BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you BlackFox. I love going there and am genuinely concerned for the local businesses and locals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crazy that a section of the Sanibel Causeway is gone. I've been on that bridge a thousand times. Anyone on Captiva and Sanibel is going to be stuck there for a long time. Any members live in the area?

@Blackbeard28  I'm the only ARF member who lives (well, lived) on Sanibel.  We evacuated for the storm and are fine.  We're filing insurance claims now, but I don't imagine we'll go back to Sanibel for many months given the situation with the bridge.

The sad thing is that my wife and I were discussing heading there next month for our anniversary just over a week ago. That is not happening. There is so much unknown now. Like are there any hotels left? Will they be able to weather the lack of business. It would be good to get a ferry going soon.

People talking about losing their houses there and your vacation plan is "the sad thing?"

Give banditman a break - he didn't mean it that way.  He's a good guy and a local.  In fact, he's the one that recommended I move to Sanibel over a decade ago.  Wait a minute, maybe all of this is his fault!!  

Thank you BlackFox. I love going there and am genuinely concerned for the local businesses and locals.

I know how you meant it, and it is appreciated.  Without the bridge I suspect many of the businesses there will fail.  Sometimes all you can do is go to a place and spend money to help prop up the businesses.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
In handling claims, even if someone had no flood insurance or inadequate flood insurance, if the island is uninhabitable, how do insurance companies settle that?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

Go apply here if you are affected by the storm
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoa! This would get me the hell out of Dodge. Check his video out.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Blackbeard28  I'm the only ARF member who lives (well, lived) on Sanibel.  We evacuated for the storm and are fine.  We're filing insurance claims now, but I don't imagine we'll go back to Sanibel for many months given the situation with the bridge.
View Quote
I read you and it sucks. I feel bad. Sarasota here, new Floridian - we came here for the political environment two years ago.

Sorry man, I feel sorry - for you and for all the people that were affected - we were lucky; almost too lucky to a point where, I say again, I feel bad.

Over and out,

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Damn... it doesn't go very far atm
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL

If you (of all people) can cut him a break, I certainly can.

His post just seemed a little callous.  I have not posted any updates from our situation (3 days of rain & 30+ MPH winds) because it pales in comparison to what you guys down there are dealing with.

Steering back into my lane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give banditman a break - he didn't mean it that way.  He's a good guy and a local.  In fact, he's the one that recommended I move to Sanibel over a decade ago.  Wait a minute, maybe all of this is his fault!!  

LOL

If you (of all people) can cut him a break, I certainly can.

His post just seemed a little callous.  I have not posted any updates from our situation (3 days of rain & 30+ MPH winds) because it pales in comparison to what you guys down there are dealing with.

Steering back into my lane.

It just shows that things like this have effects that ripple out far from the directly affected area.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.  There aren't even landing areas for anything of consequence.
View Quote

They are gonna have to call in LCACs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know how you meant it, and it is appreciated.  Without the bridge I suspect many of the businesses there will fail.  Sometimes all you can do is go to a place and spend money to help prop up the businesses.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crazy that a section of the Sanibel Causeway is gone. I've been on that bridge a thousand times. Anyone on Captiva and Sanibel is going to be stuck there for a long time. Any members live in the area?

The sad thing is that my wife and I were discussing heading there next month for our anniversary just over a week ago. That is not happening. There is so much unknown now. Like are there any hotels left? Will they be able to weather the lack of business. It would be good to get a ferry going soon.

People talking about losing their houses there and your vacation plan is "the sad thing?"

And I will do that if they stay in business. I have a pay it forward mentality.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
@BlackFox I'm a mutual friend of @AZneteng

I have 2 spare Iridium Go! units, if you think you could get them to some contacts on Sanibel, that would enable some comms.

Let me know, logistics may make this a futile attempt at help, but I'm willing. I'd need to buy more airtime on their SIM cards, but could do that prior to shipping them out.

DM me if you want to proceed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In handling claims, even if someone had no flood insurance or inadequate flood insurance, if the island is uninhabitable, how do insurance companies settle that?
View Quote

Flood insurance doesn't have ALE coverage like HOI does .....you're on your own, or reliant on FEMA when it comes to Temporary Housing
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dang, elcope getting incredible images.  Bravo sir.
View Quote

Those are actually kind of encouraging, at least considering what I was expecting.

Blackfox, the crib may be (moderately) ok.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Yep - that last photo finally checks out.  The blue roof is new and does not show up on older aerials.  The house with no roof is a new build, so also doesn't show up.  That's what threw me off.

Murex Lakes is pretty far back from the beach and generally sheltered from the winds and seas that came out of the south.  That actually feels like one of the better places to be.  I'm curious to see the east end, because they're really exposed.  My house is near Tarpon Bay behind the causeway (the one with a boat bigger than the house in the canal ).  It will be interesting to see if the surge that took out the causeway took out everything near Tarpon Bay as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Still haven't heard anything from my cousins godparents in Cape Haze/Placida. Guessing or hoping anyway that cell towers are the reason and only reason for this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]

You just can't kill the Lani Kai.
That restaurant and ice cream / fudge shop by the pier are wiped from existence.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Much appreciated! I passed on what you said and I think it did help her a bit. Not too surprised nothing is going through,  but she is stressed.

She wanted to drive down, but that just doesn't make sense right now. .
View Quote

yeah here's a link to one of the live shots from the corner of that intersection, that racetrac is like 1/4 mile from the address you listed. Although it looks windy and is raining, that's nothing compared to fort myers beach or anything on the coast. Plus the address you listed looks like pretty new construction and those homes are built to a much higher standard for storms. Wind doesn't really knock down modern homes, that's the storm surge that does all that, and that's pretty limited to the beach and coastal. Reporter actually says in there that they picked that spot because it was outside any storm surge area.  There is still 245k out of 288k customers without power in Lee county, I'm sure once things are up and running you'll get a good update

https://www.foxweather.com/watch/play-5ef08bfa9000e7b
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Wish these guys would fly over the campground at Periwinkle, just west of the Causeway Rd.  My FILs house is in there and we're afraid that it's totally gone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Some schools are closing tomorrow here in NC.

We are next NC and SC bros.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
This is where all that missing water in the Gulf of Mexico went!

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Damn. Those last two of Fort Myers Beach are tough to look at. I go there to visit family on the island at least a couple times a year. I'm still waiting to hear the extent of the damage to their house but I guess SAR is still clearing the island.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#28]
If it helps, I got in touch with the Southern Baptists.

David Coggins 800-226-8584 ext 3121
SBC Disaster relief coordinator. They have chainsaw and water rescue teams staged all over Florida.

They are probably feeding too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those are actually kind of encouraging, at least considering what I was expecting.

Blackfox, the crib may be (moderately) ok.
View Quote

What I'm generally being told is that '05 roofing codes dramatically reduced the blown roof syndrome seen in earlier hurricanes.  Sanibel has very strict building codes, and most of the houses meet the new roofing codes.  With that said, it didn't stop blown windows/doors/walls or flooding.  So while the houses may look better from an aerial view (and likely have been much more survivable in a storm), the interiors are gutted.  We shall see. My house has a tiled roof, and I suspect it will still look intact from the air.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Update from my neighbors wife who rode out the storm.

The AMVETS in North Port is no more. It's spread across the street and in some front yards.

My house is 200 yards away and technically in Port Charlotte.

Upside....my garage is dry and secure.

Bad news...shed with generator is gone. My front door and rear sliding glass door blew out and I now have a walk through home. I'm currently getting stuff rounded up and charging my batteries for my power tools so I can head that way asap. I'll likely head down late Friday or early Saturday in the morning.

One neighbor across the street has zero damage. Fully shuttered up.

Neighbor who rode it out had the 2nd floor ceiling fall in. His boat dock is in the middle of the 200' wide canal.

We are currently trying to find someone to secure my place but worse case I'll knock it out Saturday. My Neighbor is heading down to be with his wife probably Saturday also. We will be staying at his place one we get the drywall upstairs cleaned up. His MIL suite didn't get damaged.

I'll try and get some good pictures.

The major upside is I'll now get to do the remodel I've been putting off since I retired.

BTW...if I get down there and we found someone to board my place up, I'll post up here and any Afcomer or family who need supplies will be welcome to what I haul down...

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some schools are closing tomorrow here in NC.

We are next NC and SC bros.
View Quote
Yep, SE NC schools closed tomorrow. Models keep shifting north with lower projected pressure
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Got it and 3 blades. And thanks for the reminder. Stopping at Home Depot to get all the blades I can buy. What I cant use others can. Last Hurricane I went through I used 5 blades in a  day. Wish I had more blades but its all I had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to take a chainsaw if you have one.
Got it and 3 blades. And thanks for the reminder. Stopping at Home Depot to get all the blades I can buy. What I cant use others can. Last Hurricane I went through I used 5 blades in a  day. Wish I had more blades but its all I had.
A truck battery powered sharpener will keep you going longer/faster with the chains you have.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rescue photos and video

View Quote

OMG I eat there a lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Grab a small round file. You can touch up a blade pretty quickly when taking a water break. It doesn't take much to figure it out ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab a small round file. You can touch up a blade pretty quickly when taking a water break. It doesn't take much to figure it out ..

Seconded. And as much bar oil as you can lug.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Has fuckhead called DeSantis yet ?
View Quote

Yes.... Few pages back someone posted something about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy shit 101...my neighbor said the roads are clear around our place. Very few downed trees.
Then again all the shit in my house likely ended up in Orlando...

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the water got inside my house.  We are sitting about a inch of water inside.  We would need a boat to evacuate.

The rain appears to have stopped so I hope the water will go down soon.  If I can just get to my generator I can start running the dehumidifier to mitigate mold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fd1diEsWIAAUFV-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Double wides?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The AMVETS in North Port is no more. It's spread across the street and in some front yards.

Bad news...shed with generator is gone. My front door and rear sliding glass door blew out and I now have a walk through home. I'm currently getting stuff rounded up and charging my batteries for my power tools so I can head that way asap. I'll likely head down late Friday or early Saturday in the morning.

Neighbor who rode it out had the 2nd floor ceiling fall in. His boat dock is in the middle of the 200' wide canal.

We are currently trying to find someone to secure my place but worse case I'll knock it out Saturday. My Neighbor is heading down to be with his wife probably Saturday also. We will be staying at his place one we get the drywall upstairs cleaned up. His MIL suite didn't get damaged.

The major upside is I'll now get to do the remodel I've been putting off since I retired.

BTW...if I get down there and we found someone to board my place up, I'll post up here and any Afcomer or family who need supplies will be welcome to what I haul down...

View Quote
@Cobradriver, glad to hear your property is relatively okay. Such a blessing. Still haven't heard anything from the older couple I know. Guessing it's bc of cell service but a bit worried given their age and the husband has dementia.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

FJB just said that uninsured and underinsured can get up to 37,900 to rebuild and 37,900 for contents.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that whining noise the wind? Holy hell that must've been an experience.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Double wides?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fd1diEsWIAAUFV-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Double wides?

Well in 2004 they were single wides!  Guess they got upgraded double and triple wides as replacement.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well in 2004 they were single wides!  Guess they got upgraded double and triple wides as replacement.
View Quote

And some rich dude lost his gun collection at the end in another tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For those that don't know this - the Sanibel Marina is NOT on Sanibel.  It's on the mainland side.  I have seen zero aerial footage besides the few stills posted by USCG.  I'm kind of curious why they're not letting anyone fly over Sanibel right now....
View Quote
This happened when a big one hit  the keys a few years ago and they were worried about bodies.  They were slow to upload some storm picks even though they posted pics of adjacent properties.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't know if this was posted.

Video at link. Sanibel at 1:18

Sanibel
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Godspeed
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

FJB just said that uninsured and underinsured can get up to 37,900 to rebuild and 37,900 for contents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd help a lot in 1950
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yep, SE NC schools closed tomorrow. Models keep shifting north with lower projected pressure
View Quote

I'm hearing that Ian will restructure into a Cat 1 before it hits Charleston SC.  In comparison to what our FL brothers just went through, it shouldn't be a big deal......I hope.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@Cobradriver, glad to hear your property is relatively okay. Such a blessing. Still haven't heard anything from the older couple I know. Guessing it's bc of cell service but a bit worried given their age and the husband has dementia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to send you my phone number. If you don't hear anything by Saturday...please call. I'm not that far and I'll jump in the truck and run over there if I'm allowed.

BTW...I responded to the arfcomer who emailed me...give me a call and I'll try and help you out!!!

Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top