Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Again, this rule is not about safety. There will be absolutely NO improvement in safety WHATSOEVER due to this registration requirement. It is absolutely about control. The FAA has, for decades, not required registration of hobby aircraft. Now that the UAS craze has caught on, their idiot legal team told them if they don't start regulating hobby drones, they simply won't be able to. Problem is, Congress already REVOKED their legal authority to regulate hobby/recreational sUAS. Period. It isn't a matter of interpretation, it's a matter of LAW, which the FAA is flagrantly violating. Further, the FAA may not charge a fee (otherwise known as a tax) until and unless Congress SPECIFICALLY gives them the authority to do so (because only Congress has the power to levy taxes). Congress have NOT given them the legal authority to charge such a fee.

As for the "risk" sUAS pose, there is precisely ZERO evidence of any kind that indicates what level of damage a 9oz. drone would cause. None. at. all. Further, my analysis of the so-called sighting/incident data indicates to me that over 95% of the so-called "sightings" were not sUAS at all. I've done the work that shows manned aircraft pilots are RARELY able to see sUAS, even under tightly controlled circumstances. The AMA did a good job on assessing these so-called incidents. They gave every benefit of the doubt to the manned aircraft pilot reporting it. Their conclusion was that only 3.5% of the reports actually indicated a possible conflict and most of those did not represent an actual hazard. In my estimation, over 95% of the "sightings" were not, in fact, drones but something else. Of the remaining, it is highly unlikely that the pilots were able to accurately gauge how close whatever the object was, something that even the FAA's own report indicates manned aircraft pilots are notoriously bad at (distance between moving objects).

I have been advocating for over 5 years now that NASA and the FAA conduct ACTUAL crash testing of sUAS of varying sizes into things like aircraft wings, windscreens, props, and jet engines. I've also advocated that tests be done to look at the damage a crashing vehicle might do to car windshields, rooftops, office building windows, and instrumented crash dummies. With that ACTUAL data, not fear and superstition, credible risk assessments can be made and defensible rules created based on actual engineering and science, not emotion.

In addition, the FAA needs to be "educated" about the fallacy of using penetrating injury data from ballistics and shrapnel to estimate lethality of sUAS. Think of it this way, I can hit you with a basketball or I can hit you with a throwing knife, point first. Which of those two do you think will cause more injury even if the kinetic energy imparted to both is the same? Since the answer is obvious, why does the FAA insist on using data that is clearly not applicable? To exaggerate the risk, of course. Why would they want to do that? Because Congress told them they could pursue enforcement action against "reckless" operators. So, by using bogus data, all operators become reckless by design. Once again, it's not about SAFETY, it's about CONTROL. They want to control ALL of the airspace, even that airspace the Supreme Court has already ruled belongs to the landowner underneath, and, that the airspace <as a whole> belongs to the public, not the FAA.

View Quote

Plenty of data about what a 9oz pigeon (or other bird) does to an airplane, however...and it's not too much of a stretch to think that an RC aircraft of an identical weight with approximately the same collision speed would produce at least similar results.

Of course actual controlled testing is the best answer, but in the absence of that I still think you can make a reasonable assumption that these aircraft could cause actual (or under the wrong conditions, even catastrophic) damage. Especially larger ones with a DSLR camera strapped to them that weigh several pounds...or the weight of a red tailed hawk and other large birds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Will not comply.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Again, this rule is not about safety. There will be absolutely NO improvement in safety WHATSOEVER due to this registration requirement. It is absolutely about control. The FAA has, for decades, not required registration of hobby aircraft. Now that the UAS craze has caught on, their idiot legal team told them if they don't start regulating hobby drones, they simply won't be able to. Problem is, Congress already REVOKED their legal authority to regulate hobby/recreational sUAS. Period. It isn't a matter of interpretation, it's a matter of LAW, which the FAA is flagrantly violating. Further, the FAA may not charge a fee (otherwise known as a tax) until and unless Congress SPECIFICALLY gives them the authority to do so (because only Congress has the power to levy taxes). Congress have NOT given them the legal authority to charge such a fee.

As for the "risk" sUAS pose, there is precisely ZERO evidence of any kind that indicates what level of damage a 9oz. drone would cause. None. at. all. Further, my analysis of the so-called sighting/incident data indicates to me that over 95% of the so-called "sightings" were not sUAS at all. I've done the work that shows manned aircraft pilots are RARELY able to see sUAS, even under tightly controlled circumstances. The AMA did a good job on assessing these so-called incidents. They gave every benefit of the doubt to the manned aircraft pilot reporting it. Their conclusion was that only 3.5% of the reports actually indicated a possible conflict and most of those did not represent an actual hazard. In my estimation, over 95% of the "sightings" were not, in fact, drones but something else. Of the remaining, it is highly unlikely that the pilots were able to accurately gauge how close whatever the object was, something that even the FAA's own report indicates manned aircraft pilots are notoriously bad at (distance between moving objects).

I have been advocating for over 5 years now that NASA and the FAA conduct ACTUAL crash testing of sUAS of varying sizes into things like aircraft wings, windscreens, props, and jet engines. I've also advocated that tests be done to look at the damage a crashing vehicle might do to car windshields, rooftops, office building windows, and instrumented crash dummies. With that ACTUAL data, not fear and superstition, credible risk assessments can be made and defensible rules created based on actual engineering and science, not emotion.

In addition, the FAA needs to be "educated" about the fallacy of using penetrating injury data from ballistics and shrapnel to estimate lethality of sUAS. Think of it this way, I can hit you with a basketball or I can hit you with a throwing knife, point first. Which of those two do you think will cause more injury even if the kinetic energy imparted to both is the same? Since the answer is obvious, why does the FAA insist on using data that is clearly not applicable? To exaggerate the risk, of course. Why would they want to do that? Because Congress told them they could pursue enforcement action against "reckless" operators. So, by using bogus data, all operators become reckless by design. Once again, it's not about SAFETY, it's about CONTROL. They want to control ALL of the airspace, even that airspace the Supreme Court has already ruled belongs to the landowner underneath, and, that the airspace <as a whole> belongs to the public, not the FAA.

View Quote

Your "period" has a huge asterisk.  

And how much do you figure this destructive testing of wings, windscreens, props, and jet engines would run?  Who do you propose should pay for it?

Huge asterisk:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into
Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-
based set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis-
tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft;
and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like that's the intent here. Education and accountability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is stupid, hopefully someone will sue and make them back pedal. The money spent of making this "law" should be used on drone operator education. Keep drones low and away from airports and don't worry about it. Someone doesn't do either, make it a felony like lasers are treated.

said FAA Administrator Huerta. “Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new airspace users before they fly so they know the airspace rules and understand they are accountable to the public for flying responsibly.”

"said Attorney General Lynch.Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new gun users before they use them so they know the gun laws and are accountable to the public for gun use."

Education and accountability would work without registering everyone.

Just like with laser pointers,drop the hammer on those that get stupid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the FAA were serious about airport safety, they could use 2.4 GHz radio jammers around airport perimeters that have something like a 2500 ft range.
View Quote

Quite a few others use the 2.4ghz band. Lots of industrial cranes and stuff. There are no assigned frequencies (at least not in RC) in that band.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kinda like the VIN on the rear axle of the rental truck in the OKC Federal Building bombing......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It takes away their anonymity to a degree.  If they are flying where they shouldn't and someone manages to get the tail number, or, if their drone goes down while doing something untoward, it will be much easier to find the errant hobbyist.

Yeah... And after going through a jet engine and the ensuing fire, the number written in pencil inside the battery compartment will be clearly legible!

Kinda like the VIN on the rear axle of the rental truck in the OKC Federal Building bombing......

RC models are a helluva lot more fragile than a truck axle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"said Attorney General Lynch.Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new gun users before they use them so they know the gun laws and are accountable to the public for gun use."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is stupid, hopefully someone will sue and make them back pedal. The money spent of making this "law" should be used on drone operator education. Keep drones low and away from airports and don't worry about it. Someone doesn't do either, make it a felony like lasers are treated.

said FAA Administrator Huerta. “Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new airspace users before they fly so they know the airspace rules and understand they are accountable to the public for flying responsibly.”

Tend to agree
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Plenty of data about what a 9oz pigeon (or other bird) does to an airplane, however...and it's not too much of a stretch to think that an RC aircraft of an identical weight with approximately the same collision speed would produce at least similar results.

Of course actual controlled testing is the best answer, but in the absence of that I still think you can make a reasonable assumption that these aircraft could cause actual (or under the wrong conditions, even catastrophic) damage. Especially larger ones with a DSLR camera strapped to them that weigh several pounds...or the weight of a red tailed hawk and other large birds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Rolls Royce will supply an engine, I will supply a DJI as long as I get to fly it into the engine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And how much do you figure this destructive testing of wings, windscreens, props, and jet engines would run?  Who do you propose should pay for it?
View Quote

We're (Tax payers) paying something like $327 million for this registration scheme.  That's the part that will NOT be funded by the registration fees.  And that's provided that everything goes according to plan.  How often does that happen?

I agree actual destructive testing would be a good thing.  This is SO CLEARLY a power grab by the FAA.  It's all the rage in Washington these days.  All of the alphabet guys are doing it.  Is there a risk?  Yes.  Is it anywhere near as big as the FAA/media makes it out to be?  No way.  Will the registration scheme contribute anything to safety?  Nope.

Waste money.  Accomplish nothing.  Go Uncle Sam!

-J
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We're (Tax payers) paying something like $327 million for this registration scheme.  That's the part that will NOT be funded by the registration fees.  And that's provided that everything goes according to plan.  How often does that happen?

I agree actual destructive testing would be a good thing.  This is SO CLEARLY a power grab by the FAA.  It's all the rage in Washington these days.  All of the alphabet guys are doing it.  Is there a risk?  Yes.  Is it anywhere near as big as the FAA/media makes it out to be?  No way.  Will the registration scheme contribute anything to safety?  Nope.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

Where'd you get that number from?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

From the FAA:

In evaluating the impact of this interim final rule, we compare the costs and benefits of the IFR to a baseline consistent with existing practices: for modelers, the exercise of discretion by FAA (not requiring registration) and continued broad public outreach and educational campaign, and for non-modelers, registration via part 47 in the paper-based system. Given the time to register aircraft under the paper-based system and the projected number of sUAS aircraft, the FAA estimates the cost to the government and non-modelers would be about $383 million. The resulting cost savings to society from this IFR equals the cost of this baseline policy ($383 million) minus the cost of this IFR ($56 million), or about $327 million ($259 million in present value at a 7 percent discount rate). These cost savings are the net quantified benefits of this IFR.

What this is saying (I think) is that to register every sUAS using the existing paper system would cost $383 million.  But using the new system it would only cost $327 million.  So it is a "savings" to the public.  Except that not registering is free.

-J
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Like so may other things, the people who enjoy the RC hobby responsibly, will now pay for all the idiots who can't seem to apply any common sense to life.  With all the people who felt the need to operate these things in places they shouldn't have, this was bound to happen.

And from my real airplane pilot point of view, I don't want to hit anything with my airplane, no matter what it weighs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are they going to trace a particular drone to its owner without registration in order to hold them responsible?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From the FAA:

What this is saying (I think) is that to register every sUAS using the existing paper system would cost $383 million.  But using the new system it would only cost $327 million.  So it is a "savings" to the public.  Except that not registering is free.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

From the FAA:

In evaluating the impact of this interim final rule, we compare the costs and benefits of the IFR to a baseline consistent with existing practices: for modelers, the exercise of discretion by FAA (not requiring registration) and continued broad public outreach and educational campaign, and for non-modelers, registration via part 47 in the paper-based system. Given the time to register aircraft under the paper-based system and the projected number of sUAS aircraft, the FAA estimates the cost to the government and non-modelers would be about $383 million. The resulting cost savings to society from this IFR equals the cost of this baseline policy ($383 million) minus the cost of this IFR ($56 million), or about $327 million ($259 million in present value at a 7 percent discount rate). These cost savings are the net quantified benefits of this IFR.

-J

Looks to me they are saying "Well we already wasted $56 million on this study and paper, and we are gonna need another $327 million to implement this."

I agree had they done nothing (including the waste of $56 million) that would be a savings to the public.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I want all bicyclists registered because they might wander onto a highway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want all bicyclists registered because they might wander onto a highway.
View Quote

Lobby your local politicians.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How are they going to trace a particular drone to its owner without registration in order to hold them responsible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same way they trace laser pointers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View the remote control channel back to its source?

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Special glasses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hilarious.

The R/C flyers can cripple the system in a week.  There are only so many Tail Numbers...

An N-Number can be in any of these formats
One to five numbers (N12345)
One to four numbers followed by one letter (N1234Z)
One to three numbers followed by two letters (N123AZ)
N-Numbers do not have
A zero (0) as the first number
The letters "I" or "O"

Register everything you have.  Now.

View Quote

Dibs on N7242C
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dibs on N7242C
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilarious.

The R/C flyers can cripple the system in a week.  There are only so many Tail Numbers...

An N-Number can be in any of these formats
One to five numbers (N12345)
One to four numbers followed by one letter (N1234Z)
One to three numbers followed by two letters (N123AZ)
N-Numbers do not have
A zero (0) as the first number
The letters "I" or "O"

Register everything you have.  Now.

Dibs on N7242C

I doubt that these toys get N numbers.  This is an asinine rule and it needs to be fought.   While you can still comment to the FAA on it (see the document for methods), they really do not care.   They want this so they will ignore a billion comments opposing it.

Contacting your congressdude may work.  People will need to read and understand the document and come up with a series of valid reasons why it will do nothing to address safety concerns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you would clear the spittle off your monitor you'd be able to read above where I said it wouldn't.  But at least you accept that there is a risk so we are getting somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do the new regulations affecting hundreds of thousands of law-abiding people do anything to manage this minuscule risk?

If you would clear the spittle off your monitor you'd be able to read above where I said it wouldn't.  But at least you accept that there is a risk so we are getting somewhere.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're a pilot of some kind.

Where I'm confused is that you state that this whole registration scheme will be ineffective against a risk that you admit that, while real, is relatively minor? Registration that is largely unenforceable, and is useful only if an air to air incident occurs, if the RC/ drone/ whatever you care to call it is recovered, and if it is marked.

I mean, when you advocate turning potentially hundreds of thousands of Americans into felons, based on a scheme that you yourself admit will have no bearing on the relatively slight problem at hand, while failing to see the parallels to gun registration, which, similarly, are only useful post-incident, only useful if the gun is recovered, and only useful if marked.

Do you see why some people consider your stance to be obtuse?

Now, I'm not entirely ignorant of the dangers of FOD to turbine engines, or skin-on-skin contact between aircraft in flight, but when you straight out stated that this will do nothing to remove, mitigate, or otherwise alleviate the problem, and will cost a minimum of $56m (which I'm sure we can all agree will likely climb much, much higher), my natural inclination is to ask, "WHY BOTHER?"
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

9oz pigeons and 2 lb Hawks generally don't have hardened steel motor shafts, or stainless steel nuts and screws in their bodies.

But their ought to be some destructive testing of jet engines to see and show what would happen if they ingested a 450mm sized multicopter.  Would it do catastrophic damage to an engine?  
It's probably not good, or airlines and the military wouldn't be concerned about FOD.

This was all brought on by irresponsible RFT quad owners, like from DJI Phantom.   Most had no prior interest in model aviation, and probably full scale either.  They had no regard for airways safety, flying over congested areas, around places that water bombers and medevac helos were trying to operate in.  None of the rules of the air applied to these people, and they lack common sense.
So now we have the heavy and ham fisted approach by a bloated and overbearing government to come to the help of the big money (airlines and pilots unions), U.S. security chicken littles.
Maybe they are too dumb to see at the FAA, but the only "drone" the jihadis will need to use is some idiot teenager or young adult, and convince them to put on a vest with 50 lbs of Semtex and ball bearings, not the one or maybe two pounds a quadcopter could carry.  And the human drone will walk right up to whatever security chokepoint (not a checkpoint) at a sporting event or even a big airport, then blow themselves and a bunch of others before the even get to the metal detectors.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll wait for the no knock warrant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where I'm confused is that you state that this whole registration scheme will be ineffective against a risk that you admit that, while real, is relatively minor? Registration that is largely unenforceable, and is useful only if an air to air incident occurs, if the RC/ drone/ whatever you care to call it is recovered, and if it is marked.

I mean, when you advocate turning potentially hundreds of thousands of Americans into felons, based on a scheme that you yourself admit will have no bearing on the relatively slight problem at hand, while failing to see the parallels to gun registration, which, similarly, are only useful post-incident, only useful if the gun is recovered, and only useful if marked.

Now, I'm not entirely ignorant of the dangers of FOD to turbine engines, or skin-on-skin contact between aircraft in flight, but when you straight out stated that this will do nothing to remove, mitigate, or otherwise alleviate the problem, and will cost a minimum of $56m (which I'm sure we can all agree will likely climb much, much higher), my natural inclination is to ask, "WHY BOTHER?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do the new regulations affecting hundreds of thousands of law-abiding people do anything to manage this minuscule risk?

For the love of God I'm not in favor of this scheme.  You sure write rather well for someone with trouble reading.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Land of the free?

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can ignore all the rules/laws/regulations/etc you want.

What you can't ignore are the consequences if you get caught.

Every law on the books is one more you can get nailed with.Maybe not today.Maybe not tomorrow.But someday they just might decide to crack down,or you are just an unlucky one that gets caught.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, and blister pack radios require a GMRS license. L O fucking L.

No shit. I foresee massive non-compliance by those who either don't know or just don't care. It's basically unenforceable anyway.

Anytime the gov't enacts rules, regs, or laws that are completely unenforceable, thinking they're enhancing control over the citizenry, they don't realize that more and more people just say, "fuck it, I'll do what I want".

Shit, national gun registration in Canada got, what, less than 20% compliance? CT's "assault weapons" registration scheme got about 14% according to Forbes. I'd be amazed if drones get even half that.

You can ignore all the rules/laws/regulations/etc you want.

What you can't ignore are the consequences if you get caught.

Every law on the books is one more you can get nailed with.Maybe not today.Maybe not tomorrow.But someday they just might decide to crack down,or you are just an unlucky one that gets caught.

While you're not at all wrong, who's going to enforce it?

If state, local, county, and other municipal agency's aren't so empowered to enforce federal law, and the FAA lacks any kind of enforcement apparatus, to reiterate, who's going to enforce it? The FBI? Pretty sure they have bigger fish to fry. Are we going to create a new enforcement arm within the FAA? I kinda doubt it.

This isn't like shooting an unregistered machine gun in your backyard, where there are often state or local laws involved that allow LLEOs to get involved.

Although I repeat myself, this has zero chance of being enforced, in any way, shape, or form. There are so many laws on the books that basically anything you do is illegal, at this point. To the degree that unless you're doing something particularly harmful, offensive, or otherwise egregious, it's unlikely that anyone in law enforcement knows it's even illegal, unless they spend all day pouring over statutes. Which I rather doubt.

At a certain point, the average citizen throws up his hands and says, "fuck it!" The average police officer, deputy, state trooper, etc, does the same. Unless you're going out of your way to be a douchebag, they aren't going to go out of their way looking for things to charge you with.

That's been my experience and my opinion. YMMV. I guarantee I'm probably violating some obscure law right now, even if I don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

For the love of God I'm not in favor of this scheme.  You sure write rather well for someone with trouble reading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of posters in this thread seem to have the impression that you are in favor of it, despite your protestations. Maybe you should reread your own posts, recognize the echoes of anti-gun, statist arguments in them, and maybe you'll find a clue as to why.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A lot of posters in this thread seem to have the impression that you are in favor of it, despite your protestations. Maybe you should reread your own posts, recognize the echoes of anti-gun, statist arguments in them, and maybe you'll find a clue as to why.
View Quote

An alternate theory is a lot of posters are hysterical and being emotionally driven.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#30]
AMA just sent an e-mail to all members..

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.  

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations.  Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe you should learn how to interpret clear writing, as nothing he wrote suggests he's in favor of it.

The critical thinking skills of the average poster on this site are somewhere below the average kindergarten dropout.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Special glasses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Special glasses.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.  

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations.  Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council

I disagree with their assessment that the FAA is expanding its definition of "aircraft".

Let's look at 49 USC 40102:
(6) “aircraft” means any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.

And just to see if it's horribly different FAR 1.1:
Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

Now on aircraft they have the statutory authority to:
(2) The Administrator shall prescribe air traffic regulations on the flight of aircraft (including regulations on safe altitudes) for—
(A) navigating, protecting, and identifying aircraft;
(B) protecting individuals and property on the ground;
(C) using the navigable airspace efficiently; and
(D) preventing collision between aircraft, between aircraft and land or water vehicles, and between aircraft and airborne objects.

I think they have overstepped their bounds and should have put an exception in the rule for folks operating in accordance with AMA (or whatever similar other community groups there may be) to be in compliance with Section 336, but to say that this is a new expansion is disingenuous.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]
On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.
View Quote

Oh yeah. Just play along with our faux fight then register anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

Having their AMA number on the aircraft (already a requirement of the AMA) seems to fit the intent.  There's no reason that couldn't be accepted as an alternate method of compliance.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The problem isn't drones, it is the growing number of people being able to fly RC vehicles.  How many RC airplanes and helicopters do you think there were in the US before drones?  This year alone they are expecting 1.6 million drones to be sold, the numbers are increasing 300% to 500% every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are blaming government when its the actions of retarded drone pilots that have led to this

The "Drone Pilots" sure had a hand in it.

I used to fly Airplanes and Helicopters and none of this became an issue until recently.

The problem isn't drones, it is the growing number of people being able to fly RC vehicles.  How many RC airplanes and helicopters do you think there were in the US before drones?  This year alone they are expecting 1.6 million drones to be sold, the numbers are increasing 300% to 500% every year.

its LiPos' fault...  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I disagree with their assessment that the FAA is expanding its definition of "aircraft".

I think they have overstepped their bounds and should have put an exception in the rule for folks operating in accordance with AMA (or whatever similar other community groups there may be) to be in compliance with Section 336, but to say that this is a new expansion is disingenuous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(6) "aircraft” means any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.

Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

(2) The Administrator shall prescribe air traffic regulations on the flight of aircraft (including regulations on safe altitudes) for—

(A) navigating, protecting, and identifying aircraft;

(B) protecting individuals and property on the ground;

(C) using the navigable airspace efficiently; and

(D) preventing collision between aircraft, between aircraft and land or water vehicles, and between aircraft and airborne objects.

By those definitions, bullets are aircraft and subject to FAA regulation.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you put your name and address on the drone, instead of in a registration database, they would be able to trace the owner a lot faster than having to first enter a number into a computer to pull up the same name and address.

And in the event thee drone gets sucked into a jet engine and destroyed along with all traces of the name and address, a registration number would certainly be destroyed as well. Either way, you have no way of tracing the owner.

Which one makes more sense and costs taxpayers less?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies. I was drunk.

ETA: Re-read your posts. I had you wrong. Sorry again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#40]
This is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quite a few others use the 2.4ghz band. Lots of industrial cranes and stuff. There are no assigned frequencies (at least not in RC) in that band.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the FAA were serious about airport safety, they could use 2.4 GHz radio jammers around airport perimeters that have something like a 2500 ft range.

WiFi access points too.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#42]
this is just like firearm registration/laws.  a few irresponsible folks drive the law and policy for the majority? fuck the feds.  as for you pilots, life is risky.  deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#43]
fffffffellony!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you put your name and address on the drone, instead of in a registration database, they would be able to trace the owner a lot faster than having to first enter a number into a computer to pull up the same name and address.

And in the event thee drone gets sucked into a jet engine and destroyed along with all traces of the name and address, a registration number would certainly be destroyed as well. Either way, you have no way of tracing the owner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What penalties are in place if they don't put their name and address on the drone under your suggestion?

Quoted:
...... as for you pilots, life is risky.  deal with it.

That's one of the most retarded things I keep seeing posted here
There are some people here who seem to think that nothing should ever ben done to take steps to minimize dangers and issues on any topic
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What penalties are in place if they don't put their name and address on the drone under your suggestion?

There are some people here who seem to think that nothing should ever ben done to take steps to minimize dangers and issues on any topic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mitigate your own risks. Don't limit what others are allowed to do based on what you choose to do.

Life's hard, get a helmet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mitigate your own risks. Don't limit what others are allowed to do based on what you choose to do.

View Quote

I'm going to go outside and shoot a bunch of rounds off into the air.  Don't like it, mitigate your own risks perhaps a get a helmet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm going to go outside and shoot a bunch of rounds off into the air.  Don't like it, mitigate your own risks perhaps a get a helmet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, let's microstamp your bullets and register you with the ATF, so if one of those bullets you send up in the air hits someone, we can trace it back to you.  It'll promote a culture of accountability.

-J
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So, let's microstamp your bullets and register you with the ATF, so if one of those bullets you send up in the air hits someone, we can trace it back to you.  It'll promote a culture of accountability.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

Again, I don't support this plan.  But wag's comment was laughably stupid on many levels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time I'm at work, I'll mention that to the 140 people sitting behind me.  I doubt they would share your opinion.

If people had acted responsibly with their "toys" we wouldn't be here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Having their AMA number on the aircraft (already a requirement of the AMA) seems to fit the intent.  There's no reason that couldn't be accepted as an alternate method of compliance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes too much sense, which must be the actual reason the FAA declined that option.

Their stated reason was that they couldn't guarantee the database of the AMA wouldn't have errors or duplicate numbers. As if various government agency databases are all that accurate.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top