Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2011 12:44:43 PM EDT
Soo I know they are completely pointless, but since I am in the lovely republic of Kalifornia I am curious about them..

It seems like it would make the point of having a shorter barrel useless (ease of use in CQB), but on the flip side it seems that a lot of people believe that a shorter barrel is more accurate at closer distances. Currently I only shoot out to around 175 yards, so the added velocity of a longer barrel seems to me to be irrelevant. Also, I currently own a 16" carbine, a 20" A1 upper, and I'm in the middle of building a pinned 14.5".

Does the fake can affect accuracy at all? I've seen the extended A2 flash hiders, but I don't like the looks of them. Gotta be tacticool and all
Does the hive have any pros or cons with mounting one?
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
youve already answered your question.  why add weight and bulk to your gun just to look like a complete douche when you go to the range?

as far as shorter barrels being more accurate, its because the shorter the barrel, the less harmonic vibration it experiences since a shorter barrel is "stiffer" than a longer barrel, given that both barrels are of equal profiles.  adding a paper weight to the muzzle of a SBR is going to screw that up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Fake cans are for strippers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
They are for looks! So that tells you everything.
Get one if you want your gun to look a certain way. It's like a fake hood intake on a Honda.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
––––––––––––––––––––

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
looks cool in pictures. not so much when you fire and everyone immediately knows it's fake.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Non functional, dead weight, and pointless.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
looks cool in pictures. not so much when you fire and everyone immediately knows it's fake.

[/thread]

with that said i used to have one for my ak74.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Spikes ST-22 that I put a fake can on since it was a range toy anyway and it added zero length to the weapon and looks pretty cool considering the size free float tube they use. It's you gun, have some fun with it and screw the haters. Were not all tier 1 operators or want to bee's either..........

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/ST-22-Range-Day_Range_Day_3.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/ST-22-Range-Day.jpg  

How much did that cost? Is it hollow?

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Spikes ST-22 that I put a fake can on since it was a range toy anyway and it added zero length to the weapon and looks pretty cool considering the size free float tube they use. It's you gun, have some fun with it and screw the haters. Were not all tier 1 operators or want to bee's either..........

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/ST-22-Range-Day_Range_Day_3.jpg

Normally, I would criticize such an endeavor - but that just looks too dang good!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]
It's for looks and since it's your rifle, do what makes you happy and don't worry about what someone else likes.
One use I do have for one is to use with my 5" .22 barrel mounted in a 7" rail. When I'm not using my real suppressor, the fake one keeps the blast out of my hand guard.
I also had this one on my 11.5" .22. Useless from a fuction standpoint, but looked damn good.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Non functional, dead weight, and pointless.

And it just looks silly. I've seen them at the range and it really seems like a waste.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I would rather have the added barrel length instead of a fake can. It stinks you can't have in SBR in CA in your situation if you want something a little shorter I would go with a BCM 14.5 upper with a pinned muzzle device. You lose a lot of velocity with an SBR and since you are not getting the benefit of having a lighter handier weapon I don't see the point. That's just my opinion, it's your rifle do whatever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I think fake cans are great, they help me identify people at the range who I shouldn't even bother talking to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking about taking an MFI fake can and boring out the ID to use a "sleeve" for a .22lr suppressor so I can keep the "look" of my 5.56 rig with my KAC NT4 attached and have suppressed .22lr.  

If I'm gonna have a suppressed .22lr range-toy / squirrel gun, it may as well look cool.  

I just think skinny little .22lr suppressors on AR uppers look silly.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who doesn't like strippers?

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about taking an MFI fake can and boring out the ID to use a "sleeve" for a .22lr suppressor so I can keep the "look" of my 5.56 rig with my KAC NT4 attached and have suppressed .22lr.  

If I'm gonna have a suppressed .22lr range-toy / squirrel gun, it may as well look cool.  

~Augee

Someone did this with a GSG5. Bored out the fake suppressor, cut the barrel down and perm attached the shroud. Now your real suppressor can fit inside the fake one and you can keep the 16" barrel length with a suppressor without a SBR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Soo I know they are completely pointless, but since I am in the lovely republic of Kalifornia I am curious about them..
I am in a similar situation in Illinois so I can't own supressors, SBRs or Class 3 either but I take taht desire for the cool toys and compartmentalize it deep in my gut. I shut it away like some traumatic childhood memory. If I can have the real thing then I would rather have nothing.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Someone did this with a GSG5. Bored out the fake suppressor, cut the barrel down and perm attached the shroud. Now your real suppressor can fit inside the fake one and you can keep the 16" barrel length with a suppressor without a SBR.

Not gonna lie, would love one of those converted integrally suppressed GSG5SDs, but I can't justify the kind of cash that would go into either buying one or rolling my own I just can't justify it, at least not until I get the M203 I've always wanted!  

Thankfully, I've got SBRed lowers already that would be a more than suitable host for a .22lr suppressed upper, I'm thinking more of having the thing bored out to a little larger than the can and having it tapped for set screws and just slipping the thing in there and letting it "friction fit" with set screws.  Thankfully the MFI fake can and the KAC NT4 have an "appearance" that would be condusive to hiding set screws, unlike other "smooth" cans.  

Like I said, this would be a range toy / squirrel gun, so I'm also somewhat considering getting one of those airsoft 7" RIS II knockoffs (DD doesn't make the rail in that length) and getting a barrel cut to 8" and making a "mini CQBR."

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Along with the fake can don't forget the gloves, knee and elbow pads and aviators. You will want the complete look at the range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#20]
looking cool is important..

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in a similar situation in Illinois so I can't own supressors, SBRs or Class 3 either but I take taht desire for the cool toys and compartmentalize it deep in my gut. I shut it away like some traumatic childhood memory. If I can have the real thing then I would rather have nothing.

Haha maybe I'll have to take a page from your book then!

It just sucks seeing everyone else having fun with their cool toys!! Like magazines bigger than 10 rounds and that drop without a stupid tool....
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Blow up doll comes to mind.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think fake cans are great, they help me identify people at the range who I shouldn't even bother talking to.

I agree. Sorry OP but fake cans are pretty pointless. Id take one if it were given to me I suppose
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Reading all these responses makes me wish I had placed this in GD just for the lulz
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
If you can't legally own a suppressor in the state you are in, but think maybe one day you may live in a state that you can get one, then I don't think a fake suppressor is pointless.

Practice with the added weight and change in balance point of your firearm will help you learn how different it is to shoot with a suppressor once you can finally get one.  My weapon simply does not feel the same with my can attached to it, so to practice without my suppressor attached limits my ability to use my suppressed weapon as effectively.

After all, we practice how we play right?

I say get one, in hopes one day you can own the real thing, and enjoy knowing you have already had significant practice with one, even if it didn't reduce the sound coming out of the end of the muzzle...
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
you can put it on your .22 and just tell people its a 5.56.  they'll be all like, dang thats a good suppressor!

eta i just had dejavu about a yellow school bus for some reason
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#27]
sometimes fake muzzle devices serve the purpose of creating the illusion of a SBR barrel, without the trouble,and expense of the stamp

the real douche is anyone who gives a crap what someone else thinks about him, or his stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Along with the fake can don't forget the gloves, knee and elbow pads and aviators. You will want the complete look at the range.

I've seen this at my range

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$40.00 I know most of you think it's pointless and dead weight and bla, bla, bla . If you don't like it fine don't buy it and ignore it but being a dick about is un-called for. Your not sporting it and that is all that should matter but you always want to go a step further and demean someone because they don't think like you do. Simply shrug it off and ignore it. Half of you bitching about it probably don't even own an Ar i the first place. Your like a bunch of third graders piling on a new kid cause he is not in you click. I can't believe the number of pricks like this on here. It's an inanimate object that serves no purpose just like most of your comments on the subject. Grow the fuck up!

I like it, and I have Suppressors. I'm thinking that could be hollowed out and baffles inserted.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#32]
If you like the way it looks, go for it. The good thing about being in CA is that you aren't likely to meet up with someone that has a real can. The only way I would ever use one is on a .22 SMG clone that looks odd with a 16" bbl. My son put an "SD" kit on his GSG .22 and it looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you like the way it looks, go for it. The good thing about being in CA is that you aren't likely to meet up with someone that has a real can. The only way I would ever use one is on a .22 SMG clone that looks odd with a 16" bbl. My son put an "SD" kit on his GSG .22 and it looks pretty cool.

––––––––––––––––––––––-

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Fake cans are ....

" />
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Colorful flag? Care to elaborate? I have this funny feeling your one of those people I spoke of earlier. Everybody's already got one but I guess we could use one more. I just wish you were in my reach when you explain so I could adjust your attitude.........

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Before you reply how about posting a pick of any Ar's you actually own, air soft doesn't count by the way..........
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Before you reply how about posting a pick of any Ar's you actually own, air soft doesn't count by the way..........

Not fake...

... and I don't really care one way or the other what ya'll put on ya'll's rifles...

- Clint

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Best post of the entire thread!

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not fake...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ihm3yv.jpg
... and I don't really care one way or the other what ya'll put on ya'll's rifles...
- Clint

Looks great and probably works great too! That is a class reply brother and not an ASS reply that most on here want to give. I have much respect for this site and it's members but some just fuck up the gene pool for no apparent reason other than they can........

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

</a>" />

</a>" />

evl....

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2483/hereyagochump.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1951/tknow.jpg</a>" />

evl....

Good show brother! My hats off to you!

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2483/hereyagochump.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1951/tknow.jpg</a>" />

evl....

Good show brother! My hats off to you!

I'm no jcrowl, but I have a few

Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not fake...

http://i41.tinypic.com/4g846.jpg

- Clint

Is that all you got?

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Colorful flag? Care to elaborate? I have this funny feeling your one of those people I spoke of earlier. Everybody's already got one but I guess we could use one more. I just wish you were in my reach when you explain so I could adjust your attitude.........

So, you basically threaten the guy because he thinks fake suppressors are pointless? I'm not really a regular here due to a lot of this nonsense but am on a couple other sites. Personally, I don't care what anyone puts on their rifles really, but a fake can just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then again, I've never even seen one whether at work, a training class or even the local ranges.

I agree that a lot of people just post to stir up shit. I don't think threatening is all that good of an idea either though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you basically threaten the guy because he thinks fake suppressors are pointless? I'm not really a regular here due to a lot of this nonsense but am on a couple other sites. Personally, I don't care what anyone puts on their rifles really, but a fake can just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then again, I've never even seen one whether at work, a training class or even the local ranges.

I agree that a lot of people just post to stir up shit. I don't think threatening is all that good of an idea either though.

If you encounter enough of these type people you get pretty tired of it and it brings out the worst in folks. That was his intent by the way. I have to agree it was going a bit too far on my behalf but it was the truth and I meant it too.........

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#46]
They are like "Falsies" for guys.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Reading all these responses makes me wish I had placed this in GD just for the lulz

I thought this was GD, holy cow.

It's your gun do with what you please, if you like it and think it looks cool then that is justification enough,
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought this was GD, holy cow.

It's your gun do with what you please, if you like it and think it looks cool then that is justification enough,

––––––––––––––––––––––––

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you encounter enough of these type people you get pretty tired of it and it brings out the worst in folks. That was his intent by the way. I have to agree it was going a bit too far on my behalf but it was the truth and I meant it too.........

Well, not really my intent to stir anything up. I just wanted to answer the OP's question in a more "colorful" way. He did ask.... after all. No big deal. We all get excited from time to time and I have certainly had my moments. Really though, this isn't the place for threatening people that you don't know. I might be a 6'1 205 lb. bruiser who can sling a 10lb sledgehammer like a baseball bat.... or a 5'4"  130 lb. impish pencil pusher. You just never know.... so let's play nice with one another    Also, we can put whaever we want for our location. Never know how close poeple may be either.

Back to the topic. For a rifle intended for serious use, cans are garbage and the only functional purposes they could possibly serve is to keep one from burning themselves on the barrel, adding weight to reduce felt recoil, or to cover up the fact that you have some barrel  markings that you do not want others to see ( I try not to go around grabbing my barrel anyways, common sense). For a plinker, if a fake can floats your boat, then hey.... whatever makes you happy. All of my rifles have a specific purpose, and looking "cool" is just a bonus, if that is the case. Most of the stuff on my rifles that might look "cool" was chosen for the function over form (weight, length, modularity, ergos, durability, etc.). If it does not function or offer some advantage, I do not put it on the weapon. If others want to sport fake cans, fine, but I think they are gay and useless for the most part.

There should be a poll here....

Fake cans are ______ .

option 1-         gay
option 2-         not gay
option 3-         great for spotting those whom you need not bother talking to
option 4-         great for taking to the aluminum recyclers
option 5-         better than a hot apple pie and an empty house

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not fake...

http://i41.tinypic.com/4g846.jpg

- Clint

Is that all you got?
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/smdozier/DSC_0973_edited-1.jpg

If we don't watch it, crowl will come in here and show us all what time it is.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top