Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
All we need is a chainsaw. I think I'm capable of downing the rest of the trees :) my husband may disagree, but he always does lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thoughts and prayers go out to the folks affected by hurricane Ian.

With that said I am truly amazed by your palm trees. They must be built from the same material as
Special Forces, Recon Marines, Navy Seals, Air Force PJs and un split pistachio nuts. Tough as nails.

I imagine Floridians are built of the same tough material and will bend, bounce and spring back to life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All we need is a chainsaw. I think I'm capable of downing the rest of the trees :) my husband may disagree, but he always does lol
View Quote

Asap ??? Where are you guys at ???

It looks like the storage shed is still in my backyard, the roof is off. That's where my saw is. We don't really have much down around my place tree wise. I'll be in Port Charlotte Saturday sometime, by the North Port AMVETS. You are more than welcome to use it. It's brand new/barely used after Irma...

Chris

ETA...I even have a gallon of bar oil and two stroke mix I can toss in....
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Asap ??? Where are you guys at ???

It looks like the storage shed is still in my backyard, the roof is off. That's where my saw is. We don't really have much down around my place tree wise. I'll be in Port Charlotte Saturday sometime, by the North Port AMVETS. You are more than welcome to use it. It's brand new/barely used after Irma...

Chris

We are in lakeland, no flooding but the wind twisted off the tops of trees all around the county. The tree is a safety hazard, I just don't want it to give way and hurt anyone near the house/on our sidewalk. We can 1000% wait, I know there are others in much greater need

View Quote

We are in lakeland, no flooding but the wind twisted off the tops of trees all around the county. The tree is a safety hazard, I just don't want it to give way and hurt anyone near the house/on our sidewalk. We can 1000% wait, I know there are others in much greater need

Quote fixed -ec
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are supposed to be buildings and beach and concrete surrounding the Sanibel Light.  There's a massive amount of structure that's not there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are supposed to be buildings and beach and concrete surrounding the Sanibel Light.  There's a massive amount of structure that's not there.
But the light survived. Is that a screw pile structure?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Google earth shows 23 @ my parents place,that app shows 7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is encouraging. My parents place is just a bit north of there in Nokomis. Any idea of the elevation of their home,my parents are about 23ft above sea level.

@m1awolf

https://whatismyelevation.com/
That website shows my mom's house at 3'

Google earth shows 23 @ my parents place,that app shows 7

I just figured out that Google Earth measures the height of buildings and trees. So for accurate elevation make sure your pointer is over the street in front of the house.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The wife and I just drove around the neighborhood to check for downed trees and if the flooding is bad. Not bad in my hood but we did find a downed power line in the road and reported it to fpl. They said no one had called yet and that street hasn't had power all day. Hood life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stupid bitch
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sanibel didn't force people off the island before the storm, but they are now.  My neighbor is a captain (go figure) and he shuttled people to/from the island all day today.  LE/EMS are actively using my storm dock for staging, and everyone on the island is being actively moved off.  We are MONTHS away from having power, utilities and support on Sanibel.  It will take many years to rebuild and recover.  

I suppose the good news is that my house is standing.  My neighbor said water reached the second floor, and there are doors/windows compromised (I have full shutters that were deployed).  I don't imagine I'll ever be back.  

Us a decade ago in front of Sanibel Light:

Docked in front of our house:

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Desantis just said at his press conference that a lot of people waved rescue crews away, and said they're staying/fine. Those numbers don't seem to account for that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sanibel didn't force people off the island before the storm, but they are now.  My neighbor is a captain (go figure) and he shuttled people to/from the island all day today.  LE/EMS are actively using my storm dock for staging, and everyone on the island is being actively moved off.  We are MONTHS away from having power, utilities and support on Sanibel.  It will take many years to rebuild and recover.  

I suppose the good news is that my house is standing.  My neighbor said water reached the second floor, and there are doors/windows compromised (I have full shutters that were deployed).  I don't imagine I'll ever be back.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/81947.PNG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/83293.JPG
View Quote
I'm so sorry Travis. I was holding out hope your house would be okay but it looks like you'll be lucky if you can live in it within the next 6 months minimum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fuck him.

COC
View Quote

there's no COC that applies, as he's not a member..... cut loose brother, say what's on your mind!

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks !!! Added to my list !!!!!!!!

That was my plan but ideas always help !!!

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the Chris repair shitshow hits the road late Friday or early Saturday.

I've lined a guy up near Huntsville that'll make all the metal for a new roof in a week. Very reasonable price and said he'd bump me to the front of the line for my small order.

So far the plan is to run down, secure my place, help my neighbors and the three dudes that emailed me about a  looksee on their properties. Then I'll start making a list of materials I need to get ordered to fix my walk through living quarters. I've got an appointment in the morning to talk to a guy about a quick window and door order. Friend of a friend deal.

It'll be a pain in the ass but I'll likely haul my supplies from up here to down south. Over the next month I'll be making a couple of trips from Huntsville to Port Charlotte so if anyone needs anything and I can fit it on a 18' dovetail trailer...I'll do what  I can. Even as busy as people are building around here, it seems that it is easier to locate supplies, it's just a haul....

Water and food is available at the end of my street.

Dewalt circular saw, recip saw, drills, impact driver, blades, 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, deck screws, tarps, bits, roll or two of tar paper, tar paper nails.

Guns are currently being rescued by the neighbor lady after she figured out how to open my safe....

Main breaker is off, weatherhead is standing upright, but I won't have water until I rebuild the walls around my well equipment. Everything departed the slab according to my neighbor.

My goal for this fall is to get the well working, the roof done, house secured, and the ac running for moisture control. We have a calvary that's going to be arriving over the weekend so we just need to hold on until Sunday.....

I wish everyone the best that's dealing with this shitshow. I might just start a "What a disaster this is" in GD for my sanity and your entertainment. I'm kinda twisted that way...

Add a few bundles of 1 x 2 furring strips - makes securing a tarp to the roof a bit easier.  Save the 2 x 4's for covering up windows/doors with the plywood.  Add some threaded rod and nuts to your kit.  2 x 4 across the inside of the window - cut long to overlap trim - plywood cut oversized on outside - threaded rod through the 2 x 4 and plywood - use nuts to clamp ply to 2 x 4 so you don't have to screw/nail into your siding or drywall on on the inside.

Chris

Chris, I would suggest a peel and stick membrane instead of tar paper under the metal roofing. It will last longer, and forms a secondary barrier to water.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

there's no COC that applies, as he's not a member..... cut loose brother, say what's on your mind!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.

COC

Ignore him... he's a bad influence.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
This was the view from our condo on Sanibel...I am hopeful I will see this again.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Family’s house on Ft Myers Beach survived! They just sent a photo and even his 18’ Maverick flats boat stayed tied up in the carport.

A damn relief that it’s still standing. Hopefully they’ll be able to get out there this weekend to evaluate it.

View Quote

Great news!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great pics. Glad the mothership is safe.

That lighthouse is one tough SOB.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit man that's terrible. Did you manage to save the boat somehow? That thing is beautiful
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Holy shit man that's terrible. Did you manage to save the boat somehow? That thing is beautiful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the old boat. Skyline is safe!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I havnt been up to date on this entire thread but was hoping you would chime in. Glad you and your family are safe, absolutely horrible what happened down there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ok at least there's some light in all this darkness.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Family house on little Gasparilla.

Attachment Attached File

Neighbors up front.

Attachment Attached File

1st world problems, but still sucks.

Entrance to some acreage I have.  

Attachment Attached File

2 saws went down today.  Short term is the suck.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

BONITA SPRINGS: A Plymouth vehicle was turned upside down outside of a luxury beachside property which was badly affected by the storm

View Quote
"Plymouth vehicle"

If that's a legit Superbird, damn
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The stupid:

My small satisfaction:

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Cajun Navy making rescues in Florida after Hurricane Ian
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Maybe this can help someone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Heard from my dad and stepmother.

No power or cell service at home in Port Charlotte, but they're good.  They got very lucky, considering.  Haven't heard of any major damage to their house or neighborhood.  21xxx Sheldon Ave, if anyone else has someone in that area.

They're out driving around, checking out the damage now.  Should be sending us pics.
View Quote

Right on.

ETA: Do you know how its looking just east of the 75/93?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

@BlackFox, sorry to you and all your neighbors that have had this destruction.
If your looking for a new home port though might I suggest looking at Pensacola area. We could alway use another pirate at our local sandbar!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, sorry buddy.

Looks like a great house.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been through 7 hurricanes, I moved to FL a week before Francis hit then we got creamed by jean. we had no Genny. we were out of power for 12 days after Francis. It was miserable. My bedroom had 200 inches of water in it and I slept on the leathe4r couch in the living room. I woke up every morning stuck to the leather and it was truly miserable. If you live in FL get a damn genny and a window unit ac. We had a friend loan us a small genny for Jean and it was an incredible feeling to be able to run a fan. Somehow out direct tv worked after both and we were able to get updated. Had to go to the turnpike gas station to get any gas. Got hit by both eye walls and lost our roof and totaled my car.

Hurricanes are no joke. The  power they bring can't be imagined until you experience it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In-laws just made it back home in Port Charlotte. No surge. Minor damage considering. Some roof leaks and a couple shutters blown off. THey have power, no water. Cell seems to be working. They are a few blocks off the Myakka river and south of North Port. Amazing!
View Quote

Good to hear of this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

For once in my life, I am speechless..... Sorry my friend.

Don't know what I have to offer, but if I have it, it's yours.  Mel said the same.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was Blue. Great boat, but he has moved on to other things.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a Cat1 again, headed North to GA and SC.

Even though it's only a Cat1 it's bringing lots of water.

Be safe and have your preps ready.
View Quote

This is no joke. I’d take a cat 2-3 over this bitch any day. The amount of damage from a variety of factors is insane. The back side of it is like an eye wall from eye wall to basically zero wind. Back side was 8 straight hours of 70 and it dropped to 20 in 2
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment.
In reality that is what is happening to the Outer Banks. There is less and less of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Travis,

I got a bottle of Scotch that says that in 6 months, you'll be able to dock your boat at your house on Sanibel.

Florida surprises. Prove me wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Travis,

I got a bottle of Scotch that says that in 6 months, you'll be able to dock your boat at your house on Sanibel.

I'll match that bottle with 5 more, as long as I can come down and have a dram. Always wanted to visit FL.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sooo... Wife is due with our second child in less than two weeks, and the current path, per windy.com, goes directly over our house south/West of Charleston.

Odds I'm driving to the maternity ward tomorrow during a hurricane?
View Quote

Howdy Neighbor! Hope everything goes well - stay safe! Should be okay here, cross my fingers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I’m sitting here annoyed that I had a little water ingress in the foyer
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll match that bottle with 5 more, as long as I can come down and have a dram. Always wanted to visit FL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Travis,

Im glad Ill be in Montana... plausible deniability is a thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lmao, I live in Virginia park if you know what neighborhood that is. I'm on the rockledge side, less than a block north of rosa l jones. I hear a generator or two running. I think the next street over lost power last night. I watched a couple of their transformers pop last night
View Quote

Are you familiar with Bernice Rd ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Holy shit, A Superbird AND a Daytona !!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao, I live in Virginia park if you know what neighborhood that is. I'm on the rockledge side, less than a block north of rosa l jones. I hear a generator or two running. I think the next street over lost power last night. I watched a couple of their transformers pop last night

Possibly but without knowing the name. I believe it's north of rosa? The downed power line was across bright man in between Carolina and Georgia. We're on varr.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Chris, I would suggest a peel and stick membrane instead of tar paper under the metal roofing. It will last longer, and forms a secondary barrier to water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the Chris repair shitshow hits the road late Friday or early Saturday.

I've lined a guy up near Huntsville that'll make all the metal for a new roof in a week. Very reasonable price and said he'd bump me to the front of the line for my small order.

So far the plan is to run down, secure my place, help my neighbors and the three dudes that emailed me about a  looksee on their properties. Then I'll start making a list of materials I need to get ordered to fix my walk through living quarters. I've got an appointment in the morning to talk to a guy about a quick window and door order. Friend of a friend deal.

It'll be a pain in the ass but I'll likely haul my supplies from up here to down south. Over the next month I'll be making a couple of trips from Huntsville to Port Charlotte so if anyone needs anything and I can fit it on a 18' dovetail trailer...I'll do what  I can. Even as busy as people are building around here, it seems that it is easier to locate supplies, it's just a haul....

Water and food is available at the end of my street.

Dewalt circular saw, recip saw, drills, impact driver, blades, 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, deck screws, tarps, bits, roll or two of tar paper, tar paper nails.

Guns are currently being rescued by the neighbor lady after she figured out how to open my safe....

Main breaker is off, weatherhead is standing upright, but I won't have water until I rebuild the walls around my well equipment. Everything departed the slab according to my neighbor.

My goal for this fall is to get the well working, the roof done, house secured, and the ac running for moisture control. We have a calvary that's going to be arriving over the weekend so we just need to hold on until Sunday.....

I wish everyone the best that's dealing with this shitshow. I might just start a "What a disaster this is" in GD for my sanity and your entertainment. I'm kinda twisted that way...

Add a few bundles of 1 x 2 furring strips - makes securing a tarp to the roof a bit easier.  Save the 2 x 4's for covering up windows/doors with the plywood.  Add some threaded rod and nuts to your kit.  2 x 4 across the inside of the window - cut long to overlap trim - plywood cut oversized on outside - threaded rod through the 2 x 4 and plywood - use nuts to clamp ply to 2 x 4 so you don't have to screw/nail into your siding or drywall on on the inside.

Chris

I'm probably going to do a thread in GD about the rebuild to keep my sanity.

Once I get rolling on the actual repairs I'll have questions...

I've done a couple of houses in Ohio but none in Florida.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Holy shit, A Superbird AND a Daytona !!!
View All Quotes

That's the devastation cherry on top on this devastation sundae
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top