User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Family is good to go.

No coms at the house but somehow only minor damage.
View Quote

Good news
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Most homes still standing. This was a flooding hurricane not a wind damage hurricane like Andrew.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most homes still standing. This was a flooding hurricane not a wind damage hurricane like Andrew.

... water is MORE destructive than wind damage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That'd help a lot in 1950
View Quote

Yea, screw the people that have been paying insurance premiums to cover their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yea, screw the people that have been paying insurance premiums to cover their stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone will get screwed real good given a long enough timeline
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't know if this was posted.

Video at link. Sanibel at 1:18

Sanibel
https://i.imgur.com/LBSPpje.jpg
View Quote

Over the next few weeks, all the neighbors are going to be jealous of the folks whose house burned down.

Numerous times after Michael a part of me wished the whole damn thing blew away or burned down (save for being inside it at the time).
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FJB just said that uninsured and underinsured can get up to 37,900 to rebuild and 37,900 for contents.
View Quote

I suppose every little bit helps but that's hardly going to  be adequate for many who just saw their life's possesions washed away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well its all over but for the crying here in Punta Gorda.
We came out the other side & it was bad but it could have been way worse. I know it is for a lot of folks.
The eye went right over the house, it was a surreal moment to walk around outside for about half an hour looking at the damage. 2nd time I've done that.

I have shingles missing, some damaged soffit & facia, bent railings, a tree top thru the 2nd floor screen enclosure. The house faired well which I am very grateful for. No idea when we will get power back. No cell service, currently posting from out T-mobile hot spot. Verizon is out totally. Only NBC-2 news casts on the TV.
I'm on a borrowed generator as mine needs a new carb. Its only large enough to keep the fridge on. We're on a well so no running water until I can get my generator working.

Wife ran out to check on the MIL place, she's right on Shell Creek & just had a new roof installed but the home was built in the '50's. I'm not optimistic that it survived, she has no insurance either.

I can't describe the monumental task I have with clean up here. Every tree on my 5 acres is damaged. I'm not equipped to deal with it which has frazzled my last nerve. It will just sit there until such a time I can rent a skid steer & maybe an excavator. Not sure if my homeowners insurance picks up that cost. I'll need a new roof too which is the biggest hit right now.

My thoughts go out to everyone near the coast, you all took it right on the chin.
View Quote

Alternate between the well and the fridge, as long as your gennie is big enough to hold up the well pump.

Hopefully your well pump can be easily configured to safely hook to the generator.

BT,DT. You are gonna want some running water in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some schools are closing tomorrow here in NC.

We are next NC and SC bros.
View Quote

Friday is a "Remote" day for our kids in Carteret County. I prefer remote vs closing. No make up later in the year....

Back to Florida and lots of prayers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FJB just said that uninsured and underinsured can get up to 37,900 to rebuild and 37,900 for contents.
View Quote

The 37,900 are the caps within the FEMA IHP program.

There are 2 limits .......

Housing (repair/rental)...... non-income dependent grant for uninsured losses that affect the basic habitability of the home ......If you reach the limit on repairs, there is no grant $ left for rental/temp housing ....and the only assistance left is "direct housing assistance" (travel trailers/mobile homes/rapid temporary repairs/etc.

Personal property ..... grant assistance for it is income dependent......if your income is above a certain level (depending on household comp), you'll initially be referred to the SBA to apply for a loan ....if you fail their income test, or your household income doesn't meet the threshold, a joint FEMA/State program (ONA) may give you a grant for essential personal prop. losses.... as well as (uninsured) medical/dental/funeral expenses.

Looks like the state of FL is considering an emergency housing/sheltering program already ....and it's being fast-tracked. It's something that has been used in LA and TX, and is in addition to FEMA repair/rental/tem housing assistance. It works ..... I'm still wrapping up our part of the project from Ida in LA.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@blackfox there are multiple breaches in the causeway...boat/ferry or helicopter will be the only way on the island for a while

also is this pic is legit the entire end of sanibel has been removed.  The fishing pier etc.  you should not be able to see the base of the lighthouse from that angle.    Where are the 3 buildings that sat at the base of the lighthouse?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202387/4EDA49FB-4589-4597-9F41-37E895C152E7-2543829.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think that access will be blocked?  Your ID has your address, right?  I think they would allow it and I'm sure you have a tender that can put right up on the beach I have an 18' center console that can if you don't. Get there and secure the house and board up windows that have been broken, start removing anything waterlogged.

Can you get offshore and put up a drone anyways?

I have a hurricane pass and could get there if I really wanted to.  There will be no power, no comms and no help for a LONG time.  The causeway bridge is what carried power across to the island (in addition to aerial lines from Pine Island).  To go to the west coast in middle of all that noise and boat to the island would be quite an endeavor just to secure a house that's probably destroyed.  I'm going to wait a few days for my contacts to get comms and then make a decision then.
@blackfox there are multiple breaches in the causeway...boat/ferry or helicopter will be the only way on the island for a while

also is this pic is legit the entire end of sanibel has been removed.  The fishing pier etc.  you should not be able to see the base of the lighthouse from that angle.    Where are the 3 buildings that sat at the base of the lighthouse?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/202387/4EDA49FB-4589-4597-9F41-37E895C152E7-2543829.jpg

Really good points. Not sure now that it's a current picture.

These are from May... (posted earlier)

This one is from the pier.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

After Harvey, I had many people tell me they carried the maximum flood insurance offered but it only covered a fraction of their actual cost to rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What I'm generally being told is that '05 roofing codes dramatically reduced the blown roof syndrome seen in earlier hurricanes.  Sanibel has very strict building codes, and most of the houses meet the new roofing codes.  With that said, it didn't stop blown windows/doors/walls or flooding.  So while the houses may look better from an aerial view (and likely have been much more survivable in a storm), the interiors are gutted.  We shall see. My house has a tiled roof, and I suspect it will still look intact from the air.
View Quote

Is the tile dark colored?
I found one 80-90' boat on google, and it's parked facing north, in front of a house with a dark gray roof.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It will be interesting to see if the surge that took out the causeway took out everything near Tarpon Bay as well.
View Quote

The NBC2 video had a quick scan past the causeway towards Tarpon Bay.  Can't tell the condition of the houses but they all are still standing at least.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
This storm really looks disorganized now.  I'm not seeing an eyewall trying to form on my radar.

Can somebody with more expertise tell us what they are seeing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For those that don't know this - the Sanibel Marina is NOT on Sanibel.  It's on the mainland side.  I have seen zero aerial footage besides the few stills posted by USCG.  I'm kind of curious why they're not letting anyone fly over Sanibel right now....
View Quote

This isn't the marina?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In handling claims, even if someone had no flood insurance or inadequate flood insurance, if the island is uninhabitable, how do insurance companies settle that?

I'm sure if the hurricane had hit the Ukraine the amount would be substantially more per households!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For those that don't know this - the Sanibel Marina is NOT on Sanibel.  It's on the mainland side.  I have seen zero aerial footage besides the few stills posted by USCG.  I'm kind of curious why they're not letting anyone fly over Sanibel right now....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to the 3 minute mark...multiple breaches of the Sanibel Causeway....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvsR7I4o0

Just a guess, but probably because the Coast Guard is doing rescues and they want the airspace clear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
National Guard pushing a hummer through the flood.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
That looks just like Mexico beach devastation, scoured clean down to the slab
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know of any cell/power problems in Port St Lucie ?
My family can't get in touch with my nephew or his wife.

NVM, they texted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure if the hurricane had hit the Ukraine the amount would be substantially more per households!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In handling claims, even if someone had no flood insurance or inadequate flood insurance, if the island is uninhabitable, how do insurance companies settle that?

37billion each if they claim to be Ukrainian
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@BlackFox I'm a mutual friend of @AZneteng

I have 2 spare Iridium Go! units, if you think you could get them to some contacts on Sanibel, that would enable some comms.

Let me know, logistics may make this a futile attempt at help, but I'm willing. I'd need to buy more airtime on their SIM cards, but could do that prior to shipping them out.

DM me if you want to proceed.
View Quote
I got the air time covered M.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well in 2004 they were single wides!  Guess they got upgraded double and triple wides as replacement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fd1diEsWIAAUFV-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Double wides?

Well in 2004 they were single wides!  Guess they got upgraded double and triple wides as replacement.

Hurricane and tornado bait. Most of them look OK, with their awnings blown off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Aerial mapping operations for rapid damage assessments.  They did the same thing the day after Hurricane Ida hit Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Probably smart. I'd expect Skyline's probably got a deeper draft than most things operating in that area, and who knows what was washed where. What was a safe channel days ago might have hidden hazards - then again I don't know what kind of gizmos and sensors you have to avoid that stuff. Not to mention picking a spot to anchor as there are almost certainly no spots to dock.

Any word from your other property? I hope you didn't lose many of those old oaks.

We made out ok, two oak trees down, one landed on the roof but didn't puncture it, we have some broken rafters. Power is still out and we have a big mess to clean up. Was hoping polk would be included in the disaster declaration to help with the trees, but since it's not I guess I'll be out on a ladder with a chainsaw with my husband cussing at me haha
@taylorWhite

how are you making out? I know you said you were worried about what you'd find in daylight, but I didn't catch an update (sorry if I missed it). Hope you're OK!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Just heard on TV that 7 dead confirmed
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This storm really looks disorganized now.  I'm not seeing an eyewall trying to form on my radar.

Can somebody with more expertise tell us what they are seeing?
View Quote

Switch to cloud view instead of radar if possible, it shows a better eye center. I thought we were out of it myself but apparently we were in the eye wall this morning. We are now getting the back side of the storm. Still not too bad although i have heard a few loud thuds in the neighborhood and maybe a transformer blowing in the last couple hours.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Alternate between the well and the fridge, as long as your gennie is big enough to hold up the well pump.

Hopefully your well pump can be easily configured to safely hook to the generator.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well its all over but for the crying here in Punta Gorda.
We came out the other side & it was bad but it could have been way worse. I know it is for a lot of folks.
The eye went right over the house, it was a surreal moment to walk around outside for about half an hour looking at the damage. 2nd time I've done that.

I have shingles missing, some damaged soffit & facia, bent railings, a tree top thru the 2nd floor screen enclosure. The house faired well which I am very grateful for. No idea when we will get power back. No cell service, currently posting from out T-mobile hot spot. Verizon is out totally. Only NBC-2 news casts on the TV.
I'm on a borrowed generator as mine needs a new carb. Its only large enough to keep the fridge on. We're on a well so no running water until I can get my generator working.

Wife ran out to check on the MIL place, she's right on Shell Creek & just had a new roof installed but the home was built in the '50's. I'm not optimistic that it survived, she has no insurance either.

I can't describe the monumental task I have with clean up here. Every tree on my 5 acres is damaged. I'm not equipped to deal with it which has frazzled my last nerve. It will just sit there until such a time I can rent a skid steer & maybe an excavator. Not sure if my homeowners insurance picks up that cost. I'll need a new roof too which is the biggest hit right now.

My thoughts go out to everyone near the coast, you all took it right on the chin.

BTDT with Charley. The genny I'm using belongs to my SIL camper. 120v & not big enough to run mt well pumps.

I know this is a long shot but I need:
A carburetor for a GX240 8.0 Honda Generator.
I'll pay cash.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just heard on TV that 7 dead confirmed
View Quote

Likely going up
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Switch to cloud view instead of radar if possible, it shows a better eye center. I thought we were out of it myself but apparently we were in the eye wall this morning. We are now getting the back side of the storm. Still not too bad although i have heard a few loud thuds in the neighborhood and maybe a transformer blowing in the last couple hours.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll try that.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Seconded. And as much bar oil as you can lug.
View Quote

If you happen to be passing by Lake City, FL on I-75, there’s a local commercial fuel company called GW Hunter Fuel.  They service the local logging industry and usually have pallets of lubricants including chainsaw bar oil.  They’re about 4 miles East of I-75 on US-90.  I’d call first just to be sure though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We're OK. Appreciate you asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@osprey21 Are you and yours doing okay?
We're OK. Appreciate you asking.

good to hear
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just found out my in-laws house in E-wood did ok. Roof is on, generator is running. No flooding on their road. Pool cage is trashed, but that’s it. They’re on the west side of Old Englewood Rd a few hundred yards from lemon bay. I was honestly shocked to hear that update, I assumed it was a loss. Hope others there did as well. Good luck to your dad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad evacuated to Ft. Lauderdale Tuesday night. His house is in Englewood. It's about 300 yards due east of Oyster Creek Country Club right off of hwy 776.

If anyone has a damage report from nearby areas please share. Dad doesn't have flood insurance. We're praying his house survived.

Just found out my in-laws house in E-wood did ok. Roof is on, generator is running. No flooding on their road. Pool cage is trashed, but that’s it. They’re on the west side of Old Englewood Rd a few hundred yards from lemon bay. I was honestly shocked to hear that update, I assumed it was a loss. Hope others there did as well. Good luck to your dad.

That's encouraging news  our biggest concern is flooding since he doesn't have flood insurance. He's been getting a few reports from friends that stayed. They vary from what you have described all the way to total losses. One couple hunkered down to ride it out and had their roof peeled while they were in the house!  

We still haven't gotten a visual on his place yet. Keeping our fingers crossed.  Of those in his immediate vicinity no one has reported flood damage yet. Just wind damage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you know how absolutely selfish you sound? People have lost their houses or have lots of damage and you’re worried about a damned vacation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crazy that a section of the Sanibel Causeway is gone. I've been on that bridge a thousand times. Anyone on Captiva and Sanibel is going to be stuck there for a long time. Any members live in the area?

@Blackbeard28  I'm the only ARF member who lives (well, lived) on Sanibel.  We evacuated for the storm and are fine.  We're filing insurance claims now, but I don't imagine we'll go back to Sanibel for many months given the situation with the bridge.

The sad thing is that my wife and I were discussing heading there next month for our anniversary just over a week ago. That is not happening. There is so much unknown now. Like are there any hotels left? Will they be able to weather the lack of business. It would be good to get a ferry going soon.

Do you know how absolutely selfish you sound? People have lost their houses or have lots of damage and you’re worried about a damned vacation?

Meh, leave the guy alone. Everyone has their own shit they are dealing with. Noones shit is more important than anyone else's. I'm sure he isn't saying none of the other destruction matter and only his vacation matters. Tone and emotion can't be felt thru posts so cut the guy some slack y'all, damn. Bunch of knee jerk emotional filled reactions. This whole storm is a disaster but we don't need to attack each other over petty bullshit
Eta: I see this was sorted out. Sorry, Marie, didn't mean to seem mean to you. I didn't realize I quoted your post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#47]
The Carolinas are prepping. Lots of activity on the beach cams. Surf is up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Time lapse of 15 foot surge.

15ft Storm Surge Washes Away Homes in Ft. Myers Beach - Hurricane Ian

ETA: Ft Meyers Beach
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Recon flight for HiRes photography? Before/after?
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top