300k for a mustang.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

300k for a mustang.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.

It's a hand built race car with a Mustang shell.

They want to win this race for marketing purposes. Billionaires are going to fund it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Umm, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is damn fast.
View Quote

And yet it's mid 12 second 1/4 mile is somehow a let down by comparison.

As for 3.5 second 0-60, so fuckin what.  A 10spd 5.0 Mustang is under 4 seconds 0-60 if you can hook up and will be close to 1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Sorry but the Tran E is a pile of garbage regardless.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a mid-engine.

"Fitting a transaxle that connects to the front-mounted engine via a carbon-fiber prop shaft shifts the balance of weight rearward. Ford claims the GTD has a nearly 50/50 front-rear balance"
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not a mid-engine.

"Fitting a transaxle that connects to the front-mounted engine via a carbon-fiber prop shaft shifts the balance of weight rearward. Ford claims the GTD has a nearly 50/50 front-rear balance"
View Quote

Although -  it is possible to have a front-mid engine (most "mid engines" that we think of are technically rear-mid engines).    The Citroen DS was one example of front-mid.

Front-mid = engine is behind the front wheels, but in front of the cockpit/cabin.  Bonus points if the transmission is in front of the engine.

Rear-mid = engine is in front of the rear wheels, and behind the cockpit/cabin. Bonus points if the transmission is behind the engine (as in some Ferraris, etc.)

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

They made the Mustang ugly and want $300k for it.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Ugh, those leaked pics were real?

It may have amazing performance but not $300K worth, and it looks like the bastard child of a Mazda MX-8, a Camaro, and a fucking shark.

Even if I could afford it, HARD PASS.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It may have amazing performance but not $300K worth, and it looks like the bastard child of a Mazda MX-8, a Camaro, and a fucking shark.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8660/std_jpg-2923376.JPG

View Quote

300k is about 2x as much as they wanted for the factory run of 50 FP350S cars.   No idea if those went for more than list prices.

Guessing the factory GT4 Mustangs will be taking the place of what the FP350S was.  Multimatic makes that too.

Was hoping to hear of a turbo for power adder rather than a super charger.   Tired of blowers on mustangs and really want to see a turbo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've wanted an affordable mid-engine for a while now. I hoped it would come from Toyota, but it'd be nice if this was affordable and not electric.
View Quote

I wish Toyota would bring back the MR-2
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wish Toyota would bring back the MR-2
View Quote

There are pictures of a new concept for the MR-2 that looks great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rx8 is beautiful and if they want the 24hr race every manufacturer should be making spinning Doritos
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
At least you get a Fast and Furious Wing. Just needs some bosozoku pipes to complete the look.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would be nice with something other than a flat plane 4-banger . Maybe an inline 5 . They're talking more money than a brz .
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/ford-mustang-gtd-215-64de23f10b5fa_jpg-2923368.JPG

They made the Mustang ugly and want $300k for it.

No thanks.
View Quote

I think it looks great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

A bit "angular" to me, but they normally tone it down a little for production. Pretty cool (assuming we are talking the yellow one).
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a mid-engine.

View Quote

Good catch! Ford is a joke. Corvette went to that layout in the mid 90's, at least they are going dual clutch. I think that was a mistake for corvette to not go DCT on the C7. Kind of funny how that article never once mentions the vette as its intended competition, and it's going to get dominated by the C8 in just about every category.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

300k for a mustang.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.
View Quote

Jeebus. That’s insanely stupid.

I’ll stick with my 2015GTPP or the ZL1 for fun. Or the Viper if I just want raw power. Out of storage space regardless. Ha.

I do have to give them credit for one thing. Active Aero is a game changer. More sports cars could take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That mustang they have now is GT4 I believe.   Has a transaxle that I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like Ford wants a platform to compete in IMSA against the 992 GT3 R and M4 GT3. I can't tell if this is mid front or mid rear. The M4 GT3 is mid front. The 911 GT3 R is mid rear.

That mustang they have now is GT4 I believe.   Has a transaxle that I know.

Mid front. The unveil specifically said it's a GT3. Ford is building a FIA/IMSA homologation car.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Ford Mustang lineup has never been stronger, as the recent motorsports push through special variants like the Mustang Dark Horse R has demonstrated. Additionally, The Blue Oval clearly intends to push boundaries as to what the Mustang brand represents in the modern era, with the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E Rally serving as evidence that the company won’t let its treasured nameplate stagnate in one particular lane. Later this week, the company is planning on essentially doubling down on that ethos with plans to debut the first-ever mid-engine Mustang, according to sources familiar with the matter.

More at link, but no pics yet.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-to-debut-mid-engine-mustang-this-thursday-exclusive/amp/

Update:

Leaked pics appear to be legit.  Apparently it is being dubbed "GTD".  Updated with leaked pics.

It is supposed to debut at Pebble Beach today (Aug 17) "between 5pm and 7pm".  I'm assuming that is Pacific time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085742_jpg-2922611.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_2023-08-17_085758_jpg-2922614.JPG

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-mustang-gtd-leaks-ahead-of-debut/
View Quote

If Strike Industries built a car.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not a mid-engine.

View Quote

Mid engine only means the engine is between the axles. The M4 GT3 is a mid front also.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]
So it's like a 944 Porsche
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As for 3.5 second 0-60, so fuckin what.  A 10spd 5.0 Mustang is under 4 seconds 0-60 if you can hook up and will be close to 1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is damn fast.

"If you can hook up"....so no 10R80 Mustang off a prepped surface....and it still loses.  The Mach-E GT will embarrass just about every RWD ICE car from a stoplight...hardly slow.

You are right that it should run 11s in the 1/4.  Ford has promised to open that up so we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#23]
The First-Ever Ford Mustang GTD | Ford

Making Mustang® History | Ford
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems like a really capable car and I am glad Ford can be bothered to build it.

But I can't even pretend to get excited for a $300k Mustang that is probably only getting sold to hand picked individuals like they did with the last Ford GT.

It's a "racecar for the street" that I will never see on the street.. lol  Just another limited supply car that will be bought by youtubers then flipped for profit when they are ready for the next new thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mid engine only means the engine is between the axles. The M4 GT3 is a mid front also.
View Quote

So are most of not all rotaries
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone looking at those leaked pics knew it wasn't mid (rear) engined.  Just a hand built "street race" car 100k overpriced.  800 hp and won't be able to keep up with a Z06 Vette
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]
@midcap come look at the 300k Ford
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#28]
don't like it, they should have stuck with the ford gt

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mid front. The unveil specifically said it's a GT3. Ford is building a FIA/IMSA homologation car.
View Quote

It seems to be both.   With the Dork Horse they revealed the GT4 entry.   That thing came with a transaxle and I am betting they used that development to move towards this GTD for going towards GT3 as well.   Would love to know how much of tbe underlying frame/suspension between the two cars is the same.    Wonder what if any parts geometry are shared with actual mustangs.

If only they never introduced that stupid EV crossover to forever tarnish the name of the Mustang.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Ford you really need a mass firing.....why not call this thing by another name? And that electric Mustang is an abomination.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Isn't the Aztek considered one of the biggest auto failures in history?
View Quote

Tell that to Lambo. Seen quite a few if them when I was in UAE.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ford you really need a mass firing.....why not call this thing by another name? And that electric Mustang is an abomination.
View Quote
It's shit, but it will sell to rich boomers that think it's as hot as fake tits on a bimbo.
Very disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's shit, but it will sell to rich boomers that think it's as hot as fake tits on a bimbo.
Very disappointed.
View Quote

i happen to like fake tits on a bimbo. but i also have a mustang in the garage. and a corvette. so i'm all sorts of conflicted and fucked up
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I see mostly non-racers and non-car people that are angry. lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Very disappointed.
View Quote
Its literally a race car that will be road legal.  It likely sucks to drive on the street but doubtful it is shit especially with the engineering behind it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#36]

I get what Ford is trying to do here...but I don't care for it. As a Mustang lover, I guess I should be ecstatic, but my needle didn't move much.

Now, as I said earlier, a stripped Mustang GT (call it an LX for nostalgia) with very little comfort goodies, perhaps even no rear seat, but with all the performance of a GT would definitely move the needle, especially if it were cheaper and lighter than the GT.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I see mostly non-racers and non-car people that are angry. lol
View Quote

I appreciate the racing aspect. But I was hoping for a mass market mid engine that is priced lower than a C8. That would have been interesting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very disappointed.
View Quote

Ironic boomer post is ironic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn $300K for a Mustang. I wonder if Lego Technic took part in the design.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I would be impressed if it was priced appropriately ($150K). Competing with a 992 GT3 that I’m sure is in every way more special, at probably $60-$100K over the Porsche price, is not a great idea for a Mustang. Will they sell? Probably. It’s a rare special edition. There are way too many Mustang lovers out there.
But I can’t imagine the fit and finish is anything Porsche like.
Hard pass for $300K.

Eta, I own a S550 Mustang too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mid-engine is cool. Mid-engine Mustang is gay.

They literally couldn't think of another name? Everything is a Mustang these days.
View Quote

This ^

A mid engine Mustang should be called GT-20.  It's only half as good as the GT-40.

....In any case, no tree lawn, curb or crowd will ever be safe.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#42]
90% of these will wind up in some Arabs middle-eastern garage.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh god...Ford is going to royally fuck this up without questions.

Remember that last cool thing Ford did? The 5.2L voodoo flat plane....well the retards at ford managed to make a flat plane v8 sound like a bag of smashed ass holes screaming for help. A flat plane is supposed to sound like a symphony of dead dinosaur juice exploding under pressure and FIRE!

Instead they made a nasty sounding engine that sounds like a hoarse coyote is shitting out a stuck rock
View Quote

I haven't laughed that hard in months!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Mid engine?

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A dumbass at GM who wanted to produce granny cars.........the Fiero had alot more room to be developed
View Quote

It's a damn same it was more Chevette than Fiero, until the final production year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Uh no thanks, I'll keep the one I've got.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#47]
lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

My m3 beats those times for $88k
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll never complain about the OEMs building hot rods. Hopefully the car is as capable as they are touting it to be. I don't mind the looks - styling is always subjective anyway.

At least it's powered by gasoline. I half-expected it to be an exotic electric car that would be really fast for 12 minutes, and then take 8 hours to recharge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

300k for a mustang.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.
View Quote

Nothing I'll be buying.

Heck, my wife told me that if I bought the $50k pickup truck I wanted, I'd have to keep working until the day I die. For a $300k Mustang I'd have to go for about 50 years past that!!!

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top