Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why in god's name would we WANT higher inflation?
View Quote
Because most people have no savings.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Fed has a mandate to work towards and keeping a 2.00% inflation rate as measured by the real consumer price index. They have failed since that rate has been mandated to meet 2.00% inflation since then.  Inflation this year only showing at .90% through July.

If a cure to high inflation is to raise interest rates, then the opposite is true when you want inflation higher. This is not a surprise that the fed dropped rates and they may go lower those looking to refinance should be able to get in at 3.5% or lower if not now, soon.
View Quote
The mandate is to control inflation but not to keep it 2%+.

Not long ago 2% was the ceiling to stay under(the lower the better), then the "asymmetrical" target(once they could no longer control it in this credit environment), now it's the floor. As inflation rises they'll keep raising the "target".

The whole thing has become a clown show but my 401K likes it, for now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m convinced people are fucking stupid with money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
FIFY.

Reality: I agree and illiterate of monetary history.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The mandate is to control inflation but not to keep it 2%+.

Not long ago 2% was the ceiling to stay under(the lower the better), then the "asymmetrical" target(once they could no longer control it in this credit environment), now it's the floor. As inflation rises they'll keep raising the "target".

The whole thing has become a clown show but my 401K likes it, for now.
View Quote
The Fed has a long term goal of 2% inflation, as per the mandate at the link below.  All I was saying was that because they were below that running target and long term goal of 2% inflation, the move to lower rates was expected if you were watching the inflation numbers coming out at below 1% expected through July.

What are the Federal Reserve's objectives in conducting monetary policy?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
T should have gone up given this announcement, but instead was down 1% at closing.  Strange indeed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At which point you take all your money out of the bank and stash it somewhere. No reason to pay the bank to hold more money than you need them to (and pay them for the privilege).
View Quote
Your company pays you via electronic deposit.  Unless your employer pays you in cash, you can’t do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure if I can beat my 3.7 fixed rate VA loan.
View Quote
I got 3.49 fixed, so you can. Is it worth it? That’s another question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m not surprised by the announcement (as you said, everyone knew this was coming).

I am surprised that they decided to do it in the first place.
View Quote
It was doomed from the start. Trump has played the markets like a fiddle and the market buy every freaking tweet. Honestly it was funny at first but it’s almost sad now when you realize how easily the pros are manipulated. The Fed never pushed back hard enough from the start with all of this. Because of that, now all they can do is try and slow down the train with no brakes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Fed has a mandate to work towards and keeping a 2.00% inflation rate as measured by the real consumer price index. They have failed since that rate has been mandated to meet 2.00% inflation since then.  Inflation this year only showing at .90% through July.

If a cure to high inflation is to raise interest rates, then the opposite is true when you want inflation higher. This is not a surprise that the fed dropped rates and they may go lower those looking to refinance should be able to get in at 3.5% or lower if not now, soon.
View Quote
Once again, it all comes down to mix. If you have to pay for college or are paying for health insurance on your own, 2% is laughable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure if I can beat my 3.7 fixed rate VA loan.
View Quote
I'd assume someone has already answered, but yes.  You can.

If it is worth it is a different question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure is nice that morgage ryes, auto loans, and credit card rates don’t go down.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Japan is a good study....they basically had the same thing we had in the 90s instead of the 2000s.

We are just 10-20 years behind them....there are a tremendous amount a parallels to be drawn
View Quote
Japan is the test bed for the Worlds monetary policy since WW2. They test it there first to see if they can get away with it. So far they have so that will be our future too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was doomed from the start. Trump has played the markets like a fiddle and the market buy every freaking tweet. Honestly it was funny at first but it’s almost sad now when you realize how easily the pros are manipulated. The Fed never pushed back hard enough from the start with all of this. Because of that, now all they can do is try and slow down the train with no brakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not surprised by the announcement (as you said, everyone knew this was coming).

@NorCalRT

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. After Jerome Powel's speech and Trump's tweet the market barely registered a blip. 1 to 1.3% down and then corrected by the close nearly level or level with the open for the day on the Dow, Nasdaq etc. Didn't bother with the exact numbers because its nothing in the overall spectrum. My .02.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sure is nice that morgage ryes, auto loans, and credit card rates don’t go down.
View Quote
Those aren’t tied to fed rates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@midcap
Do our differences matter?
Immigration.
Culture of accepting wide amounts of diversity including destructive behavior.
Others?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame Trump for lowered interest rates and cheap money.

Study Japan and the Japanese reaction.  It's one reason why the Japanese have bought a lot of home safes and gold.
Japan is a good study....they basically had the same thing we had in the 90s instead of the 2000s.

We are just 10-20 years behind them....there are a tremendous amount a parallels to be drawn
@midcap
Immigration.
Others?
The biggest difference is that as Americans we like to show off and make bank.

That's sort of uniquely american.

Every where else, sure there are people out there that are the small minority that are like that, here...everyone wants to be a baller.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every where else, sure there are people out there that are the small minority that are like that, here...everyone wants to be a baller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Study Japan and the Japanese reaction.  It's one reason why the Japanese have bought a lot of home safes and gold.

@midcap
Immigration.
Others?

You have a lot of good insights @midcap I'm curious do you think America could ever get to the point of the EU, Japan, etc... to have negative interest rates?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You have a lot of good insights @midcap I'm curious do you think America could ever get to the point of the EU, Japan, etc... to have negative interest rates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@midcap
Immigration.
Others?

It entirely depends.....keep in mind, that you could technically make money by buying a German Bund despite it being negative if the exchange rate goes into your favor.

But you really need to see why our rates would go negative...that would mean that things are so bad, the Fed would want people to not buy treasuries and and buy riskier assets.

it could happen...I am not sure if it will.

I am also not sure why the Fed is even lowering rates right now.

The Fed has two mandates...low unemployment and not letting inflation get out of hand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#20]
For a dumb person who wants to buy some land, what's the consensus?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
you gonna pay cash or finance?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It entirely depends.....keep in mind, that you could technically make money by buying a German Bund despite it being negative if the exchange rate goes into your favor.

But you really need to see why our rates would go negative...that would mean that things are so bad, the Fed would want people to not buy treasuries and and buy riskier assets.

The Fed has two mandates...low unemployment and not letting inflation get out of hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@midcap
Immigration.
Others?

Good points there @midcap

One needs to research Forex and the global economy for longer than I care to know before thinking of currancy exchange for profit. And of course that brings up GOLD which may well be the
Darling to save everyone's ass in the longterm. Once everyone has paid off everything and owes nothing other than utility bills and whatever medical insurance we end up with outside of medicare
etc...
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

One needs to research Forex and the global economy for longer than I care to know before thinking of currancy exchange for profit. And of course that brings up GOLD which may well be the
Darling to save everyone's ass in the longterm. Once everyone has paid off everything and owes nothing other than utility bills and whatever medical insurance we end up with outside of medicare
etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@midcap
Immigration.
Others?

etc...
Gold has always been gold. so it has that going for it I suppose.

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is that even when everything is paid off...you still have to worry about the local govt coming in and taking your property.

Let's say our dollar goes to pot, and it's not worth much, I don't think the local goverments are just going to sit there and accept 50% on the tax dollar.

They are going to raise taxes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could pay cash.  I'm looking at 40-80 acres.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is that even when everything is paid off...you still have to worry about the local govt coming in and taking your property.

Let's say our dollar goes to pot, and it's not worth much, I don't think the local goverments are just going to sit there and accept 50% on the tax dollar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@midcap
Immigration.
Others?

etc...

They are going to raise taxes, just did in my County this year. My old property tax on my house and land was $830 or so, next yr is $1250 or so in rough numbers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

T should have gone up given this announcement, but instead was down 1% at closing.  Strange indeed.
View Quote
T needs to articulate some sort of business plan.  So far it's like "we're into communications and stuff" - - that's not exactly a recipe for success.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
St Louis president said it should have been a larger 0.5% cut.
https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2019/september/bullard-explains-recent-fomc-dissent
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
St Louis president said it should have been a larger 0.5% cut.
https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2019/september/bullard-explains-recent-fomc-dissent
View Quote
Buckle up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s counterintuitive, but there are several valid reasons:
1. It’s not what “we” want, it’s what the Fed, or Government wants.
2. Cheaper dollar spurs exports.   US made stuff becomes cheaper relative to other currencies.
3. Declining dollar value encourages borrowing and discourages saving.   Both of which increase the all important velocity of money.
4. A low interest rate, cheap dollar, encourages speculative behavior.    People throw money into houses, cars, the Market (it’s the only game in town)   All of which juices the economy and also makes people feel richer, further encouraging more spending.

The above has been going on for so long, and inflated everything so much, that they literally cannot stop, unless (or until) they want to see the whole thing come crashing down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can't answer that but I hope there is a revolution and the commies are gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Effects from the trade war.

China devalued the yuan, this rate cut will just make it worse on them as their temporary export bump will be erased when money becomes cheaper to invest here. Don't know what will happen with export countries other than China.

This is a trade war of value attrition and eventual inflation. I just wonder at what point does China's economy eventually comes off the rails? What they will do? Will they whimper into depression or lash out by going full communist Great Leap forward and start acting stupid regionally?
Can't answer that but I hope there is a revolution and the commies are gone.
How does that happen when the peasants haven't got the MEANS to make the commies go away?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised by the announcement (as you said, everyone knew this was coming).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@DK-Prof
@Admiral_Crunch

Why are you guys surprised? Powel and most importantly the market has telegraphed the rate cut.
I'm not surprised by the announcement (as you said, everyone knew this was coming).  
Same here.  It just doesn't seem necessary or warranted.  Knew it was probably coming, but it just didn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you met the [select]?

a - French
b - Italians
c - Chinese
d - Indians
e - Jordanians
f - Qatari
g - Saudis
h - Kuwaiti
i - Russian
j - Israeli
k - Dubai anyone?

I could go on.  If you spent any time among urban populations, you will know that your statement is 100% inaccurate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Keynesians want it.  The theory is inflation is good where there is growth. Trouble is, we've had no real growth and the numbers are massage. Trouble no kenysian ever figured out the cumulative effect of 2% for thirty years.
While I disagree with his conclusions, Harry Dent does cover it in one of his demographic books, The Demographic Cliff.

BTW, a long time ago Peter Schiff warned that once they go down the path of QE and NIRP, there's no turning back.  It works until it won't work at which point you hyperinflate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The doomed keeps posting.

The number one role of fed is controlling inflation and avoiding deflation. The fed is doing its job and maintaining inflation while avoiding deflation.
View Quote
Nope.  The #1 job of the fed is to make a profit for its member banks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
So are the Central Banks, but their stupid is a profitable one.  In the end, they are seeking total control (think Bourne when his ATM cards don't work).
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you look at real inflation (John Williams' ShadowStats), we've been at NIRP.  Perception Management is great in this country.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
It better be income producing (rent, farm, water rights or huge tax writeoff).  Otherwise it's a drain on your financial capital.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Amazing how the "greatest economy we have ever had" is utterly crippled by a 2% interest rate to the point where the POTUS is begging for negative rates and QE, compared to the 1980s and 1990s when rates were in the 7-10% range before moderating to the 5-6% range by the late 1990s.

Anyone who can't see we have an America bubble that will make 08 look like Child's play is kidding themselves.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How does that happen when the peasants haven't got the MEANS to make the commies go away?
View Quote
Remember the fall of the Soviet Union?  When the police could no longer control the masses the Army was called out.  The Army refused to leave the barracks.  The government knew it was over.

In Romania, the police and the military fired into the unarmed crowd. The crowd still walked towards the muzzle.  People were dropping left and right and the crowd finally reached the muzzles of the police and soldiers.  At that point, the police and soldiers lost heart and could no longer shoot down their countrymen.  At that point, it was over.  I met a Romanian woman who was there.  They were all younger people (late teens, early 20's) who figured out they had no future and thus nothing to lose.

Remember the fall of Mubarak in Egypt?  Unarmed crowd.  About the best they had were lasers and they painted the helicopers with them.

Remember Hong Kong.  They're still protesting.

Remember France?  Guilet Juane (Yellow Vest) movement is still happening.  Our news hasn't reported on it, but it's also spread to other European nations.

Gonna be a lot of blood, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
That only exacerbates it for the poor.  They can buy less with what little they can beg, borrow or steal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most people mistake currency for money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the Fed Chairs recently said the Fed should do everything it can to ensure that Trump isn't reelected.  If that isn't biased, I don't know what is.

End the Fed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember the fall of the Soviet Union?  When the police could no longer control the masses the Army was called out.  The Army refused to leave the barracks.  The government knew it was over.

In Romania, the police and the military fired into the unarmed crowd. The crowd still walked towards the muzzle.  People were dropping left and right and the crowd finally reached the muzzles of the police and soldiers.  At that point, the police and soldiers lost heart and could no longer shoot down their countrymen.  At that point, it was over.  I met a Romanian woman who was there.  They were all younger people (late teens, early 20's) who figured out they had no future and thus nothing to lose.

Remember the fall of Mubarak in Egypt?  Unarmed crowd.  About the best they had were lasers and they painted the helicopers with them.

Remember France?  Guilet Juane (Yellow Vest) movement is still happening.  Our news hasn't reported on it, but it's also spread to other European nations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yellow Vests are not exactly pro-freedom / market.

I'd say they lean more towards socialism than not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yellow Vest is a coalition of left and right which united together against the gas tax increase and later globalism.  It is anti-Macron.  If you're getting your information from the MSM including Faux, you're being lied to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yellow Vest is a coalition of left and right which united together against the gas tax increase and later globalism.  It is anti-Macron.  If you're getting your information from the MSM including Faux, you're being lied to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PARIS—The French government is weighing whether to reinstate a wealth tax, a key demand of yellow vest protesters who accuse President Emmanuel Macron of favoring the rich over the working class.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/france-could-keep-wealth-tax-in-bid-to-placate-yellow-vests-1544025588

So, that is propaganda?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#46]
We have an economy that can not stand on its own 2 feet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#47]
You know Rupert Murdoch owns the WSJ, don't you?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lol

Post some of the sources then to use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Welcome to an economy that is predicated on financial idiocy. Gotta keep enabling financial retards to make retarded financial decisions with borrowed money, otherwise those consumer spending numbers aren't gonna be pretty... God forbid we discourage reckless borrowing on the personal and governmental levels via higher interest rates.
View Quote
You seem to get it.

Using other people's money to buy depreciating items is for fools. But most people are fools with money....
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol

Post some of the sources then to use.
View Quote
There are lefties in GJ.  What Murdoch's wants us to believe is that it is pure left.  Remember, it's a coalition against Macron and his globalist EU policies.  Murdoch also owns Faux.  If you didn't already know, since Bubba's presidency 90% of all MSM is owned by a mere six corporations.  So the news you get from Faux is only controlled opposition.

Suggest you go find some independent news source on U-tube.  Follow the financial news instead.

My point behind mentioning GJ is that tyrannies can be overthrown.  The people must want it enough and be willing to sacrifice.  Here in estados unidos there is pretty much a blackout about it.

But we don't have to turn to Europe for examples of the people pushing back.  That brief moment at the Bundy Ranch where the cowboys stood off against federal agents is another good example.  We learned afterwards it was all about Hairy Reed trying to get land for a Chinese solar project.  I'm glad the Feds backed down and avoided Concord/Lexington Pas Deux.  It did make the statists more desperate to disarm the deplorables.

On the lesser scale, the election of Trump was a rejection of establishment politicians.  Neither party wanted hi and nothing has changed since his ascendancy to the presidency.  Both still want him out.  After all, there is only one party but it has two faces like a coin; obverse and reverse.  Just like the Fourth Estate with its controlled opposition.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top