Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

To all my west coast surf bro kooks. Stay safe out there surfing those hurricane swells. I went out for Cristobal back in 2020 and it was miserable. I can only imagine how rough it’ll be with an actual storm headed at us.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Straight across to Brevard county, you still have a chance to find a place to stay. St Aug will be packed by the time you get there.
View Quote

We have a beach place there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
50% chance this could be the I-4 hurricane making landfall near Tampa and cutting through Orlando, exiting in Daytona. That would be worse case scenario as far as population impact.
View Quote

Charley did that.  It sucked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a head's up.  Double check your homeowner's/flood insurance policies are paid up.

1. My homeowner's doesn't cover flood damage, even if the flooding was caused by storm surge.  I have a separate flood policy that does.
2. I had an issue a couple of years ago where my mortgage holder failed to pay the flood policy renewal, and I wasn't notified until 10 days after it expired.  Luckily nothing bad came of it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have a beach place there.
View Quote

Then it's time to beat feet !

Good luck to you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Respectfully you are the one hiding under a rock. Live life and make changes if needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe how many people have Florida Vacations planned for September.

At least living under a rock is probably pretty safe.

Respectfully you are the one hiding under a rock. Live life and make changes if needed.

Provided there are no hurricanes coming of course, fall is one of the best times to go to Florida imo. It's still hot enough to enjoy the beaches and pools, but usually not as miserably hot like July and August. September and October in Florida is like an average summer day in the north (at least that's what it was like when I was there the couple times during that time of the year).
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Provided there are no hurricanes coming of course, fall is one of the best times to go to Florida imo. It's still hot enough to enjoy the beaches and pools, but usually not as miserably hot like July and August. September and October in Florida is like an average summer day in the north (at least that's what it was like when I was there the couple times during that time of the year).
View Quote

Bro it’s been like 85° on Christmas Day before.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Still not overly worried with that track. Probably lose power. If it shifts and goes straight up the mouth of the bay as a 3 or higher it’s gonna be bad. Like downtown flooded up to the 2nd floor on some buildings bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a head's up.  Double check your homeowner's/flood insurance policies are paid up.

1. My homeowner's doesn't cover flood damage, even if the flooding was caused by storm surge.  I have a separate flood policy that does.
2. I had an issue a couple of years ago where my mortgage holder failed to pay the flood policy renewal, and I wasn't notified until 10 days after it expired.  Luckily nothing bad came of it.

View Quote

Good friends learned how shitty insurance companies can be when their house was wrecked when Ivan came through here (Pensacola) in ‘04. They filed a claim and the agent said they wouldn’t cover the lower floor water damage because it was flood damage. Flood insurance rep came out and said it wasn’t covered by their flood insurance because it wasn’t a flood but rather wind/storm driven water.

This went on for way too long before it was finally settled.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you can fall asleep to a Cat 1 and wake up to a Cat 3-4 over your house. This was Wilma for plenty of people.
View Quote

Michael
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife is supposed to be flying out of Panama City Tuesday morning. Will the airport be operational. Not sure of the timeline when they shut everything down and strap er all up.
View Quote

Looking to be a non-event here, and even it was the airport would stay open as long as possible (T-24 hrs?) to help move things and people out of town.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]

My cousin in GA said she knew it was bad when the picture of hundreds of box cars turned over on the tracks along 231 hit the national news.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you have a dog that is bothered by storms get a vet to write a prescription for some xanax or something like that for riding out the storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figuring out the animal situation is a bigger deal than I had expected.  We're putting our horses in a neighbors field (too many old oaks in ours) and letting chickens, turkeys and cats loose on the property.  We'll see how many make it.  I had an ARFCOMMER who rode out Charley in Cape Coral describe how his dog tried to dig through the floor until his feet bled, and that always stuck in my mind.  I wonder how many dogs and cats we'll see up for adoption out of Tampa in a few weeks.

If you have a dog that is bothered by storms get a vet to write a prescription for some xanax or something like that for riding out the storm.

Absolutely agreed, and something to think about for those staying.  I'm sitting in Fort Lauderdale and waiting it out, so think we'll be okay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No insurance companies will add coverage or change coverage with a storm approaching.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not close at all and I'm way up in the thin air at 29' of elevation.

Flooding from river or bay won't be an issue for me. If it does, we have bigger problems because that means Riverview and Fishhawk are under water too.

Definitely expecting 6-8" of standing water from the rain in some areas of the property but the house sits higher than the rest of the property.
View Quote

That is definitely Florida high ground.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bro it’s been like 85° on Christmas Day before.
View Quote

And in the 20s with icesicles on the fences and orange trees in my area in 89 if my memory is still working.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Jacksonville is still in too much shock that the Jaguars aren't awful to care about a hurricane right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]
My pops is staying. He is just west of TPA and south of Memorial Hwy. Mandatory evacuation zone. Old school FL cracker. I think he’s being a dumbass, but what else is new.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jacksonville is still in too much shock that the Jaguars aren't awful to care about a hurricane right now.
View Quote

Lol, Miami too
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#21]
We’re in Naples and will get a bunch of rain. We should bolt for NC but her parents are resisting. Had to talk the step daughter and her boyfriend out of riding it out in downtown Tampa.

I’m supposed to fly out of Miami Wednesday morning but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. I’m not leaving the family to fend for themselves.

This is my first hurricane since moving to FL.

TC
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m excited to see Lealman and Pinellas Park taking over LWR and Wesley Chapel after the big one.

Maybe it’ll scare some Yankees back up north.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We’re in Naples and will get a bunch of rain. We should bolt for NC but her parents are resisting. Had to talk the step daughter and her boyfriend out of riding it out in downtown Tampa.

I’m supposed to fly out of Miami Wednesday morning but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. I’m not leaving the family to fend for themselves.

This is my first hurricane since moving to FL.

TC
View Quote

I'm in Napes too.  With the current predictions, we'll be fine.  Plenty of rain and 40 mph winds.  We get that on many afternoon rain storms.  Should'da been here for Irma, that was a hoot. The eye came right over us.  The max winds were estimated to be in the 140 mph range.  Now that was sporty!  With that though, our damage was limited to trees and screens around the pool.  The house didn't even lose a single shingle.  For the most part we are built strong here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not close at all and I'm way up in the thin air at 29' of elevation.

Flooding from river or bay won't be an issue for me. If it does, we have bigger problems because that means Riverview and Fishhawk are under water too.

Definitely expecting 6-8" of standing water from the rain in some areas of the property but the house sits higher than the rest of the property.

We're up at 128' above sea level but we're almost in GA so I guess we don't really count.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if my place has the chance to become an island @308’ asl
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
September in Florida....Oh, how I miss thee not!

(<-hit by Charlie/Frances/Jeanne in '04)
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leaving the base right now, it is solid traffic from the gates to Bay to Bay.. its a cluster. I have no doubt fuel along Dale M is already sucked dry too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#30]
It'll flood here no matter what..river is already high. So a solid 2 to 3 day rain it'll crest.
Luckily my house is raised 4ft over what the flood zone is.
Just means my porch will be a nice dock lol..but will fuck up my shit.

Last time is was crazy watching fish swim down the road lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like we're going to buckle up and ride the big one!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You are quite right. And truthfully, aside from replacing my house windows, I have done all I can:
80lb Propane, 15 gal gas, Generators oiled and tested (plus spare plugs and oil), Trees pruned as possible
Weeks of food (rationing of course), 20 gal water (more if i break out the bob)
Several tarps and drop cloths, Trashbags, Video recorded of house contents and condition..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not liking the latest from the Euro model and the HWRF models. Both have slid their projections westward.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310516/Euro1_jpg-2539800.JPG

I swear i am gonna have a stroke from the stress of trying to guess which way this bitch is going.

So prepare like you're going to get a direct hit, and anything less will be good news.  Making sure you've done everything you can to prepare can be something of a stress reliever.

You are quite right. And truthfully, aside from replacing my house windows, I have done all I can:
80lb Propane, 15 gal gas, Generators oiled and tested (plus spare plugs and oil), Trees pruned as possible
Weeks of food (rationing of course), 20 gal water (more if i break out the bob)
Several tarps and drop cloths, Trashbags, Video recorded of house contents and condition..

Wednesday morning fill your sinks and bathtub. Can be used to flush toilets, wash up etc...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Hasn't Cantore been in Clearwater this whole time? I guess he was right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
My buddy is LEO in pinallas. Planning on hanging out and not leaving.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Leaving the base right now, it is solid traffic from the gates to Bay to Bay.. its a cluster. I have no doubt fuel along Dale M is already sucked dry too.
View Quote

Wife is at Gandy Home Depot currently. She said the evac traffic is insane.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Been watching this thread from the beginning, stay safe FL peeps!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got notified. Polk county schools closed the next two days at least.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Largo here. Tomorrow we are taking in three evacuees. Vultures from Seaside Seabird Sanctuary. As long as they don't get scared. If you care them up close, the puke on you. It defines nasty.
Wife's friend is taking two Sandhill Cranes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I told my tenants in NE St Pete it would be nice to evacuate and I’ll be sending someone to board up the windows.

“Why? We don’t wanna live in the dark”

They just moved here from New Jersey. They’re in for a fun time for sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you know where people are evac'ing to? Further inland or escaping the whole state? I'm in Volusia and gas and bottled water are still normal for now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I told my tenants in NE St Pete it would be nice to evacuate and I’ll be sending someone to board up the windows.

“Why? We don’t wanna live in the dark”

They just moved here from New Jersey. They’re in for a fun time for sure.
View Quote

The newly minted transplants here are acting like panicked Karens and are hoarding everything they can, mostly they are fighting with each other. LOL

I wonder how may are going to beat feet and move back once this one is over, quite a few of them already left because they couldn't handle the Summer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do you know where people are evac'ing to? Further inland or escaping the whole state? I'm in Volusia and gas and bottled water are still normal for now.
View Quote

No clue. Wife wants to go to her parents place in gville if we have to evac or it moves closer. I want to go to our place in St Augustine as gville is still in the path of the eye.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point, If I was evacuating the Tampa area, I'd head towards Bartow, or maybe Sebring / Lake Placid
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe it’ll scare some Yankees back up north.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At this point, If I was evacuating the Tampa area, I'd head towards Bartow, or maybe Sebring / Lake Placid.
View Quote

I've been trying to secure a pet-friendly hotel in the Bartow/Lakeland area for my sister and my mom, who are both under mandatory evacuation orders.
No luck.

We did find one in Orlando.  Sister is picking mom up tomorrow and driving there.

I'm bunkering down in Plant City.  Too big a flood risk to have them come to my house.  Should be a fun Wednesday night, for sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Largo here. Tomorrow we are taking in three evacuees. Vultures from Seaside Seabird Sanctuary. As long as they don't get scared. If you care them up close, the puke on you. It defines nasty.
View Quote

That's very cool of you.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool!  Maybe post some pics if you get time…

ETA:  George, the 35 yr old Turkey vulture….

Elderly vulture that can't fly is living his best life
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friends are evacuating to West palm beach.

Heading south seems easier, and faster, then going in the north further in the storms path anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Hope you guys stay safe
This is netting me some OT
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top