Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think hardly anyone actually pays for it.   I think nearly everyone gets it with Frequent Flyer miles or their company paying for it because it's a long trip.

I like it for long trips.  If the seats recline enough to sleep they are a great benefit.

Some Airlines like Qatar Airways have really nice free stuff- pricey wine and very nice pajamas I've taken home and still worn around the house in the winter as workout clothes.
View Quote

This is my impression. When I’ve flown first class it was because of a bump.

Look up the price of first class and you’ll wonder how many people, even wealthy, are willing to spend that much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sometimes in first class you get to sit next to interesting people, like this guy on my flight last week:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301438/5491D745-0F0F-4EE9-BBB0-CE69B22076D1_jpe-2810893.JPG

Thankfully he didn’t talk my ear off
View Quote

Who is it?

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Who is it?

View Quote
Peyton Manning
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Peyton Manning
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is it?

Peyton Manning

Ah
Sports guy
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
At the price airfare is now, 1st is triple in many cases so no I do not think it’s worth it. At least as 1st class exists on many carriers today. Free booze and a nicer seat and that’s about it, a long flight maybe.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Figure out what airline you want to support, get their credit card and make sure to hit their dollar cap and mileage cap.  It opens all kinds of perks.
I recently booked a trip and they awarded my over 66K air miles for it, something to do with my card and status.  That starts adding up fast and really helps with upgrades.

This is a screen grab from my mileage account.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Comfort Plus on Delta is a nice midway - slightly larger seat, free alcohol. And is generally available as a free upgrade.

Business/First class with the lay flat pod is the ONLY way to fly overseas

Domestic First can be a nice upgrade depending on cost vs. flight time
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I flew stowage to Japan.  13 hours in a flying daycare sucked but I had that $1000 to spend there instead.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Figure out what airline you want to support, get their credit card and make sure to hit their dollar cap and mileage cap.  It opens all kinds of perks.
I recently booked a trip and they awarded my over 66K air miles for it, something to do with my card and status.  That starts adding up fast and really helps with upgrades.

This is a screen grab from my mileage account.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249630/card_jpg-2810911.JPG
View Quote

You can game quite a bit.  I don't fly Delta often but the perks are nice

Attachment Attached File

Should make it again this year

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did it ever?  I don't remember getting in with a first class ticket, it had to be Delta One transcontinental or international.

A lot of the rules for SkyClub entry changed the past year or two because at one time it was relatively easy to get in there. There were a lot of credit cards that gave you complimentary access, like most Amex cards. This led to a lot of clubs being really crowded and I think the Delta Platinum Rhinestone status fliers started bitching about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delta First Class doesn't even get you access to their SkyClub anymore...
Did it ever?  I don't remember getting in with a first class ticket, it had to be Delta One transcontinental or international.

A lot of the rules for SkyClub entry changed the past year or two because at one time it was relatively easy to get in there. There were a lot of credit cards that gave you complimentary access, like most Amex cards. This led to a lot of clubs being really crowded and I think the Delta Platinum Rhinestone status fliers started bitching about it.

r/AmexPlatinum is FULL of people bitching about the lines for the lounges, and the fact that the AP card is not as exclusive as it used to be.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're still active duty your DoD ID number can be used as a TSA known traveler number, basically getting you "free" precheck.

Otherwise a lot of travel minded cards like the Amex Platinum or Delta cards, the Chase equivalent I forgot what it's called, or the Capital One Venture will reimburse you for your precheck application if you pay for it using that card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Free TSA precheck...

What?!?  I have that card and didn't know that was a thing.
If you're still active duty your DoD ID number can be used as a TSA known traveler number, basically getting you "free" precheck.

Otherwise a lot of travel minded cards like the Amex Platinum or Delta cards, the Chase equivalent I forgot what it's called, or the Capital One Venture will reimburse you for your precheck application if you pay for it using that card.

To add to that, your spouse's DODID number also works for PreCheck. It's not supposed to, but it always worked for my wife when we flew together and I put her number down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/3C2CB2F5-FC5E-417A-8DB2-63275C887249_jpe-2810925.JPG

View Quote

What cutoff is set at $250K?  I only have to reach $25K which is really easy to hit.   I hit mine sometime back, no idea what my total is now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What cutoff is set at $250K?  I only have to reach $25K which is really easy to hit.   I hit mine sometime back, no idea what my total is now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/3C2CB2F5-FC5E-417A-8DB2-63275C887249_jpe-2810925.JPG

Diamond

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sometimes in first class you get to sit next to interesting people, like this guy on my flight last week:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301438/5491D745-0F0F-4EE9-BBB0-CE69B22076D1_jpe-2810893.JPG

Thankfully he didn’t talk my ear off
View Quote

I sat next to Al Unser Sr. years ago on a flight from Albuquerque to Chicago.

The funniest part was he had a very nice leather briefcase all done up in racing flag checkerboard, but when he opened it the only thing inside was a racing magazine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Diamond

View Quote

we have been dumping $$ onto the marriot card to get points for free rooms
but it dosnet matter how much you spend-- they only seem to care about how many nights you stay

maybe i would be better off switching to delta card (we have gold card)
we spend ~5k a month on it verage (marriot card)
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
For the price of the upgrades, how many additional hookers could you have at your destination?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

r/AmexPlatinum is FULL of people bitching about the lines for the lounges, and the fact that the AP card is not as exclusive as it used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a wait to get into the Sky Lounge at the international terminal in ATL my last trip. Once we got in there was no where to sit for a while.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve flown a lot of domestic first class and only paid for it a handful of times.  It certainly can be worth it, especially on the longer flights or after a long day.

I usually will check the price difference and consider it based on my schedule and how full the flight might get.

Best bought ticket was flying on March 14, 2020.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

but it dosnet matter how much you spend-- they only seem to care about how many nights you stay

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diamond

"The points guy," is a decent website for deciphering all of this travel incentive crap.

I have Hilton, and they track points and nights.  Nights get you increased status; points get used for room rates in lieu of $.  The math is hilariously one-sided sometimes, especially with their incentive "offers."  No, I'm not going to buy 400 bucks worth of points, so that I can exchange them for a room that cost 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have a pilot lol

@AA717driver
2023 BOMBARDIER  BD-100-1A10
Fixed wing multi engine
(8 seats / 2 engines)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263964/20230411_130503_jpg-2810874.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263964/20230411_130536_jpg-2810875.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We bought it for 30 million

Just saying you wont have to worry about room

F2000/900?

Need a pilot. Flying a GIV now but I’m trainable.

Have a pilot lol

@AA717driver
2023 BOMBARDIER  BD-100-1A10
Fixed wing multi engine
(8 seats / 2 engines)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263964/20230411_130503_jpg-2810874.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263964/20230411_130536_jpg-2810875.JPG

Pretty bird.  The only way to fly, if the economics make sense for you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#21]
As someone who used to fly 4x a month and was platinum on AAdvantage, I don't think so.

The upgrades were nice, but no way in hell I would pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diamond

Maybe? This card isn't my primary but my assistant has a plan and's been able to keep me topped at Delta, Hilton and Enterprise, and decent status few others. Not entirely sure how tho

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to fly to Europe for work.  We are allowed business class on long flights.  My standard fare would have been near $3k...business class is near $10k.

Since I am not paying, it's worth it.  If it was coming out of my pocket, no.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's the cost difference between upgrading and just buying the 1st class ticket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a mid tier seat, then upgrade immediately after. Saves hundreds of dollars.

Yes. I only fly 1st. 1st on and 1st off makes it worth it alone.

What's the cost difference between upgrading and just buying the 1st class ticket?

@Kitulu I recently flew to San Diego from Minneapolis via Delta. Using that method, I saved $600 on the round trip ticket price. I paid $650 round trip for the mid-grade cabin seats. Immediately after booking that, go look at your "Upgrade" options. I was able to upgrade to 1st class for $240 for each leg. So my out of pocked cost was $1050. If I were to book 1st class right at first, I would have paid $1675 for the round trip cost.

Now mind you I do have a Platinum Sky Miles Visa, and used to fly a lot, and I only fly Delta. I used to fly several times a week, and I learned this trick a long time ago and it has never failed me. And I have saved a TON of money. When you fly as often as I was, 1st class made it not suck so much.

Here is how it works:

Book a few weeks in advance. Very important, the closer you get the more 1st fills up, the more expensive it will get.

Book the mid-grade seat(s) - NOT BASIC BARE BONES ECONOMY IN THE BACK OF THE PLANE

Immediately after booking, look at your upgrade options

Pay and upgrade to 1st Class

Enjoy your pre-flight drink
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the price of the upgrades, how many additional hookers could you have at your destination?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLBqwLiVgAAmbTI.jpg

Oh 21'er....

In a response about getting hookers, you reply with a meme with a 5 year old girl saying get both.

The implication    wow....

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#27]
If the flight is over 5-6 hours, it is a necessity for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#28]
IMO, anything over 4 hours. Yes it is worth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Does your boss know you watch TV instead of cleaning while his jet is parked on the tarmac with the door open?+
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Does your boss know you watch TV instead of cleaning while his jet is parked on the tarmac with the door open?+
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol he's responsible for the TV

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The United premium plus or whatever (step above economy) is worth the extra $50 for the leg room.  The extra $1.2k for first class, I can buy a shit load more booze for that price when I land, than what I'd drink on the plane.

So no.  Upgrade to the extra for the leg room, but skip the $1k all inclusive booze package.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The remote was screwed up and he would throw a shoe at me when he wanted the channel changed. Then I brought back his shoe
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I really don't understand the fascination with getting drunk on planes.  Don't you have shit you want to do when you get there?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, Delta offers a nice choice called Delta Premium.  The seats are larger, more space between passengers, more leg room, they recline farther, have a footrest, larger TV screen with real headphones and the food service is upgraded, basically what they serve to the first-class passengers.
I have tried it a few times now and really enjoy it.  It is a nice compromise if you don't want to pay the price for first.  My recent R&R trip to Greece cost me $3200 to fly over in first class and came back in Delta Premium.  To do round trip in first was significantly higher, flying back in premium, there was no noticeable difference to me.

This is the seating,

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/06/9a/0b069a6ae4f54eecddec1a7eea073859.jpg

Compared to economy

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Delta-Basic-Economy-Seats.jpg
View Quote

A few years ago the wife and I flew in Premium Select to Tokyo. It really wasn’t a bad experience. We booked early and got a bulkhead seat in the window section so it was just the two of us. The food wasn’t bad, and the seats were comfortable. We’re going back to Japan next year and I think I’m going to spring for 1st class though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really don't understand the fascination with getting drunk on planes.  Don't you have shit you want to do when you get there?
View Quote

Like get in a uber/taxi to go to the hotel to get more drunk?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Totally worth it for us tall, long femured folks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I do.
If you like being in a flying Walmart then sit in coach. I dont.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Peyton Manning
View Quote

I figured he would be flying private.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peyton Manning

You’d be surprised.

I was sitting in business on a DFW to LGA flight.

2nd row right isle .

Across the isle is a somewhat pretty older woman whom literally every passenger was asking for selfies and autographs.

After a while I figured it out it was Demi Moore.

Another time I was fling DFW to CLE and there was a Super Bowl winning Chicago bears player up front everyone was recognizing.  Don’t remember his name tho.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#40]
A friend of mine flew Busta Rymes last week. Said he was a great guy—total gentleman as were the other guys in his entourage.

I was surprised at some of the celebs we’d see flying AA.

If I had multi millions, I’d at least buy a share on a frac.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I just spent a LOT of money to buy 4 RT to Italy and back this year (Biz class)

There’s no fucking way I would last 7-8 hours in coach.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A friend of mine flew Busta Rymes last week. Said he was a great guy total gentleman as were the other guys in his entourage.

I was surprised at some of the celebs we'd see flying AA.

If I had multi millions, I'd at least buy a share on a frac.
View Quote

Makes sense when seats are filled, but flying solo is baby giraffe territory. Frac makes sense like Full in biz contexts,  personal transport, not so much.  Hammer this shit in, or peeps go MC Hammer.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You’d be surprised.

I was sitting in business on a DFW to LGA flight.

2nd row right isle .

Across the isle is a somewhat pretty older woman whom literally every passenger was asking for selfies and autographs.

After a while I figured it out it was Demi Moore.

Another time I was fling DFW to CLE and there was a Super Bowl winning Chicago bears player up front everyone was recognizing.  Don’t remember his name tho.

View Quote

I could see her flying first class or Busta Rymes but Payton is next level, like flying and having Brady next to you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh 21'er....

In a response about getting hookers, you reply with a meme with a 5 year old girl saying get both.

The implication    wow....

https://i.imgflip.com/7l56au.jpg
View Quote

the fact that your brain went there with a common meme says waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more about your "problems" than it would imply towards me buddy boy
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#45]
only way I fly and have been for years

it's worth it especially when I fly International

Delta is my choice Airline

Flying to Dominica Republic in June and than in July to Berlin

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll never not fly first/business, especially going international. I love the suites and layflat beds.

Domestically, it's arguably not worth it since domestic first generally sucks, but I refused to be crushed by a fat fuck again like I was a few years back. He was in middle seat and I was pressed up against the window and still felt his sweaty back fat the entire flight.

NEVER. AGAIN.

It's worth it to avoid fat fucks alone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#47]
It really depends on how much extra you have to pay to upgrade. Several hundred? Probably not. Some credit card points or a hundred dollars? Do it for sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they first opened I was based out of Las Vegas and the Centurion lounges were the shit but like everything air travel related the quality went down and the quantity of people went up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The $550 fee is nothing.  You also get a free companion domestic 1st class ticket voucher each year, that alone pays for the $550 fee.  Plus I spend lots of time in various lounges around the globe where they have free food and open bar so that is also saving me tons of money cause I do like my G&T's before boarding
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing also has a $550 yearly fee. It's not the best choice imo for anyone other than a hardcore road warrior living out of hotels and suitcases who is a dedicated Delta flyer who books and pays for most of their own trips.

The $550 fee is nothing.  You also get a free companion domestic 1st class ticket voucher each year, that alone pays for the $550 fee.  Plus I spend lots of time in various lounges around the globe where they have free food and open bar so that is also saving me tons of money cause I do like my G&T's before boarding

I’ve been eyeballing that Reserve card lately, but haven’t jumped because it has so much crossover with my existing Amex platinum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top