BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for keeping this updated... That thing heads up to St Louis as a rain maker, its gonna get ugly. The rivers around here are almost out of their banks!
View Quote

Just send the moisture to Georgia. We need it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope it doesn’t rapid intensify like the recent trend for you Texans sake.

My prediction is near the Texas - Louisiana border. The track has been drifting north.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It won’t, fear and propaganda rules, but it’s too early in the season
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like Centerpoint sucks ass and is too top heavy. Rural electric coops still get shit done and make miracles happen during outages. Our coops that do mutual aid like they've worked together forever wouldn't put up with that kind of shit from contractors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don’t think it’s going to be that bad.
I have a friend about my age 63-64 that works for Centerpoint energy our light company and he told me after this last blow buy a generator.
They had thousands of contractors and loads of supplies but the contractors hardly would climb poles and were adverse to busting ass working. He also said the coordination need to utilize the contractors and the materials seemed beyond the skills of those in management.
He remembers the old light company Houston lighting and power fondly.
Basically the older get the job done high experience level  climb poles every day linemen have been weakened by those without the debth of knowledge and the grit to get it done. And the management is full of ass hats afraid to do what is necessary to fix the problem.
Just having a generator is not enough. Finding fuel and paying for days of running it are going to be the problem.
Hopefully it will not be too bad.
Guess I’m going to fill the work trucks I did not get to yesterday

Sounds like Centerpoint sucks ass and is too top heavy. Rural electric coops still get shit done and make miracles happen during outages. Our coops that do mutual aid like they've worked together forever wouldn't put up with that kind of shit from contractors.

I'm on coop and concur, those fuckers get shit done.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ran out to Bucee’s in Texas City for non-ethanol gas for the generators. As I was filling up the guy next to me asked why so many fuel cans. I said have you heard about the storm in the Gulf and he goes “what storm?”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18852/IMG_1080_jpeg-3259436.JPG
View Quote

Had a similar conversation with someone at the bank in Santa fe yesterday
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It went from a depression to a Cat4 in 33 hours once already in similar water temps while moving faster than it is now, rapid intensification can't be ruled out
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just send the moisture to Georgia. We need it.
View Quote

You'll probably get your wish!
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My prediction is near the Texas - Louisiana border. The track has been drifting north.
View Quote

That would be a significant departure from almost every single track modeled so far.

It will be likely be well South of Houston.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would be a significant departure from almost every single track modeled so far.

It will be likely be well South of Houston.
View Quote

"well south of Houston" is what we need.  Catastrophic floods have crippled the Louisiana/Texas border far too many times in recent years.  ??
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, I was in HEB yesterday getting some basic food stuff should the power be out for a while, and there was nobody doing anything out of the ordinary.  No run on gas or water.  I don’t think people are paying attention.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
This fucking hurricane.....  It was projected to run straight up through S. Texas west of San Antonio to give some seriously needed rain.  Then every day the track moved further east.  I hate this fucking hurricane. I'm in the red.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a friend about my age 63-64 that works for Centerpoint energy our light company and he told me after this last blow buy a generator.
They had thousands of contractors and loads of supplies but the contractors hardly would climb poles and were adverse to busting ass working. He also said the coordination need to utilize the contractors and the materials seemed beyond the skills of those in management.
Basically the older get the job done high experience level  climb poles every day linemen have been weakened by those without the debth of knowledge and the grit to get it done. And the management is full of ass hats afraid to do what is necessary to fix the problem.
Just having a generator is not enough. Finding fuel and paying for days of running it are going to be the problem.

Co-ops are generally more involved in the community and treat their employees better.

Source: I work for a mega utility and have worked for a co-op.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This fucking hurricane.....  It was projected to run straight up through S. Texas west of San Antonio to give some seriously needed rain.  Then every day the track moved further east.  I hate this fucking hurricane. I'm in the red.

https://img.youtube.com/vi/cVWc-st247Q/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote

the safest you can possibly be from a hurricane is to be dead in the center of their path prediction more than 24 hours out
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Co-ops are generally more involved in the community and treat their employees better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear they are treated well.
They are not afraid to borrow your 500i if offered

I always offer water, beer, energy drinks, meth...etc,  when they're working storm damage in my area.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#17]
10:00 AM CDT Sat Jul 6
Moving: WNW at 12 mph
Min pressure: 997 mb
Max sustained: 60 mph
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
10:00 AM CDT Sat Jul 6
Moving: WNW at 12 mph
Min pressure: 997 mb
Max sustained: 60 mph
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the safest you can possibly be from a hurricane is to be dead in the centr of their path prediction more than 24 hours out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the safest you can possibly be from a hurricane is to be dead in the centr of their path prediction more than 24 hours out

I wish. For the last couple updates the center of the projected path is about 4 or 5 miles east of my house.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Morning Update on Tropical Storm Beryl from NHC in Miami, FL (July 6, 2024)
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here, I was in HEB yesterday getting some basic food stuff should the power be out for a while, and there was nobody doing anything out of the ordinary.  No run on gas or water.  I don’t think people are paying attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC buccees is full of trucks filling gas cans this morning. Fixing to hit sams and see what it looks like
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have extended family in Freeport (or Lake Jackson I'm not sure) and when I talked to her earlier she had no idea. Not surprised.
View Quote

Heb was packed yesterday for people getting cases of water.  I just needed my regular stuff which felt good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wish. For the last couple updates the center of the projected path is about 4 or 5 miles east of my house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but it didn't start there, did it?

probably should have said 48 hours but my point remains
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am in the northern part of Houston visiting a friend.  Do you folks in the area have ham radios?

View Quote

@spunk2

http://southcoastreflector.com/

I monitor 146.92 , - PL 203.5, it's in Conroe. neg shift

Depending on how close to Houston you actually are (north Houston covers a lot of area) , 444.500 + PL 100

444.075 + PL 100

if a 100 PL don't work try 103.5
Not sure why he doesn't have it listed on the website.

All of those have back up power.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

the safest you can possibly be from a hurricane is to be dead in the center of their path prediction more than 24 hours out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do and yes here in the past few years the management has gotten worse, especially during storm events. Like a bunch of chickens running around with a wrung neck.

And I have seen first hand that some contractors they bring in for mutual assistance do not climb poles. Bucket work only. Heck they'd tear down 10 fences to get a truck in the backyard to pick up 1 span of single phase #2  on a 40ft pole. There was a couple outfits that got sent packing because of it.

So glad I haven't had to deal with that for the last 2 1/2 years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Stay safe TX Peeps! I  know you guys got bigger fish to fry than this post. But if that ends up in mid Missouri, there could be some nasty flooding!

Current river level map

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Local sams is a madhouse and out of water
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m in charge of the emergency plan where I work. In our Monday staff meeting I brought up Beryl and one of my co-workers laughed me off. My boss was pretty quick to jump on him. At the time we were outside the cone but we’re figuring we were gonna get drenched. Now it’s going to be closer
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#31]
My money is on Baffin Bay landfall.

I am so thankful to not be supporting a data center in the cone anymore.  

7ft above sea level and 1/4 mile from the seawall.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Isn't "madhouse" the norm for club warehouses on weekends?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#33]
If anyone has been paying attention to something other than the local news weather people, it is tracking to hit just west of Houston, and my guess it will eat up the warmer water and hit landfall as a Cat 2 Hurricane. If it slows down it could be really bad. This thing..hasn't been operating like a normal hurricane would. The tracks early on are pure shit and have been for about 2 days now.

Not looking forward to no power for a week or more if thats the case down here. Yuck. And its 100 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurricanes always bring an extra level of retardation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rarely go on weekends anymore but my wife said it was worse than normal.

New hurricane hunter information doesn't look promising, eyewall reformation and winds more organized with the eye just outside the northern edge of the 10am cone
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@spunk2

http://southcoastreflector.com/

I monitor 146.92 , - PL 203.5, it's in Conroe. neg shift

Depending on how close to Houston you actually are (north Houston covers a lot of area) , 444.500 + PL 100

444.075 + PL 100

if a 100 PL don't work try 103.5
Not sure why he doesn't have it listed on the website.

All of those have back up power.

View Quote

Awesome.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Looks like it’s getting its act together.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]
These guys do a good job of tracking hurricanes without all the panicy mainstream bull shit.

https://theeyewall.com/
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I’m in charge of the emergency plan where I work. In our Monday staff meeting I brought up Beryl and one of my co-workers laughed me off. My boss was pretty quick to jump on him. At the time we were outside the cone but we’re figuring we were gonna get drenched. Now it’s going to be closer
View Quote

Many times we have been out of the cone and had devistating floods.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
These guys do a good job of tracking hurricanes without all the panicy mainstream bull shit.

View Quote

Yeah but they're also climate religion zealots.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I did unfollow them on Twitter because of some stupid shit they were spewing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hurricane + 1st of the month.

Sams is ALWAYS busy as fuck the first week of the month.

I just went and filled 6 NATO cans with premium non-eth gas, switched out my 2 propane cylinders, and filled up my FJ.

I learned lessons from Ida I don't intend to forget.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just went and filled 6 NATO cans with premium non-eth gas, switched out my 2 propane cylinders, and filled up my FJ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grabbed an extra case of water at Walmart and filled a couple extra gas cans, other than that I'm good except for deciding tomorrow if I'm going to throw the window boards up, but thats about a 20 minute job so I'm not sweating it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#46]
overcast grey all day so far

cooled off

very still outside

definitely pre-something-is-coming July weather

not saying it's going to hit the TX/LA border, but it's always like this when a storm's churning in the Gulf

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

cooled off

very still outside

not saying it's going to hit the TX/LA border, but it's always like this when a storm's churning in the Gulf

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/image_2024-07-06_170028443-3259868.png
View Quote

We just got some serious thunderstorms here.  It's still now, but definitely wasn't an hour ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We just got some serious thunderstorms here.  It's still now, but definitely wasn't an hour ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

cooled off

very still outside

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/image_2024-07-06_170028443-3259868.png
View Quote

Wife and I were talking about this earlier. It was dead calm this morning before the storms we had roll through, now its dead calm again. Not even a breeze to storms the leaves, very eerie
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Raining in Wilco and some of the longest thunder I have ever heard. Cooled off a bunch as well.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top