I figured he would be flying private.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peyton Manning

I figured he would be flying private.

I did too. He was 10 mins late boarding and they were clearly holding the plane for him. They knew.

He was going to Disney for a thing with Phil Simms. Dude was definitely the busiest “retired” guy I’ve ever seen. He worked literally the entire flight from DEN to MCO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Recently flying back from Charlotte was one of the most uncomfortable flights I've been on specifically because of my knees. Is the real benefit to flying first class/business mostly the leg room?
View Quote

My rule is under 2 hours, coach is ok. 2-5 hours coach+. 8+ hours my ass is in business.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My flight from Tokyo to Denver is over 10 1/2 hours my return flight from Houston to Tokyo is over 13  hours.
I would be crippled sitting in a regular seat for that amount of time and I am just 5'10 170 pounds.
Business or first class are my only options for flying.
I just figure that is the cost for the trip or don't go.

ETA and that is just one leg of my 3 flight journey each way, total one way travel time including layovers is about 30 hours.
View Quote

That’s fucked. My flights SLC/MNL are 25/26 hours with lay overs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh.  I fly 4-6 times a year.  I sleep for 90% of the flight so coach doesn't bother me.  

Also my mom buys all my tickets because I am her new travel buddy after my dad died.  

But, she gets upgraded about 95% of the time due to her miles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Figure out what airline you want to support, get their credit card and make sure to hit their dollar cap and mileage cap.  It opens all kinds of perks.
I recently booked a trip and they awarded my over 66K air miles for it, something to do with my card and status.  That starts adding up fast and really helps with upgrades.

This is a screen grab from my mileage account.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249630/card_jpg-2810911.JPG
View Quote

When my dad needed home health care my mom put it on her AA card.  So about $15k a month on her card, that was later reimbursed by insurance.  She racked up some stupid points.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
First class is great when someone else pays for it
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only purchased a "1st class" ticket once.  The only thing it got me was a seat on another flight after mine was cancelled (first class got replacement flights filled first).

I don't know if it is worth 1st class light for domestic, I really did not get a chance to see the difference - as I did not get my first class seat.  International - if you can afford it, sure.  20hrs in a seat with hardly any foam vs 20hrs in a sleeper compartment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What cutoff is set at $250K?  I only have to reach $25K which is really easy to hit.   I hit mine sometime back, no idea what my total is now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can game quite a bit.  I don't fly Delta often but the perks are nice

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/3C2CB2F5-FC5E-417A-8DB2-63275C887249_jpe-2810925.JPG

Should make it again this year

What cutoff is set at $250K?  I only have to reach $25K which is really easy to hit.   I hit mine sometime back, no idea what my total is now.

@USCG_CPO

After talking to my asst you wont get the opportunity to waive "spend" on the Reserve card (or cards in my case, evidently 2, one Biz one Personal) until earning 125k MQMs then you get to unlock "spend" of 250k for Diamond.

She uses both accounts to ensure max MQMs each year, plus the miles. Last few years Delta has carried over previous status without using MQMs so banked a large pool. (Or I misunderstood) Any MQMs not used are carried over each normal year, but between the 2 cards you can only generate 120k MQMs, 5k short of Diamond. Flights and/or previous carried over MQMs are used tho.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I am 6'3" tall and weigh 230 so economy doesn't really work. I also have money so it is either Delta Comfort Plus or better. It is worth it for the upcharge to the premium seats for sure.

On my last trip to the Caribbean though I couldn't upgrade my Comfort Plus seats to Business class.  It just wasn't an option. I haven't had that happen before so just be aware that can be an issue if you purchase a lower class hoping for a cheaper upgrade.  I couldn't make myself rebook for $2,500 more per ticket. Delta was off their rocker with pricing last winter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@USCG_CPO

After talking to my asst you wont get the opportunity to waive "spend" on the Reserve card (or cards in my case, evidently 2, one Biz one Personal) until earning 125k MQMs then you get to unlock "spend" of 250k for Diamond.

She uses both accounts to ensure max MQMs each year, plus the miles. Last few years Delta has carried over previous status without using MQMs so banked a large pool. (Or I misunderstood) Any MQMs not used are carried over each normal year, but between the 2 cards you can only generate 120k MQMs, 5k short of Diamond. Flights and/or previous carried over MQMs are used tho.

Hope that helps.

View Quote

@Alacrity

They certainly dont make it easy for us to understand all the perks.  I need to figure out how to adjust my profile so I can see how much I spend each year casue I always hit that 25K mark quick.  
I just bought these tickets for a work trip but they aren't reflected in that 25K.  I am both too lazy and too busy to go thru a year's worth of Amex expenditures to total it all up

This trip is a little over 22K miles but since you get triple miles using that Delta card I will earn 66K

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Yeah that looks like the jet I flew on back in Oct.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Because of my status (3 million miler) I get upgraded on most AA flights. Years ago, I would say that first class was a first class experience. Not so much now. Maybe a slight bit more leg room, but the service is not much better.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There was a wait to get into the Sky Lounge at the international terminal in ATL my last trip. Once we got in there was no where to sit for a while.
View Quote

The lounge at Ohare is tiny.  Last time I was there there were people sitting on the floor eating bowls of soup.. it looked like Chicago outside the airport.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Alacrity

They certainly dont make it easy for us to understand all the perks.  I need to figure out how to adjust my profile so I can see how much I spend each year casue I always hit that 25K mark quick.  
I just bought these tickets for a work trip but they aren't reflected in that 25K.  I am both too lazy and too busy to go thru a year's worth of Amex expenditures to total it all up

This trip is a little over 22K miles but since you get triple miles using that Delta card I will earn 66K

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249630/ticket_price_jpg-2811838.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@USCG_CPO

Hope that helps.

@Alacrity

@USCG_CPO

Holy shit that's about what it costs for a pair of One seats to Milan last couple Novembers - if you paid the going rate.

They don't make it easy on purpose. I wouldn't have worked this myself but it's definitely useful - even the few domestics I take alone and couple international flights it more than pays for the effort. Prolly would for you.

Interesting in '24 Benefits, Delta kills single and CC add-on Lounge access. Exec only now and eats up all 3 choices for Diamond. So all the peeps bitching about lounge crowding may see a drop. But every card seems to get access and can't be that many Diamonds.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]
To me an ass cushion is an ass cushion.

I don't need a special ass cushion.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Alacrity

View Quote

Amex is supposed to have a tool to show ytd or custom range spending. It’s given an error message every time I’ve tried to use it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
6’4”  225 pound large man.

Overseas……First class

Domestic…….First class not worth the $$$. I will frequently get upgrades because of Platinum-Diamond-Long Dick-What the fuck card  I have with AA. Otherwise, I get the emergency exit row and it works well.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think since the pandemic, Amex throws those cards at basically anyone.  I reckon they got scared when the big dick travelers got grounded during covid, so they figure the more cards out there, the better for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

r/AmexPlatinum is FULL of people bitching about the lines for the lounges, and the fact that the AP card is not as exclusive as it used to be.
Yeah, I think since the pandemic, Amex throws those cards at basically anyone.  I reckon they got scared when the big dick travelers got grounded during covid, so they figure the more cards out there, the better for them.

They also waive the annual fee for Active Duty military.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

r/AmexPlatinum is FULL of people bitching about the lines for the lounges, and the fact that the AP card is not as exclusive as it used to be.
I would imagine they're going to cut back.  I know all the airlines more or less reverted back to their pre government lockdown miles plans starting this year.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
@Alacrity -can you elaborate on this? Are you saying lounge access with Delta Amex Reserve is going away in 2024?

Because that’s one of the only two reasons I still keep this card

Quoted:

Interesting in '24 Benefits, Delta kills single and CC add-on Lounge access. Exec only now and eats up all 3 choices for Diamond. So all the peeps bitching about lounge crowding may see a drop. But every card seems to get access and can't be that many Diamonds.
View Quote

Edit: N/M, found clarification here: https://news.delta.com/look-ahead-delta-sky-club-updates-launches-and-expansions
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Cross the Atlantic in these without a parachute.  

Any airline seems like first class after that. Get an outboard seat. The inside rows mean the guy on the other side will elbow you as you finally get to sleep.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Alacrity -can you elaborate on this? Are you saying lounge access with Delta Amex Reserve is going away in 2024?

Edit: N/M, found clarification here: https://news.delta.com/look-ahead-delta-sky-club-updates-launches-and-expansions
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for finding that article. I was gonna be pissed too but it appears it won't affect platinum cards. It will just cost a little more for guests.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks for finding that article. I was gonna be pissed too but it appears it won't affect platinum cards. It will just cost a little more for guests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that's one of the only two reasons I still keep this card

Quoted:

Yes I was purely speaking about the  2024 Choice Benefits - no Club option for Platinum and only Executive for Diamond at all 3 choices. Do get two gifted Gold Status now tho so I'll make someone else happy.

Seems dumb, Delta Reserve (maybe other Delta Cards) still has access DSC/Centurion/Escape, tho I didn't realize only primary card holder and auth users. Had another card providing access tho, but took a bit to sort it out. So sure as shit seems the limitations should be on CC end (as before many Diamonds are there?)  that would eliminate a significant perk for many.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  It is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I started flying business class to Europe to get some sleep on the overnight flights. It's about $2000 more for the last one I bought one way. I was always too cheap to pay but I need to spend it on something or someone else will eventually. A lot of trips I am hitting the ground and driving and want to enjoy the day and get adjusted. I fly coach back to the US as I don't sleep and I fit in the seats fine because I'm not a fat ass or freakishly tall.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#31]
The couple times that we've flown we just sit toward the back and pick the window seat and aisle seat. Always have the middle seat to ourselves which is more important than a little extra leg room.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
check what type of flight it is (which aircraft) then check leg room for the emergency exit row.

for example, seats 24 D through F on an American Airlines A321 have about five feet of leg room, and are usually only a modest upcharge. I think it was $38 extra last time I flew. No fold down tray table (because no seat in front of you), but not a problem for me.
View Quote

Just be careful with this as the seats are slightly smaller width wise because of the tray table in the armrest, on some airlines.  On long hall flights premium economy is nice compromise bigger seat and more leg room.  First class tickets can be reasonably priced but even on majors usually u are getting bigger seat and better snacks and refills on drink or free booze.   Its nice but not like it used to be
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Flying first class with Delta netted me an extra $300 bill today....

Airbnb rental ends at 11am, turo car rental ends at 230pm, flight at 4pm.

Haha not anymore; 9pm is when you can leave... I'm too tired to wait in the airport, so airport hotel it is for 8 hours

Think they'll cover it... NOPE
View Quote

Uggh.  Sorry man.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uggh.  Sorry man.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flying first class with Delta netted me an extra $300 bill today....

Airbnb rental ends at 11am, turo car rental ends at 230pm, flight at 4pm.

Haha not anymore; 9pm is when you can leave... I'm too tired to wait in the airport, so airport hotel it is for 8 hours

Think they'll cover it... NOPE

Uggh.  Sorry man.  

Last summer I had a first class ticket from United.

Flying out of SLC back to PIT.  Connection at O'Hare.  

Text - Your flight from SLC will be delayed.  Coworker freaks out that we're going to get stuck in Chicago as we had the last flight from ORD to PIT.  Me - That's not that bad.  Him - We're all going to die!  

See there is another way on United from SLC to Houston then PIT, decided to change to an earlier flight.  No issues changing flights, get on board, get to Houston.

Check to see if that flight from SLC to ORD was really delayed.  It was, but not as bad as they had predicted.  Might have made it to PIT.  Meanwhile, there is no plane from IAH to PIT so we get dinner and drink a few beers.  Another text - Your plane is coming from Mexico and blah, blah, blah.

More beer.  Finally they have a plane.  It's only 3 hours late.  We get on board.  The flight attending is slinging champagne at first class passengers for the inconvenience.  Pilot gets on the PA.  "Folks uhhhhhh, we have problem with the APU and ahhhhh, we need a start cart.  It'll take ahhhhh a few minutes until they get it over here."

Start cart wheeled over.  Loud noises.  Nothing.  "Folks uhhhh, we're still having maintenance issues.  We'll uhhhh, give you updates in a bit."  

A bit later "Folks, we're out of hours so uhhhh, we need to find another flight crew."  We then deboard the plane and are told to wait at the gate.  Finally they call it.  It's at this point 11:30 at night.  Go find a hotel, its on us.  Wonderful.  We did eventually take off the next day at 10:30 am.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm flying first class at 7 AM tomorrow from Bangkok to Tokyo then to Denver then to Indiana.
Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#37]
From Atlas Obscura:

"The more horrible you make it to fly coach, the more business people will demand to fly business and first class. The airlines make a bucket of money off people traveling up front, which is why they make coach as oppressive as possible."

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Try flying LA to Sydney in coach and get back to me
View Quote

Philly to Shanghai in coach. Back when International still allowed smoking.
1st and ONLY international coach flight. Been Business since, on overseas travel for work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm flying first class at 7 AM tomorrow from Bangkok to Tokyo then to Denver then to Indiana.
Definitely worth it.
View Quote

That is a long day.  I would deplane in Denver and it's more than long enough already.  First/business is a huge game changer on routes like that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Since they stopped serving drinks until several minutes after take off, 1st has gotten less worth it.  Most of my segments are 4 hours or less anyway, and economy plus is fine.
View Quote

Since when?
I just had a Bloody Mary on one leg of my flight prior to take off, and a Woodford on the next leg.
I didn't get anything once we took off, as I wanted to catch a few winks of sleep.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Getting bumped from coach to business flying from Frankfort to Lagos was fucking fantastic.  Too bad it wasn’t from IAH to Frankfurt.
View Quote

My seat got double booked on a flight from Tokyo to PHL. I was already in the seat when a woman started cussing me out that I was in her seat.
Flight attendant asked what he problem was. The woman was being a real bitch. Flight attendant asked me to leave the seat and she gave my seat to the woman.
She was smirking and smiling until the attendant led me upstairs to 1st. I was the one smiling then.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Definitely worth it.
View Quote

Welcome home.  

Part of me thought you were going end up emigrating to Thailand, your posts sounded so happy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Poor employer/ contract called for business class over 6 hours and 1st over 8. Short hops, economy plus has been okay if the person in front of you isn’t a troll with their seat. Long flights, 7+ 1st is definitely worth it, especially on a 78 or larger Airbus.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Kind of?   Depends on the size of the airplane and the length/distance of the flight.  If the plane is big enough and you can take advantage of the lay flat seats, probably.  I’m too tall for the lay flat seats even, so there isn’t much difference for me between comfort+ and first class.  I absolutely must have the extra leg room and space. But I can’t really sleep on airplanes.  My wife loves being able to lie flat and go to sleep, but I can’t do that regardless, and I don’t drink, so I think comfort+ is the sweet spot for me.  I just flew from Virginia to Hawaii and back on April and did it all first class. I’m doing it again in June and am doing it all comfort+ to test the theory.  I’ll try to remember to let you know how it goes

I’ve also decided I prefer stops to one long non-stop flight. Last year I did the direct Dulles-Honolulu first class which is 11.5 hours.  I’ve got a bad back that I need to have a final spinal fusion done on, a prosthetic shoulder, a completely reconstructed left leg and foot, and a knee that needs to be replaced, and as I mentioned, I’m too tall to lay flat, so I think I spent more of that flight walking up and down the aisles than I did sitting.  This year I flew to LA, stayed over, then went from LA to honolulu and I liked that much better.  But the the shorter flights are also smaller planes, so there isn’t as big a difference between first class and comfort+ either, so it matters even less.  Most of those flights were 737 Max. Only my return leg from honolulu to Seattle was I on a big enough airplane where first class was lay flats for my wife.  So…yeah….comfort+
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I will take some pics in a few days of the differences between Delta/Korean Air/Cathay Pacific 1st class.  

Really curious to experience the Celestial Bar in Prestige Class on Korean Air, hopefully they have a good gin selection

@MADMAXXX    @Alacrity
Anyone flown Eva Air, Taiwan's national airline?  They have decent prices and their 1st class setup looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm cheap.  I'd put the money towards something else.
View Quote

As somebody who invariably winds up in the back by the toilet, I've had enough and will pay what is necessary to get up front.  
They say that time period between when they open the door and you actually get out is deducted from purgatory.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Booze selection at the Miracle Lounge of ANA Nippon airways at Bangkok airport.
I don't drink cocktails only beer and it's 5AM anyway so just going for juice and coffee.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I fly domestic, CONUS about once per month and then International about three or four times per year. My employer won’t pay for upgrades but I keep the miles and use them to upgrade along with the various “club” points offers.

For short flights, anything under 4 hours, I don’t really care. For overseas flights, I absolutely upgrade.

CAN you can fly to Europe or Asia without United Polaris? Maybe Frankly, I don’t want to know.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I always have to fly left side of the plane, aisle seat, so I can extend and pop my right knee every 30 min or so.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#50]
It is when your employer is paying.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top