BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It makes too much sense, which must be the actual reason the FAA declined that option.

Their stated reason was that they couldn't guarantee the database of the AMA wouldn't have errors or duplicate numbers. As if various government agency databases are all that accurate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I would trust the currency of the AMA database long before I would this FAA one.  Who is going to update their address with the FAA for their toys?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Next time I'm at work, I'll mention that to the 140 people sitting behind me.  I doubt they would share your opinion.

If people had acted responsibly with their "toys" we wouldn't be here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put your name and address on the drone, instead of in a registration database, they would be able to trace the owner a lot faster than having to first enter a number into a computer to pull up the same name and address.

And in the event thee drone gets sucked into a jet engine and destroyed along with all traces of the name and address, a registration number would certainly be destroyed as well. Either way, you have no way of tracing the owner.

Which one makes more sense and costs taxpayers less?

What penalties are in place if they don't put their name and address on the drone under your suggestion?

Quoted:
...... as for you pilots, life is risky.  deal with it.

That's one of the most retarded things I keep seeing posted here
There are some people here who seem to think that nothing should ever ben done to take steps to minimize dangers and issues on any topic

Mitigate your own risks. Don't limit what others are allowed to do based on what you choose to do.

Life's hard, get a helmet.

Next time I'm at work, I'll mention that to the 140 people sitting behind me.  I doubt they would share your opinion.

If people had acted responsibly with their "toys" we wouldn't be here.

And that's the same issue we deal with fighting gun control!!

How many of these RC things are out there?

What is the percentage of people that use them responsibly vs the amount of people that don't?

I don't own any RC stuff,but am vehemently against any kind of registration.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mitigate your own risks. Don't limit what others are allowed to do based on what you choose to do.

View Quote

So a pilot of a commercial aircraft with dozens or more passengers should just "mitigate hos own risks" when dealing with this sort of problem?
Why?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What is the percentage of people that use them responsibly vs the amount of people that don't?

View Quote

I wasn't aware that flying RC drones was  a Constitutional right.
Maybe that was one of those amendments that never got approved when they passed the first 10
So. I guess NOT the same after all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe that was one of those amendments that never got approved when they passed the first 10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Truthfully the FAA and FCC should have been amendments to give the feds the authority to legislate these areas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Truthfully the FAA and FCC should have been amendments to give the feds the authority to legislate these areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Control of airspace and radio waves is definitely a government prerogative.  Maybe should have been a state-level power instead of fed, but then you have ICC and bleh.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Control of airspace and radio waves is definitely a government prerogative.  Maybe should have been a state-level power instead of fed, but then you have ICC and bleh.
View Quote

I think the federal government is the right level for those two activities, but I don't like simply using the interstate commerce clause as the authority for almost everything.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how is the 2nd working out in NY?

Do you think that any freedom not spelled out in the Constitution is open to having the gov regulate the shit out of it?

For "safety" or "the children"?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Again, I don't support this plan.  But wag's comment was laughably stupid on many levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to go outside and shoot a bunch of rounds off into the air.  Don't like it, mitigate your own risks perhaps a get a helmet.

So, let's microstamp your bullets and register you with the ATF, so if one of those bullets you send up in the air hits someone, we can trace it back to you.  It'll promote a culture of accountability.

-J

Again, I don't support this plan.  But wag's comment was laughably stupid on many levels.

No it wasnt. Your argument implies people should be prohibited from doing something that has a small chance of doing harm to others. I believe people should what ever the fuck they want and IF it harms someone else, then they pay the price.
DUI laws are the best example. Drink 3 beers and make it home safe? Cool. No punishment. Drink three beers, and cause an accident? License permanantly revoked.
You belive my behavior should be limited due to the possibility of something happening.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No it wasnt. Your argument implies people should be prohibited from doing something that has a small chance of doing harm to others. I believe people should what ever the fuck they want and IF it harms someone else, then they pay the price.
DUI laws are the best example. Drink 3 beers and make it home safe? Cool. No punishment. Drink three beers, and cause an accident? License permanantly revoked.
You belive my behavior should be limited due to the possibility of something happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to go outside and shoot a bunch of rounds off into the air.  Don't like it, mitigate your own risks perhaps a get a helmet.

So, let's microstamp your bullets and register you with the ATF, so if one of those bullets you send up in the air hits someone, we can trace it back to you.  It'll promote a culture of accountability.

-J

And your behavior should be limited because someone else did something
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like I said, laughable.  I started reading this and was going to bring up DUI as an example of how this extrapolated poorly then you went feet first in.  

How would you "manage your own risk" from those drunks in this construct?  Furthermore, why in your libertarian utopia would you even need a license to suspend?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. If you do that in any jurisdiction in this country, you would be subject to prosecution for reckless use of a weapon or some similar law, and maybe something even more severe. See how that works, you know, punishing the offender and holding THEM responsible, rather than requiring every possessor of an item (guns, RC aircraft, etc.) to register and be entered in a database which can be used for some nefarious purpose in the future, unrelated to any illegal activity by the registrant?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol. If you do that in any jurisdiction in this country, you would be subject to prosecution for reckless use of a weapon or some similar law, and maybe something even more severe. See how that works, you know, punishing the offender and holding THEM responsible, rather than requiring every possessor of an item (guns, RC aircraft, etc.) to register and be entered in a database which can be used for some nefarious purpose in the future, unrelated to any illegal activity by the registrant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a specific reply to wag-bag's ridiculous position.

And I've stated several times that these UAV operators should be nailed to the cross.  Youtube is full of probable cause statements.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Like I said, laughable.  I started reading this and was going to bring up DUI as an example of how this extrapolated poorly then you went feet first in.  

How would you "manage your own risk" from those drunks in this construct?  Furthermore, why in your libertarian utopia would you even need a license to suspend?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell you what. You go your way and I'll go mine. Have a nice holiday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't leave us hanging like this.  How would you manage your own risk of legal drunk drivers all over the road?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Off to register a bulk pack of these.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you think that any freedom not spelled out in the Constitution is open to having the gov regulate the shit out of it?

View Quote

I would substitute 'activity" for your use of "freedom".
If you're going to engage in some activity of one sort or another the odds are strong that gov't has some rules or regulations on the issue
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public.  In an email message, the FAA stated”Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address.  When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public.  In an email message, the FAA stated”Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address.  When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

FTFAA
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

....like every pilot in the database.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

FCC records are also searchable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....and every amateur radio operator.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3177643
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I don't have an amateur radio license plate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had a call plate I would probably get a PO box.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reason I never got one, even when Georgia issued them for free.  Saving $20/yr on license plates wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always surprises me when I see people, especially on this site, sharing their callsigns online.  License plates are just as bad.  But it's been that way for years and you don't hear about people using it as an attack vector.

If I end up registering I will write my number in a small font on the inside of my model, and be sure to keep it out of any photos I post online.

-J
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Always surprises me when I see people, especially on this site, sharing their callsigns online.  License plates are just as bad.  But it's been that way for years and you don't hear about people using it as an attack vector.

If I end up registering I will write my number in a small font on the inside of my model, and be sure to keep it out of any photos I post online.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

Some people do not worry about hiding behind a keyboard.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you're going to engage in some activity of one sort or another the odds are strong that gov't has some rules or regulations on the issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep forgetting that this isn't a free country (although I have a lot more options where I am sitting compared to you).
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some people do not worry about hiding behind a keyboard.
View Quote

Some people just practice good persec.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Is that an electric paper airplane? Looks cool.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Registration Proponents...how do you square the corners on Ultralight aircraft?

- Ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.
- Operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements or to have airman or medical certificates.
- Ultralight vehicles are not required to be registered or to have registration markings.

Part 103 of the FAA Regulations exempt all aircraft under 254 lbs (commonly called Ultralight aircraft) from registration...or even the need for a pilot's license!
Which posses a greater risk to public safety?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

well that answers that.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Registration Proponents...how do you square the corners on Ultralight aircraft?

- Ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.
- Operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements or to have airman or medical certificates.
- Ultralight vehicles are not required to be registered or to have registration markings.

Part 103 of the FAA Regulations exempt all aircraft under 254 lbs (commonly called Ultralight aircraft) from registration...or even the need for a pilot's license!
Which posses a greater risk to public safety?
View Quote

Someone flying an ultralight probably has a minimal grasp of aviation rules and principals. If they dont gravity and inertia usualy weed them out pretty quick.
When I was in ground school we had a guy decide he wanted to be an auto-gyro pilot.   He lasted a few minutes.
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001211X10309&key=1&queryId=e9388218-270f-4e5c-b04b-9f1ce7744881&pgno=2&pgsize=100

A 4 year old can fly a DJI.

Not saying you can not do damage with an ultralight (the guy above trashed a hanger) but you are a lot more cautious when your life is on the line.
Wth a toy your give-a-shit is only based on the cost to fix it if you crash.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My kid's getting a quad for Christmas, it's his and he'll be the owner. So my 13 y.o. will have his information publicly searchable on their database? Nice. I've worked too hard to keep my kids anonymous on the internet and protect their identity, and I'm not about to give it out to the public for some pedo to look for. I guess in this case, the lesser of two evils is to let him be a felon. He won't be registering, nor will I. It's for the children. Isn't that the buzzword that they like to say when passing laws? Well, in this case, it's NOT for the children. So back at them with that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I keep forgetting that this isn't a free country (although I have a lot more options where I am sitting compared to you).
View Quote

It sounds to me as if your definition of  freedom is more along the lines of anarchy
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It sounds to me as if your definition of  freedom is more along the lines of anarchy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure as a NY Statist it does.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about having an original thought for once?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did-that's why I left NY.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I did-that's why I left NY.
View Quote

Well good for you
I will too someday, which irritates me immensely because this state has so many good things about it but its politicians have ruined all of that
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What a giant heaping pile of horseshit.
View Quote

This.

You left out "steaming".

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say the 10th covers it

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck 'em, I'm out.

I am letting my AMA membership lapse, and my local clubs won't have you if you are not an AMA member.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Didn't you know protesting the government is patriotic?  Why do you hate freedom and patriotism?

View Quote

It's only patriotic when Nancy Pelosi advocates for it, and when performed by Democrats.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think this is a good move.  These things are dangerous and intrusive.  I support increased restrictions to include height and distance limits from operators, prohibitions on recording equipment unless for approved commercial flights, and law enforcement kill switches.  

These things are far too common now.  Very dangerous, plus the buzzing noise is annoying.  

They aren't protected by the constitution either, so no real obstacles to enacting some common sense restrictions and regulations.

Trump 2016
View Quote

Are you okay with restrictions on Internet usage, and banning "subversive or counter-revolutionary websites"?  Are you okay with restrictions on the media, since they cause far more damage and loss of life than some piddly RC plane.  Better register your camera too, since they can be abused.  Phones should have restrictions on them too, since criminals use them.  See the point?

BTW, none of them were around when the Constitution was enacted, just like RC planes, so the Constitution shouldn't apply to them either.  See how retarded your stance can look when taken to a logical extreme?

For the record, I don't own any of those evil baby-killing, regime threatening devices of mass destruction that we need another bunch of regulations over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#45]
A No fly Zone map for R/C Aircraft.

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't be accurate. If I live in a no fly zone then why does my quad let me fly?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:45:41 AM EDT
[#47]
lol...how about no?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meanwhile....this is what the airspace looks like for all the other operators of aircraft:

Pretty much every line/dash/magenta bubble is indicating some level and/or type of controlled or restricted airspace. ETA: For reference, the large red circle is over DC and the large metro area northeast of that (underneath "Enroute L-34") is Philly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Skynet is not yet self aware
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top