BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How bad will the weather be for the Orlando area with the forecast we are getting?
View Quote

It may rain a lot and be breezy. Nothing to worry about
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Latest recon said it’s still disorganized and they had trouble finding the center of circulation.
Still moving westward and that’s why the models are shifting westward.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You'd expect lots of trees to fall and significant power outages but Hurricane Irma pruned the area already (depends highly on your utility / local situation)
View Quote

Orlando gets hit every year ...according to the forecast lol.

Even this AM..there the projected eye....right on the mouse lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I live in close proximity to the poster you quoted.  I’m not worried about us, I’m worried about my daughter in TPA.  She’s probably going to be taking a road trip up my way.
View Quote

Right, we in the "wait and see" part of the storm track, currently out outside the "cone of death" here

Wont know for sure till it crosses over Cuba on Mon/ Tues morning.

The Euro models still have it curving more east, banking on the jetstream dip picking it up.

Evac routes from Tampa area will be a nightmare, have her move early if possible
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost forgot, Mike suggests those in the cone video document your property now, for insurance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got a generator and an A/C unit?  After that it's just booze.
View Quote

Lifelong cracker chiming in. Plywood/shutters, multiple gennies (backup) and enough fuel to feed them for a few weeks, multiple window A/C's (backup) then food and booze to last a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing personal to you guys north of us but since getting hit in Cape Coral last time, I hope this one passes us by. I lost roof tiles and my lanai screens plus damage to the palm trees. We got off lucky at that but it still a major pita. No one would touch repairs for months and supplies were nonexistent locally even if you wanted to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lifelong cracker chiming in. Plywood/shutters, multiple gennies (backup) and enough fuel to feed them for a few weeks, multiple window A/C's (backup) then food and booze to last a couple weeks.
View Quote

I'll trade fresh okra, 2 cans of spam fir some whiskey with you...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]

..Prepare for the storm! Batten down the hatches!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I've seen, when the current center of the storm crosses the western longitudinal line of the tip of Jamaica (sometime Sunday afternoon) then we'll have a better idea of which model to be most concerned with. Currently the GFS has the storm heading to the Apalachicola area and the European model has it coming into Tampa Bay.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The shopping panic has already started near St. Pete.  My wife and I do our grocery shopping on Saturday morning around 8:00 to 8:30.  Usually no cars in the parking lot at this time.  Today we arrived, and the lot is darn near full.  Most people exiting the store had cases of bottled water and Charmin.  The adjacent gas station had vehicles in line stretching onto the road.  Get into the store and people are grabbing cases of water and Charmin.  We stuck to our weekly list with a few additions if power is compromised (shelf-stable snacks and some items to put on the smoker).  Usually in and out in less than thirty minutes.  Today it took an hour as the lines for checkout stretched to the rear of the store.

I have a pork picnic on the smoker and have already checked the accordion hurricane shutters, checked the propane tanks, and started putting loose items into the garage.  Pulled pork sandwiches are pretty good.  May smoke a roast for variety early next week.  Smoked roast beef is also yummy.  We do have refillable water containers for water we can use without boiling as a storm will likely lead to a boiled water advisory.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From what I've seen, when the current center of the storm crosses the western longitudinal line of the tip of Jamaica (sometime Sunday afternoon) then we'll have a better idea of which model to be most concerned with. Currently the GFS has the storm heading to the Apalachicola area and the European model has it coming into Tampa Bay.

View Quote

Latest update….

Key Points ?
1. The track has been adjusted farther west. Landfall north of Tampa on Thursday. ?
2. Ian may be weakening as it makes its final landfall in Florida. ?

Our Forecast
?A reconnaissance plane investigating Ian is having a very hard time finding a circulation center. Though Ian looks more impressive on satellite due to decreasing wind shear, it is taking its time organizing. We think that Ian will finally begin to strengthen later today as it moves into a more favorable environment.

There is a definite trend in the latest model guidance in taking Ian farther up the Florida Peninsula for landfall. When a storm is moving nearly parallel to a coast, it is difficult to pinpoint where the center will cross the coast. It does appear that the threat to the lower Florida Peninsula is decreasing, while the threat to the area from Tampa Bay northward is increasing. We are now predicting the center to move inland about 70 miles north of Tampa Bay by noon on Thursday. Once inland, it should turn northward and track into Georgia, where it will steadily weaken to a tropical depression or a remnant low pressure area by next Saturday afternoon.

As for intensity, we think that Ian will reach is peak intensity as it passes western Cuba on Tuesday morning. Once in the Gulf, Ian will be encountering increasing wind shear and an influx of dry air from the west prior to landfall. This will likely weaken Ian prior to landfall north of Tampa.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Forecast strength has increased.  Major hurricane (cat 3) just after passing Cuba now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#16]
If any of you live W. of US19 in Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, etc ......you best be making some serious plans

Remember the "No Name" storm in '93 ????
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in North Pinellas, and can see the Gulf from my street corner. This one is making me nervous.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419958/114740_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind_png-2537300.JPG

Forecast strength has increased.  Major hurricane (cat 3) just after passing Cuba now.
View Quote

Goody, more time over the water the more it will strengthen.

...and the bay is on the bad side with that track.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes! I remember that storm.. because I had to work all day in it, for the citizens of this county. What a that bitch was! Winds were more fierce than most tropical storms.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419958/114740_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind_png-2537300.JPG

Yep... and inland folks who don't know, keep in mind the potential for tornadoes spinning off the eastern side storm bands.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In Virginia, both hurricanes I went thru and two of the tropical storms ended up with one or more of the local cities issuing a boil water alert. It's fairly common depending on where the city gets its water from and how that water source gets impacted by the storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The water grab is born out of ignorance. It is extremely rare for a municipal water system to go down.

If you are on a well system with no back up power I can understand. We have a low pressure artisan well
with a booster pump. If power goes out we still have water but at a much lower flow.

SMH

Explain why you shake your head.

I’m interested as well. If wide spread municple water went down anywhere other than the boonies (which is not where this usually happens) we got bigger shit to worry about than water and I’m not sitting around to deal with it.

Stuart had an issue that year they got hit with two in a row but it basically crushed Stuart and many were on well. FPL is in their back yard and it was 2 weeks in some cases to restore power in the city.

In Virginia, both hurricanes I went thru and two of the tropical storms ended up with one or more of the local cities issuing a boil water alert. It's fairly common depending on where the city gets its water from and how that water source gets impacted by the storm.

I think we have a bit different setup here. I’ve been through more than I can remember and I don’t ever remember having that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Power companies are positioning assets in northern gulf of Florida
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Look like this one may be another nightime storm for us in WCFl.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Orlando area here, full on gas panic going on near me and there's no propane tanks anywhere. Publix was very busy this am.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's going to make landfall smack in the middle of the Big Bend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like it's shifting North, we'll have to see where it is tomorrow night
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can it not?

I just spent 2 hours pulling and cleaning the carb plus a new NGK plug on my 2000w inverter generator to get it running smooth.
Next up will be getting my solar generator stuff together and ready for service if needed for the freezer and refrigerator.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I almost forgot, Mike suggests those in the cone video document your property now, for insurance.
View Quote

What insurance?   Myself and everyone else in FL without a brand new roof got canceled in the last two years.  I have been trying to get a new roof for a while, but you cannot get a loan without insurance and you cannot get insurance without a new roof.  At this point I pretty much have to either win the lotto or hope nothing happens while I save an extra $14k.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All it has to do is hug the coast.... drawing in warm water, filling Tampa bay, and battering everything from Manatee Co. north with rain, wind, and tornados

No power for 11 days after the last one ...... we had to chainsaw our way out of the neighborhood
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Trap shooting at Robinsons ranch, Levy county, on Wednesday morning should be fun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#31]
lot's of road construction near me.

I wonder how those big orange barrel barricades fair in a hurricane...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Like I mentioned earlier....if any of y'all need a floor to sleep on my friend has a few thousand square feet of unused office space you can crash on the floor at. Heck there is plenty of room in the hangar under the aircraft if push comes to shove.

We are just outside of Huntsville. Last time when Irma came through a friend ended almost this far north before she found a room.

He is easy to bribe...just bring Guinness beer.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If any of you live W. of US19 in Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, etc ......you best be making some serious plans

View Quote
Was just talking to a guy at Lowe's before, I was actually getting supplies for work, amongst the madness that has more over taken this area. He was telling me that he bought his house 6 months before a hurricane came through not sure which though, and it's 6 ft above sea level. The water in his area peaked at 8 ft. The insurance paid to renovated his whole home to the tune of 48k. He is in Southwest Pasco.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Gfs keeps pulling more west and is showing LA at this point. I think we are looking at a big bend to Tallahassee strike
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The best thing about Hurricanes is you get literally half a fucking year to prepare.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a cottage booked on Sanibel Island for next weekend. This better not get it cancelled. Fishing will fukin awesome just after a passing storm though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Eyewall appears to be forming in the last few frames -

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a cottage booked on Sanibel Island for next weekend. This better not get it cancelled. Fishing will fukin awesome just after a passing storm though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The best thing about Hurricanes is you get literally half a fucking year to prepare plan properly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#39]
When the first track for landfall was showing south of Tampa with an eastward track towards Brevard (me) I was relieved as first predictions coming true is rarer than winning the lottery

The thing I hate most is trimming the large oak that would cause a lot of damage if it fell. I listen to people tell me it would never come down, too strong but as chief photographer of a Hurricane Andrew book 30 years ago I can assure you thick sails in a big oak on rain soaked ground can come down with tropical storm winds. I saw downed oaks as far away as 100 miles from Andrew's center in North Ft Lauderdale

Trim the small branches let the wind pass through or it be comin down
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Daughter lives in Naples, full on panic since Thursday. She's all set and much better prepared than the last hurricane that hit Naples.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I was heading to our place in New Port Richey Saturday. Looks like it's going to be contingent on if we have electricity. 1 mile from the gulf but 18' elevation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like I may get to test my record of 14 days without power.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#43]
With a hurricane like this. Does it normally roll up the coast of south Carolina?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
With a hurricane like this. Does it normally roll up the coast of south Carolina?
View Quote

By the time it hits SC, it'll just be heavy winds and rain. Florida is the only place really under the gun right now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fuckin bring it ya bitch ass storm
View Quote

Nah, I'm going to shoot at the storm when it hits.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

By the time it hits SC, it'll just be heavy winds and rain. Florida is the only place really under the gun right now.
View Quote
Well... Alabama and Louisiana could be hit pretty hard if it continues to shift west.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, the models just made a hard shift west
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#49]
You do realize that a major Hurricane hitting just north of Tampa Bay is the worst case for Tampa/St Pete.
It exposes the Bay to the right side rotation that would push storm surge into the bay. It has been a while
since I read the report on this, but recall it could totally cover St Pete under many feet of water as well as
any low lying areas in the upper and lower Bay. That latest update does not look good if it stays on that track.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Damn, the models just made a hard shift west
View Quote

Looks like the GFS has been right all along.
It’s going to run the Yucatán passage.
More upper air data is supposed to be in for the evening runs after 6pm tonight.
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top