Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sanibel didn't force people off the island before the storm, but they are now.  My neighbor is a captain (go figure) and he shuttled people to/from the island all day today.  LE/EMS are actively using my storm dock for staging, and everyone on the island is being actively moved off.  We are MONTHS away from having power, utilities and support on Sanibel.  It will take many years to rebuild and recover.  

I suppose the good news is that my house is standing.  My neighbor said water reached the second floor, and there are doors/windows compromised (I have full shutters that were deployed).  I don't imagine I'll ever be back.  

Us a decade ago in front of Sanibel Light:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/81947.PNG

Docked in front of our house:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/83293.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sanibel didn't force people off the island before the storm, but they are now.  My neighbor is a captain (go figure) and he shuttled people to/from the island all day today.  LE/EMS are actively using my storm dock for staging, and everyone on the island is being actively moved off.  We are MONTHS away from having power, utilities and support on Sanibel.  It will take many years to rebuild and recover.  

I suppose the good news is that my house is standing.  My neighbor said water reached the second floor, and there are doors/windows compromised (I have full shutters that were deployed).  I don't imagine I'll ever be back.  

My shitshow pales in comparison.  Do what you can and drive forward....

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best wishes for wherever you land. I know you will come out shining, you have that spirit about you. Hate that something out of your control created this issue for you but I am certain if anyone can make lemonade out of lemons it is you. Gopdspeed going forward.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My parents got a text from their neighbor in Nokomis. They say that my parents house lost a few roof tiles but no other visible damage on the outside and that everything seemed intact on the inside with no water leaks /damage and the power was back on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Possibly but without knowing the name. I believe it's north of rosa? The downed power line was across bright man in between Carolina and Georgia. We're on varr.
View Quote

3 blocks South of you. Mrs used to own a house there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Family's house on Ft Myers Beach survived! They just sent a photo and even his 18' Maverick flats boat stayed tied up in the carport.

A damn relief that it's still standing. Hopefully they'll be able to get out there this weekend to evaluate it.

View Quote
Glad to hear that
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My son in Cape Coral found our family friend. No contact with him until about 7 since he left on foot to look for her amid the wreckage. Her house is fucked. Also has a nice World Cat boat shoved into her patio doors now.  Got her to where I could pick them up

Dropped off everything I brought over to their church. Saved 10 gallons for myself to get back home. Brough her with me and she is now at my moms.

Saw Alfred Montaner over there (Chit Show)

Going back Friday tomorrow after work with shit loads of blue tarps
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My mom's trip to Punta Gorda won't be happening now.  She was planning to be here.

So much for these plans
https://abc-7.com/news/local/2022/08/30/fishermens-village-in-punta-gorda-could-have-multi-million-dollar-expansion/

My aunt and uncle have a condo in Ft Myers where they spend the winter. It faired OK as far as I know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Dam.. the amount of damage is unreal, what's left of it is coming my way, as of the latest it is suppose to be a cat 1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly but without knowing the name. I believe it's north of rosa? The downed power line was across bright man in between Carolina and Georgia. We're on varr.

Is that south of pluckebaum?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to hear this my old friend, thought of you right away when they mentioned Sanibel on the news this morning. Glad you and family are OK, will keep you in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My son in Cape Coral found our family friend. No contact with him until about 7 since he left on foot to look for her amid the wreckage. Her house is fucked. Also has a nice World Cat boat shoved into her patio doors now.  Got her to where I could pick them up

Dropped off everything I brought over to their church. Saved 10 gallons for myself to get back home. Brough her with me and she is now at my moms.

View Quote

Finders keepers should apply for the boat
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well bro looks like we wont be meeting up on our boats in the bay this weekend.  lol but not lol at all

Sorry about your place and Sanibel is a very dear place for me as well. It will never be the same. I bet all the mom and pop places that made it so nice will be taken over by mega corporate bullshit and more highrises and less quaint little quiet areas that made it special. Gonna be a  friggin mini manhattan after they  rebuild. No more Island Cow or Bubble Room type places. No more quaint quiet on the beach cottages.

Man the more I think about it the more it sucks. It was my one true escape within the State I escaped to multiple times  a year since I was a little kid. I really hope the Government in  Sanibel  keep the big bullshit out and lets the little guys come back first. Its what made Sanibel, Sanibel

And you loved it so much you made it home. I cant even fathom
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know who owns the 2 Plymouths pictured a couple pages back?   If you know who owns them, I'd be willing to arrange for some storage for them for as long as necessary so long as those cars don't head to a scrapper.  Tag me if you know the owners and I'll get the ball rolling.  

ETA: I don't mean to minimize what has happened in FL by any means.  I can't do a whole lot but I would be happy to help two pieces of automotive history avoid going to the scrapper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Made contact with and accounted for all family. There are still some struggles but everyone is OK. Thank you everyone for your kind words, wishes, and prayers.  At least four homes in the family have been destroyed.

Wife and I are headed to the area in the coming days. We'll have enough provisions to self-sustain for more than two-weeks (including tire repair kits, tools, saws, etc.) and are bringing some specifics to family members. I don't know exactly how much extra room we'll have, but if someone has a need in the Kelly Greens/Palmetto Palms/Siesta Bay, Summerlin and San Carlos area please do not hesitate to ask. We'll do whatever we can.

Hopefully some limited cellular will be available by Sunday, but we're assuming that our only reliable outside comms will be the Iridium Go!. Not a great tool to update ARFCOM, but good enough to communicate necessities to those in need. We'll have some 2M/70cm amateur and commercial radios, too.

Thanks again, everyone, and best of luck to you all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got word my buddy and his wife and kids are ok.
They just closed on a house on Sanibel a couple weeks earlier.  They were still living in a rental nearby and stayed in it yesterday.
It was near the nature preserve.
He was just telling my brother how he was stress about getting new tile put in before his lease was up.  
Im so pissed he stayed.  He didnt need to and had many places to stay over here on the east coast. Including his parents.

His parents also have/had a house near Gramma dots.
Both his cars and his new house are most likely total losses.
His parents house is most likely destroyed as well.

I will know for sure once the Noaa imagery is posted.
I dont know much more about how he made it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well bro looks like we wont be meeting up on our boats in the bay this weekend.  lol but not lol at all

Sorry about your place and Sanibel is a very dear place for me as well. It will never be the same. I bet all the mom and pop places that made it so nice will be taken over by mega corporate bullshit and more highrises and less quaint little quiet areas that made it special. Gonna be a  friggin mini manhattan after they  rebuild. No more Island Cow or Bubble Room type places. No more quaint quiet on the beach cottages.

Man the more I think about it the more it sucks. It was my one true escape within the State I escaped to multiple times  a year since I was a little kid. I really hope the Government in  Sanibel  keep the big bullshit out and lets the little guys come back first. Its what made Sanibel, Sanibel

And you loved it so much you made it home. I cant even fathom
View Quote

Unless the hurricane blew away the no high-rise law, I'd say they're good there. I hope some of the restaurants are well enough insured to make it. This was obviously a worse storm than Charley, but they rebuilt after that and will after this too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The wife and I were just talking about this, though more so about FMB. So many of the cottages and older houses have been wiped away, almost surely to be replaced by the four-story modern homes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against modernization, but the character of FMB has changed forever.

We used to rent a beach house on Estero Blvd down by the library that was built in 1928. From the aerial views it unbelievably looks to still be standing (no doubt in part to the four-story homes on either side) but I'm sure it's ultimately going to be a total loss.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unless the hurricane blew away the no high-rise law, I'd say they're good there. I hope some of the restaurants are well enough insured to make it. This was obviously a worse storm than Charley, but they rebuilt after that and will after this too.
View Quote

I was amazed at how little damage charley did to the Islands. Well its wasn't exactly little but nothing like it could have been

Seeing as the entire economy was literally scrubbed off the island I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed all kinds of big shit in to make up for it. Bet they change many rules to accomodate more income
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Ugh. I should have studied in high school.

Thank you for all the info you are providing in the thread.

I love the area, and hope to see it back soon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think it matters what they build it with. If you're on the ocean side of a big hurricane you're going to get demolished. The surge undercuts foundations and batters buildings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can rebuild it. They have the technology. It will be stronger.
I don't think it matters what they build it with. If you're on the ocean side of a big hurricane you're going to get demolished. The surge undercuts foundations and batters buildings.

The photographic evidence proves he is right.  Look at some of those houses that look pristine, even the stair railings are intact, right next to piles of rubble where a house used to be.

Its pretty clear which houses were built to spec or retrofitted to be hurricane resistant.  It is quite remarkable how some of them, while potentially still damaged inside, really stood up to the test.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's the old boat. Skyline is safe!
View Quote

I was gonna say "It's blue, but it's even smaller than the house".
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The photographic evidence proves he is right.  Look at some of those houses that look pristine, even the stair railings are intact, right next to piles of rubble where a house used to be.

Its pretty clear which houses were built to spec or retrofitted to be hurricane resistant.  It is quite remarkable how some of them, while potentially still damaged inside, really stood up to the test.
View Quote

If you look at the aerial photos taken after Irma you could easily see  which houses faired the best.
No gable, small soffit, metal roof, CBS.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Know what's happened to the other place yet?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Time lapse of 15 foot surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

ETA: Ft Meyers Beach
View Quote

That was one well built house.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My parents got a text from their neighbor in Nokomis. They say that my parents house lost a few roof tiles but no other visible damage on the outside and that everything seemed intact on the inside with no water leaks /damage and the power was back on.
View Quote

Great news!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Family house on little Gasparilla.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/Screensho_5__jpg-2544368.JPG

Neighbors up front.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/IMG_2030_JPG-2544370.JPG

1st world problems, but still sucks.

Entrance to some acreage I have.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/1664499381071_jpg-2544373.JPG

2 saws went down today.  Short term is the suck.

View Quote

Hey Undaunted do you have any more pictures of little Gasparilla island I have family there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

@BlackFox

Sorry to hear, but maybe its foretelling of your future success with your own island (I miss that thread ??).

Good luck and stay safe!

jpk
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93999/Fd10EN2XgAAbQgx-2544386.jpg

Maybe this can help someone.
View Quote

Which would be fine if there was internet or cell service. They did the same in Puerto Rico after Maria hit failing to recognize that the island didn't have cell, landline, internet or even power.

Once folks can reach someplace that does have internet and/or cell, then their 3 methods should work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The stupid:

My small satisfaction:

View Quote

Well done.

If there's an Arfcom chain saw/bar oil/generator fund, please point me to it.  @Blackfox gave me a great pair of boots on the evening of Jan 5, now it's my turn to pay it forward.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised to hear you say that.  I would be quite surprised if they didn't have a temporary bridge up and going within a month, if not weeks.  It's a relatively small island and won't take that long to clean up and get power and utilities back online.  Have a little faith in your fellow man, especially with the kind of leadership you have at the helm at present

You don't imagine you'll every be back, why?  Planning to relocate to the island anyway, so you'll have the house fixed up and then sell it?  It sounds like your place fared pretty well all things considered, so I'm curious why such a statement.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#34]

WTNT64 KNHC 300311

TCUAT4

Hurricane Ian Tropical Cyclone Update NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL 1115 PM EDT Thu Sep 29 2022

AL092022

...AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND IAN A LITTLE STRONGER...

Reports from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Ian's maximum winds have increased to near 85 mph (140 km/h).

SUMMARY OF 1115 PM EDT...0315 UTC... INFORMATION

LOCATION...30.2N 79.3W

ABOUT 185 MI...295 KM S OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA ABOUT 265 MI...430 KM SSW OF CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 30 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...984 MB... 29.06 INCHES

$$

Forecaster Pasch/Berg

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salvage rights?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like it might strengthen again before hitting SC.

And it’s way out there, but another yellow X is coming off Africa on NHCs map.  Hopefully it doesn’t come across.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Demoncrats. Forever classy and inclusive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hey Undaunted do you have any more pictures of little Gasparilla island I have family there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Family house on little Gasparilla.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/Screensho_5__jpg-2544368.JPG

Neighbors up front.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/IMG_2030_JPG-2544370.JPG

1st world problems, but still sucks.

Entrance to some acreage I have.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/1664499381071_jpg-2544373.JPG

2 saws went down today.  Short term is the suck.

I'll check @rcguy . Dock number? Location? We are going Saturday with mats. Pm if your bunch has particular needs. We are dock 69...straight across from the ramps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Chucking Funt she is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#41]
@BlackFox

Sent an IM but not sure it went through.

Any way you can see who's been rescued from Sanibel? My wife works at the sanctuary golf club and has one coworker they haven't talked to since 11am Wednesday when she said her house was flooding. I don't know the address, her name is Maria Delellis.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone heard anything on Tremont Street in Ft Myers? Just north east of Fort Myers beach. Had a friend that stayed with his kids, but haven’t heard anything since early Wednesday morning.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I have been to busy to keep up with the aftermath. I sat through the last hurricane that came through Myrtle Beach SC in a beach front condo. Crazy experience, but it was 7 floors up and hurricane proof.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:00:29 AM EDT
[#44]
My aunt has a condo in the Ocean's Reach condo complex on Sanibel. She has no idea how bad the damage is. We had one quick glimpse from a video taken by helicopter which makes the roof look pretty damaged but can't really see much. We're assuming it's pretty well wiped out.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

So sorry to hear.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Being in Tampa very thankful we were spared.  Nothing in my neighborhood apart from some tree debris and about 36 hours without power.  

Gear that was especially useful:
Generator (obviously)
The 40 gallons of gas I keep on hand year round and rotate to keep fresh (didn't have to participate in the gas station rush)
Streamlight wedge (this is my edc light but really shined during the storm)
The several sams club brand led headlamps and lanterns I stashed through the house. (Obviously)
Galco Miami Classic II with Glock 45 and two reloads (Easy peasy to put this on with flip flops and gym shorts while checking the generator vs getting more fully dressed with a belt and my usual ccw.)
5.11 vest (cover garment and handy place to stash stuff while puttering around)
Case of Spaghettios
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just spoke with my buddy on Pine Island again.  Complete devastation.  Small hip town of Matlacha with cool colored houses/shops- gone.
View Quote
We almost bought a house /w 2.5 acres on Pine Island 2 years ago. It was a beautiful house and property. Something kept telling me no to that place.
Six months later we found out we had to move out of our house in Central Florida we'd lived in for 12 years. We had 2 months.
We found this property up here near the FL/GA line. Bought and closed on it in 28 days and moved everything up here in 30 more.
We totally dodged a bullet. We believe in miracles...  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#48]
The daytona area is in bad shape.  My neighborhood  flooded along with our house.  I was getting my kid to safety and hooked up with a vet.  We ended up rescui a ton of our neighbors.   I spent 7 hours walking through  flood waters dragging a canoe (wind was to strong to paddle) and everything hurts.  Sucks getting older.

Not much help from emerge services.   The Sherrif's office came through  with a military truck and got some people, but only made one trip through the neighborhood.   Local LEOs came with their own canoe as it turned dark and were trying to figure out who was still on their houses when I finally left.  

Most people only got out with the clothes on their back or a small bag.  I was lucky enough to have the use of neighbor's canoe and got the pets, clothes for my family, and some of the guns out.  Ended up forgetting  my bug out bag I had packed with all my clothes though.  If anyone know of an open walmart where I can get some underwear I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard anything on Tremont Street in Ft Myers? Just north east of Fort Myers beach. Had a friend that stayed with his kids, but haven’t heard anything since early Wednesday morning.
View Quote

I can ask my contacts in the FMB Fire Department but I'm not sure they'll know much. That area is outside of their area of responsibility but maybe they've heard something across the radios.

Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top