BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If anyone has been paying attention to something other than the local news weather people, it is tracking to hit just west of Houston, and my guess it will eat up the warmer water and hit landfall as a Cat 2 Hurricane. If it slows down it could be really bad. This thing..hasn't been operating like a normal hurricane would. The tracks early on are pure shit and have been for about 2 days now.

Not looking forward to no power for a week or more if thats the case down here. Yuck. And its 100 degrees.
View Quote

Listen to this video from 11:55-13:20. I've been listening to this guy for years. I've never heard him say anything remotely close to this before. He isn't thinking "normal" either.   Definitely got my attention.
Video is from 7/5.

WARNING! Hurricane Beryl Turns North & Will Intensify!
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]

The fun part is that those storms in TX are hanging around due to them working slowly E to W.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wife and I were talking about this earlier. It was dead calm this morning before the storms we had roll through, now its dead calm again. Not even a breeze to storms the leaves, very eerie
View Quote

Every time this happens it reminds me of just how massive hurricanes are, affecting things hundreds of miles away.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Humidity is getting brutal today but the storm through League City cooled things off a bit finally.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in northwest Houston.  I have my two generators, propane and gas, and plenty of food and water.

But I still haven't gotten my damn 50amp outlet and interlock installed yet.  Been trying to get on the electricians schedule.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just got some serious thunderstorms here.  It's still now, but definitely wasn't an hour ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/image_2024-07-06_170439369-3259872.png

Well it was that blob on the coast that is probably headed toward you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in northwest Houston.  I have my two generators, propane and gas, and plenty of food and water.

But I still haven't gotten my damn 50amp outlet and interlock installed yet.  Been trying to get on the electricians schedule.
View Quote

I'm in Northwest Houston as well and don't have any of that so you are doing better than me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I will say, that wind field looks pretty organized for something they say still hasn't reorganized

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm in Northwest Houston as well and don't have any of that so you are doing better than me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't cost much to get a little prepped.  A small 2k inverter will power quite a bit and keep things going.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Local sams is a madhouse and out of water
View Quote

I was at the H-E-B about 10:30 and they were busy but not packed. Normally I don’t shop at 10a on a Saturday so I have nothing to compare it with. The water isle was a little low but not out of stock. I have plenty of water but needed bread and they were very low on stock. I am more than an hour west of Houston.

In what general area is the Sam’s? I could see stores close to the coast getting hit hard. Resupply might be an issue for the stores here. We may get a lot of rain but shoukd be fine. This is my first year as a homeowner in the area but I have family who have lived here for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Hurricane Harvey gave us 60 inches and TS Imelda gave us 44 inches literally and figuratively

Interstate 10 during Harvey

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just got some serious thunderstorms here.  It's still now, but definitely wasn't an hour ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/image_2024-07-06_170439369-3259872.png
Yeah got caught in a rain storm while riding 50 miles today...the last 10 in the rain is never fun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was at the H-E-B about 10:30 and they were busy but not packed. Normally I don’t shop at 10a on a Saturday so I have nothing to compare it with. The water isle was a little low but not out of stock. I have plenty of water but needed bread and they were very low on stock. I am more than an hour west of Houston.

In what general area is the Sam’s? I could see stores close to the coast getting hit hard. Resupply might be an issue for the stores here. We may get a lot of rain but shoukd be fine. This is my first year as a homeowner in the area but I have family who have lived here for 20+ years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

La Marque, Galveston county.

It was interesting because yesterday, the handful of people I talked to at least, had no knowledge of there even being a storm. Walmart and aldi had plenty of water and were a little busier than normal but not much. Ramen was almost non existent at one Walmart but pretty well stocked at a second. I think a lot of people went to sleep on it because of the barrage of forecasts showing Mexico/south Texas
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
When we bought our house three years ago, one of the important conditions was its status during the Harvey and Imelda floods.

Confirmed water never came to the doorsteps.  (checks box)

During both those floods were were in our prior townhouse.

A neighbor and I worked together to prevent trucks from driving down our street because for three blocks water was at people's doorsteps.

One wake would have flooded dozens of houses who otherwise would've remained dry.  

Only had to deal with one hopplehead.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
no change

7:00 PM CDT Sat Jul 6
Moving: NW at 13 mph
Min pressure: 997 mb
Max sustained: 60 mph

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* The Texas coast from Baffin Bay northward to Sargent

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* The Texas coast south of Baffin Bay to the mouth of the Rio Grande River
* The Texas coast north of Sargent to San Luis Pass

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* The Texas coast south of Baffin Bay to the mouth of the Rio Grande River
* The Texas coast north of Sargent to High Island
* The northeastern coast of mainland Mexico from Barra el Mezquital to the mouth of the Rio Grande River

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* North Entrance of the Padre Island National Seashore to High Island, including Corpus Christi Bay, Matagorda Bay, and Galveston Bay

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* The Texas coast from the mouth of the Rio Grande River northward to North Entrance of the Padre Island National Seashore
* San Luis Pass to Sabine Pass, including Galveston Bay

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When we bought our house three years ago, one of the important conditions was its status during the Harvey and Imelda floods.

A neighbor and I worked together to prevent trucks from driving down our street because for three blocks water was at people's doorsteps.

One wake would have flooded dozens of houses who otherwise would've remained dry.  

View Quote

We had water up to our doorstep and into the garage (cut lower than our sil) during Harvey.  Several people in our hood got water in their house due to boat wakes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It was interesting because yesterday, the handful of people I talked to at least, had no knowledge of there even being a storm. Walmart and aldi had plenty of water and were a little busier than normal but not much. Ramen was almost non existent at one Walmart but pretty well stocked at a second. I think a lot of people went to sleep on it because of the barrage of forecasts showing Mexico/south Texas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know someone  who works  for Sugar Land utilities. Normally they have people on call over the weekend and he was scheduled off this week. They are working 12 hour shifts starting Sunday. He has pastime custody of his son and will be bringing him back to his mom on Sunday. His mom lives about an hour inland. They are predicting heavy rain by her home but they are well inland.

This is my first year here when a hurricane was even close. Stay safe. All I know is to stock up on milk, bread, eags, pop tarts and beer. I have that covered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
convection is dying down

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know someone  who works  for Sugar Land utilities. Normally they have people on call over the weekend and he was scheduled off this week. They are working 12 hour shifts starting Sunday. He has pastime custody of his son and will be bringing him back to his mom on Sunday. His mom lives about an hour inland. They are predicting heavy rain by her home but they are well inland.

This is my first year here when a hurricane was even close. Stay safe. All I know is to stock up on milk, bread, eags, pop tarts and beer. I have that covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got friends in Rosenberg, needville, sargent, and Bellville, I expect they'll all get hit harder than us unless something wild happens.

I'm good on preps but what sucks is i just started a new job this week that is back working outdoors and weather dependent. I don't need a week off work
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Eyewall is restructuring and the upper and lower levels are realigning (i think it has been kind of offset all day) plus getting later in the day.

Eye shifted a little further south, but restructuring with the storms back on the right side where they should be. Potentially gives more time before "official" landfall, but could also signal coming intensification
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m in Katy and I just hope the power stays on.  We are supposed to go on vacation in MS on Tuesday, leaving the dog and cats here for a neighbor to check on. If the power is out I don’t plan on leaving until it is.  I’ll have some disappointed kids if we can’t go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

@doc540

Would these have helped?

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@doc540

Would these have helped?

www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3M6RJC
View Quote

not sure, but the front area of our townhouse was narrow

turned out good for everyone in our three block area

no water over the doorsills

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've got friends in Rosenberg, needville, sargent, and Bellville, I expect they'll all get hit harder than us unless something wild happens.

I'm good on preps but what sucks is i just started a new job this week that is back working outdoors and weather dependent. I don't need a week off work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unexpected week off  without pay is a problem. I hope your work is not down for a day let alone a week.

I just had my second cataract surgery on Wednesday in Sugar Land. I am glad it is over and I don’t have to go back there for follow up visits. My sister drove me and has taken me shopping. She has blood tests scheduled for Monday in College Station. I hope the storm holds off until Monday afternoon. At this point I don’t feel comfortable driving that far or I would take her. I know she can drive herself but I don’t like the idea of her being caught in a storm.  Her husband will almost certainly go to work. It would be nice if the rain held off until late afternoon. I guess it is too much to ask that it miss all of us.

Everyone stay safe. Do take unnecessary chances. As an old Bit Scout I will remind you of our motto. Be Prepared. That is good advice to follow.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@doc540

Would these have helped?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@doc540

Would these have helped?

A lot of houses in the burbs here are brick facade.  Lots of dummies during Harvey were duct taping up their doors and frames while water poured through their weep holes.  

Those would work but you would need a lot to damn off your house.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was living in Lafayette, La in 2016 when we received 26" rain in a day and a half from a supposedly "non-tropical" system .  House took in about a foot.  Along with a shitload of others.  After going through that I can earnestly say that I would rather the home burn down.  Floods SUCK.  That pic of I-10 always blows my mind BTW.  I remember praying that Harvey would leave us alone as we had just moved back in from the '16 flood.

ETA Part of the many reasons we relocated here was to avoid the tropical drama.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Beryl is a pathetic piece of tropical garbage.  We desperately need a hurricane in south/central tx to refill all our drained reservoir and lakes.  Sorry bastard turned north and east

P
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Beryl is a pathetic piece of tropical garbage.  We desperately need a hurricane in south/central tx to refill all our drained reservoir and lakes.  Sorry bastard turned north and east

P
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

An unexpected week off  without pay is a problem. I hope your work is not down for a day let alone a week.

I just had my second cataract surgery on Wednesday in Sugar Land. I am glad it is over and I don’t have to go back there for follow up visits. My sister drove me and has taken me shopping. She has blood tests scheduled for Monday in College Station. I hope the storm holds off until Monday afternoon. At this point I don’t feel comfortable driving that far or I would take her. I know she can drive herself but I don’t like the idea of her being caught in a storm.  Her husband will almost certainly go to work. It would be nice if the rain held off until late afternoon. I guess it is too much to ask that it miss all of us.

Everyone stay safe. Do take unnecessary chances. As an old Bit Scout I will remind you of our motto. Be Prepared. That is good advice to follow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya it sucks man but thats life on the coast. Monday could be a whole different animal for a lot of people and I pray you and your sister will be able to work it out
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Friendswood H-E-B. Yesterday completely stocked no limit for cases of water. I went back I today for fresh fruit and veggies and nearly all the water was gone, they had put limit signs up. Most of the milk was gone as well. Costco in Webster yesterday had a hit but not really bad.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's retarded about that???
Would have come ashore as a tropical storm, moved up west of San Antonio bring several inches of much needed rain to a drought stricken area.
Now he's going to be a cat 1-2 in a area that does not need the rain or the head/heart ache.

P
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would have come ashore as a tropical storm, moved up west of San Antonio bring several inches of much needed rain to a drought stricken area.
Now he's going to be a cat 1-2 in a area that does not need the rain or the head/heart ache.

P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why your post came off as retarded
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Bro how tone deaf can you be?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ya it sucks man but thats life on the coast. Monday could be a whole different animal for a lot of people and I pray you and your sister will be able to work it out
View Quote

Thank you. I home everything works out for you.

Everyone be careful and don’t take unnecessary risks. Watch out for family and friends.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#36]
It's mostly going to be a rain event with little wind damage.
Flooding from a tropical storm is worse than wind damage if the conditions make the storm stall over your AO.
Tropical Storm Fay did immense damage to Florida because it hung around for 3-4 days because it stalled.

Beryl is going to barrel ass out of Texas, but the states NE of that may get hammered with lots of rain.
They always slow down after making landfall, if it stops then that's the time to be nervous.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

check you pm's here
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/flood_9_9_19a-3260001.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@doc540

Would these have helped?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/flood_9_9_19a-3260001.jpg
Crazy to me that people have dry grass but flooded cars.

I grew up around big rivers that liked to flood, and knowing where the high spots on the land where you could safely leave tractors and trucks was key.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#39]
now the pressure is starting to drop

10:00 PM CDT Sat Jul 6
Min pressure: 993 mb
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
now the pressure is starting to drop

10:00 PM CDT Sat Jul 6
Min pressure: 993 mb
View Quote

Yep, but tomorrow it will be a Cat 1. Might not have the time to get to 2, but who knows.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@doc540

Would these have helped?

View Quote

Not for salt water, so probably effective against flooding from rain, but not from surge
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

P
View Quote

Move to a wetter county maybe?

I've never experienced it but anytime I travel in central Texas/ hill country,  I notice the dry creek beds.

At some time those were ravaged with flash floods. That's what you want?

Retarded.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's mostly going to be a rain event with little wind damage.
Flooding from a tropical storm is worse than wind damage if the conditions make the storm stall over your AO.
Tropical Storm Fay did immense damage to Florida because it hung around for 3-4 days because it stalled.

Beryl is going to barrel ass out of Texas, but the states NE of that may get hammered with lots of rain.
They always slow down after making landfall, if it stops then that's the time to be nervous.
View Quote

Said it earlier in not so many words. I could care less if it's a lot of wind. Well not care less but too much rain ?

Yeah flooding is a lot worse.  I've been on both sides and in between.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Cypress area. Our little rain storm today had water up and over the curb and into the yard. Anxious to see what Beryl will bring. Went to H-E-B (Tuckerton & Fry) late this morning, mainly just to look around, and they seemed to have plenty of everything. I grabbed some more supplies just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#45]
The center of the projected track is about 2 to 3 miles east of my house and hasn't moved much all day. The winds are projected to be 50 something to 73 mph here, we have trees on both sides of the house and we're in a low spot. We have a motel room rented for a couple days.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#46]
With the 1:00am update the track hasn't shifted at all.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
With the 1:00am update the track hasn't shifted at all.
View Quote

Is this thing hitting brazoria county?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Is this thing hitting brazoria county?
View Quote

As of now it is projected to hit west of us , but who really knows where it actually will come ashore .
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Well everyone in the path stay safe.  Hope those that need rain get some, hope those that don't get as little as possible.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well everyone in the path stay safe.  Hope those that need rain get some, hope those that don't get as little as possible.
View Quote

Thank god, after 24 hours of the track not moving, in the 4am update it moved half way from my house to Houston, a pretty big leap east. If it moved that much in 3 hours it will probably keep moving. Sucks for the Houston people, though.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top