BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a bizarre contrast. Every hurricane I've lived thru is 120% humidity and 90+ sweltering degrees. The jet stream apparently dipped down and we have had a proverbial brick wall between us and the storm, no rain, in the 60's and I'm freezing. We've had some mild wind and yard debris but that's it. Power has been out since 3AM, no internet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22957/5B468424-A716-4A16-AAA3-7F1BAC6F989B-2543754.jpg

View Quote

Indeed, even more so up here; bizarre, hurricane offshore and chilly, 58°
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Time lapse of 15 foot surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro
View Quote

Where ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm hearing that Ian will restructure into a Cat 1 before it hits Charleston SC.  In comparison to what our FL brothers just went through, it shouldn't be a big deal......I hope.

View Quote

Yeah, but downtown Charleston floods with a light drizzle
 I bet lots of flooding will happen too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Where ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where ?
Ft. Myers Beach according to the video
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BTDT with Charley. The genny I'm using belongs to my SIL camper. 120v & not big enough to run mt well pumps.

I know this is a long shot but I need:
A carburetor for a GX240 8.0 Honda Generator.
I'll pay cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well its all over but for the crying here in Punta Gorda.
We came out the other side & it was bad but it could have been way worse. I know it is for a lot of folks.
The eye went right over the house, it was a surreal moment to walk around outside for about half an hour looking at the damage. 2nd time I've done that.

I have shingles missing, some damaged soffit & facia, bent railings, a tree top thru the 2nd floor screen enclosure. The house faired well which I am very grateful for. No idea when we will get power back. No cell service, currently posting from out T-mobile hot spot. Verizon is out totally. Only NBC-2 news casts on the TV.
I'm on a borrowed generator as mine needs a new carb. Its only large enough to keep the fridge on. We're on a well so no running water until I can get my generator working.

Wife ran out to check on the MIL place, she's right on Shell Creek & just had a new roof installed but the home was built in the '50's. I'm not optimistic that it survived, she has no insurance either.

I can't describe the monumental task I have with clean up here. Every tree on my 5 acres is damaged. I'm not equipped to deal with it which has frazzled my last nerve. It will just sit there until such a time I can rent a skid steer & maybe an excavator. Not sure if my homeowners insurance picks up that cost. I'll need a new roof too which is the biggest hit right now.

My thoughts go out to everyone near the coast, you all took it right on the chin.

Alternate between the well and the fridge, as long as your gennie is big enough to hold up the well pump.

Hopefully your well pump can be easily configured to safely hook to the generator.

BT,DT. You are gonna want some running water in the next week or so.

BTDT with Charley. The genny I'm using belongs to my SIL camper. 120v & not big enough to run mt well pumps.

I'll pay cash.

Got nothing here. Running a 4kw predator.

ETA: What's wrong with your busted one?

On the very off chance it's the backfire protection pin that's electrically actuated, I replaced mine with a bolt in my lawnmower and it works like a champ. The float pin is what keeps the bowl from filling, not the solenoid needle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is absolutely fucking insane. Wow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Just heard from folks 10 miles inland from Siesta key. Lots of trees down and some flooding but power, cell and internet are back up in their neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

On the very off chance it's the backfire protection pin that's electrically actuated, I replaced mine with a bolt in my lawnmower and it works like a champ. The float pin is what keeps the bowl from filling, not the solenoid needle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well its all over but for the crying here in Punta Gorda.
We came out the other side & it was bad but it could have been way worse. I know it is for a lot of folks.
The eye went right over the house, it was a surreal moment to walk around outside for about half an hour looking at the damage. 2nd time I've done that.

I have shingles missing, some damaged soffit & facia, bent railings, a tree top thru the 2nd floor screen enclosure. The house faired well which I am very grateful for. No idea when we will get power back. No cell service, currently posting from out T-mobile hot spot. Verizon is out totally. Only NBC-2 news casts on the TV.
I'm on a borrowed generator as mine needs a new carb. Its only large enough to keep the fridge on. We're on a well so no running water until I can get my generator working.

Wife ran out to check on the MIL place, she's right on Shell Creek & just had a new roof installed but the home was built in the '50's. I'm not optimistic that it survived, she has no insurance either.

I can't describe the monumental task I have with clean up here. Every tree on my 5 acres is damaged. I'm not equipped to deal with it which has frazzled my last nerve. It will just sit there until such a time I can rent a skid steer & maybe an excavator. Not sure if my homeowners insurance picks up that cost. I'll need a new roof too which is the biggest hit right now.

My thoughts go out to everyone near the coast, you all took it right on the chin.

Alternate between the well and the fridge, as long as your gennie is big enough to hold up the well pump.

Hopefully your well pump can be easily configured to safely hook to the generator.

BT,DT. You are gonna want some running water in the next week or so.

I'll pay cash.

Amazon has this

anyone outside of the impacted area who can receive it and deliver it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where ?

That was nuts. I wonder where that building went. It floated away and then disappeared. I wish I had the money to take off work next week and come down there to help clean up and rebuild. Praying for those people
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was a guy in that house that floated away. He peeked out the door early on in the video.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Recon flight for HiRes photography? Before/after?
View All Quotes
Here is an interesting factoid for you.  Insurance companies have started doing "before" overflights to look at roof condition prior to the storm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
At this moment it is probably a bad idea to check the National Hurricane Center's tracking map.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There was a guy in that house that floated away. He peeked out the door early on in the video.
View Quote

It does really kind of look like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep in mind several years ago the storm surge was changed to height above ground not height above sea level.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381696/Screen_Shot_2022-09-28_at_12_15_42_AM_pn-2542202.JPG
View Quote

Do you have what the actual storm surge was?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be easier to put on a new one. Found them online for 20.00
Thing is all gummed up from sitting around. My own fault, we've been soaking it for 2 days & I bet the jets are plugged up & frozen solid stuck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit. They are fucked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Amazon has this

View Quote

I'd help get it there but it says earliest delivery is wed oct 5th.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The last advisory I read from NHC said IAN's tropical storm force winds extended out *415* miles from center. Imagine an 830 mile wide storm. Yikes!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit! I hope he bailed and survived
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit I see it now. Hopefully he somehow got away and the time lapse missed it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon has this

damn, for me in PA it says tomorrow. doesn't help.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Meh, leave the guy alone. Everyone has their own shit they are dealing with. Noones shit is more important than anyone else's. I'm sure he isn't saying none of the other destruction matter and only his vacation matters. Tone and emotion can't be felt thru posts so cut the guy some slack y'all, damn. Bunch of knee jerk emotional filled reactions. This whole storm is a disaster but we don't need to attack each other over petty bullshit
Eta: I see this was sorted out. Sorry, Marie, didn't mean to seem mean to you. I didn't realize I quoted your post.
View Quote

QFT.

I'm still laughing about how you described the Cocoa people nailing boards to their outside walls.  (I grew in Brevard and stayed as far away from Cocoa and Rockledge as I could).
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thing is all gummed up from sitting around. My own fault, we've been soaking it for 2 days & I bet the jets are plugged up & frozen solid stuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh.

BT,DT.  Reason why when I shut off my generators, I do it by turning off the fuel petcock, so it can drain the fuel bowl.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shit.  The Fort is right behind her.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a hurricane pass and could get there if I really wanted to.  There will be no power, no comms and no help for a LONG time.  The causeway bridge is what carried power across to the island (in addition to aerial lines from Pine Island).  To go to the west coast in middle of all that noise and boat to the island would be quite an endeavor just to secure a house that's probably destroyed.  I'm going to wait a few days for my contacts to get comms and then make a decision then.
View Quote

Personally, I wouldn’t even attempt a boat incursion at this point, especially when it’s your only home at this point. The amount of crap in the water that’s both floating and partially submerged that could damage your boat right now in my opinion isn’t worth the risk. There’s also no telling how navigable the waters are right now; I’d imagine some dredging might be necessary but I’m not familiar enough with the waters in that area.

I hope you find out some information about your place soon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Jesus.  My timing is absolute shit as usual.  

I was supposed to be moving to my parents place in Englewood in a couple weeks and searching for my new boat/home but their condo is gone.  Completely destroyed.  Just sold my boat/home and need to be out soon.  

Luckily my parents can stay at their friends.  So I’m relieved for that but I’m fucked and have no idea where to go.  I thinking staying at a hotel or finding a rental there is going to be very difficult not to mention the boat situation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA: Ft Meyers Beach
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

After Harvey, I had many people tell me they carried the maximum flood insurance offered but it only covered a fraction of their actual cost to rebuild.
View Quote

The National Flood Insurance Program only covers up to $250,000 for a dwelling, but private flood insurance is available for any amount desired. The problem, of course, is that it is expensive, and after Ian, will be more so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had the same problem immediately after Irma.  Guitar strings can make a decent tool to rod out the passages.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon has this

If anyone finds one in the area,  I can help transport it from Sarasota.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of any cell/power problems in Port St Lucie ?
My family can't get in touch with my nephew or his wife.

NVM, they texted.
View Quote

There are 30k-ish out of power in SLC. Cell towers are operational and good. Hopefully they are fine.  We really didn't get hit at all. But the power thing may be to blame with them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Where ?
View Quote

Sometimes Google Earth is nuts. Near the intersection of Carolina Ave and Estero Blvd.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Personally, I wouldn’t even attempt a boat incursion at this point, especially when it’s your only home at this point. The amount of crap in the water that’s both floating and partially submerged that could damage your boat right now in my opinion isn’t worth the risk. There’s also no telling how navigable the waters are right now; I’d imagine some dredging might be necessary but I’m not familiar enough with the waters in that area.

I hope you find out some information about your place soon.
View Quote

^ This.  After Michael there was more shit in alligator harbor that has washed from houses out on the point. Most of it was refrigerators and freezers that were just under water.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Tropical Tidbits by Levi Cohen is the best hurricane forecasting you'll find. If you live in the Carolinas, watch and pay attention:

[Thursday] Ian Crosses Florida; Landfall in South Carolina with Significant Impacts Expected Friday
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hurricane hunter taking damage
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdwHb7OXgAEUTFe?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdwHcemXgAI2qYf?format=jpg&name=small

View Quote

Butt pucker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

JFC, the power of that storm! That looked worse than the Japanese tsunami videos.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here is an interesting factoid for you.  Insurance companies have started doing "before" overflights to look at roof condition prior to the storm.
View Quote

Heard a guy on the Dana show talking about the huge difference in insurance cost responsibility between a Cat 4 and Cat 5 storm due to deductibles.

Now hearing this storm was 1 MPH windspeed away from Cat 5 and still called a Cat 4.

Anyone familiar with this or BS?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s one of the craziest videos from this storm I have seen!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#47]

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-tax-relief-for-victims-of-hurricane-ian-in-florida

Individuals and households affected by Hurricane Ian that reside or have a business anywhere in the state of Florida qualify for tax relief. The declaration permits the IRS to postpone certain tax-filing and tax-payment deadlines for taxpayers who reside or have a business in the disaster area. For instance, certain deadlines falling on or after September 23, 2022, and before February 15, 2023, are postponed through February 15, 2023.

This means individuals who had a valid extension to file their 2021 return due to run out on October 17, 2022, will now have until February 15, 2023, to file. The IRS noted, however, that because tax payments related to these 2021 returns were due on April 18, 2022, those payments are not eligible for this relief.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sometimes Google Earth is nuts. Near the intersection of Carolina Ave and Estero Blvd.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59830/Ft_Myers_Beach_PNG-2544061.JPG
View Quote

1450 Estero Blvd. FMB
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Heard a guy on the Dana show talking about the huge difference in insurance cost responsibility between a Cat 4 and Cat 5 storm due to deductibles.

Now hearing this storm was 1 MPH windspeed away from Cat 5 and still called a Cat 4.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was rated 2-3 mph under cat 5.

If you have the time you can go back into the thread and read, it's mentioned in a few posts just before and as ian made landfall. 155 mph or thereabouts.  There were a few posts about reported gusts of wind up to 200-213 mph offshore. It ripped one of noaa's buoys off it's anchoring (or sunk it) that was directly in it's path.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you have the time you can go back into the thread and read, it's mentioned in a few posts just before and as ian made landfall. 155 mph or thereabouts.  There were a few posts about reported gusts of wind up to 200-213 mph offshore. It ripped one of noaa's buoys off it's anchoring (or sunk it) that was directly in it's path.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the storm seemed to be peaking I almost posted that the thing should squeeze out another 2mph just to get the Cat 5 label and the increased attention it no doubt brings.  Decided I wasn't going to wish even another 2mph upon people who were about to lose everything as it is.  
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top