Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since they are their own government, does that mean they've been exempt from local taxes since 1967?

That's 38 square miles of the most expensive real estate in Florida.
View Quote

Not even close. The area west of Orlando isn't more expensive than the Keys, Fishers Island, West Palm, South Tampa, Boca Grand, etc,etc. Partly because of how drastically different those areas are from the Orlando shit show.
If you factor in the environmental costs, congestion, and infrastructure costs, Disney and tourism in general are net loss to Florida.
Tourism generates less than half the total revenue agriculture does.

The land around Disney would be exponentially more valuable if those degenerates packed up and left.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
World needs to join Land in California, where they’re ideals are one in the same. Sorry Cali guys, last thing y’all need is more woke fucks but it’s the truth.

If this happens, everything about that place needs to audited. Incident/safety/crime reports. Systems maintenance. Finances. I bet there’s a whole lot hidden under Minnies dress.

As for DeSantis, I’d like to see a another year of Trump at the helm with DeSantis as his VP. Heads would explode and their cries would be heard on Jupiter. Then two terms with DeSantis.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bullshit yourself.

It was swamp and oranges before Disney started buying it. Sure, it's expanded over time, but it would have still been trash if they hadn't gotten it started.

View Quote

I've known a guy for many years who owns orange groves. His helicopter is nicer than anything I've seen flying out of Disney.
Don't see the world through assumptions and stereotypes, unless you like being wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It wouldn't have been if Disney hadn't moved there.

View Quote

Oh yes it certainly would have been.
Disney isn't Orlando, and Orlando isn't Disney.
The closer you get to Disney, the more people you find that despise the place.
There would be a huge good riddance party all across Florida if Disney pulled up stakes and liquidated, the real estate would be bought up and brought up to code and be developed.

Disney has been 'woke' way longer than that dying rapper's buddy trying to keep him alive after he got shot by a competitor.
BTW, that is where the 'woke' buzzword originated.

" Stay woke bro "
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I would hate to loose DeSantis,  but maybe DT can fill in as governor while he's gone
Make FL Great again
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm just about at the point I'd vote for DeSantis over Trump.
View Quote

I've been there.

Every time i watch a Desantis press conference i become more impressed. We get a solid conservative that can speak without the hyperbolic BS.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think DeSantis would be any more immune to deep state and GOP sabotage than Trump. The only thing he has going for him is being more ready for it after seeing what they did to Trump. Then again, Trump knows went wrong the first time and would know what he's up against now, and has the motive of revenge. Both are good picks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm definitely there. Trump is so full of himself he could never shut up even if it was better for all of us in the end. I'll vote for either in the end.
View Quote

Biden is full of air. Trump actually gets things done. No Brag, Just Fact.

Desantis is headed in a good direction though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A Governor is much more powerful than a Senator or Congressman. Especially in a larger state like Florida.

That would be a large step down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DeSantos is a real politician. We need him as Speaker of the House.

A Governor is much more powerful than a Senator or Congressman. Especially in a larger state like Florida.

That would be a large step down.

He's a lot more powerful in Florida, and no doubt Florida is a huge state.

But to have DeSantis as the Speaker of the House for  15-20 years would have a far bigger impact than Governor or President for 4-8 years.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I always wondered how schools had police departments etc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I love Desantis, will vote for him again for Governor and if he runs for President. But I don't know how I feel about this.

When municipalities have told pushy .gov agencies up the line that they won't enforce X mandate or ruling and thus created firearm sanctuaries I was happy. To force Disney to comply, especially if there's a law allowing for their own self governance, seems like that could backfire in the future.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
If you guys want to go down a rabbit hole read up on the reedy creek improvement district. Disney has an employee village. They select trusted employees to live there. Those employees vote for the district government. There's also limits on how long an outsider can stay at a Disney hotel so you can't claim residency in the district.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-cities-20150522-story.html

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

is desantis having to deal with a hostile bureaucracy and a political party that wants him to fail to the point that they'll sabotage themselves?
View Quote

This is the thing people seem to fail at understanding.

Does anybody really believe that it will be all sunshine & unicorns, glad-handing and backslapping if DeSantis announces his intention to seek the presidential nomination?

His biggest obstacle will be his own party.

Trump overcame that because he blindsided the establishment and because he's Trump.

Can DeSantis pull that off?

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
We just need him to do SOMETHING about improving our gun rights. Insane that we still don't have constitutional carry and we still have bans on binary triggers and such.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Do the FL Republicans actually have the power/votes to make it happen if they wanted?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
It wouldn't be there without the CIA, they probably better get permission to meddle with the kid fuckers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We just need him to do SOMETHING about improving our gun rights. Insane that we still don't have constitutional carry and we still have bans on binary triggers and such.
View Quote

That would, IMO, make him the perfect leader.  He's demanding Constitional Carry reach his desk, so we know he'll sign.  Overall he's the best I've seen in my adult life, but I agree, FL needs some unfucking in the gun laws dept.  Still not bad overall compared to other states, but still.

I'm happy with my governor.  He's not superman and like us, is of limited faculties.  He needs to rest, spend time with this family, etc. too.   For what he's done so far he's been great.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do the FL Republicans actually have the power/votes to make it happen if they wanted?
View Quote
Sure, they just don't, like with open carry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Good. The Disney groomers need a shot across their bows.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#20]
He truly has them by the balls.

What are they gonna do, move 25,000 acre Walt Disney world to Manhattan?

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was there a long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]

I wouldn't mind having Trump or Desantis as President. I do think Trump would clean house the 2nd go round. Round 1 was a hell of a learning experience.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

should be well past.  Trump was what we needed then, DeSantis is what we need now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

should be well past.  Trump was what we needed then, DeSantis is what we need now.

Keep DeSantis in Florida, let Trump have his 2nd term and then DeSantis in 2028.

We need solid Republican governors leading the way even more than in the White House.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Vote real hard!
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Put the pressure on them.
What are they going to do?
Pack up and move.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Do it
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter what Disney built, only what it's worth now.

They probably bought that property up at less than $500 acre. Probably worth in excess of several million an acre now.

Same if you build a house.

Doesn't matter what you paid for the lot, the tax man hits you for everything you built on it.

I paid $114k for my little shitty house in my little shitty neighborhood 12 years ago. Somehow now it's worth $250k. I have to pay tax on the $250K. Honestly, no fucking way I'd pay $250k for a house in my neighborhood, but that's what I got.

That's how property tax works for real people. Corporations will try to get abatements or tax breaks or whatever. But where is Disney going to go? They think they are going to get a better deal in California or New York? I'm sure Des Moines will cut them a hell of a break. It's not like building a new Walmart on the other side of town.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter what Disney built, only what it's worth now.

They probably bought that property up at less than $500 acre. Probably worth in excess of several million an acre now.

Same if you build a house.

Doesn't matter what you paid for the lot, the tax man hits you for everything you built on it.

I paid $114k for my little shitty house in my little shitty neighborhood 12 years ago. Somehow now it's worth $250k. I have to pay tax on the $250K. Honestly, no fucking way I'd pay $250k for a house in my neighborhood, but that's what I got.

That's how property tax works for real people. Corporations will try to get abatements or tax breaks or whatever. But where is Disney going to go? They think they are going to get a better deal in California or New York? I'm sure Des Moines will cut them a hell of a break. It's not like building a new Walmart on the other side of town.
View Quote
Well no, in Florida we have a nice rule that limits the amount of tax increases on property from year to year for the owner.  It's around 3% iirc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the club. Long time member here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm already filling out ballots for desantis 2024.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#33]
If Disney doesn’t want this then yes. FD. They shouldn’t be treated special. They’re trash, they should be treated just as shit as everyone else lol.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Florida Republican lawmakers have met to discuss the repeal of Disney World's self-governing arrangement following the company's criticism of the state's new Parental Rights in Education law.
View Quote

They need to do it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Start pulling permits and making life hell for them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just about? Been like that for like a year.

Would still vote for T-Rump, but would prefer DeSnuts
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Again, I know it is possible. I just believe it is highly unlikely. It's been more than 150 years since someone tried it.

I'm being realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DeSantosDeSantis is a real politician. We need him as Speaker of the House President.

Fixed.

A President is only there for two terms.

The Speaker can be there forever

Nothing says that a former president cant run for other fed offices.  John Quincy Adams went back to the senate after his final term as president

Again, I know it is possible. I just believe it is highly unlikely. It's been more than 150 years since someone tried it.

I'm being realistic.

The reason it is rare is because now after even one term as President you are so filthy rich and full of influence and favor peddling, why would you even consider something that looks at all like work.

Politics was different 200 years ago
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not to mention much more articulate and calculated.

IE he doesn’t bow to the media all while not tweeting dumb shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's starting to sound like Trump, but more effective.

Not to mention much more articulate and calculated.

IE he doesn’t bow to the media all while not tweeting dumb shit.

We all wanted a Trump minus him beefing with Omarosa on twitter.
DeSantis looks like 99% of that, with governing experience, PLUS he's younger.

I'm basically all in on him
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Hitting Disney where it hurts: Florida GOP threatens to strip Walt Disney World of its right to build anything it wants inside its theme park as feud over 'Don't Say Gay' bill escalates

More
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry guys, but I don’t agree.

Be consistent with your ideals.

Government is bad, right?  Freedom of speech is good. Just because you like this governmental action doesn’t mean people can’t have other opinions. Punishing Disney isn’t appropriate.

I’m indifferent on the law. Government is restricting government. If parents want to teach their kids about sex at an early age, this isn’t stopping them from talking to their own kids. It should not apply to private schools (I don’t know whether it does). But Disney’s arrangement is a whole separate thing. If the arrangement needs to be revisited for legitimate reasons, go ahead. This isn’t a legitimate reason.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Disney could get the Seminoles or another tribe to "annex" it to their reservation, and follow Tribal law and be regulated by the US Interior Department. They would then pay tax to the Tribal government.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Disney could get the Seminoles or another tribe to "annex" it to their reservation, and follow Tribal law and be regulated by the US Interior Department. They would then pay tax to the Tribal government.
View Quote
They'd never give up that much of a share of the money.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They'd never give up that much of a share of the money.
View Quote

Not if it's arranged by the Federal Government to help Disney bypass Florida rules.  And the Feds would pay the tribe as well for doing it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Government is bad, right?  Freedom of speech is good. Just because you like this governmental action doesn’t mean people can’t have other opinions. Punishing Disney isn’t appropriate.

I’m indifferent on the law. Government is restricting government. If parents want to teach their kids about sex at an early age, this isn’t stopping them from talking to their own kids. It should not apply to private schools (I don’t know whether it does). But Disney’s arrangement is a whole separate thing. If the arrangement needs to be revisited for legitimate reasons, go ahead. This isn’t a legitimate reason.
View Quote

Corporations acting as governments is just as bad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck Disney.

Studying for my Part 107 certification and realized the FAA has given them (in FL and CA) their own fucking airspace!
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should hurt people and organizations that are actively trying to hurt you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wondered about that. It sounds like a shot across Disney's bow that they weren't expecting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For you non-Floridians, even talking about this publicly in Tallahassee is a gigantic deal.
I wondered about that. It sounds like a shot across Disney's bow that they weren't expecting

As a former employee and having family in Orange County law enforcement, most people have no idea how locked down that place is from any outside scrutiny, law enforcement included. This is a massive shot across the sacred mouse's nose. I hope they follow through and do not cower away from this. This alone could pull the mouse in line. They like their arrangement and would not want anything to change. I could relay all kinds of stories of cover ups and inside jobs that have never seen the light of day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As a former employee and having family in Orange County law enforcement, most people have no idea how locked down that place is from any outside scrutiny, law enforcement included. This is a massive shot across the sacred mouse's nose. I hope they follow through and do not cower away from this. This alone could pull the mouse in line. They like their arrangement and would not want anything to change. I could relay all kinds of stories of cover ups and inside jobs that have never seen the light of day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For you non-Floridians, even talking about this publicly in Tallahassee is a gigantic deal.

Can confirm.  They like having the tall walls to cast shade on what they are doing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He's starting to sound like Trump, but more effective.
View Quote

He's everything Trump could have been if Trump would have just checked his ego and not felt the need to weigh in on every issue
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not even that.  They essentially have a carve out that makes them exempt from shit that all business have to abide by being on their own.  I get why they were given that in the beginning but really in the end its the government picking a "winner."  There is nothing capitalistic or "freedom oriented" about any of that.  Disney can play by the same rules that others have too.  This is just a great excuse to fix it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top