Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No clue. Wife wants to go to her parents place in gville if we have to evac or it moves closer. I want to go to our place in St Augustine as gville is still in the path of the eye.
View Quote

Both of my kids are at UF and they haven't yet heard about closures. I told them we'll play it as it comes but I hate that they might be caught on I-75 parking lot if they have to leave and come home. Might have them make the run thru Perry instead. I just don't thjink they wanna be on campus when the lights go out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It looks like there is a snarl up near Ocala.

You guys evac'ing should consider sticking to the state highways instead of the Interstate. Compared to 75, most of the state highways look peaceful on google maps at least.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/fltraf_JPG-2540068.JPG
View Quote

That could also just be called "Monday".
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't consider myself a religious person, but I will be keeping you Florida members in my prayers.  Please plan accordingly and stay safe.

I'm still dealing with damage caused by Ida.
View Quote

That was 2 years ago? I would say we're finally getting past Michael but there are parts of Bay County that will never be the same.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Lawd, what if it pulls a Charlie and goes south last minute...

God this guessing game blows
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wife is cancer free for 3 years now and I’m still ugly as hell, so all is normal.

I know you are more prepared than 87% of us Floridians, but if you run out of something on that coast, I’d be happy to run it over to you from this one. I have a brother in law over in North Tampa and while his house is high and dry, it’s the spin off tornadoes that worry me most about these big storms.

Take care!
View Quote

Thanks, attitude and understanding what and how we deal with these storms are something florida man has a touch of luck with... we all get thru it.

Went to visit a relative in Arkansas when i was about ten years old , a siren went off and my aunt  dragged all off kids out to a big ditch and that tornado went by a few blocks away. Could be why at almost 70 we just wait untill 24 hours out to bust a move.

Great new for the  wife  
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was 2 years ago? I would say we're finally getting past Michael but there are parts of Bay County that will never be the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't consider myself a religious person, but I will be keeping you Florida members in my prayers.  Please plan accordingly and stay safe.

I'm still dealing with damage caused by Ida.

My business took a beating since the property owner ignored a substandard roof. We were staying there for the hurricane when the roof peeled back, and it wasn't a pleasant experience having water pouring in while we were trying to save personal and business property. It took the contractors 8 months to finish all of the work that had to be done to get the building useable. I'm having to come out of pocket to finish up stuff that wasn't covered by insurance. Money that I don't really have right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Both of my kids are at UF and they haven't yet heard about closures. I told them we'll play it as it comes but I hate that they might be caught on I-75 parking lot if they have to leave and come home. Might have them make the run thru Perry instead. I just don't thjink they wanna be on campus when the lights go out.
View Quote

@flcroc

FSU has cancelled classes for the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@flcroc

FSU has cancelled classes for the rest of the week.
View Quote

They won't be within 150 miles of anything more than a summer t'storm. I assume the non-essential state folks want a few days off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They issued a mandatory evacuation for zone A for my river house on the Alafia this morning and my other house is right on the edge of the zone a half mile away.
My river house floor elevation is 4 ft. above sea level and the other house is 9 ft.

Ian will probably put 3 ft. of water in the river house. The boats are pulled out and, on the trailers, and all generators at the other house. Have food, beer and the usual  kracker grin going on .
  If it goes much over a cat 2 I will bug over to Brandon to my son's house Wednesday pm. I moved all firearms and ammo over to Brandon today and it made the ole jeep Cherokee squat.
 We will get thru this but knowing I have to repair the river house is a pisser.

Any one in that area that needs a hand after this storm let me know, I have chain saws and generators and maybe some beer left ...
View Quote

Years ago my buddy had a river house that could flood from the gulf, he put screw in trim baseboards and middle of the wall trim to cover the seam where he put concrete board for the bottom 4 ft and drywall the top 4 ft so he could just unscrew every bottom-half of walls to let the house air out the studs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
They still have no clue where the eye is going.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Man whenever I see these big ass storms I always wonder what I can do to actually help. We’re a long ways away in Arkansas but we’ve got a place to stay if anyone needs it
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ft Lauderdale would be a good choice if you gotta go. Decent prices still on hotels, get reservations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife is at Gandy Home Depot currently. She said the evac traffic is insane.
Do you know where people are evac'ing to? Further inland or escaping the whole state? I'm in Volusia and gas and bottled water are still normal for now.

Ft Lauderdale would be a good choice if you gotta go. Decent prices still on hotels, get reservations.

I'm up for a party on the ARFCOM Yacht in Fort Lauderdale!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Years ago my buddy had a river house that could flood from the gulf, he put screw in trim baseboards and middle of the wall trim to cover the seam where he put concrete board for the bottom 4 ft and drywall the top 4 ft so he could just unscrew every bottom-half of walls to let the house air out the studs.
View Quote

yeah i could see that ...would use a brass screw for anything that may get wet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Man whenever I see these big ass storms I always wonder what I can do to actually help. We're a long ways away in Arkansas but we've got a place to stay if anyone needs it
View Quote
We're a long ways from Florida, but I usually end up with Louisiana refugees at my house here in Arkansas when the storms come for our southern neighbors.

If you've got the time and ability, look at joining up with one of the volunteer orgs that will be going down in the wake of the storm. There are many groups like Samaritan's Purse or similar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lawd, what if it pulls a Charlie and goes south last minute...

God this guessing game blows
View Quote

Charlie suckkkkkkkked
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Ian is now a category 2 hurricane

-5PM Update-

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION----------------------------------------
LOCATION...20.3N 83.2W
ABOUT 155 MI...250 KM SE OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 330 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...972 MB...28.71 INCHES

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anna Marie Island is being evacuated tonight.
maybe 5-8ft storm surge. That will put the entire island underwater.
View Quote

Probably wise. It’s gonna be a shitshow there. This was after a 30 min rainstorm mid-July

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]

yup shifted east :(
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet.  I’ll send my daughter and her BF down from Tampa.

What is the slip #?

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess I'm going to be placing shutters on the house all day tomorrow.  

Removing 1' of water from the pool.

Probably gonna have to bug out now.

Fml.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Y'all staying aboard through the storm?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Petty good GIF showing the NHC cone model shifting over time.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Mike's Weather Page is going live at 6pm.  He's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MikesWeatherPage

Here's his latest FB post:

5pm NHC update on Hurricane Ian. Track bumped east. Hurricane Warnings are now up for west central Florida.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Still plenty of time for things to change, but this looks very ugly for Pinellas and TB.  TB seems to have a magical forcefield though, so it will probably do something crazy.

Starting to put the hurricane shutters up today in Palmetto.  We are fairly high elevation-wise, so we're going to ride it out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Petty good GIF showing the NHC cone model shifting over time.

View Quote

The NHC site has some neat graphics and interactives.
You can find it on their site directly instead of having to use Twitter
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]

some of those models should be ashamed of themselves
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Still plenty of time for things to change, but this looks very ugly for Pinellas and TB.  TB seems to have a magical forcefield though, so it will probably do something crazy.

Starting to put the hurricane shutters up today in Palmetto.  We are fairly high elevation-wise, so we're going to ride it out.
View Quote

Daughter #1 leaving TPA shortly…

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Now they are calling for a 2-4 foot storm surge for northeast Florida coast and Georgia.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
5PM storm surge update

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course!  She's a self-contained city.  We are provisioned for 6 months, have fuel to run generators for almost 3 months, can make our own fresh water, etc.  We also have great real-time intel on weather.  Besides the whole "not knowing if you'll wake up in the same place you went to sleep" thing, it's the ideal place to live when infrastructure goes away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Of course everyone in my house gets sick…I’m still deciding if I’m going to lard the windows up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They still have no clue where the eye is going.
View Quote

They never do. It's going to shift half a dozen more times before landfall just like always.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Of course!  She's a self-contained city.  We are provisioned for 6 months, have fuel to run generators for almost 3 months, can make our own fresh water, etc.  We also have great real-time intel on weather.  Besides the whole "not knowing if you'll wake up in the same place you went to sleep" thing, it's the ideal place to live when infrastructure goes away.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sweet.  I’ll send my daughter and her BF down from Tampa.

What is the slip #?

View Quote

Bring it!  We'll be gentle

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad to see you posting. Hope you're doing well.

Stay safe down there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got put on standby for storm detail……
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ian is now a category 2 hurricane

-5PM Update-

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION----------------------------------------
LOCATION...20.3N 83.2W
ABOUT 155 MI...250 KM SE OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 330 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...972 MB...28.71 INCHES

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381696/163741_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind_png-2540326.JPG

View Quote

Look when High Tide is In Tampa Bay at Manatee River.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Of course everyone in my house gets sick…I’m still deciding if I’m going to lard the windows up.
View Quote

Pig fat does not work on hurricanes!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just got put on standby for storm detail……
View Quote

Username fits
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I think we will button up the river house on Tuesday and my brother will ride out the storm at the other house and i will bug out to my son's house to help him with his first major hurricane ... i drew the easy ticket.  i will be miles inland ... but everything can change in Florida in an hours' time, i just might ride it out with little brother
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Look when High Tide is In Tampa Bay at Manatee River.

View Quote

Yes.. A long time ago, I had heard, that the Manatee river was sucked dry due to a powerful hurricane?
Anna Maria Island is supposedly shutting down the water one hour after sunset tomorrow. They are also starting the mandatory evacuation at 8 AM tomorrow? Lived in the area since 74.. and hardly anyone ever evacuates that island. That place floods during major storms big time. Hopefully the AMCP and the rod n reel pier will survive. Rod n reel pier was built in 1947. Irma damaged the Anna Maria City Pier, and it was shut down for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Glad to see you posting. Hope you're doing well.

Stay safe down there.
View Quote

Thank you sir!  I may take the downtime from the storm to post some things in Team....
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes.. A long time ago, I had heard, that the Manatee river was sucked dry due to a powerful hurricane?
Anna Maria Island is supposedly shutting down the water one hour after sunset tomorrow. They are also starting the mandatory evacuation at 8 AM tomorrow? Lived in the area since 74.. and hardly anyone ever evacuates that island. That place floods during major storms big time. Hopefully the AMCP and the rod n reel pier will survive. Rod n reel pier was built in 1947. Irma damaged the Anna Maria City Pier, and it was shut down for a long time.
View Quote

I know something similar happened with Irma - which passed to the EAST.  The western side of a storm tends to pull water out.  The eastern side tends to push water in.  That area is forecast to be in the eastern side with significant storm surge (on top of normal tidal levels).  My concern is that people will be complacent after Irma - not realizing this is likely to be the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#46]
When do you think they’ll close the Orlando airport?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife is at Gandy Home Depot currently. She said the evac traffic is insane.
Do you know where people are evac'ing to? Further inland or escaping the whole state? I'm in Volusia and gas and bottled water are still normal for now.

You sure made the right choice to stay in Lauderdale!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My concern is that people will be complacent after Irma - not realizing this is likely to be the opposite.
View Quote

I agree.
Well, in 48 hours or so, it could be a wild ride.. Yeeehawww!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When do you think they’ll close the Orlando airport?
View Quote

https://www.orlandoairports.net/press/2022/09/26/orlando-international-airport-continues-preparations-for-hurricane-ian/
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I have never experienced a hurricane.

Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top