Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The battery is the fuel and oxidizer.  You don't put it out.  It's going to burn.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just massively increase insurance premiums on EVs. And folks that have Tesla Walls
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sand melts at 2500 degrees, lithium burns at 3500. so you just made molten sand...
View Quote
Sell the glass when its done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Until we get away from needing a gigantic battery to storage and feed power to the electric motors we are kind of screwed.  Some sort of grid system needs to be built into the roadways that powers the cars allowing a much smaller battery to be required onboard for off grid driving.  Batteries are the Achilles heel of the EV they limit range, increase weight making the car dangerously overweight, and are just a danger all around.
View Quote

Few hundred billion should take care of that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The only option I've seen that had a chance in hell of cooling the actual damaged cells in the battery to stop the thermal runaway was a spike that you placed under the vehicle that pierced up into the battery pack and flowed water directly into it.

ETA: here's a video
Rosenbauer Battery Extinguishing System Technology (BEST)
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How about a parking garage under an apartment building ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve had this talk around the firehouse table numerous times.  EV fire are challenging to say the least.  

My worst case scenario is we burn down an entire block of houses in a neighborhood because a car fire in a garage (that we can’t put out easily) will quickly spread to houses that were already built way to close to each other.

Yes that would also suck.  The good news, we don’t have to worry about that too much in my county yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Protect exposures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve had this talk around the firehouse table numerous times.  EV fire are challenging to say the least.  

My worst case scenario is we burn down an entire block of houses in a neighborhood because a car fire in a garage (that we can’t put out easily) will quickly spread to houses that were already built way to close to each other.

Protect exposures.

Yes.  Water supply will be an issue.  Most of our county relies on tankers and EV’s can burn for hours/take MASSIVE amounts of water to fully extinguish.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Going to need more John Wayne up in here:

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

sand melts at 2500 degrees, lithium burns at 3500. so you just made molten sand...

Some sort of smother device (think giant hemisphere that errects on both sides of fire then you push it together effectivly denying air to the whole shebang and keep it in place until temps drop(couple HOURS) woudl be my guess as to most viable but that would be logistically difficult
View Quote

So it could melt the road?  Probably not an issue if you can pull off to the side but stopped on a bridge or overpass could get very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why don’t they keep a dump truck full of sand at the fire station, they get a call for an EV wreck, roll the dump truck with the rest of the responding vehicles.

Dump sand on fire, extinguish/contain
View Quote

Because the sand truck would be at the supermarket doing grocery runs for the boys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This forum is full of liberals who care more about safety than freedom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only option I've seen that had a chance in hell of cooling the actual damaged cells in the battery to stop the thermal runaway was a spike that you placed under the vehicle that pierced up into the battery pack and flowed water directly into it.

ETA: here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIAb3XgYVY
View Quote

How do you get close enough to deploy it? A 3200 degree fire would need some stand off distance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because the sand truck would be at the supermarket doing grocery runs for the boys.
View Quote

The sand truck is at the supermarket so that the crew can respond directly to sand emergencies that come in while getting the groceries.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don’t they keep a dump truck full of sand at the fire station, they get a call for an EV wreck, roll the dump truck with the rest of the responding vehicles.

Well yeah, it makes the most sense to send the least busiest rig to the store for grocery runs.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
EV Thread

Luckily EV's are less likely to catch on fire than ICE....just harder to put out.
View Quote

Really?  How many ICE spontaneous combust just sitting there in the parking garage?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m retired now, so not my headache, but I found this page with some interesting possibilities.

Apparently the Navy has developed a copper based agent for extinguishing Lithium fires, graphite works as well. Application by low pressure argon( nitrogen is reactive) or manually via shovel.

https://www.amerex-fire.com/upl/downloads/tech-tips/class-d-fire-fighting-agents-937ba832.pdf

Seems expensive…
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Few hundred billion should take care of that.
View Quote

I did not say there was a good solution.  Just the giant push for EV before all the infrastructure is even planned out and starting to be built was stupid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really?  How many ICE spontaneous combust just sitting there in the parking garage?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EV Thread

Luckily EV's are less likely to catch on fire than ICE....just harder to put out.

Here is an article based on NTSB data.

https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/gas-vs-electric-car-fires/
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m retired now, so not my headache, but I found this page with some interesting possibilities.

Apparently the Navy has developed a copper based agent for extinguishing Lithium fires, graphite works as well. Application by low pressure argon( nitrogen is reactive) or manually via shovel.

https://www.amerex-fire.com/upl/downloads/tech-tips/class-d-fire-fighting-agents-937ba832.pdf

Seems expensive…
View Quote

Expensive is relative though ... If it cost X amount of gallons of water, firefighter time/overtime, injuries of firefighters, equipment needing more frequent maintenance, and firefighter health effects from dealing with this stuff it might be worth the investment.  I bet there are some big cost we are not seeing or aware of in them fighting the way they are now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You what is worse than an EV fire? An EV fire with a Cocaine Bear!
https://media.tenor.com/W6RtI6ChrooAAAAC/bear-fire.gif
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
JFC

If you hate EVs that much, maybe just don’t buy one?

But nope, we have to have brand new anti-EV threads every single day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
There is no putting out the fire, the only thing you can do is contain until it depletes itself.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sounds like the molten sand would do a good job of blocking oxygen. Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
View Quote
Mmmmm, mmmm good! I can see the blown glass  bubbles peppering the fire men.
Are those jackets rated for lava?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
JFC

If you hate EVs that much, maybe just don’t buy one?

But nope, we have to have brand new anti-EV threads every single day.
View Quote

Uhhhh…so lithium ion fires aren’t that big of a deal?  Lol at you.

This isn’t an anti EV thread so much as a concern about the real hazards of the batteries we use in them.

But go bury your head in the sand.  Maybe it’ll cool you down a bit.  It won’t work on EV fires, though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This forum is full of liberals who care more about safety than freedom.
View Quote

This is true.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I believe lithium batteries provide fuel and oxidizer. Not sure you can stop that.
View Quote

Exactly what I was wondering. SOL really if there is an oxidizer onboard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The apt buildings I am building in DC has a closed in on 3 sides area for charging electric cars in the under ground garage. It also has a direct vent to the outside like a chimney and several extra sprinkler heads over the area with a dedicated floor drain.

They seem to be expecting it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Meanwhile the entire fucking freeway is shut down for hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This or just let it burn and contain.

Bill the commie that owned the EV the resulting costs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Uhhhh…so lithium ion fires aren’t that big of a deal?  Lol at you.

This isn’t an anti EV thread so much as a concern about the real hazards of the batteries we use in them.

But go bury your head in the sand.  Maybe it’ll cool you down a bit.  It won’t work on EV fires, though.

View Quote

So how long will it be before someone purposely shorts one , turning it into an VBIED?

Sounds like it would be fubar in an enclosed area.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Rule of thumb.  Hold your thumb up at arms length, if thumb won't completely block fire, you are too close.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So how long will it be before someone purposely shorts one , turning it into an VBIED?

Sounds like it would be fubar in an enclosed area.
View Quote

Sounds like a job for Thermite!

Seriously, that would be bone simple.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rule of thumb.  Hold your thumb up at arms length, if thumb won't completely block fire, you are too close.
View Quote

An excellent metric for ALL hazmat incidents.

Stand back and allow the green & blue canaries to determine the need for safety zones.

Sorry fellows , but it’s true…
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Could you just use the water to protect the surrounding objects and just let it burn?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? They're not even paying the excise tax on gas to maintain said highway. Or maybe they can forfeit the $7500 tax credit when they buy a new one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Stand back and allow the green & blue canaries to determine the need for safety zones.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget uphill and upwind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As a former squid firefighter, I was always a fan of PKP.
View Quote

Ah yes...Purple K.

All over the ramp at both MCAS El Toro and LAX....

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pro Tip: Water makes metals like lithium explode.
View Quote
@DragoMuseveni

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2021_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

"USE WATER TO FIGHT A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FIRE. If the battery catches
fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of
water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000-8,000 gallons
(11,356-30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish
and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply
early. If water is not immediately available, use CO2, dry chemicals, or another
typical fire-extinguishing agent to fight the fire until water is available"
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just carry a long metal pole with a hook.  Grab vehicle and tow it where it can burn in peace.
View Quote

Is that before or after the bodies are extracted?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sounds like the molten sand would do a good job of blocking oxygen. Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
View Quote
Tesla under glass?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#43]
In the chemical production industry we used lime.  You just shovel some over the fire, put the new guy on fire watch, and go take lunch.

Normally with metal fires you remove the oxygen but I'm not sure that is possible with the chemistry inside of these batteries.  I did acids and toxics mostly so the metals/pyrophorics aren't my specialty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what the plebs want.

Give it to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
EV Thread

Of the 1,085,800 fire risk recalls to gas cars only 2,800 were due to the fuel system(leak). Everything else was electrical.

All EV fires risk recalls were due to the battery.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's almost like EVs were rushed to the market without knowing all the pitfalls.
View Quote

EVs have been around for over 100 years. "rushed to market" is a bit of a streach.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, add a portable folding containment wall around the vehicle to aid in that situation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

molten sand = glass ? ??

Some sort of smother device (think giant hemisphere that errects on both sides of fire then you push it together effectivly denying air to the whole shebang and keep it in place until temps drop(couple HOURS) woudl be my guess as to most viable but that would be logistically difficult

Just because it is burning that hot for a moment, doesn't mean that the entire area of burning car is a concentrated 3500 degrees.  It's not a matter of how hot the fire is burning, but whether it can heat the sand, in quantity, up to a dangerous temperature.  You'd need the burning car in a giant smelter to get molten sand, even then, you'd still just smother it.  Li batteries can be smothered with sand, it's already proven, it would work for bigger ones.  You're still removing oxygen, and the sand itself would have a cooling effect.  But whether that is practical for fighting car fires is the question.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EV Thread

My son had a 90s vintage Lexus that had a spontaneous fire sitting in the driveway. It had something to do with drizzle, chafed wiring and a leaky fuel filter/line so the firefighters said.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top