Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw some chassis images this morning.

Yeah it’s nothing like a mustang underneath.

Engine way hack, inboard suspension, the car is wicked badass.

Boomers will still whine about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They are hoping with the new center of gravity and not being as front heavy with better weight distribute, crowds at cars and coffee exits will be in less danger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So now the Mustang is a 'brand' and not a model?  

They're doing their best to stretch the Mustang nameplate into oblivion, which is something usually reserved for GM.
View Quote

That has been the plan since the mach E . Mustang is a brand , same as Bronco.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Ford Mustang lineup has never been stronger, as the recent motorsports push through special variants like the Mustang Dark Horse R has demonstrated. Additionally, The Blue Oval clearly intends to push boundaries as to what the Mustang brand represents in the modern era, with the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E Rally serving as evidence that the company won’t let its treasured nameplate stagnate in one particular lane. Later this week, the company is planning on essentially doubling down on that ethos with plans to debut the first-ever mid-engine Mustang, according to sources familiar with the matter.

More at link, but no pics yet.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-to-debut-mid-engine-mustang-this-thursday-exclusive/amp/
Update:
Leaked pics appear to be legit.  Apparently it is being dubbed "GTD".  Updated with leaked pics.

It is supposed to debut at Pebble Beach today (Aug 17) "between 5pm and 7pm".  I'm assuming that is Pacific time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085742_jpg-2922611.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085758_jpg-2922614.JPG

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-mustang-gtd-leaks-ahead-of-debut/
View Quote

Still can’t touch a Dodge Hellcat Challenger … It’s either
MOPAR or no car.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If Strike Industries built a car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ford Mustang lineup has never been stronger, as the recent motorsports push through special variants like the Mustang Dark Horse R has demonstrated. Additionally, The Blue Oval clearly intends to push boundaries as to what the Mustang brand represents in the modern era, with the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E Rally serving as evidence that the company won’t let its treasured nameplate stagnate in one particular lane. Later this week, the company is planning on essentially doubling down on that ethos with plans to debut the first-ever mid-engine Mustang, according to sources familiar with the matter.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-to-debut-mid-engine-mustang-this-thursday-exclusive/amp/

Update:

Leaked pics appear to be legit.  Apparently it is being dubbed "GTD".  Updated with leaked pics.

It is supposed to debut at Pebble Beach today (Aug 17) "between 5pm and 7pm".  I'm assuming that is Pacific time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085742_jpg-2922611.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085758_jpg-2922614.JPG

If Strike Industries built a car.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It seems like a really capable car and I am glad Ford can be bothered to build it.

But I can't even pretend to get excited for a $300k Mustang that is probably only getting sold to hand picked individuals like they did with the last Ford GT.

It's a "racecar for the street" that I will never see on the street.. lol  Just another limited supply car that will be bought by youtubers then flipped for profit when they are ready for the next new thing.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MOPAR or no car.
View Quote

This new Mustang GTD probably smokes the Hellcat in every single category and metric.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm actually pretty impressed with what Ford's doing with the Mustangs. They're building a GT3 racer, a GT4 racer, the GTD, a Darkhorse R spec racer, a Darkhorse track-day car, a Darkhorse production model, and of course GTs of various flavors. I'm glad to see it, and this coming from a guy with multiple Corvettes and Camaros and absolutely no Fords in the family stable.

I guess this is what happens when the CEO races cars on the weekends.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a42579850/ford-ceo-jim-farley-on-turning-pro-in-a-race-car/
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a mid-engine.

"Fitting a transaxle that connects to the front-mounted engine via a carbon-fiber prop shaft shifts the balance of weight rearward. Ford claims the GTD has a nearly 50/50 front-rear balance"
View Quote

Yep, Ford reinvented the C5 Corvette...
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

MOPAR or no car.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh you're quite full of shit on this one Midcap.
As an owner of a couple of these, I have never heard anyone say the Voodoo sounds like shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh god...Ford is going to royally fuck this up without questions.

Remember that last cool thing Ford did? The 5.2L voodoo flat plane....well the retards at ford managed to make a flat plane v8 sound like a bag of smashed ass holes screaming for help. A flat plane is supposed to sound like a symphony of dead dinosaur juice exploding under pressure and FIRE!

Instead they made a nasty sounding engine that sounds like a hoarse coyote is shitting out a stuck rock

Oh you're quite full of shit on this one Midcap.
As an owner of a couple of these, I have never heard anyone say the Voodoo sounds like shit.

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say anything negative about that motor, other than it burns oil. But most high strung motors do.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
When I first saw the pic I was wondering why Ford was making a new GTO

It was interesting to look at but I know I am nowhere near their target audience. Last bought a new car 31 years ago. Trucks ever since. Maybe some rental place will pick them up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

MOPAR or no car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update:

MOPAR or no car.

U-DRAG: Shelby GT500 vs. Dodge Challenger Black Ghost
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update:

MOPAR or no car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--mB_cWKaY

As I was saying....
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say anything negative about that motor, other than it burns oil. But most high strung motors do.
View Quote

It was also a fire risk for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
So its not mid engine then?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Ford just loves fucking up best selling vehicles!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

300k for a mustang.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.
View Quote
So Ford made a ZL-1 1LE and charged 3x what Chevy did to do it?   The C8 Z06 costs half that much and has a flat plane that actually sounds like a flat plane.

The low volume is the only reason they can ask that much.  Worked for the various generations of the GT. Good for them if they can find buyers.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I notice the release was all fluff and no details of under the hood or chassis.  

It was a big sign to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was a big sign to me.
View Quote
Multimatic spool valve suspension. Zl1 had that for a decade. Chevy puts it on pickups now.

It's neat tech and multimatic knows how to build race cars.  None of this is new however, they just put really good stuff in a Mustang. It'll be a performer but not worth 300k.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#22]
That looks awesome, and I’m a GM guy.  Nicely done Ford……except for the price.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Just watched a few videos on this.  Holy fuck it's incredible.

It's not really a Mustang.  It's a supercar with a carbon fiber Mustang shell.  They are gunning for a new record on the Nurburgring.  There is a Bronco Raptor sitting at the local Ford dealer for $103k.  If this is 3x that, it is a bargain.  Especially considering that it will appreciate.  Ford GTs were like $700k.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A bit "angular" to me, but they normally tone it down a little for production. Pretty cool (assuming we are talking the yellow one).
View Quote

Yes, that’s the one I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It was a big sign to me.
View Quote

There are multiple body off pictures of it out there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like this will be a Schmeemobile.  Not for Z-06 buyers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are multiple body off pictures of it out there.
View Quote

Post one for us.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's not really a Mustang.  It's a supercar with a carbon fiber Mustang shell.  They are gunning for a new record on the Nurburgring.  There is a Bronco Raptor sitting at the local Ford dealer for $103k.  If this is 3x that, it is a bargain.  Especially considering that it will appreciate.  Ford GTs were like $700k.

View Quote

Your rational post has no place here amongst the GD car experts’ pontification.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

So is it mid engine? I saw some posters say its like the vettes were before they went mid engine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So is it mid engine? I saw some posters say its like the vettes were before they went mid engine.
View Quote

Engine is up front but it appears to be set back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Only $300k?  I'll take five of them please.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Not the midengine that I was expecting, $300k? I’ll take a Porsche GT3 please and some tire money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Clara Peller? Where's the Beef?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I want to see it do the Nurburgring. If they break 7 minutes, like they claim, I believe that will be the fastest American car.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like this will be a Schmeemobile.  Not for Z-06 buyers.
View Quote

It appears people invited to the reveal were given numbered tokens for allocations. Seems like Ford is picking their buyers again.

It was kind of funny watching one of the YouTubers at the reveal. Two were talking about how it would be their first ford or first mustang. So Fords chosen buyers aren’t even ford or mustang enthusiasts lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V8 in front of the driver.  8 spd transaxle in the rear.  So, 8 in the front, 8 in the rear?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's Front-Mid engine like the C5 and C6 Vettes.  It's not Rear-Mid engine like the C8 Vette.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

V8 in front of the driver.  8 spd transaxle in the rear.  So, 8 in the front, 8 in the rear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#39]
At least its ugly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
if it's a sub six minute ring car they should have put a different carbon fiber shell on it.   The mustang brand doesn't fit.   I guess they don't have too many options though, can't re-invent the GT again already.  

Only apple can milk sheep that hard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
if it's a sub six minute ring car they should have put a different carbon fiber shell on it.   The mustang brand doesn't fit.   I guess they don't have too many options though, can't re-invent the GT again already.  

View Quote

Sub seven
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sub seven
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sub seven
yeah got sub 7 and six minute conflated.

sub 7 is hauling ass, has there been a sub 6 street car?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw a machE the other day and I’ll never respect the Mustang or Ford again
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
has there been a sub 6 street car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sub seven
has there been a sub 6 street car?

I don’t believe there has been.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
meh...sounds like a cross plane V8. Little bit of supercharger whine.  If I closed my eyes I could mistake it for a hellcat.   Doesn't even sounds as special as the voodoo...which didn't sound like a flat plane, but it did sound different.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Porsche 944
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Porsche 944
View Quote

Less 944 and more 928 maybe.

No clue what the weight of the GTD is but it will be a shit ton lighter than a 944 or 928.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I saw a machE the other day and I’ll never respect the Mustang or Ford again
View Quote

Based
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Less 944 and more 928 maybe.

No clue what the weight of the GTD is but it will be a shit ton lighter than a 944 or 928.
View Quote

Ah yes , 928 .

I'll take a 928s 3.0 turbo
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top