Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/15/2023 9:44:27 PM EDT
CLIFF'S NOTES:  Lady never served in the military, but claimed she had cancer from the burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan and brain injuries from an IED while serving overseas.  Was the Commander of her local VFW in Rhode Island and paraded around in a USMC uniform with a Purple Heart and other medals she NEVER earned. Again, she NEVER served in ANY branch of the military.  Played the victim card and scammed various veterans groups out of more than $250,000.

Sarah Cavanaugh, at the center of RI 'stolen valor' fraud case, to be sentenced
https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/crime/2023/03/14/ri-stolen-valor-woman-sarah-cavanaugh-posed-as-disabled-marine-stole-from-vet-groups-sentencing/70003228007/

How she was outed as a fake Marine:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-sleuths-blew-the-lid-on-sarah-jane-cavanaugh-accused-purple-heart-fraudster-and-fake-marine

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Editor's note: For results of the sentencing see our story 'RI woman in 'stolen valor' fraud case sentenced to prison. Here's how long she'll serve.

'Sarah Cavanaugh claimed to be so ill as a disabled Marine veteran that she had a caregiver pick up her dog’s droppings for her.

The Purple Heart and Bronze Star that she said she'd earned gained her entry into a California arts program for wounded veterans – over a double amputee.

At the gym, where people heard about her supposed cancer from the burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan and how an explosion had left her with brain and dexterity injuries, members dropped to their knees to tie her sneakers.

These were some of the small, reprehensible ways people were hurt by Cavanaugh’s grand deception of being something and someone she wasn’t, says Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald R. Gendron. “Fraud permeated every aspect of her life, every day, for years, from major events to the everyday and mundane.”

Last August, Cavanaugh, a 32-year-old former social worker at the Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center, pleaded guilty to several crimes, having masqueraded as a stricken Marine veteran to swindle more than $250,000 in veterans’ benefits and charitable contributions and exploit the good will of those who helped her.

On Tuesday, Gendron asked U.S. District Court Chief Judge John J. McConnell Jr. to sentence the East Greenwich woman to up to 70 months in prison, and that is what she received.

“The fact that she misappropriated the awards, combat histories, medical diagnoses and identities of real veterans is reprehensible,” wrote Gendron in a pre-sentencing report, “but the fact that she then used that stolen valor to enrich herself to the detriment of real veterans is simply horrendous.”

Prosecutors charged Cavanaugh with falsifying military service records, false use of military medals, aggravated identity theft and wire fraud.

Cavanaugh put much effort into the role.

She bought replicas of the Purple Heart and Bronze Star and wore them in public. She served as commander of VFW Post 152 in North Kingstown. In August 2021 she appeared in full dress Marine uniform and played host at an event dedicating a portion of Route 1 as the Purple Heart Trail.

“No one earns a Purple Heart alone,” she reportedly told attendees, including Gov. Dan McKee. “I earned mine amongst 11 other Marines, all of whom were awarded that medal. Some came home. Some did not. No one came home the same.”

She described herself as "one of those veterans — the ones who wish to fly under the radar, who merely did what was asked ...”

In reality, Gendron said, Cavanaugh did what no one asked and what many would never imagine: steal the medical histories of real veterans – including one who was so afraid she might die he paid her $600 monthly health insurance deductible for years.  

Cavanaugh made their ailments hers, and reaped what she could:

From the Wounded Warrior Project: $230,683
From VFW Post 152: $6,146
Travel and tuition to the CreatiVets arts project: $14,972
From the SSG Matthew A. Pucino Memorial Foundation: $10,072
From a GoFundMe page entitled “Help Sarah Win Her Battle": $4,766

She had no trouble asking for help, requesting that one charitable group, Code of Support, write checks to pay her $900 overdue gym membership, cover a $10,000 furnace repair and pay her $2,500 mortgage bill.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be a hangable offense
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I generally believe that stolen valor nitwits have genuine mental problems. I mostly just see them getting attention, and nothing else. This girl is a con artist, and deserves to serve every day of those 70 moths, then a couple of years of community service in a VA hospital wiping the asses of disabled veterans.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
A professional veteran.  Fuck her
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This post nails it
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Throwing marine vets in prison now???!?!

Thanks Biden.

….
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully AC puts out a new video on this.  

ETA:  This is the one he put out a year ago on her.

The Largest Stolen Valor Fraud in History - Hundreds of Thousands Stolen
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats the stupidest thing I have read all day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks Biden.

View Quote
Calibrate your sarcasm meters here boys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see why people would want to do that at all, same with police impersonators.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't see why people would want to do that at all, same with police impersonators.
View Quote

She got $$$.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Cunt...
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, she used to be a social worker at a VA.  I mean, she was kind of doing God's work right there then she decided to become a fucking thief.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy smokes...she acammed $250G !!!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

She got $$$.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She got $$$.

This.  It was alot more than just putting on the uniform or pinning on medals she never earned.  She scammed people out of over $250,000

Cavanaugh made their ailments hers, and reaped what she could:

From the Wounded Warrior Project: $230,683
From VFW Post 152: $6,146
Travel and tuition to the CreatiVets arts project: $14,972
From the SSG Matthew A. Pucino Memorial Foundation: $10,072
From a GoFundMe page entitled “Help Sarah Win Her Battle": $4,766
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's like Tim said above, most of the time it's for the attention but in this case, she's a con artist looking for profit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I generally believe that stolen valor nitwits have genuine mental problems. I mostly just see them getting attention, and nothing else. This girl is a con artist, and deserves to serve every day of those 70 moths, then a couple of years of community service in a VA hospital wiping the asses of disabled veterans.
View Quote

Exactly.  

It’s not like she committed murder.  Everyone had a chance to vet this moron before they gave her anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit getting $250 (let alone $250k!) out of the VA is hard as hell as an actual disabled vet with documentation. She must have been a wiz with the mind boggling paperwork.

I admit it always makes me suspicious as hell when someone wears a uniform after leaving service. I got rid of all that shit day 1 after retirement. I put my docs in the safe and that was the end of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#21]
mental illness
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll never understand how these folks think they'll get away with it.  Even with fake documentation, how do they ever get through a conversation with an actual veteran?  It's got to be some sort of mental deficiency.
View Quote

She worked in a VA, maybe she thought she had the patois down pat?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy shit getting $250 (let alone $250k!) out of the VA is hard as hell as an actual disabled vet with documentation. She must have been a wiz with the paperwork.
View Quote

Looks like she hit charitable orgs, not the VA.  There are thousands of folks lined up to help vets and they're so eager, they jump at the chance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
At first I thought 70 months was harsh for pretending to have served.

After reading all she did, 70 months is not enough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't she get elected head of her VFW post? How did those guys not smell a rat? There's so many details about military service, like where you were stationed, what it was like there, all the numbers and technical paper work stuff like which job you had, who else did you work with. It seems like something very hard to fake around veterans
View Quote

Nah.

They were pounding that marine pussy raw. She might not have deployed, but she did get PSTD from those men at the VFW.

She is an easy deployment 6 or 7.

Blonde hair, ugly face, retarded…

Ya…exactly what a veteran is looking for.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Didn't she get elected head of her VFW post? How did those guys not smell a rat? There's so many details about military service, like where you were stationed, what it was like there, all the numbers and technical paper work stuff like which job you had, who else did you work with. It seems like something very hard to fake around veterans
View Quote
My wife's cousin is a con man who for years got away with portraying himself as a Lakota and former Green Beret in Viet Nam with several covert missions under his belt.

He fooled even the Utah Olympic Committee and conned his way into the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Olympics.

Grifters like him know that if you tell people what they want to hear then they won't ask many questions.  The idea of a Patriotic Native American War Hero was too good to resist.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember the original story about that shit stain.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
bruh
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#35]
If she truly believes she has valor, and identifies as such, does that identity, aka, her "truth," override silly things like facts'n'shit?

Edit: My gosh she's a giant cunt for pulling all that shit.  (Wasn't even a marine, but a damn social worker, lulz). Wow, yeah, the whole damn book needs to be thrown at her.  She better have her wages garnished for a lifetime after she gets out of prison.  Perhaps Biden will pardon her because her ethos fits Democrats to a T.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#36]
If a man can say he’s a woman now, she can say she was a marine.  

Clearly neither of them are what they claim to be.  Both get benefits.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Just as fake as that fake black girl a while back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember when she got called out but holy shit I didn't realize it was that bad. 70 months she'll probably be out in half that for "good behavior"
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
So enlistment numbers are down. I say make all the stolen valor people that are physically able go actually serve in the military.Give them the worst jobs possible and put the “stolen valor” stuff in their file so everyone knows.Make them cannon fodder.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
She'd be wise to leave the Country, i know many in RI are patiently waiting for her to get out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Wasn’t sure if it was as fake female or fake marine who is a female but at this point the narrative could swing either way…
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
She'd be wise to leave the Country, i know many in RI are patiently waiting for her to get out.
View Quote

What a fucking cunt.

I wonder if anyone joking asked her if she went to boot in San Diego or tossed out one of the non BAM units at Parris Island.

I met a dipshit 4 years ago my manager hired. Claimed he was a Marine. The very first workgroup meeting went like this...

Me...So, Hollywood or Real ???
New Guy...What???
Me....Hollywood or Real ??
NG....What???
Me...Dude....Parris Island or San Diego ???
NG...I have no idea what you are talking about.
Me....Where did you go to boot????
NG....Ohhhhh, New Jersey.
Me....MOS ????
NG...why are you asking about moss???

I quit about that point and warned my boss he was a liar. I hear he was fired after I retired. Rumor was it was for falsification.

You can find out pretty quickly just conversing with people if they are full of shit or not.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks Biden.

….
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
What a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Is that a BSM with V?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Some loser brags at a bar about s**t he didn't do, I just ignore.

That bitch is pure evil and deserves to spend the rest of her life in misery.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Believe all women.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#49]
WWP only sends a few pennies per donated dollar to vets. Imagine how many millions were donated to WWP to equal that much given to her.
So much overhead toward their operating costs, salaries, and marketing, yet they still can’t verify a recipient is an actual vet.

Too bad she’ll only serve 46 months with good time in a minimum security Club Fed with a Bowling Alley. Likely not even enough time for her to complete the Master Gardener course.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#50]
It happens so often.

Like when I was at Home Depot and the guy checking to see an item was in stock had dog tags hanging outside his shirt.

I asked him what he did because he looked around 19.

Was told (no joke) that he had been in Force Recon. Halfway during boot camp they noticed he was outperforming everyone and pulled up with a van so he could go through the SF pipeline. Other than that he can't tell me anything.

The guy was dead serious. And I'm really good at reading sarcasm, he wasn't just having a laugh. Did everything possible not to bust out laughing. Almost like an ultra serious Steven Seagal type vibe where they've convinced themselves it's true and they're mysterious.

I can't think of a single vet friend that wears their dog tags like a necklace outside their shirt. So I know other vets have asked him about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top