Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like Ukraine is a testbed for current and future conflicts.
View Quote

like the spanish civil war was a testbed for some aspects to blitzkrieg
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think that the recent war between Armenia and Azerbaijan really opened some eyes on near peer conflicts and the utilization of modern drones. You're seeing the Russian forces taking those lessons and implementing them heavily in their forces, with a large emphasis on jamming capabilities and additional topside armor for their tanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Ryan_Scott

Wife's mom helps run/work for a volunteer effort in Ukraine.  Most regions have the same.  They raise money, buy stuff and send to front line.  Average Ukrainian salary is about $250-400 a month (a rural doctor may make $400/month), pensioniers make ~$52 a month, so they get a lot of $2-10 donations   Things the money goes to are often basic meds for troops (and working dogs), shovels/chain saws/rebar staples for building bunkers, baofeng radios, and material for making camo nets.  Threat at the border is not a new thing, Wife (Ukrainian) made nets when she visits, and we helped take stuff to pickup depo when I was there.  It's been ongoing since 2014.

This their driver's facebook page, you may find interesting: https://www.facebook.com/targosha as there are pictures of the front line bunkers.  They take casualties on the Ukrainian side, but they are instructed to not return fire, as Russia could use it as a excuse to invade.

In country you can load money to their card ( 4246 0010 0171 5675 PrivatBank) but when I send funds I send by Western Union on my now sister-in-law to deposit.  There really isn't a reason to send goods there, they have basic military hardware.  They meds for the german shepards that may cost $1, shoves that $3, food and candy that is basically 1/4th the price of what it would cost here.  Material for the volunteer's to make nets, blankets with, etc.  From the reciepts they posted looks like Beofengs cost about the same there as here.

View Quote

If I remember correctly, some groups of the Polish Rifleman's Association and Lithuanian Rifleman's Union donated some equipment when the conflict began in 2014.

Shoot, one leader of the polish paramilitaries went down tot he front as a non-combat medic to gain experience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I have Ukrainian relatives and I am part Ukrainian. Hope we can survive the Russian invasion but it looks like it will just become Chechnya 2.0 (or 3.0 considering they lost the first time).
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That was pretty good OP, thanks.

So, is BRCC a CIA operation?         They wouldn't be spending their own money on this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was pretty good OP, thanks.

So, is BRCC a CIA operation?         They wouldn't be spending their own money on this.
View Quote

Forward Observations is not BRCC.

Coffee or Die = BRCC magazine

Evan from BRCC worked for the CIA back in the day, but I don't think he was an agent, just a contractor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that not a Ukrainian series Fort pistol?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want a javelin
View Quote
Group buy?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So not 300k for a rocket or 200k for a CLU.
Has the imaging in the new, cheaper toy improved? The thermal in the jav clu used to be awesome, but it's dated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the javelin was ever even close to that expensive. Nor was/is the CLU.

"In 2002, a single Javelin command launch unit cost $126,000, and each missile cost around $78,000 (equivalent to $112,000 in 2020). This is reinforced by the US Army's Fiscal Year 2018 unit cost for the Javelin weapon system, which put the unit cost at $206,705. "

So not 300k for a rocket or 200k for a CLU.
Has the imaging in the new, cheaper toy improved? The thermal in the jav clu used to be awesome, but it's dated.

The imaging has improved, there's no longer a narrow fov and the standard fov, it's a smooth zoom.   Range of weapon is now over 4km and it is 30% lighter.  But I'm pretty sure Ukraine is not getting those.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I fired some at really cheap targets when we were getting ready to leave and didn't have a way to carry them.
View Quote

I never got to fire a live round. My class back in the day only had a single live round and I wasn't picked to fire it, oh well. I did carry a training round and CLU at NTC in 2003, which sucked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The imaging has improved, there's no longer a narrow fov and the standard fov, it's a smooth zoom.   Range of weapon is now over 4km and it is 30% lighter.  But I'm pretty sure Ukraine is not getting those.
View Quote

Nice!

Beggers can't be choosers; Ukraine is lucky to get anything at all!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want a javelin
View Quote

Shoot, I’d be satisfied with a Gustav.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Swarms of smaller drones was a thing in the EW world back in 2007  if not a bit earlier if that tells you anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son worked with swarms in college.   "Angel Has Fallen" seemed pretty out of this world in the reality sense......until he told me it was already happening.   He now works for Raytheon and can't tell me anything.   Very scary tech.
Raytheon will be exhibiting some of their tech at an upcoming trade show. I'm sure it will be limited info and capabilities discussed are reduced from actual also but just with what they've released publicly is info on their product having 150 drone swarms controlled by a single individual...

Swarms of smaller drones was a thing in the EW world back in 2007  if not a bit earlier if that tells you anything.

Word.

About 2005 when I worked at AFRL I demoed (and transistioned) completely autonomous swarm dynamics with small drones in both homogenous and heterogeneous configurations for a Darpa/socom (j)uon.

"See that bitch in a Tacoma acouple miles away? Go fuck him up, and any of his buddies."

It's actually been public info a long time now.

This is "old" tech.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My son worked with swarms in college.   "Angel Has Fallen" seemed pretty out of this world in the reality sense......until he told me it was already happening.   He now works for Raytheon and can't tell me anything.   Very scary tech.
View Quote

@guns762 is he in Tucson?  If so there's a good chance I know him.  I was the launch system lead for this
Watch the Navy's LOCUST launcher fire a swarm of drones
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

. Autonomous targeting isn’t cheap.
View Quote

Ummm....

Sure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ummm....

Sure.
View Quote

$10,000-30,000 a unit is expensive for most militaries.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

$10,000-30,000 a unit is expensive for most militaries.
View Quote

It can be done much, much, cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could corner the market then. I’ll invest. This is for military type units with uncooked thermal cores, directional radio capability, etc? Or are we putting claymores on Mavics?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You could corner the market then. I’ll invest. This is for military type units with uncooked thermal cores, directional radio capability, etc? Or are we putting claymores on Mavics?
View Quote

I already transitioned the system to the field(amongst others) almost two decades ago. See above.

Don't know what an "uncooked" thermal core is. Are you trying to referring to a microbolometer vice a chilled dewar for the fpa? Uncooled maybe? If so, you don't need mid/long IR for fftt... That's just padding the AUR cost to get more fee out of the NRE numbers. Aka 5000 dollar hammering the solution.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we can put a claymore on a roomba we can put one on a mavic too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#27]
How are you seeing in the dark? Visible spectrum camera? The fielder units I’m aware of all use thermal, even the cheap ones and the ones that don’t allow for an operator to view what the sensor sees like bonus. And yeah my iPhone prefers uncooked to uncooled.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something like it has been done, but I wouldn’t want to be using a radio 1000m from angry US or Russian Soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Something like it has been done, but I wouldn’t want to be using a radio 1000m from angry US or Russian Soldiers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m going to be honest with you.

I had no idea that roombas were radio controlled.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think those movements are random, do you?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol just because we don't like Jen doesn't give you credibility.

You've made several mistakes in your post a native American English speaker would not make. I'm not going to point them out because I don't want you to learn from them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/1629523773534-2225728.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jen Psaki (WH press secretary) one week denying false flags exist and now saying Russia is going to do a false flag. Do we believe anything coming from the WH at this point? The whole Obiden admin's boogieman is Russia.

Quoted:

Not to mention USA government has been doing false flags against its own citizens for some time now. Jan. 6, Patriot Front march in DC, Virginia election right wing false flag demonstration who all turned out to be DNC operatives, Jan. 6 remembrance gathering, DC truck guy with bombs, etc.

Edit: also Charlottesville and most probably Mandalay Bay

Lol just because we don't like Jen doesn't give you credibility.

You've made several mistakes in your post a native American English speaker would not make. I'm not going to point them out because I don't want you to learn from them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/1629523773534-2225728.jpg

@WhiskersTheCat

People don't think The Agency be like it is, but it do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree with most of that, but Putin is still a bad guy too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is that it makes you vulnerable to what Russians like this guy are saying.

In America, wrong is right- up is down- bad is good. Our government is corrupt to the core because they have been taken over by the globalists. How do you guys not see this? We have a sitting president who is illegitimate and stole the election, nobody voted for him. We have sitting congressmen and senate who are worth millions yet only make like $100k/year. Parts of NY, CA, IL, ect are being turned into dumpsters and the people that live in those places keep voting those people in? Yeah BS. AGs set up a revolving door for career criminals to start a culture war. Face it, America has been co-opted.

It is only going to get worse as CIA and FBI and justice systems turn to wokeness and CRT (as evidenced in their job adverts). Until 2020 gets fixed, there is no future. Alex Jones just threw in the towel and said it is over for America (and he has been fighting the globalists for his whole career).

Putin is the only one spewing sense in this f***ed up world.

Edit: Adding the American government hates you and has declared war on you. You are deemed a domestic terrorist

Not to mention Putin and his KGB buddies are the ones that set the US on this path he cries about. It's amazing how deep the Soviet tentacles run in the American Left.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I want a javelin
View Quote

Totally worth the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Amazing.  Thank you
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How are you seeing in the dark? Visible spectrum camera? The fielder units I’m aware of all use thermal, even the cheap ones and the ones that don’t allow for an operator to view what the sensor sees like bonus. And yeah my iPhone prefers uncooked to uncooled.
View Quote

Tell me your actual requirements and I'll tell you what's needed. Until then it's simply "bring me a rock." I already get enough of that from the majcoms.

I quite literally have dozens of different fielded systems, ranging from 6.3-6.4 stuff for (j)uons to multibillion dollar acat1 stuff. "Milgrade" remote autonomous fftt can be done incredibly cheaply.  

What a big boy prime or sbs charges on a CPFF/FFP for that capability is a different topic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:I have no idea who that is I replied to, but if you are just swallowing all the pro war propaganda coming out then hey, you do you.  We were part of their overthrow of their admittedly pro-Moscow government in 2014?  We had Barry's State Department balls deep in that operation.  Not my concern though. There is nothing in Ukraine that I am remotely willing to sacrifice anything for, much less ask someone else to go fight there.  But I keep hearing the cries of "Russia bad (this is true) and Ukraine good (doubtful) so lets get ready for more foreign warring!"  Fuck that.  As I watch my southern border collapse and my government embrace lawlessness and Marxism the fate of Ukraine is pretty low on my list of concerns.
View Quote

A solid +1 on this post (and others)!

US actions in this AO do NOT make us the good guys in this.

And the more people who know/understand that, the better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:Lindsay Graham, Hunter Biden, Jen Psaki, Bill Kristol, etc. - show us your stuff. This your chance to kill evil Russians and defend freedom. Be sure and wear your mask and socially distance on the battle field.
View Quote

And wave their rainbow flags too!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have literature on this? Which battles?.... Seriously curious. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I never got to fire a live round. My class back in the day only had a single live round and I wasn't picked to fire it, oh well. I did carry a training round and CLU at NTC in 2003, which sucked.
View Quote

Reminds me of my time with the DRAGON.

Oh! And the idiot who fired the live round missed a static target!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tell me your actual requirements and I'll tell you what's needed. Until then it's simply "bring me a rock." I already get enough of that from the majcoms.

I quite literally have dozens of different fielded systems, ranging from 6.3-6.4 stuff for (j)uons to multibillion dollar acat1 stuff. "Milgrade" remote autonomous fftt can be done incredibly cheaply.  

What a big boy prime or sbs charges on a CPFF/FFP for that capability is a different topic.
View Quote

Autonomous after launch or uses directional radio to prevent detection, insensitive to jamming including GPS, all weather capability, effective against ERA equipped T-80/90. Serious question what does that cost? Because working back from contract numbers those systems are still not cheap. Kalashnikov Concern claims to have one as cheap as $6,000 but I’m guessing it doubles and triples with options like…armament.

ETA: When I say not cheap I mean people think this is a $450 drone. Which Hajji made work in Mosul but it’s not gonna work for either side in Eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Any reliable sources to corroborate that?
View Quote

Ukraine: 4 soldiers dead in suspected Russian military mortar attack
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#43]
wasn't it at Nellis where they were testing javelins and landed 2 consecutive direct hits on a t-72 sized target at ~3 miles? Which if its true is cool as fuck

has anyone seen the pictures of the Russian t72s with the improvised anti top down atgms?

I've been seeing pictures of Russian tanks on the Ukraine border with homemade looking lattice armor and metal cages welded to the top of the tank to hopefully disrupt javelins and other atgms that hit the top of the tank

apparently they've also added thermal emitters in place of the snorkel on some tanks to hopefully throw off thermal guided atgms like javelins
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If that is a clear case, your point is weak.  Propaganda is meant to obfuscate.  Let me give you a few examples:  2020 election is the most secure and fair election ever.  Trump is an Russian asset, as Putin has dirt on him.  

Foreign power do not need to lift a finger to produce propaganda to influence the American politics.  Our own .gov and its propaganda arm, the MSM/social media is doing fine as is.  All they need to do is to periodically sprinkle some truth.  If that is stirring the pot, then speaking the truth is consider "sowing discontent".
View Quote

Definitely Russian!  How do I know?
A few years ago I stole 2 of your women.
Both make identical mistakes.
By the way putin is for putin only and fkk the Russian people. I'm rooting for them to figure it out and throw vlady a ipatiev party.

Historians will see what it did there.
Time to get rid of rulers and rule yourselves ivan
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'd fulda her gap.
View Quote

Over 50, but id definitely munch her.
But is she boiling a slice of pizza???
By the way I have one of those and I cook my own grub. Will till the day I die. But I love her
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:30:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Great thread, thanks Cory.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not to mention Putin and his KGB buddies are the ones that set the US on this path he cries about. It's amazing how deep the Soviet tentacles run in the American Left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is that it makes you vulnerable to what Russians like this guy are saying.

In America, wrong is right- up is down- bad is good. Our government is corrupt to the core because they have been taken over by the globalists. How do you guys not see this? We have a sitting president who is illegitimate and stole the election, nobody voted for him. We have sitting congressmen and senate who are worth millions yet only make like $100k/year. Parts of NY, CA, IL, ect are being turned into dumpsters and the people that live in those places keep voting those people in? Yeah BS. AGs set up a revolving door for career criminals to start a culture war. Face it, America has been co-opted.

It is only going to get worse as CIA and FBI and justice systems turn to wokeness and CRT (as evidenced in their job adverts). Until 2020 gets fixed, there is no future. Alex Jones just threw in the towel and said it is over for America (and he has been fighting the globalists for his whole career).

Putin is the only one spewing sense in this f***ed up world.

Edit: Adding the American government hates you and has declared war on you. You are deemed a domestic terrorist

That is true. Was a bit before Putins time when they really started their subversive efforts in the US, but all those KGB guys are the same.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Autonomous after launch or uses directional radio to prevent detection, insensitive to jamming including GPS, all weather capability, effective against ERA equipped T-80/90. Serious question what does that cost? Because working back from contract numbers those systems are still not cheap. Kalashnikov Concern claims to have one as cheap as $6,000 but I’m guessing it doubles and triples with options like…armament.

ETA: When I say not cheap I mean people think this is a $450 drone. Which Hajji made work in Mosul but it’s not gonna work for either side in Eastern Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... this has now gone from autonomous targeting, to adding IR capability, to adding a LPI/LPD datalink, to adding AJ GPS, to adding all weather/multispectral, and to top it off the capability to penetrate the equivalent of 15-20in of RHA.
Want to add hypersonic capable while you're at it?

You keep adding shit, of course it will get stupid expensive. With your latest editions you've basically outlined a 6digit AUR cost.  That doesn't even include any of the NRE associated with trying to integrate all that shit together. Likely ratcheting this up to a $70 million dollar EMD program. This is a far, far cry from the initial remote autonomous targeting.

If I was a prime, I'd love you. Like 5 contract changes already. Too bad you just Nunn McCurdy breached and got your program killed due to requirements creep and exploding costs.

For shits and giggles I'll do some LRU costs, that should actually be fairly close.

LPI/LPD link: 40-80k
AJ GPS (minimum of 3 element for nulling- l1/l2 on Y code): 40-50k (includes antenna )
SCJ payload (only way to defeat that much RHA equivalent: 20-50k. The liner type is what drives this spread
IR: 10k
MMW (all weather): 70+k
To move all that shit you crammed in there it's now needs a more expensive motor. But let's assume just solid rocket. To keep costs down : 10k

I could have given you a completely autonomous system that could do its own targeting and defeat soft targets for under 1k AUR.  And in fact that's what I have already done before.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#49]
We started out talking about the kind of drone that would make a difference in a fight between NATO and the Russians so I had expectations about what such a beast could do in that environment. That’s the perspective I had in mind.

Though if the US gets a little rougher the hand grenade on a DJI think is going to be fashionable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So... this has now gone from autonomous targeting, to adding IR capability, to adding a LPI/LPD datalink, to adding AJ GPS, to adding all weather/multispectral, and to top it off the capability to penetrate the equivalent of 15-20in of RHA.
Want to add hypersonic capable while you're at it?

You keep adding shit, of course it will get stupid expensive. With your latest editions you've basically outlined a 6digit AUR cost.  That doesn't even include any of the NRE associated with trying to integrate all that shit together. Likely ratcheting this up to a $70 million dollar EMD program. This is a far, far cry from the initial remote autonomous targeting.

If I was a prime, I'd love you. Like 5 contract changes already. Too bad you just Nunn McCurdy breached and got your program killed due to requirements creep and exploding costs.

For shits and giggles I'll do some LRU costs, that should actually be fairly close.

LPI/LPD link: 40-80k
AJ GPS (minimum of 3 element for nulling- l1/l2 on Y code): 40-50k (includes antenna )
SCJ payload (only way to defeat that much RHA equivalent: 20-50k. The liner type is what drives this spread
IR: 10k
MMW (all weather): 70+k
To move all that shit you crammed in there it's now needs a more expensive motor. But let's assume just solid rocket. To keep costs down : 10k

I could have given you a completely autonomous system that could do its own targeting and defeat soft targets for under 1k AUR.  And in fact that's what I have already done before.
View Quote

Like this?
Attachment Attached File

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top