Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 65 F100 custom cab with the 240 I6. Reliable as hell but pretty anemic. Wish it had the 300.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a 1977 Mercury Monarch (Grenada cousin) straight six and four speed. The water pump died and I drove it home in the middle of winter, empty of water. Twice I pulled over because it got so hot it died. Let it cool, started right up and drove again until home. Changed the water pump and it never even burned oil after that. Bulletproof.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
WAY overbuilt for the power it produced. They last forever since they only make 87 HP.
I owned one in the 90s.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Ford 300 I6 was probably the best engine they ever made. Not very powerful or efficient but reliable and simple. I loved the one I had.
View Quote

I had 3 different trucks with that engine, would buy another if they still made it
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes please!

How about a straight 8?

It is getting a full resto like the rest of pops' cars.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79749/Buick_jpg-2011617.JPG

View Quote

That car is pure secks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a 83 full size bronco with the 300 and 4speed.
0W30,huge battery and a hand choke she started in the coldest weather. Just did not put out much heat.

Body fell apart and I did not want to spend the money on it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check out the Ford Barra motors they have down in Australia.
They're beasts.
View Quote

Quoted:

They did. And it is but only Australia and New Zealand have it

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/20190419_133147-jpg.2020472/
View Quote

Yeah now imagine a 5 liter version or bigger I heard they were also solid motors but got horrible mileage just like the American versions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My senior year HS auto shop project was a rebuild of a 240 I-6 which was the smaller version of the 300.
My Dad's 66 F-100 with a 3 on the tree.
Lots of good memories.
Seven main bearings and a gear driven camshaft (no chain) made these things pretty built-proof.

Currently own a 63 Comet with a 65 200 6 (different engine than the 240/300) but for what it is I got no complaints.
Also a 3 on the tree, or as I call it a modern day anti-theft system.... LOL
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1st pickup was a 77 F250 high boy 4x4, 300 six  with 4 speed manual.
Bought it new and it was dead reliable. Not fast but, it had a lot of torque.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
6 bangers are cool. Back in HS a buddy drove a Valiant with a slant-six and a Hyper-pak intake. He added headers and a bigger carb, made for a peppy little car.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Have had several. Damn things are Bombproof.

I put a new dash in one, at 300,000 miles, and sold it a year later for more than I paid for it, as Mileage unknown.

They make good power down low, to mid range, where it counts.
Add an Old pre-smog Offy intake/header and they will embarrass the old V-8's and some of the newer stuff that will never last.

The biggest weakness is the damn things frost up quick in a wet snow, and the stupid engineers only answer was a flimsy heat riser and vapor locking.
That is an easy fix with the Offy intake and a proper carb tune or EFI.

Get ready to go down the Rabbit hole, and meeting all kinds of grumpy old Farmers and sicko Motorheads.
The 300-I6 is one of those things that easily become an obsession.  

Pro-tip...
They outlasted their axles, and frames, and there are thousands of them in various states of decay in Rust belt wind rows.
The Western state trucks sucked grit, until compression was gone. Oil bath filters were horrible.
Save your time and $$$ and scrounge upper midwest wind rows first.
Usually new valve seats, decking and line boring is all that is needed. Half the time, the Mains are just starting to scuff at 200K miles.

I sold off my stash, but there are 3-4 waiting to be shown some love, within a couple miles of here.
Hell, there's a Turbo hot rodded 70' sitting in the corner of a hangar you could probably snag for cheap, just up the road.....with a roached 8.8

Build and resto pics!!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Good reliable but low power. Don't believe the 6 straight myth of torque monster. It is untrue. Enjoy your project.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Ford 300 I6 was probably the best engine they ever made. Not very powerful or efficient but reliable and simple. I loved the one I had.
View Quote

It was definitely reliable and simple. As far as "best" engine they ever made, that title might go to the 302.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad still has 1984 F150 with the 300. My daughter learned to drive a stick last summer with it and she was 12. I bet the truck has 275,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned a couple stock 300s over the years, and loved them. Buddy of mine had his rebuilt a few years ago, but swapped the 300 head for a 240, shaved it, then added an Offenhauser 4V intake, headers, 390cfm Holley 4bbl, and a Comp 268 cam. Pulls like an absolute bastard with the 4.11 rear end.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 1976 F100 has a 300 I6 with a three on the tree. The engine and drivetrain are so reliable that I will never sell the truck.
View Quote

My dad bought the exact same truck in '76: F100 I-6 300 w/three on the tree. In '80 he swapped the tranny to a 4spd on the floor and added more leaf springs in the rear and ran it in his construction business until '92, when he gave the truck to an employee. When he gave it away it had 350,000 very hard miles.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was definitely reliable and simple. As far as "best" engine they ever made, that title might go to the 302.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea the small block and the 460/big block have had a long run as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Had an old Ford with that motor...bullet proof.
My buddy put one on his wood spliter and went for many years before he sold it...probably still running.
They were salvaged and coveted for powering irrigation pumps down in potato country.
View Quote

Ford sold the 300 I6 as an industrial engine for years. Those tugs at the airport are all powered by them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I did tree work in college, thirty years ago, and the guy I worked for had a chipper with a 300 six. It would literally chew thru anything you tossed into it.......

And it scared the shit out of me every fucking day at work. No safeties, no guards, just that unstoppable engine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
My buddy has a 74 f250 with the 300, vs mine 72 f250 with the 360.  They drive about the same after he did exhaust, put a nice head on it, and got it tuned to perfection.

But it sounds like a ricer tractor, fuck nah.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ford sold the 300 I6 as an industrial engine for years. Those tugs at the airport are all powered by them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My buddy put one on his wood spliter and went for many years before he sold it...probably still running.
They were salvaged and coveted for powering irrigation pumps down in potato country.

Pretty sure they made it into some medium duty rigs. Local tow truck guy loved them. He would mix and match all the best oem parts for a little more grunt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one in a 96 F150 years ago, no complaints
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t think the slant 6 needed oil. Ever take the valve cover off one? Dry as could be, I have no idea how they didn’t self destruct. Unbelievably reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chrysler made a slant 6 that was even more indestructible

I watched a buddy change the oil in his old slant six Dart.

He drove it up on ramps, drained the oil and swapped the filter.

Then he fired it up and backed off the ramps to add the oil. Said it was up too high to add the oil when it was on the ramps so he always did that.

It had so many miles on it the odo didn't work anymore so he had done that a bunch of times. Still ran and sounded fine lol.

I don’t think the slant 6 needed oil. Ever take the valve cover off one? Dry as could be, I have no idea how they didn’t self destruct. Unbelievably reliable.

Had an old Chrysler mechanic tell me, don’t change the oil after 60k miles just add more when low. The dealership had an early 60’s valiant as a shop car. Odometer had rolled over x2 and was still running strong. Thing had a push button trans shifter.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That car is pure secks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes please!

How about a straight 8?

It is getting a full resto like the rest of pops' cars.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79749/Buick_jpg-2011617.JPG

That car is pure secks.

It is, and thanks, my dad appreciates it. I am looking for on my phone and PC for more pictures, and asked him to send me, pics of it with some fresh rubber on it, maybe later.

Another fellow mentioned a Ford Falcon, so.. My brothers '64 with a V8 and a toploader 4 speed. We have lots of old Fords.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Had an '82 F100 with the 300, 3 speed manual column shift. Awesome engine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Had four of them over the years…very sound engine, never had any issues with any of them. Mate them up with a five speed manual tranny and change oil regularly and gtg….
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a 1987 F250 r/c 4x4 with a I-6 and a 4sp manual. The thing was a monster. It wouldn't go over 75 mph, but it would tow or pull anything you threw at it. I miss that truck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have owned three of them.
Never turned a bolt on any of them except oil changes.

The last one was fuel injected. Made a ton of difference in the smoothness.

V-8s are sexier, but the old 300 CID I-6 is like others have said bulletproof.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#31]
About three weeks ago, I got this running in a couple hours taking my time after it had sat for maybe 10 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty sure they made it into some medium duty rigs. Local tow truck guy loved them. He would mix and match all the best oem parts for a little more grunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found them in sweepers, even forklifts. They made a natural gas engine that had really hard exhaust seats in them. I had seen few in medium trucks, but not as many as the 361/391 engines.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#33]
The 240/300 are bullet proof. Had a 240 in my '74 short bed and a 300 in my '80 Bronco.

Regular maintenance and changed belts, water and fuel pumps, alternator and starter. 200k +  miles.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, not fast at all, but with the 4 spd with granny gear, if you had the traction it would climb or pull anything.  I miss mine

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
With care and maintenance, the ones still out there today could likely keep running longer than anything else on the road today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had them in gen sets to power up our turboprop airliners(SAAB 340/EMB-120/Metroliner). Occasionally they would toss a rod, but then again they worked their ass off.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#37]
My last dump run with my '79 F-100 which has an inline .300 ci  six was interesting.  Somehow the petcock on the radiator opened up and I dumped all the coolant.  I got it home, checked the oil and no water in it.  

It starts fine and runs fine.  I know that normal engines with aluminum block and head would have twisted the head and blown the gasket, but this old cast iron workhorse made it through with no ill affects.  

Three on the tree and manual steering, what's not to love?
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Had a 66 F100 with a 240 in it.  Did a tune up on it once and I guess I forgot to tighten down the distributer clamp.  Driving down the highway a few hours later at night, we suddenly notice an orange glow from the cracks of the hood.  Pull over and lift the hood, the exhaust manifold and the block around it was glowing bright orange like a light bulb.  The distributor had moved and it was running super lean.  Sat on the side of the highway for 20 minutes while it cooled down enough to get near it.  Turned the distributor where it needed to be, tightened down the clamp, started it up and drove off like nothing happened.  I think I changed the oil again because it was a little toasted, but that was it.  

Same truck had an oil bath air filter, pretty cool, always a sludge of dirt in the bottom that it filtered out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Still have my 86 F150. First vehicle I ever bought. Been sitting in a shed on the farm for 12+ years.

Had a head gasket leak when I bought it and when I tried to put a new gasket in found that the block was warped or something (can't remember for sure). Bought another 300 (motor only) with 36,000 miles on it and swapped motors over a couple weekends with my high-school buddies.

Had it out a couple years ago after it sat for 7 or 8 years and she fired right up with a little massaging. Drove it for a weekend and noticed rear diff leak and couple other minor things and parked it again.

It's on the list to get on the road again. Can't bear to sell it. Holly 4bbl card, duel exhaust, 3" lift, 33's, Ford Blue. Love that truck
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone out there cut up and modified 351 heads into a single head and made a straight 6 drag motor. Think there's a YouTube vid.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote
if your only requirement of your engine is to run a long time, then yeah they were great for their time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I always wished they would have done a modern update of it. Aluminum head with intake and exhaust on separate sides of course it would need a turbo as well. Thing would be a tank.

I had an 80 250 with the same setup. I had never driven anything that was geared so low. What was great for me was I put 35's on and didn't have to regear. Think mine had the 208 which was geared lower than the 205 if I remember right. The truck was worn out when I got it but I got a few good years out of it and wish I could afford to restore one.

View Quote

They did but not in America. The Barra engine in Australia
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a 2WD '76 and '86 with the 300.
I then moved up to an '86 4WD with the 300.
Now I have a '96 with the 300, but its got fuel injection.  Oooooh!  
All were manual transmissions.
They weren't fast, but they had lots of torque at low rpms.
You haven't lived until you've replaced an oil pan gasket on one of those engines.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If it was the factory I-6, it was the 200 which has origins as a tractor engine.

Just as indestructible as the 300

I had the 200 in my 79 Merc Capri
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
they are awesome.... I had an 80 Ranger with the 300 4speed... thing was unstoppable in granny.

I had the same year Mustang with that motor but a auto. 2nd car and a junior in high school.

If it was the factory I-6, it was the 200 which has origins as a tractor engine.

Just as indestructible as the 300

I had the 200 in my 79 Merc Capri
I thought the tractor engine things was a myth.  Not that wikipedia is all knowing, but it certainly doesn't mention tractor anywhere in the 3rd gen Ford I6 section.

I know people converted 8n tractors to take 226 I6s, but people also stuck flathead V8s in them, and that doesn't make a flathead a tractor engine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#46]
My 96 F150 was my daily driver up until a few years ago. Its out in my driveway now with 320k miles on the motor. I mainly only drive it in the winter time now since its a 4x4. Been a good truck and it still runs fine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Had a 74 Ford Maverick with the 250, easiest spark plug change I've ever seen.  Sold it to some Mexicans in Austin in the early 90's, they were taking it to Mexico where the engine would be used in a tractor.

My father had a 82 F150 with the 300, great all around truck.  I never knew it to have any engine issues.  

Hking
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Knew a couple of guys that built a 4 door Maverick with a 300 six for drag racing.
Took a couple of 351C cylinder heads and cut them up , welded pieces together to make a 6 cylinder head out of them.
Made their own intake and ran a mechanical Holley on the engine , they did all sorts of shit to it.

Fucker ran low 10's in the 1/4 mile.

Nowadays , some folks are doing something similar but are using GM LS heads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had that in a 1995 Ford F-150 that I drove for a lot of years. The engine never had issues but the truck always had electrical issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had that in a 1995 Ford F-150 that I drove for a lot of years. The engine never had issues but the truck always had electrical issues.
I had one of those for a short while.  3 on the tree was fun.  I'm pretty sure the only option was the AM radio and cigarette lighter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mom had one too, then a 65 Mustang with it, 3 spd manual. Wish they kept it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My father had a 64 Falcon with a straight 6................that thing was a tank, and ran like nobody's business
Mom had one too, then a 65 Mustang with it, 3 spd manual. Wish they kept it.
Were those the 300?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top