best friends dad is one. He owns his own company. He is who I will be calling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotta pay for all of those commercials somehow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My best friends dad is one. He owns his own company. He is who I will be calling.
View Quote

Mine sent me a letter to correct my “ un-fenced “ swimming pool.

It was a cheap Walmart blow up pool.

Florida law requires IN GROUND pools to have a locked enclosure around them, but not above ground, since you can’t fall up into the pool.

Summer was over, so I just drained it and tossed it, but the idiot that sent that one in…
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Ill be shopping for insurance.
View Quote

That’s precisely what they want you to do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gotta pay for all of those commercials somehow.
View Quote

State Farm also lost lawsuits.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I deal with them on the roofing side as a contractor. They have clamped down to a level Ive never seen before. To the point that Im not wasting my time anymore with them if one of these customers calls with a claim and doesnt have the full amount in their hand. They lie, set a standard then change it and deny, deny, deny. So far USAA is the only one I deal with in the last year that wasnt insane.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
State Farm dropped my auto insurance 20 years ago.  I asked my agent why and she said they can randomly do that with no explanation.  I had no accidents, tickets or claims in the 15-16 years I was with them.  I'll never consider them for any insurance in the future.  FSF
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Insurance companies are getting squeezed by ballooning market values and repair costs on one side and restrictive state rate hike limits on the other, so they're finding reasons to bail on tons of people.  They may have told the guy to find a reason to ditch you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Insurance companies are getting squeezed by ballooning market values and repair costs on one side and restrictive state rate hike limits on the other, so they're finding reasons to bail on tons of people.  They may have told the guy to find a reason to ditch you.
View Quote

Why would they want to ditch a customer that doesnt report claims? Seems like they would want to keep me as I pay them a lot of money and they pay me nothing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I work with insurance companies day in day out.

I just switched to Amica from USAA. USAA never wronged me and I'm paying $30 more every six months to switch. I'm a guy who isn't price shopping I'm looking for claims experience and in my experience Amica has the best claims experience in terms of regular people companies.

Fireman's Fund is gone and Private Client types aren't for normal people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
After Hurricane Andrew
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m also displeased with SF. What’s the best way to find a good broker?  I tried one but the coverage wasn’t as good and no cheaper.  2% vs 1% current deductible on storm damage with SF
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Dad left State Farm for Allstate. The car insurance rates are higher but the house insurance rates were lower so it evened out and was cheaper than State Farm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Amen
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Down here, you are at the mercy of these companies. Despite no claims, ever, I've been dropped twice in four years.

The first time wasn't a true "drop", but they went up 400% in one year and the agent claimed that they were purposefully forcing their way out of the market.

The second time was a "decreasing exposure" letter. I live in an area that rarely gets storms, not in a flood zone, etc.

I hate it and wish that we could just self insure, because we're at over 8k/yr with insurance being 1/4 of our monthly mortgage/escrow payment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol it's gonna be funny when you find out how tight the market is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
they got to pay Patrick Mahomes and MaAuto
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Yup SF is trying to get rid of me too. Makes no sense either. 5 year old house new roof. They tried several times throughout last year trying upsell me bs add ons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol it's gonna be funny when you find out how tight the market is.
View Quote

I dont care if I have to pay more for less coverage. I wont be lied to from some corporate ass hole that hired a third world non english speaking “expert” to find fake things wrong with my house.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine just got cancelled with a month of notice.

Mass cancellation, not my fault.

Still a bunch of horseshit. The poor agent in the area is working his ass off to try to take care of everyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why would they want to ditch a customer that doesnt report claims? Seems like they would want to keep me as I pay them a lot of money and they pay me nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As time goes on the chances that you will make a claim go up.

It's really pretty crooked.  The industry is fucking itself over though, it's about to get the government's "dildo of consequences".
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like a shitty subcontractor justifying their existence.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Been a customer for almost 25 years. They sent over some guy that spoke no english to do a random inspection of the exterior of my home. He tried to communicate me using a translator on his phone. I called my agent and asked her what was going on. She said these inspections are normal and indeed random and there is nothing to worry about.

Well fast forward 2 months. I get a courtesy call from my agents office. It was one of her assistants. They said I would be getting a letter in the mail from corporate in the near future with a list of items that need corrected before Dec 2024 or my homeowners policy will be canceled.

I said there is not a single tree limb touching the house. I will walk it right now. Sure enough I was correct. We spend 2-3k every 4 years to make sure this isnt a problem and just had the service done in September of 2023. I have not a single dead bush on my property or a single one touching the house(and who cares if it is. My house is brick construction). I trim the bushes once or twice a month and always make sure to keep them off the house so I can walk behind them if I need to. Our roof was replaced in 2008. They are lifetime shingles. The slate dog eared shingles which are very expensive. I have been on my roof. There are no torn or missing shingles. The granules are intact and in great shape and there is no staining anywhere on the roof.

Im livid. I asked them if they are sure they are talking about my house and not getting me mixed up with someone else? I spend a ton of time maintaining the exterior of our house. Its what I do when I get off work. We have the nicest and by far most expensive house in our neighborhood. I get constant compliments on how amazing the house and property look.

View Quote

Georgia Farm Bureau pulled that same bullshit years ago, I cussed him out, they dropped me three days later. Found new insurance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, not sure if they do homeowners in your state, but check out Erie.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just dropped them after 30 years. No issues with homeowners but the auto got too high.  Saved $600/year on my wife's 2016 Honda Pilot.

My buddy tried getting a quote from the same broker I used, and they told him they wouldn't underwrite homeowners since the roof was more than 25 years old, based on when house was built.

I've seen letters saying homeowners need to have their roof cleaned or they would get cancelled.  Makes for good marketing for my brother's exterior cleaning biz.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like a shitty subcontractor justifying their existence.
View Quote

That's what a lot of it is. The majority of insurance companies cannot hire enough competent adjusters so they farm work to 3rd parties.

These 3rd parties justify their existence solely through cutting to show bottom line results which are reported back.

Erie is also pretty good about this. And, ironically some smaller companies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Scam Fraud victim here, too. We’ve had them for house and (now) four vehicles for 22 years.
We were notified before Christmas they are dropping us after my daughter was in a wreck, at fault, no injuries, and we filled a claim in the roof for hail damage- which they denied.

EVERY house in around is has had roofs replaced from two hail storms we had a year ago. SF said it wasn’t ‘enough’ damage for a replacement.  

I hate these thieves.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]
If you know a company by their commercials, they're a shitty insurance company
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Dropped these maggots a year or so ago when it was reported there were numerous leftist groomers in the upper mgmt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Look into Erie insurance.  I had Amfam and moved to erie a d saved about a grand and I supposedly was getting an amfam discount since I worked there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#43]
OP trims his bushes once or twice a month. You should see someone about that.

Mom had a flood last year and she is still making repairs after months of back and forth with State. I told her to start looking as I have no doubt they will drop you at renewal time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm thinking about cancelling my Home owners Ins. I have a VERY nice place and I'm sick to death ( fifty years worth) of paying for Country Club memberships and trips to Europe for my INS agent. He can fuck right off. I WILL TAKE the risk. I can afford it. Many can NOT afford it. $1Mil plus risk. It just isn't worth it anymore for us to spend the money. After 15 yers we're in to the INS company for well over $100K. Being 70 years old allows me the chance to say "fuck it" I'll take the risk like I did for the last 60 years by buying insurance. I'm well funded and was in the housing industry for thirty years. I change all the filters, call the plumbers, call the HVAC guys and hump the firewood. Risking the value of our home will not significantly reduce the value of our estate. I can replace almost anything that goes south on me. Not as quick as in the past but truly well completed tasks. It seems to me that I'm at a LOW risk for fire . Some risk for tornado and hurricane. Hail can be an issue. We're $50 K in the hole on ins. Payments on "claims"  have routinely under paid or not paid at all. It really is frustrating.

Advice? I grew up in a ditch and live in a dream home.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for Erie.  Had them for years, no claims, but also no random inspections or bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course you could have just called the underwriting dept of the insurance co. (not the agents office), told them the description was for the wrong house and ask could they send someone back to verify that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I am with OP. FSF.  My family has 2 generations of SF agents.  20 years ago they were an amazing family owned company.  The kids inherited it and it is a shit company that has an army of lawyers that they would rather pay.  They will treat you like a criminal rather than honor their contract. I will be replacing them this year as soon as my new roof goes on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#48]
USAA is trying their hardest to get me to cancel them.

"upload some pictures and we'll tell you what's covered"

How about you get a real fucking person to come out here and do the same, like you used to do?

So your pipes froze, we'll cover the plumbing repair, but not the lack of insulation. Sooo, it'll happen again?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#49]
USAA up and dropped my Umbrella policy with barely 30 days notice, no real explanation other than somehow I was too big of a risk somehow.

Still have my auto and homeowners through them but I'm thinking it may finally be time to jump ship.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#50]
So State farm lost a customer?

(How are we this far into this thread before this got posted?).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top