BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am ready, just need to pick up more beer. Scanning sales and availability right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish I still lived in FL. I love hurricanes, there's something awesome about going outside in the eye of the hurricane.

I am ready, just need to pick up more beer. Scanning sales and availability right now.
Got a generator and an A/C unit?  After that it's just booze.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Got a generator and an A/C unit?  After that it's just booze.
View Quote

Yes to both.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Explain why you shake your head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The water grab is born out of ignorance. It is extremely rare for a municipal water system to go down.

If you are on a well system with no back up power I can understand. We have a low pressure artisan well
with a booster pump. If power goes out we still have water but at a much lower flow.

SMH

I’m interested as well. If wide spread municple water went down anywhere other than the boonies (which is not where this usually happens) we got bigger shit to worry about than water and I’m not sitting around to deal with it.

Stuart had an issue that year they got hit with two in a row but it basically crushed Stuart and many were on well. FPL is in their back yard and it was 2 weeks in some cases to restore power in the city.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ian.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This is going to be ugly for the west coast of FL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m in the middle of the state and I don’t think we’ve been hit with a legit 2. A 1 hitting us caused a mass amount of power loss and days without. It’s going to be a cluster
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m in the middle of the state and I don’t think we’ve been hit with a legit 2. A 1 hitting us caused a mass amount of power loss and days without. It’s going to be a cluster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Lake County is already on the frailest grid of anywhere I’ve ever lived.

If the wind blows a meager 10mph on a normal day with no storms = the power goes out

Better be testing those generators tomorrow if you haven’t yet, fellas
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Just ran into town to WaWa for non-ethenol. Filled 5 5 gallon jugs and the truck. One other older guy there was doing the same and said this was his 2nd trip. Was there earlier and filled his boat up.

If it doesn't get used in a generator then it will go into my daughter's race car or my motorcycles.

Just need to upgrade my gen circuit in the panel to 50amp from 30. Got everything for it, just never did it yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Buying a house near the coast, just got my insurance in place today.  Close on 10/6.  I hope that storm doesn't come up through Destin.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buying a house near the coast, just got my insurance in place today.  Close on 10/6.  I hope that storm doesn't come up through Destin.
View Quote

You probably got insurance just in time, like hours or even minutes...

Insurance companies won't take on any policies with a named storm looming.

Edit: ah nvm, you won't have insurance until closing. Helps to read.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
2pm cst today.  With that noted, close is 10/6, so if it comes up here I just pass on the deal.  Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The water grab is born out of ignorance. It is extremely rare for a municipal water system to go down.

If you are on a well system with no back up power I can understand. We have a low pressure artisan well
with a booster pump. If power goes out we still have water but at a much lower flow.
View Quote

Ignorance, and a complete lack of creativity or problem solving to think "I could just fill previously used containers with tap water"...

The amount of actual preparedness amongst the population is dismally low. Buying water is the universal self-soothing (but utterly pointless) action that the crowds engage in before a storm. Putting up storm shutters? Clearing out potential debris from the yard? Having a generator and fuel? Having a supply of food and the means to prepare it? All of that is garbage that doesn't get considered, by and large.

The Phoenix predictions are what I've worried about for years. It *will* happen, it's just a question of when. Even fewer people study history enough to recognize that A: Tampa Bay's just been lucky, and B: that luck results in a woefully unprepared response system. Having seen that system in action before, I'll just say that if Ian causes a solid 3+ strike on TB, the lawsuits and disciplinary hearings will go on for years, and be truly epic. TB isn't remotely prepared, and I doubt the near-misses of Michael and Irma taught anyone a goddamn thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Gaia is punishing DeSatan.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Do not worry about the hurricane, Desantis is going to send it to Martha's Vineyard.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Buddy on Ft Myers Beach said the Publix on the island had a rush for water and toilet paper. Not sure why the TP blitz. Never has been a major thought in my storm preps.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Phoenix predictions are what I've worried about for years. It *will* happen, it's just a question of when. Even fewer people study history enough to recognize that A: Tampa Bay's just been lucky, and B: that luck results in a woefully unprepared response system. Having seen that system in action before, I'll just say that if Ian causes a solid 3+ strike on TB, the lawsuits and disciplinary hearings will go on for years, and be truly epic. TB isn't remotely prepared, and I doubt the near-misses of Michael and Irma taught anyone a goddamn thing.
View Quote

I live on the bay and I'm pretty terrified right now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#18]
How bad will the weather be for the Orlando area with the forecast we are getting?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’m interested as well. If wide spread municple water went down anywhere other than the boonies (which is not where this usually happens) we got bigger shit to worry about than water and I’m not sitting around to deal with it.

Stuart had an issue that year they got hit with two in a row but it basically crushed Stuart and many were on well. FPL is in their back yard and it was 2 weeks in some cases to restore power in the city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SMH

In Virginia, both hurricanes I went thru and two of the tropical storms ended up with one or more of the local cities issuing a boil water alert. It's fairly common depending on where the city gets its water from and how that water source gets impacted by the storm.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How bad will the weather be for the Orlando area with the forecast we are getting?
View Quote

Right on the bad side of the storm with the current track.
It will have to go over a good bit of land before getting up there. Would be a nasty prolonged high-winds storm at that point. Depends on how much it wants to spin up before it hits land.

The track will swing several times by then. Where it stops no one knows yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in Kissimmee, I will sit tight, depends on landfall
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Subscribed. Gulf Coaster here. Currently at my place in the Redneck Riviera, Perdido Key near NAS Pensacola. So as of now, it will either hit here or at home on the Louisiana Gulf Coast. Screwed either way.
A couple of decent sites.
Track the Tropics
Mikes Weather Page  
View Quote
I'm over in Navarre with a Poulan chain saw, a 15ft zodiac and 22kw generator if you wind up needing help.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

All current guidance has it going to the Tampa area, that's 500 miles away from Destin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, no shit.

Hate to wish that on anyone...

Irma went right over us.  I'm not very exited to experience that again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11AM NOAA is suggesting it will be a Cat 3 on landfall (currently pointed just south of Tampa)..
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092022_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/145524_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
Looking like Ft. Myers. Each update seems to go a bit more east. Hopefully she keeps pulling further east.

Yeah, no shit.

I guess the upside is it might knock over the now dead live oak that Irma killed.

I haven't cut it down because a pair of eagles use it as a hunting perch. The city was getting kinda assholish about it but when I mentioned "Eagles in the tree" the city told me leave it...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, no shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11AM NOAA is suggesting it will be a Cat 3 on landfall (currently pointed just south of Tampa)..
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092022_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/145524_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
Looking like Ft. Myers. Each update seems to go a bit more east. Hopefully she keeps pulling further east.

Yeah, no shit.

I guess the upside is it might knock over the now dead live oak that Irma killed.

I haven't cut it down because a pair of eagles use it as a hunting perch. The city was getting kinda assholish about it but when I mentioned "Eagles in the tree" the city told me leave it...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Loss of power for several days... Short term flooding depending on area... As long as a tornado doesn't drop out of it on your house you'll have high winds that should not be that bad against a house built in the last 15 years (maybe lose some shingles).

Or that... If you're on that coast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I'm one of those horrible Yankee transplants, and it's looking like based off models I'll get to see the center of the eye, lol.

Knowing this shit ain't accurate yet, if it was, what should I expect? Already got an evac plan, and enough supplies to last months.

Loss of power for several days... Short term flooding depending on area... As long as a tornado doesn't drop out of it on your house you'll have high winds that should not be that bad against a house built in the last 15 years (maybe lose some shingles).

Quoted:

You’re gonna die.  Dibs on everything.

Or that... If you're on that coast.

I'm 1 row of houses from a giant saltwater canal.

Any song with "run" in it is my theme.

I'm currently hanging out with my brother in Huntsville. I have floor space in an aircraft hanger or motorhome hookup if any wishes to flee this far north...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

C'mon now....
You are pretty terrified now? Do you get scared easy?
WTF
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

C'mon now....
WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C'mon now....
WTF

Imagining the first floor of my house under 12ft of water, yeah, it's a bit concerning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#29]
And SE TN is expected to be in the mid 70's…..thank you FL!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Imagining the first floor of my house under 12ft of water, yeah, it's a bit concerning.
View Quote

12 ft is a drag.. Hey, I've lived in West Central Florida since 1974, and I understand your concern. For many years was a first responder working through many storms / hurricanes. I've never seen that kind of flooding and hope to never ever see it.
But being terrified is not the way. No one should be in these situations. I agree it is concerning due to the potential impact that it could bring. For me it's after the storm what could be an issue..
My property area or AO will not be messed with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. If I think a storm is coming that will take out the municipal water system I’m evacuating else where.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What point are you making?

https://i.imgur.com/3JTOvfj.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gettin a little ahead of yourself aren't you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/two_atl_5d0_png-2533898.JPG
What point are you making?

https://i.imgur.com/3JTOvfj.png

Man, that whole look back feature in life is a bitch, ain't it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hey now - you live in NOVA.  Talk to me about bread and milk when there's 1/4" of snow on the ground!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That just blows my mind that people aren't already prepared.   Must be great to live with no situational awareness and no preps.

Hey now - you live in NOVA.  Talk to me about bread and milk when there's 1/4" of snow on the ground!!  
How would I know?  I don't go out for that stuff when its snowing.  I already have it or I'll make my own bread.  

But you are correct, the crazies come out with a dusting of snow.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#34]
This morning at 7:00 I went to a Winn Dixie store in Brandon to pick up a couple of extra things.

Usually if I go to this store early in morning there are two or three other customers besides myself.

Today there were about 50 waiting for the store to open.

The Manager unlocked the door and told the crowd that they were out of bottled water.  About a third of the customers left.

On the way out I talked to the Manager for a couple of minutes.  He said that yesterday was pretty hectic.  He expects today and tomorrow to be bat shit crazy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

If does a Charlie, pretty bad. Charlie had a much similar predicted track but it ended up making landfall way earlier and steadily moved eastward. By the time it got to central Fl. it was pretty much over Orlando.

Lots of people had fled Tampa to Orlando and were right under it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#36]
My buddy just bought a new place and moved in last month on the beach in St Pete. Not looking good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All current guidance has it going to the Tampa area, that's 500 miles away from Destin.
View Quote
I see that, but there things are unpredictable.  Just a few days ago it was a complete crapshoot, but it does look like TB is in the crosshairs.  I hope everyone will be ok.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in close proximity to the poster you quoted.  I’m not worried about us, I’m worried about my daughter in TPA.  She’s probably going to be taking a road trip up my way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

12 ft is a drag.. Hey, I've lived in West Central Florida since 1974, and I understand your concern. For many years was a first responder working through many storms / hurricanes. I've never seen that kind of flooding and hope to never ever see it.
But being terrified is not the way. No one should be in these situations. I agree it is concerning due to the potential impact that it could bring. For me it's after the storm what could be an issue..
My property area or AO will not be messed with.
View Quote

I was in Gulfport the morning after Katrina.  Prior to that, flooding wasn’t even on my radar.  The things I saw changed my mind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This. If I think a storm is coming that will take out the municipal water system I’m evacuating else where.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Water mains break/get damaged up here and the water still flows but it's under a boil water first advisory.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup, Lake County is already on the frailest grid of anywhere I've ever lived.

If the wind blows a meager 10mph on a normal day with no storms = the power goes out

Better be testing those generators tomorrow if you haven't yet, fellas
View Quote

Try being in my part of Lake County.
In 5 minutes I can be in lake,Marion and Volusia.
Lol.

Fucking squirrel farts running down a line...shit goes out lol.

We gotta run into town today anyway. So figure to fill up our empty cans...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Remember the last time a cane was to hit.
Complete gridlock on I95.

We haven't had a badcstorm since( last few years).

We have however grown in population big time.
That's thousands of scared " transplants " who've never been in one. Who will clog roads,,,empty shelves...and run pumps dry.

New residents should have to pass a hurricane prep class when they receive thier drivers license
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’d expect lots of trees to fall and significant power outages but Hurricane Irma pruned the area already (depends highly on your utility / local situation)
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Redneck Riviera is going to be ok. I'm sitting in P'cola right now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Gonna be interesting to see how much it fuels up when it hit that warm water.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm over in Navarre with a Poulan chain saw, a 15ft zodiac and 22kw generator if you wind up needing help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subscribed. Gulf Coaster here. Currently at my place in the Redneck Riviera, Perdido Key near NAS Pensacola. So as of now, it will either hit here or at home on the Louisiana Gulf Coast. Screwed either way.
A couple of decent sites.
Track the Tropics
Mikes Weather Page  
Thanks @stoner63a . You are good people. I'm ok, on the 7th floor of a condo. (2nd home) I can evac to LA if needed. If you are anyone else needs, let me know too. Thats what this place is all about.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#48]
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Today, Governor Ron DeSantis issued Executive Order 22-218, declaring a State of Emergency for 24 counties in the potential path of Tropical Depression 9.

Additionally, Governor DeSantis has requested a federal pre-landfall Emergency Declaration in anticipation of impacts from the storm. This declaration will make available important resources and support,

as well as free up funding sources for emergency protective measures. Under this this emergency order, members of the Florida National Guard will be activated and on standby awaiting orders.

https://www.flgov.com/2022/09/23/governor-ron-desantis-declares-state-of-emergency-for-24-counties-urges-floridians-to-prepare-for-impacts-from-tropical-depression-9/

https://www.floridadisaster.org/counties/

https://www.floridadisaster.org/
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was in Gulfport the morning after Katrina.  Prior to that, flooding wasn’t even on my radar.  The things I saw changed my mind.
View Quote

I hear ya..
I have witnessed flooding during these storms around here. But, IMO the wind is the absolute worst. I still recall several storms, with Charlie being one of the nastiest. Also, I saw a bit of what hurricane Andrew did, and I'm certainly aware of the catastrophic damage that they can deliver.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Mikes Weather Page is on live now. He's in Tampa.
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top