Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lefties were abusing Vietnam vets because of My Lai massacre. He said he'd watch cop get beat up and not do anything because he doesn't like them. Do you really see no correlation between the two points?
View Quote

You think it was just "lefties" abusing Vietnam vets?....lol...

We got it from both sides...still do in some cases...

It does give one a better perspective on the world though...imo

That young boy certainly gained a new perspective too..
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cliff notes.....Texas is a 'no show' state, you don't have to show ID unless you are under arrest or are engaging in a privilege which requires a license, such as driving. None of the line officers knew this and arrested the guy for a crime he didn't commit. Sergeant showed up though and schooled those officers on the penal code. The guy was released and will most likely sue Walmart and/or the PD.
View Quote

The guy will win big bucks for this incident and rightly should.  If you watch/listen to the video and hear the reaction of his toddler son, that alone should drive just how awful this was.

I give the police sergeant credit for doing the right thing, but as for his officers and their actions, I'll pray for them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cliff notes.....Texas is a 'no show' state, you don't have to show ID unless you are under arrest or are engaging in a privilege which requires a license, such as driving. None of the line officers knew this and arrested the guy for a crime he didn't commit. Sergeant showed up though and schooled those officers on the penal code.
View Quote

what a shame.  They'll still get QI because "I was the slowest guy in my run group, so as punishment they had me cleaning the latrine during that block of instruction in Cop Skool."
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't give that Sergeant a pass on this at all, he did the "right" thing but definitely showed little leadership.

1. After talking to his officers, he should have personally explained everything to the victim instead of having the dipshit officers continue to be assholes to the guy they just violated.  
  2. He should have ripped new assholes when they called the guy an asshole as he walked away.  
  3. You can tell he knew it was a shit sandwich and just wanted to hold on to the bread and not have to take a bite as well.
  4. His demeanor (and all of the other officers) was not: "We really made a mistake, we need to do better"; it was: "fucking guy ruined our night and now there will be paperwork".

Not having any sense of accountability for when you are a total dickbag isn't fixing the image they say is unfair.  Make mistakes learn from them, be humble and maybe you won't have shit like this happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't give that Sergeant a pass on this at all, he did the "right" thing but definitely showed little leadership.

1. After talking to his officers, he should have personally explained everything to the victim instead of having the dipshit officers continue to be assholes to the guy they just violated.  
  2. He should have ripped new assholes when they called the guy an asshole as he walked away.  
  3. You can tell he knew it was a shit sandwich and just wanted to hold on to the bread and not have to take a bite as well.
  4. His demeanor (and all of the other officers) was not: "We really made a mistake, we need to do better"; it was: "fucking guy ruined our night and now there will be paperwork".

Not having any sense of accountability for when you are a total dickbag isn't fixing the image they say is unfair.  Make mistakes learn from them, be humble and maybe you won't have shit like this happen.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, but I"m sure his focus at that point was purely about managing liability, not apologizing to "civilians."
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
mAyBe We ShOuLd PrOvIdE oVeRwAtCh FoR tHe CoPs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

what good was asking for his ID gonna do?  It's not like they had the name of the drunk driver and could match it to this guy.  Having this guy's name/address isn't gonna help them figure out if he did it.
View Quote

That just gets the fishing expedition started.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The guy will win big bucks for this incident and rightly should.  If you watch/listen to the video and hear the reaction of his toddler son, that alone should drive just how awful this was.

I give the police sergeant credit for doing the right thing, but as for his officers and their actions, I'll pray for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cliff notes.....Texas is a 'no show' state, you don't have to show ID unless you are under arrest or are engaging in a privilege which requires a license, such as driving. None of the line officers knew this and arrested the guy for a crime he didn't commit. Sergeant showed up though and schooled those officers on the penal code. The guy was released and will most likely sue Walmart and/or the PD.

Yeah.

I have a 4 and 6 year old.

What do you tell your kids after that happens to you and they witness it? How can you tell them with a straight face "you can trust the police"?

"Well cops are the good guys, except for the guys that wrongfully arrested and manhandled your dad, and some other ones are bad too, but not all of them, and you never know which ones are the good ones and which are the bad ones because they all wear the same uniform. You have rights, but be careful about exercising them or you might catch a cop on a bad day that wants to jam you up on a power trip. But if something bad happens to you call the police, they might help you, sometimes, if they show up. Or they might shoot our family dog."

I was with a friend when he had his CCW stolen out of his locked truck while we were at a bar after work (spare me the "always carry even when it's illegal" for a moment). Call the police, "someone will call you later to take a report, we don't have the manpower to send anyone out." Pass 3 police vehicles sitting on the shoulder looking for speeders on the drive home . I guess writing speeding tickets is more important than doing anything about a stolen gun that will likely be used in additional crime and added to the "gun violence" statistics. He did get a call the next day, and never heard a thing about it again.

I realize recovering a stolen gun is unlikely, but it's fucking impossible if absolutely zero effort is put into it. It's almost like they want a bunch of stolen guns in the wild

As others have said, I used to have a lot of respect for the police. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt in murky situations. Now, not so much.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah.

What do you tell your kids after that happens to you and they witness it? How can you tell them with a straight face "you can trust the police"?

"Well cops are the good guys, except for the guys that wrongfully arrested and manhandled your dad, and some other ones are bad too, but not all of them, and you never know which ones are the good ones and which are the bad ones because they all wear the same uniform. You have rights, but be careful about exercising them or you might catch a cop on a bad day that wants to jam you up on a power trip. But if something bad happens to you call the police, they might help you, sometimes, if they show up. Or they might shoot our family dog."

I was with a friend when he had his CCW stolen out of his locked truck while we were at a bar after work (spare me the "always carry even when it's illegal" for a moment). Call the police, "someone will call you later to take a report, we don't have the manpower to send anyone out." Pass 3 police vehicles sitting on the shoulder looking for speeders on the drive home . I guess writing speeding tickets is more important than doing anything about a stolen gun that will likely be used in additional crime and added to the "gun violence" statistics. He did get a call the next day, and never heard a thing about it again.

I realize recovering a stolen gun is unlikely, but it's fucking impossible if absolutely zero effort is put into it. It's almost like they want a bunch of stolen guns in the wild

As others have said, I used to have a lot of respect for the police. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt in murky situations. Now, not so much.

View Quote

@UTex86

I'm in the same boat with two toddlers and I'm having a hard time with how to talk to my kids about police these days.  That's even with having Federal, State, and local LEOs in our family.  The really scary part is that those LEO family members feel the same way.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, a citizen would certainly be held responsible for breaking the law, even if it was only one time. They certainly wouldn't be ok with you or I arresting someone that we had no authority to detain. Especially if our defense for doing it was "I didn't know the law". The "I didn't know the law" excuse wouldn't work for anyone else in a U.S. court either, "ignorance of law excuses no one" is an actual legal principle.. Saying you didn't intend to commit a crime because you claim to be ignorant of the law, is not a grounds for defense. The police in this situation had no more authority to demand to see an I.D. or detain this guy than you are I would. I 100% believe cops need to know the laws well enough to perform their jobs. Everyone else I know is expected to know their jobs well enough to be able to perform them without committing crimes, harming people, causing damage, etc.  If not, they get sued/fired. I appreciate the work that police do, but I do not support Jack Boots. These cops were Jack Boots, they walked up to a guy who was shopping with his kid and told him to "Do what I want or I'll arrest you and take your child".
The circumstance that should be considered here is that even though they knew they had no good description of the suspect that had been reported and this guy appeared to be committing no crimes when they first made contact with him, they decided to threaten him, then arrest him and take his child for failing to show I.D...

That type of behavior is uncalled for and I'd be lawyering up if I were that guy. I hope he gets paid and those cops get sent back to training. I mean the fact that they couldn't tell he was intoxicated after speaking with him would tell a person of average intelligence that the guy is probably not the guy they are looking for since "publicly intoxicated" people are clearly intoxicated....which would be why the cops were called or there in the first place. I've worked in and around medicine for more than 20 years and I have yet to see an intoxicated person "sober up" in the time it takes the police to respond to the call, and if they had I'd imagine there'd be no charges to file. This guy didn't appear to be intoxicated in the slightest. The cops even admit that he didn't appear to be intoxicated when asked. The cops just didn't like being told "no" and decided he needed to be taught to "Respect their Authority".  

If they suspected that he was the guy they were looking for they would have charged him with public intoxication and then asked for the I.D....They did not do that. They arrested him for not showing I.D. and when the Sargent asked if the guy was intoxicated they both said "No"....i.e. they knew he wasn't the guy that they had been called about, but decided to arrest him anyway. IMO, these cops were no better than any other Jack Booted NAZI. It may not be a big deal to some, but to me it appeared as though they knew they had no authority to detain him for the reason they had been called, but decided to try slap a false charge on the guy "to teach him a lesson".
View Quote

Solid analysis.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to get all fired up but then saw that they were Walmart shoppers.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That'll show the taxpayers.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Wrong badge
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#15]
An easy "fix" would be to take any judgements against an LEO out of their retirement fund because now the taxpayer get to pay for their whoopsies.

Let the thread slide continue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Are there any IQ standards with these Mayberry departments? Holy shit!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#17]
They should look up 38.02.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably give sarge a little more credit for following the law vs. simply supporting their officers.
View Quote
Why? He obviously has failed in training his officers under him.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
You can be damn sure they won't make this mistake with a black man.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Hell we are there, they just haven't started stuffing us in ovens... yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

.. I might be a tad umm...bothered by whatever fucking point the guy above was trying to convey about child molesters.
View Quote
Yeah, that dude that insinuated that is quite a piece of Guano..

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Those were some dim cops.  I dont want to judge texas as a whole but I hope yall arent sending your best...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have no issue with taking events into consideration.  

Just realize though that every job has a minimum level of competency that is required.  From ditch digger to CEO of a large company.  I know a guy working excavation that decided to dig without a locate, cut a line, got fired.  CEO of Bayer decided to buy Monsanto while they were under trial.  Both of these people got fired for lack of a basic level of competency.

It is in my opinion a basic level of competency issue to know whether someone has to show you their ID before you go hands on and arrest them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My question is should a cop be crucified over every case of false arrest or do we look at circumstances surrounding it as well as harm done? zero tolerance ?
I have no issue with taking events into consideration.  

Just realize though that every job has a minimum level of competency that is required.  From ditch digger to CEO of a large company.  I know a guy working excavation that decided to dig without a locate, cut a line, got fired.  CEO of Bayer decided to buy Monsanto while they were under trial.  Both of these people got fired for lack of a basic level of competency.

It is in my opinion a basic level of competency issue to know whether someone has to show you their ID before you go hands on and arrest them.

You forgot that there is a Maximum level of competency in most jobs. Even if a guy with 10 masters degrees was the best ditch digger in the world, he wouldn't be hired because he is "Over Qualified for the Job".
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a thing where this takes place?
I've always looked at "I want to speak to your supervisor," the same as, "If you're an undercover, you have to tell me if I ask."
In many places, you don't get to ask to see a boss.
View Quote

Russia, China, Nazi Germany....where else am I missing?
View Quote
Please... you looking for a Day Time Emmy with that melodrama?
I have news for you, that "I want a supervisor" act is TV shit. I'd tell you "No" and put you in the car. Done.
And, I'd venture to guess that it's like that most places. You don't have any "right" to talk to a supervisor.
Hell, even if I did call my boss to the scene, he wouldn't talk to you. He'd just ask me, "Whadda ya got, runcible?"
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Never.Go.To.Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have news for you, that "I want a supervisor" act is TV shit. I'd tell you "No" and put you in the car. Done.
And, I'd venture to guess that it's like that most places. You don't have any "right" to talk to a supervisor.
Hell, even if I did call my boss to the scene, he wouldn't talk to you. He'd just ask me, "Whadda ya got, runcible?"
View Quote
Well there you have it.... You OOOZEEEE the "thin blue line"....
You are my hero!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never.Go.To.Walmart.
View Quote

I've been saying that here so much but just get ignored.

How is less money for the CCP, DNC and Gun grabbers a bad thing?

All I get back is:

"But Stars cream, muh Rollbacks and the prices literally fall down as you walk around the store"

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, a citizen would certainly be held responsible for breaking the law, even if it was only one time. They certainly wouldn't be ok with you or I arresting someone that we had no authority to detain. Especially if our defense for doing it was "I didn't know the law". The "I didn't know the law" excuse wouldn't work for anyone else in a U.S. court either, "ignorance of law excuses no one" is an actual legal principle.. Saying you didn't intend to commit a crime because you claim to be ignorant of the law, is not a grounds for defense. The police in this situation had no more authority to demand to see an I.D. or detain this guy than you are I would. I 100% believe cops need to know the laws well enough to perform their jobs. Everyone else I know is expected to know their jobs well enough to be able to perform them without committing crimes, harming people, causing damage, etc.  If not, they get sued/fired. I appreciate the work that police do, but I do not support Jack Boots. These cops were Jack Boots, they walked up to a guy who was shopping with his kid and told him to "Do what I want or I'll arrest you and take your child".
The circumstance that should be considered here is that even though they knew they had no good description of the suspect that had been reported and this guy appeared to be committing no crimes when they first made contact with him, they decided to threaten him, then arrest him and take his child for failing to show I.D...

That type of behavior is uncalled for and I'd be lawyering up if I were that guy. I hope he gets paid and those cops get sent back to training. I mean the fact that they couldn't tell he was intoxicated after speaking with him would tell a person of average intelligence that the guy is probably not the guy they are looking for since "publicly intoxicated" people are clearly intoxicated....which would be why the cops were called or there in the first place. I've worked in and around medicine for more than 20 years and I have yet to see an intoxicated person "sober up" in the time it takes the police to respond to the call, and if they had I'd imagine there'd be no charges to file. This guy didn't appear to be intoxicated in the slightest. The cops even admit that he didn't appear to be intoxicated when asked. The cops just didn't like being told "no" and decided he needed to be taught to "Respect their Authority".  

If they suspected that he was the guy they were looking for they would have charged him with public intoxication and then asked for the I.D....They did not do that. They arrested him for not showing I.D. and when the Sargent asked if the guy was intoxicated they both said "No"....i.e. they knew he wasn't the guy that they had been called about, but decided to arrest him anyway. IMO, these cops were no better than any other Jack Booted NAZI. It may not be a big deal to some, but to me it appeared as though they knew they had no authority to detain him for the reason they had been called, but decided to try slap a false charge on the guy "to teach him a lesson".
View Quote

Well stated good sir.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My question is should a cop be crucified over every case of false arrest or do we look at circumstances surrounding it as well as harm done? zero tolerance ?
View Quote

"It is better that Ten Guilty Persons Escape than One Innocent Suffer."
-Sir William Blackstone, 1765
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The above in bold is the way... THE ONLY WAY...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You are my hero!
View Quote

/chuckle
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are my hero!
View Quote

The Thin Blue Slime

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Title should probably be "SJW lies about person with Trump Mask".
View Quote

Yup...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#34]
An enterprising lawyer might have fun with emergency line caller ID subpoena to find out who made the call.  I don't think it was a coincidence he was wearing a Trump mask.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
He was looking for any excuse to jam the dude up so they didn't look like complete retards but that didn't work either.
You could tell he smelled that shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This type of ignorance of such a basic part of your job is unacceptable. Departments spend large budgets on training. If your officers don't understand the basics of their job.

How are they supposed be trusted to handle complex issues. That handled poorly can result in severe consequences.

The sad thing is. Every officer there went along with violating this man's constitutional rights and traumatizing his son. All in the name of communistic power hungry totalitarianism.

Disgusting. It is dumb fucks like this that cause distrust from the public.
View Quote

We keep hearing "it's just a few bad apples" and yet their colleagues just stand there and watch them do it. Even the sergeant was looking for something they could charge the guy with rather than admit to the screw up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lefties were abusing Vietnam vets because of My Lai massacre. He said he'd watch cop get beat up and not do anything because he doesn't like them. Do you really see no correlation between the two points?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What

The police have not just shown, but proven that they are *NO* friend to the good Americans in the last year.

They LITERALLY sided with Antifa and BLM against law and order and went full retard on the people who actually support them.

And I used to be one.

The police made their bed. They sided with communists against Americans. I am surprised we haven't started seeing Heros in Blue lately. The Dems are going to need every badge on deck for what is coming and need to start trying to sway public opinion back toward supporting them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because its normal for them to just fuck everyone.

So many other cops there, but none of them are willing to stop a stupid officer.
View Quote

"Good" cops that do not stop bad cops are bad cops. Cops seem to assume more and more that everyone they encounter is a criminal. How long before people just start assuming every cop they encounter is a bad cop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You are my hero!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are my hero!

Gee, I'm sorry if the real world doesn't work like TV, or wherever it is that people like you get your ideas of how things are done.
Like I said, you do know that the "if you're undercover you have to tell me if I ask" doesn't work either, right.

About this "I'd like to speak to the manager" thing you seem to think exists... if the sergeant responds, and you don't like what he has to say,
do I have to call the lieutenant? The Duty Captain?
How far up the line do you want to go? "Yeah, Central, I'm gonna need the City Wide Tour Commander here, because Tesadorn wants to debate his arrest."  

For fuck's sake, you see shit on "Hill Street Blues" or "9-1-1" and you think it's real.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@UTex86

I'm in the same boat with two toddlers and I'm having a hard time with how to talk to my kids about police these days.  That's even with having Federal, State, and local LEOs in our family.  The really scary part is that those LEO family members feel the same way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

@UTex86

White kids are starting to get "The Talk" these days too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Cops ABUSE Walmart Shopper in front of his Crying Toddler
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@vojta

There is a whole lotta explanation required here.

You would back up your people even when they do something as pants on head retarded as going hands on with someone not providing ID? I was always astonished by the compound stupidity of some of the other officers I worked with.

Particularly so when their only description was, "Brown hair with child" and nothing else?

You have bad case law with your name written all over it if that's the case. I never want *ANY* case law with my name on it anywhere. Maybe you city guys should follow suit there.
View Quote

You took what I wrote and applied it to the scenario at hand, which is understandable.  My cops would not do this.  But, we do have a ton of entitled folks where I work that thin asking for the manager will get them out of a ticket or arrest.  That is not the case.

If you're an asshat, I will discipline and ultimately fire you, if I can do it in the time that you're assigned to me.  I do regular laws of arrest, case law and Terry Stop briefing training.  I assign officers research papers or briefing training presentations if they can't answer my questions satisfactorily. My officers are trained to be able to spit out the RAS when stopping folks.  We have all kinds of, "Am I being detained?" tards in my area.  They are usually upset when they are told that they are, in fact, detained.  I discourage consensual contacts and if I see one of my officers get a case of the ass because someone tells them to fuck off during a consensual contact, we have long, intense discussions about their choice of career. Shitbirds avoid me like the plague.  So, if I pull up and ask, "Why am I here?"  My officer better tell me the reasons for the detention and what's going on.  Usually, it's just a Karen with attitude who doesn't understand the law.  I'm not in the customer service business. I also work in one of the two most police-unfriendly federal court districts in the 9th Circuit.  My folks need to be experts at applying the law while respecting civil rights.  I set a high standard and demand excellence.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Excellent video, and especially that was a nice touch at the 17:53 mark.  

I watched all of both vids, and my opinion is that none of those cops should be in LE for even another single day.

OTOH, I guess it could have been worse.   They could have treated him to a cavity search right there in the parking lot.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You took what I wrote and applied it to the scenario at hand, which is understandable.  My cops would not do this.  But, we do have a ton of entitled folks where I work that thin asking for the manager will get them out of a ticket or arrest.  That is not the case.

If you're an asshat, I will discipline and ultimately fire you, if I can do it in the time that you're assigned to me.  I do regular laws of arrest, case law and Terry Stop briefing training.  I assign officers research papers or briefing training presentations if they can't answer my questions satisfactorily. My officers are trained to be able to spit out the RAS when stopping folks.  We have all kinds of, "Am I being detained?" tards in my area.  They are usually upset when they are told that they are, in fact, detained.  I discourage consensual contacts and if I see one of my officers get a case of the ass because someone tells them to fuck off during a consensual contact, we have long, intense discussions about their choice of career. Shitbirds avoid me like the plague.  So, if I pull up and ask, "Why am I here?"  My officer better tell me the reasons for the detention and what's going on.  Usually, it's just a Karen with attitude who doesn't understand the law.  I'm not in the customer service business. I also work in one of the two most police-unfriendly federal court districts in the 9th Circuit.  My folks need to be experts at applying the law while respecting civil rights.  I set a high standard and demand excellence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@vojta

There is a whole lotta explanation required here.

You would back up your people even when they do something as pants on head retarded as going hands on with someone not providing ID? I was always astonished by the compound stupidity of some of the other officers I worked with.

Particularly so when their only description was, "Brown hair with child" and nothing else?

You have bad case law with your name written all over it if that's the case. I never want *ANY* case law with my name on it anywhere. Maybe you city guys should follow suit there.

Solid explanation.

Good on you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I watched all of both vids, and my opinion is that none of those cops should be in LE for even another single day.

OTOH, I guess it could have been worse.   They could have treated him to a cavity search right there in the parking lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. I wish I could handle that case. I'm pretty jaded, but the sound of his kid crying tears me up. Maybe I can help him from afar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

what good was asking for his ID gonna do?  It's not like they had the name of the drunk driver and could match it to this guy.  Having this guy's name/address isn't gonna help them figure out if he did it.
View Quote

It was already addressed.  They were fishing, he may not be the guy but anyone may have an outstanding warrant.  Just have to ask enough people for ID and eventually they will snag one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cops get a call for a drunk driver, with description of "brown haired guy with 3 year old," and attempt to ID a dude with the 3 year old. Dude knows his rights and refuses. Cops threaten to take his kid and arrest him, and then arrest him and take his kid.

The shocking conclusion: The SGT showed up, actually knows the law, manages to actually do the right thing, and cuts him loose.

8/10 for Jack knowing his rights, but should have called for a supervisor immediately.  To be fair, cops like he was dealing with are NOT going to call a supervisor when asked.  They'll call one on their own god damn time! To call a sup when asked would be to yield power!

2/10 for cops arresting for refusal to ID.

7/10 for SGT correcting the idiocy of his supervised. Yea, except for when he tells the cops to relay the message 'it is best, when asked by a police officer for ID to give it'  That's b.s. What's next, 'when asked to buy a charity raffle ticket by a police officer, it is best to just buy i, or you might get a beating?' Made it seem like the cops were reasonable to request ID then escalate

eta: brown hair and rating for coppers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
15 minutes?

I'll wait for the cliff notes.

Cops get a call for a drunk driver, with description of "brown haired guy with 3 year old," and attempt to ID a dude with the 3 year old. Dude knows his rights and refuses. Cops threaten to take his kid and arrest him, and then arrest him and take his kid.

The shocking conclusion: The SGT showed up, actually knows the law, manages to actually do the right thing, and cuts him loose.

8/10 for Jack knowing his rights, but should have called for a supervisor immediately.  To be fair, cops like he was dealing with are NOT going to call a supervisor when asked.  They'll call one on their own god damn time! To call a sup when asked would be to yield power!

2/10 for cops arresting for refusal to ID.

7/10 for SGT correcting the idiocy of his supervised. Yea, except for when he tells the cops to relay the message 'it is best, when asked by a police officer for ID to give it'  That's b.s. What's next, 'when asked to buy a charity raffle ticket by a police officer, it is best to just buy i, or you might get a beating?' Made it seem like the cops were reasonable to request ID then escalate

eta: brown hair and rating for coppers

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top