Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/MustangSteveGT/IMG_0973.jpg
My first AR15 assembly started with a DPMS upper that had a fake suppressor pinned to it. I believe it did effect accuracy and also seemed to add recoil as compared to similar rifles with a normal barrel and compensator. I got fed up with it and bought myself a cheap $100 M4 barrel from sportsmansguide and A2 muzzle break. The muzzle rise is greatly reduced with the cheap M4 barrel and A2 muzzle break compared to the barrel with fake suppressor and easier to place consistent accurate shots. Having the fake suppressor on there was a losing situation all around other than the appearance factor. I would say it was even louder than the A2 muzzle break barrel.
Oh yeah, and the fake suppressor weighed the barrel end down a lot. That might be considered one of worst parts about it in addition all that I just said.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colorful flag? Care to elaborate? I have this funny feeling your one of those people I spoke of earlier. Everybody's already got one but I guess we could use one more. I just wish you were in my reach when you explain so I could adjust your attitude.........

So, you basically threaten the guy because he thinks fake suppressors are pointless? I'm not really a regular here due to a lot of this nonsense but am on a couple other sites. Personally, I don't care what anyone puts on their rifles really, but a fake can just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then again, I've never even seen one whether at work, a training class or even the local ranges.
I agree that a lot of people just post to stir up shit. I don't think threatening is all that good of an idea either though.

If you encounter enough of these type people you get pretty tired of it and it brings out the worst in folks. That was his intent by the way. I have to agree it was going a bit too far on my behalf but it was the truth and I meant it too.........

Well, not really my intent to stir anything up. I just wanted to answer the OP's question in a more "colorful" way. He did ask.... after all. No big deal. We all get excited from time to time and I have certainly had my moments. Really though, this isn't the place for threatening people that you don't know. I might be a 6'1 205 lb. bruiser who can sling a 10lb sledgehammer like a baseball bat.... or a 5'4"  130 lb. impish pencil pusher. You just never know.... so let's play nice with one another    Also, we can put whaever we want for our location. Never know how close poeple may be either.
Back to the topic. For a rifle intended for serious use, cans are garbage and the only functional purposes they could possibly serve is to keep one from burning themselves on the barrel, adding weight to reduce felt recoil, or to cover up the fact that you have some barrel  markings that you do not want others to see ( I try not to go around grabbing my barrel anyways, common sense). For a plinker, if a fake can floats your boat, then hey.... whatever makes you happy. All of my rifles have a specific purpose, and looking "cool" is just a bonus, if that is the case. Most of the stuff on my rifles that might look "cool" was chosen for the function over form (weight, length, modularity, ergos, durability, etc.). If it does not function or offer some advantage, I do not put it on the weapon. If others want to sport fake cans, fine, but I think they are gay and useless for the most part.
There should be a poll here....
Fake cans are ______ .
option 1-         gay

option 2-         not gay

option 3-         great for spotting those whom you need not bother talking to

option 4-         great for taking to the aluminum recyclers

option 5-         better than a hot apple pie and an empty house

––––––––––––––

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Everyone - keep it civil. This is NOT GD.

Thanks...  

––––––––––

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
<This is not GD. Consider yourself lucky I didn't sent you an account warning considering the fact that I already cautioned people a few posts ago.  Z>

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Door knobs do it up here just to look cool.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Worse than useless.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The appeal of military firearms is that they are purely functional.  A cheap parkerized finish instead of a nice shiny blued finish, etc.

But the tacticool guys are in love with the "military look" itself.  The function of the rifle is not important, only the look.

And on top of it, they sneer at guys who like the traditional looking guns, as if the appearance of their gun made them more of a badass.

Oh, the irony -

In my mind a fake can is like putting hood scoops and shit on a honda accord.   kind of sad and pitiful....

The only gun I would consider putting a fake can on would be the MAC 10 because it is a tiny clunky pistol that you can sort of convert to a baby carbine with the addition of a can and stock.  So if you didn't want to lay out the $600 for a can, a $40 fake would give you a place to hold the gun better.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]

not fake..
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
How is a fake can any more gay than the 12lb carbines loaded out with "tactical" gear for the 80% of ARFCOM who are not, nor have ever been MIL/LEO? Let's face it. Fake is Fake. Posing with a fake silencer is no more gay than posing with some tactical loadout.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Permanently attaching a fake can is a cheap and easy way to legalize an old short barreled upper you might have been able to pick up for a song at a gun show; without having to go the tax stamp route and all it entails.

Something I have done myself to create a cheap, beater rifle.

Who the fuck cares what the guy in the next range stall thinks if he wants to be a prick ?

Same goes for anonymous individuals on the internet who want to talk shit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How is a fake can any more gay than the 12lb carbines loaded out with "tactical" gear for the 80% of ARFCOM who are not, nor have ever been MIL/LEO? Let's face it. Fake is Fake. Posing with a fake silencer is no more gay than posing with some tactical loadout.

No you have it all wrong.

The tubbies and out of shape lard-asses with the most "real" and expensive tactical gear hung off of their rifles are kewl.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a plain jane 6920, which i bought for the same reason as i buy any gun, it's cool as shit and it's fun to shoot.

If the need ever arose it would also make a fine personal weapon.

I don't have a tacticool bone in my body, I actually really like commercial type firearms and see them as a very refined evolution of firearm design.

buying a fake can isn't the same as merely appreciating a military gun, it's a quantum leap into the dizzy world of tacticool gear worshipping.

I agree that a tacticool buildout of a AR15 is usually pretty excessive and ghey, not my cup o tea.

fake cans and fake grenade lauchers are the worst of the lot as they are literally fake, not just overkill.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you can't legally own a suppressor in the state you are in, but think maybe one day you may live in a state that you can get one, then I don't think a fake suppressor is pointless.

Practice with the added weight and change in balance point of your firearm will help you learn how different it is to shoot with a suppressor once you can finally get one.  My weapon simply does not feel the same with my can attached to it, so to practice without my suppressor attached limits my ability to use my suppressed weapon as effectively.

After all, we practice how we play right?

I say get one, in hopes one day you can own the real thing, and enjoy knowing you have already had significant practice with one, even if it didn't reduce the sound coming out of the end of the muzzle...

My ar currently has a fake suppressor on a 11.5 in barrel. Brings me up to the 16 in limit. Planned to move to a suppressor state..... then we became one...
It balances oh so much better than before. Currently looking into perm attached real suppressor
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a gun with a fake can, of course without it it looks like complete shit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
they're useful on a Cobray M11/9 (as well as bbl extensions) so you don't shoot your fingers off
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Who's got the balls to tell Tweety that his beater Franken-rifle with permattached fake can and 3-9 Simmons glass isn't tacticool enough ?

Anybody?

Didn't think so.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Colorful flag? Care to elaborate? I have this funny feeling your one of those people I spoke of earlier. Everybody's already got one but I guess we could use one more. I just wish you were in my reach when you explain so I could adjust your attitude.........

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Before you reply how about posting a pick of any Ar's you actually own, air soft doesn't count by the way..........

Fake can = stupid

I've got a couple more that aren't pictured.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]
So what you're saying is that you just want to "look cool"......gotcha  
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish a had a dollar for every picture posted on this website of a rifle with a fake Chicom Acog, Aimpoint clone, or other phoney, airsoft rail or optic; or Chicom laser and flashlight.

Monopod sniper style butt stocks are cool as well.

Expensive, nice looking,  tactical rails without anything mounted on them are also "the shit" around here.

But a fake can?

You're a "poser".
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wish a had a dollar for every picture posted on this website of a rifle with a fake Chicom Acog, Aimpoint clone, or other phoney, airsoft rail or optic; or Chicom laser and flashlight.

Expensive, nice looking,  tactical rails without anything mounted on them are also "the shit" around here.

But a fake can?

You're a "poser".

If I didnt leave the DD quad rail empty, where would I mount my $200 in KAC rail covers??

now you look dumb.

edit: forgot to add my gunforum cred pic.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But a fake can?

You're a "poser".

If I didnt leave the DD quad rail empty, where would I mount my $200 in KAC rail covers??  

now you look dumb.

edit: forgot to add my gunforum cred pic.

Absolutely;  if  people actually used their sophisticated  tactical rail systems to mount accessories, there wouldn't be anywhere to mount their $200.00 tactical rail covers.

Tactical rails installed to support tactical rail covers are cool indeed.

But fake cans are only for posers.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#28]
the one and only fake can I have is this

a 16" uzi looks a lot worse than this
soon to be an sbr then I can loose that shit
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before you reply how about posting a pick of any Ar's you actually own, air soft doesn't count by the way..........

Fake can = stupid

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=30753

Your still a pussy! Yeah I said it bitch! I've sold more Ar's than you will ever have! Now fuck all of you BARFCOMERS!

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

Your still a pussy! Yeah I said it bitch! I've sold more Ar's than you will ever have! Now fuck all of you BARFCOMERS!

Why get so carried away over a GD post about whether the way your rifles look may or may not appeal to some stranger?

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

ruh ruoh
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

That's cute!
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sick and tired of all these fucking know it all's! I'd bitch slap him if I could! Fucking keyboard commando! I've served my country to preserve the right of his free speech and mine!
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I've tried to take the high road an avoid this bullshit but you fucking trolls don't let up. Pray you never run across me in person!

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Either my sarcasm needs calibration, or you need help.

notsureifserious.jpg
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Am I allowed to be in before the lock?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've tried to take the high road an avoid this bullshit but you fucking trolls don't let up. Pray you never run across me in person!

Calm down there internet toughguy, Isnt it past your bed time? The mean men on the internet wont make fun of you and your fake cans there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#38]
They are a waste and serve no purpose. You are better off getting a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are a waste and serve no purpose. You are better off getting a longer barrel.

They serve a purpose. They cover a dumb looking skinny barrel on rifles and subgun copies that are supposed to have SBR length barrels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Either my sarcasm needs calibration, or you need help.

notsureifserious.jpg

My issue is not with you brother! It's the cyber bullies that piss me off. You know the ones that won't pick up a weapon to defend there country but type like there delta force vets..........

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I think on guns like the gsg5 they are ok cause the gun would look weird as hell with a 16 in barrel
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I think on guns like the gsg5 they are ok cause the gun would look weird as hell with a 16 in barrel

That is a very accurate statement Sir! And a very civil one at that. If everyone else would have a little respect for other peoples opinions instead bashing all would be well but there are way too many shit stirrers to allow that to happen........

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not fake...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ihm3yv.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/4g846.jpg

... and I don't really care one way or the other what ya'll put on ya'll's rifles...

- Clint

Is that all you got?

What is the last one on the left with the straight mag?

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a very accurate statement Sir! And a very civil one at that. If everyone else would have a little respect for other peoples opinions instead bashing all would be well but there are way too many shit stirrers to allow that to happen........

Welcome to GD.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LOOK OUT EVERYONE

KEYBOARD COMMANDO COMING THROUGH
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOOK OUT EVERYONE

KEYBOARD COMMANDO COMING THROUGH

Thats the pot calling the kettle black!

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

Maybe if you sell a few more you can afford to get back on your meds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

I don't need any meds just 5 minutes alone with you.......

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake can = stupid

I don't need any meds just 5 minutes alone with you.......

rofl

This guy is e-tough, everyone!  Come see how badass he is!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top