Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly. If I'm shooting a revolver it's because I don't want to shoot fast. Take my time and savory
View Quote

Fast double action shooting with a revolver is a joy.  We weren't allowed to shoot single action and everything was done with the DA trigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I dare you to go get a few coats at the goodwill store and go to a public range and practice shooting through the pockets
View Quote

I'm so going to do that.  As soon as l have more .38 loaded up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
HKS speedlloaders are available for more variety of guns. I own both Colt and S&W revolvers. Safariland only makes them for specific guns, and I would rather use the action over multiple guns. Also for range use, after 5 or 6 speeder reloads, the chambers on the gun get dirty, and the round won't drop down, so you have to push down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AFAIK, Safariland are not available for .45AR.

Correct?
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dare you to go get a few coats at the goodwill store and go to a public range and practice shooting through the pockets

Yes!! Please have someone filming the line
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've only got HKS because they're half the price* of Safariland which I have understood to be the better thing to have for 15 years or so. That said, all my speedloaders do is sit in the safe so I see no need to acquire.

*I looked them up on Brownells before completing this post and they seem to have come down to a totally reasonable price. I seem to remember them being $25-30, or maybe that's just my imagination.

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=safariland+speed&ksubmit=y

I'd never heard of this 5 Star but boy do they make some beautiful looking stuff that I didn't know I needed.

That man has pretty much mastered the craft of speedloading a revolver. Unfortunately, it's still slower than reloading a Glock 17 and you have 11 fewer rounds to work with. Then you're sooner reloading again, which is slower...it's like a self-licking ice cream cone.
View Quote

I don't disagree that it's slower but the ridiculous concept of needing 34 rounds for self defense is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Have Comp I, II, and III's for my revolvers. HKS sucks. Now back to your regular scheduled program.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the HKS ones and the Speedbeez ones, but everyone has different preferences.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I never had any problem with HKS, holds the loads firmly n' all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't disagree that it's slower but the ridiculous concept of needing 34 rounds for self defense is fucking retarded.
View Quote

If you say so, chief. I don't know why I and most any other uniformed police officer would carry 52+ rounds on duty then. That's for self-defense, is it not? I don't carry that much ammo for my G43, but if I were in a defensive situation I would sure rather have a G17 with extra magazines.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't carry a spare mag for the rounds, I carry it for the mag.  Mags are a primary failure point for a self-loader.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you say so, chief. I don't know why I and most any other uniformed police officer would carry 52+ rounds on duty then. That's for self-defense, is it not? I don't carry that much ammo for my G43, but if I were in a defensive situation I would sure rather have a G17 with extra magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok chief. No it's not self defense if you're on duty. You are out looking for trouble. I'm not.

You even contradict yourself by carrying a g43.

I'm not in Fallujah anymore. I don't need the same loadout.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't carry a spare mag for the rounds, I carry it for the mag.  Mags are a primary failure point for a self-loader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, then you don't feel the need for 34 rounds and my point stands.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Love 5 star

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I want some of those. Are they really heavy?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the hand, the billet aluminum is noticeably heavier than HKS, but once they're loaded, the difference is fairly negligible
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Millied billit so not really

I don't care about weight though
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]

I use Safariland and HKS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a bunch of HKs for $2 each at a sale and theyre fine for what I do.  Id get safarilands if i shot more uspsa.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Moon clips are way faster and cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some guys just NEED the ammo in case they get into a firefight in front of the Cheeto display.

I can use a speed loader with either hand or even one handed and do it in a fairly short time frame.  That was taught in the academy.  It's more than adequate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always preferred the Safariland speedloaders.  It's the one my PD issued waaay back in the day so I don't know WTF you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Many years ago I used the HKS ones...not exactly tier one...but then...neither is a revolver these days.
I don't think i own a single speed loader any longer. My current revolvers are either single action or safe queens.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one HKS that is very loose and likes to dump prematurely. The other three work fine. Haven't tried other brands.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wrong
View Quote

Okay, I just took another look.  

Safariland.com, and then Brownell's.  .38/.357 and one .44 Magnum (Comp I).

You have a part/catalog number or source for the Auto-Rim version?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Moon clips are way faster and cheaper.
View Quote
Until they get bent
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

I'm sorry, I thought you just meant speed loaders in general.

I think safariland made comp 2s a long time ago. He's does make .45/44 ones
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Unfortunately the SL Variant speed loaders are discontinued but they were really good.  We picked up a few when we bought out first revolver:
S.L. Variant Revolver Speedloader
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No problem man.

I have seen some brands other than HKS for .45 AR, but currently I draw a big blank.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Unfortunately the SL Variant speed loaders are discontinued but they were really good.  We picked up a few when we bought out first revolver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9N6xwEHJJQ
View Quote

Revolverguys introduced me to the SL Variant, right after they were discontinued, lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No problem man.

I have seen some brands other than HKS for .45 AR, but currently I draw a big blank.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem man.

Have you tried a 45 colt speedloader?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I always thought it was due to the size. I have some for when I dabbled in Revo for IDPA. HKS seems more "carry freindly" being smaller and compact where as the SLs are faster to use. Just slap it instead of twisting the knob.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Several reasons.  

HKS speedloaders were cheaper, (I seem to remember them being half the cost)  easier to find in gun shops, smaller and commonly mandated by equipment policy for police at the time.

The belt carriers also were easier to come by.

I'm still  using the same ones from the 80's.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#34]
BTW, we shot not only DA only with revolvers, but we did natural point shooting (sometimes called point shoulder).  With speedloaders, it was a blast.  I taught all my nephews to do that and to walk a can.  One was taken to the range by his friends who were not aware that he had been trained.  They did SA shooting, shot a shotgun like pattern and then offered it to him.  He shot it DA and kept it in a tight group.  They were shocked.  He told them, "beginner's luck."
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It does seem like they are made out of pretty cheap plastic compared to the hks ones, but ive tested a couple of them by loading them, throwing them up in the air about 15 feet and letting them hit the ground. I have yet to have one blow apart yet by doing that. I can reload probably 2 or 3 times faster with the safariland due to the fact that you just simply push the rounds in vs having to twist something to release them on the hks. In fact, i would dare almost say that using those is probably just as or almost as fast as changing a mag in a semi auto.  But it seems like everyone still just sticks with the hks speed loaders for some reason.
View Quote

Who said they are not?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
BTW, we shot not only DA only with revolvers, but we did natural point shooting (sometimes called point shoulder).  With speedloaders, it was a blast.  
View Quote

A forum member here who has since passed was one of my firearms instructors when I was in the academy. He was also a firearms mentor of mine for years before the academy. He took an interest in me, I think, because I was so very interested in revolvers.

During my academy firearms course, a know-it-all (NG guy) asked of an instructor why we needed to bother with learning revolvers, as they were antiquated pieces of trash (I'm paraphrasing). I looked at ikor and he smirked at me and I took that as license to open my mouth. I offered to shoot the qualification course with the academy revolver (S&W Model 67s) against him shooting the M&P 9mm that we were to normally shoot. I informed Loudmouth that I would shoot the course, not only with a better score, but a better time than he would, though I probably displayed a lot more confidence in this feat than I felt. I'd been watching his shooting scores with the M&P 9mm, and I felt pretty sure I'd beat him.

Sadly, the instructors told us that no shooting contests were allowed. ikor later pulled me aside and told me that if I'd shot the contest and beat him, they'd fail me from the course for not being able to restrain myself from arguing with idiots.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have you tried a 45 colt speedloader?
View Quote

Well, the configuration and spacing could be correct, but the "teeth" that engage the cartridge would need to be relieved for the extra thickness of the Auto-Rim's rim.

I would want to examine one first-hand to see what disassembly entails before laying out any cash to buy one for experimenting.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ok chief. No it's not self defense if you're on duty. You are out looking for trouble. I'm not.
View Quote

Is a gunfight on duty much different than one off duty? No looking for trouble here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.not going to happen with the paranoid guys l shoot with. Lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not quite

https://www.slvariant.com/

SL Variant speedloader is best speedloader. Period. Full stop.

Hoping they make a 6-shot .357 N-Frame model soon. Or Safariland, those are second best.

The 5-Stars just look like HKSs with lipstick on em. A bit prettier but still the same inferior system.

I would avoid those. They seemed like a neat idea when I first saw 'em. But reading what those things will do to the crane/yoke after a while made me NOPE the hell out. I love my revolver too much to be abusing it like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would avoid those. They seemed like a neat idea when I first saw 'em. But reading what those things will do to the crane/yoke after a while made me NOPE the hell out. I love my revolver too much to be abusing it like that.
View Quote

Oh yeah, they're terrible The straight strips are way better than that, I was just trying to answer the question.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope not yet

Hoping to get a chance this week or weekend to give it a go

Quite a bit different internally vs other Smith revolvers. There is not a traditional hand like you have in Smiths to turn the cylinder. The star is quite a bit simpler as well.

https://i.imgur.com/GKgqkPuh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shot it yet?

You liking it?

Nope not yet

Hoping to get a chance this week or weekend to give it a go

Quite a bit different internally vs other Smith revolvers. There is not a traditional hand like you have in Smiths to turn the cylinder. The star is quite a bit simpler as well.

https://i.imgur.com/GKgqkPuh.jpg
I have one of these too, with the laser. If you get it cut for clips let us know, I'd be interested in doing the same.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gunfight will last only as long as your ammo. After that, you’re just getting shot at.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I'm speed reloading a revolver I've already fucked up twice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is a gunfight on duty much different than one off duty? No looking for trouble here.
View Quote

Quoted:

The gunfight will last only as long as your ammo. After that, you’re just getting shot at.
View Quote

Could you guys post some of these high round count self defense shootings?

I'm not saying don't carry plenty of ammo. I just don't think it's really needed. I often carry 3 spare 1911 mags or up to 3 reloads for my revolver so I do appreciate spare ammo. I just think it's an overblown issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not quite

https://www.slvariant.com/

SL Variant speedloader is best speedloader. Period. Full stop.

Hoping they make a 6-shot .357 N-Frame model soon. Or Safariland, those are second best.

The 5-Stars just look like HKSs with lipstick on em. A bit prettier but still the same inferior system.

View Quote

That site seems pretty sketchy. Anyone order from it yet?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That site seems pretty sketchy. Anyone order from it yet?
View Quote

There was a thread in the revolver forums about it. Apparently some people did and got theirs.

Order with a CC. If they play games, just do a charge-back through your card.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been using Speed Beez. Another push in design.

https://www.speedbeez.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There was a thread in the revolver forums about it. Apparently some people did and got theirs.

Order with a CC. If they play games, just do a charge-back through your card.
View Quote

Cool, thanks
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top