Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/19/2018 8:20:58 AM EDT
I just currently have some old esterbrooks and a lamy safari, but it's time to get a much nicer pen. I'm really thinking of the diplomat aero in orange, it looks cool as hell and many have stated that diplomat makes some of the best steel nibs. But what else would you recommend? I like more modern designs and dont like vanishing points
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Zebra F-301.
Available at Walmart everywhere.
Buy ammo with the left over $$.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Anybody that pays over about a dollar for a pen is a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yah, and all you need is a mosin and a rhom 38.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad we don't all like the same things. If we did, the businesses that give away free pens would be out of free pens every time I needed one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
My most expensive one is a lamy Al-Star.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Luxury brands only exist because conspicuous consumption is a thing.

It’s like women buying luxury shoes or handbags, they do it to show off to their friends, not because they’re functionally better.

OP get a diamond and gold grill with dollar signs and shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a Namiki Vanishing Point when I was moved
into a customer service position several years ago.
My intent in using a fountain pen was to help me
slow down when taking notes so that I could read
when I needed to review it. It didn't help that
much because I have always had terrible hand
writing, but I really enjoyed using that pen, so
that's something.

The one I have will take cartridges, and it has a
pump insert. I used the cartridges.

Namiki Vanishing Point
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
On a side note, I really like Pilot Iroshizuku ink.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude that's like saying anybody that lives in anything but a single wide is an idiot.

Perhaps I want something nice hecause I like to write a daily journal because it gives me relax time and it helps me recall the little things I've always ended up not remembering because my memory is shit
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Century Platinums are nice as well as a Sailor 1911.

Pilots custom 74 are decent.

Pens are finicky thing. It’s a personal preference really.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Zebra costs more than a dollar, about $2.50 or so if I remember correctly but they feel so good in the hand it's really worth it.
I hate to overpay for something but to me the extra is worth it.
And the comments from people who borrow it lets me know I have a truly remarkable writing instrument.
People always ask what brand pen is this?
Where did you get it?
Then they comment.
It writes so smooth, and feels so good I could write with this all day.
I actually fear that one day they may no longer make this pen and I think I'm gonna stockpile a few of them to make sure I never have to use a less perfect writing instrument.
I will just have to learn to live with the overpaying thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Pilot Falcon
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
By that logic we should all be wearing $10 Casio watches and driving a Nissan Versa.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a much lower budget when I was getting into fountain pens, but my favorite is still my Nemosine Fission. The metal body gives it some heft that makes it feel better than a similarly priced Lamy Safari.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
This is an item you want to buy from a pawn shop.

Your $150 will go a lot farther.

ETA: My most recent pen pick up.

Attachment Attached File

ETA2: For some a premium pen is simply conspicuous consumption, for others it adds “weight” to the act of signing a mortgage, contract, or other life changing document. If my pawn shop friends are to be believed most of their pens come from lawyers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I own a few Mont Blanc pens ( gifted to me ) but this is the pen I carry most often ( and actually purchased myself ).

Writes nicely, has some heft to it, and it was designed by a friend of mine :)

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#21]
He does have some models in the price range you are looking to spend, and you may like taking a look around.  He does some amazing work.  carolinapencompany
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I love spending money on stupid shit I don't need, but this is still the only pen I'll buy and use.

Amazon Product
  • Ballpoint pen with bold 1.4mm point helps you confidently communicate your thoughts
  • Soft grip for comfortable everyday writing
  • Reliably vivid ink brightens up your notes

ETA: I take that back, I bought an FDE Rite In The Rain pen to go with my FDE Rite In The Rain notebook

Amazon Product
  • Country of origin: USA
  • Brand name: Rite in the Rain
  • Item number: Ritrfde97

Amazon Product
  • WEATHERPROOF PAPER: 64 pages / 32 sheets per side spiral notepad. All-Weather paper won't turn to mush when wet and will repel water, sweat, grease, mud, and even survive the accidental laundry mishap. Make sure your pocket notebook stays RIGHT in the Rain.
  • WIRE-O BINDING: Tough impact-resistant Wire-O binding won't lose its shape in your backpack or book bag. Unlike a standard spiral notebook, Wire-O keeps your open pages aligned and intact.
  • WRITE IN THE RAIN: Use a standard pencil like a #2 Ticonderoga or an All-Weather Pen like a Fisher Space Pen and your notes will stay intact. Standard Ballpoint pens will work when paper is dry. Water-based inks will bead off Rite in the Rain paper sheets.

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]
What does it do that a $5 or less pen won't?
If nothing then no way I could justify it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
My all time favorite.

Lamy 2000

Was interested in the Vanishing Point but read in reviews that they can tend to leak
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Monteverde Invincia with a carbon-fiber overlay. I have a daybook I keep for work (It saved my ass more than once) and I like writing in it with a good pen. I found that using Rohrer and Klingner Salix in that pen won't bleed through on anything but the shittiest paper.

I also have a Sheaffer 300 (sadly, out of production) that I do drawing markups with. The drafters like it because I use waterproof inks that don't smear so much when they use a highlighter on the marks.

I discovered that a good pen is like a good fly rod or pistol. What fits you may be terrible for the next guy, so you have to try them out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
What if you need to kill people with it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then you use a pencil.
A fucking pencil!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
use a pencil instead?

ETA: dammit, beat!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
GBPSE

In some lines of work, you cannot show up with the pen you stole from the Motel 6 and expect to be taken seriously by your clients. That's why plenty of financial advisors and lawyers have a Mont Blanc in their breast pocket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Zebra F-301.
Available at Walmart everywhere.
Buy ammo with the left over $$.
View Quote
Pretty dangerous item, maybe there should be background checks?

About This Item
Warning - Choking Hazard - Children Under 3
This toy is not suitable for ages under 3 years. It contains one or more of the following items marbles; small ball; or small parts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s like women buying luxury shoes or handbags, they do it to show off to their friends, not because they’re functionally better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is you shop at Walmart and don't mind everything you own being Chinese since you are saving a few bucks.  Am I right?

Your attitude is what killed the American manufacturer; caring more about your wallet and yourself than quality and heritage.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]
For mechanical pencils I like the Uni Kuru Toga pencil and a nice art gum eraser.

For pens I usually use Zebras F-301, or the Compact F301 pocket pen. And the F-402

For fountain pens I like the Lamy CP1 black titanium pen.

Its sleek and nice.  It's true what was said above, the pen and the ink flow and how it feels when crossing a paper and really add to the experience of writing.  Fountain pens are so smooth and almost effortless.  My Bic pens leave my hands almost cramped after a session of taking notes from a lecture. Having to press with a certain force to get the ball to turn and the ink to flow.  A fountain pen is a breeze and a pleasure to use

If you dont want to shell out 150$ on such a vain purchase, I'd suggest the Lamy.  It has a more appealing purchase price point and it gets you into the door to the world of effortless writing. It can he bad for 50 to 60.  Possibly less if you look thoroughly enough. More more accessible to the common man or middling.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
And you are still over-cooking the fries.  How about you focus on your work and let the adults talk?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
GBPSE

In some lines of work, you cannot show up with the pen you stole from the Motel 6 and expect to be taken seriously by your clients. That's why plenty of financial advisors and lawyers have a Mont Blanc in their breast pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GBPSE

This, and...

Would you trust a car you still owed over $10,000 on to a shade tree mechanic with Harbor Freight tools and an engine hoist attached to the tree he works under?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dude that's like saying anybody that lives in anything but a single wide is an idiot.

Perhaps I want something nice hecause I like to write a daily journal because it gives me relax time and it helps me recall the little things I've always ended up not remembering because my memory is shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know when that pen gains equity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Let me know when that pen gains equity.
View Quote
See the one I posted above... Recent sales put me well in the black.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I don’t care how anyone spends their money, and to each their own. I enjoy the finer things, and I don’t begrudge anyone else from doing the same.

But to me a pen is in the same realm as a toothbrush or disposable razor. I’ve never been bowled over impressed by anyone with an expensive pen, and I’ve signed shitloads of important documents worth millions of dollars with a Bic pen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#39]
IN,,,,,,,,,,for the read. I haven't used a fountain pen in ages, and didn't like them much when I did. An interesting and nostalgic item, but not something I would enjoy using.
Ball points are smoother, less mess, last longer, and IMHO write better.
If I were in to calligraphy, it would be different.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just currently have some old esterbrooks and a lamy safari, but it's time to get a much nicer pen. I'm really thinking of the diplomat aero in orange, it looks cool as hell and many have stated that diplomat makes some of the best steel nibs. But what else would you recommend? I like more modern designs and dont like vanishing points
View Quote

I recently picked up one of the special edition Stipula's that Goulet Pens has been offering.
$180 is a bit more than the $150 you are looking to spend, but its a very nice pen and writes nicely.
Free bottle of monteverde ink as well.

Link to pen

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don’t care how anyone spends their money, and to each their own. I enjoy the finer things, and I don’t begrudge anyone else from doing the same.

But to me a pen is in the same realm as a toothbrush or disposable razor. I’ve never been bowled over impressed by anyone with an expensive pen, and I’ve signed shitloads of important documents worth millions of dollars with a Bic pen.
View Quote
Some people don’t keep trophies, then again some do.

I have the pen my father took notes with in law school. It was bought for him by a judge, also a family member, the day he left to start. Guess what pen I used? It’s waiting on the shelf in my office for the next one. You can do that with a Bic, but it wouldn’t be quite the same now then, would it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Parker 51 Signet for the win.  When you're in a meeting and lay that hunk of gold down
on a pad of paper, you demonstrate your status as a man of means.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Parker 51 Signet for the win.  When you're in a meeting and lay that hunk of gold down
on a pad of paper, you demonstrate your status as a man of means.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72639/parker-51-signet_jpg-744176.JPG
View Quote
My mom used to have a Parker 51
My dad found it in a drawer and tried to write with it, it was empty at the time so he tossed it not realizing that it could be easily filled from the bottle of ink next to it
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for shitting on the thread. You may leave now!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only if his Mosin is an airsoft replica gun or a demilled rifle with the bore cemented shut! What an icehole. He needs to go be poor somewhere else!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#46]
im sent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Which is true for a large percentage of the population, granted.

However, I use a fountain pen at my desk every day. In my private office, where it never gets seen by anyone else.
I do a ton of paperwork, and I enjoy the way it writes, and it makes a miserable task slightly easier to tolerate.
Try it before you knock it. Never know where a few bucks might make your life a bit nicer.

Also, do you feel that way about optics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is true for a large percentage of the population, granted.

However, I use a fountain pen at my desk every day. In my private office, where it never gets seen by anyone else.
I do a ton of paperwork, and I enjoy the way it writes, and it makes a miserable task slightly easier to tolerate.
Try it before you knock it. Never know where a few bucks might make your life a bit nicer.

Also, do you feel that way about optics?
I’m willing to pay more for a marked performance upgrade, but I feel the same way about lots of “tactical” stuff.

Like the $3,000 pistol with gold inlays and shit? That’s dumb, really dumb.

I guess I just don’t get “art”, I’m pretty spartan in most regards because efficiency appeals to me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I have these MontBlanc pens. The feel of the resin tube in your hand is amazing. But, my EDC pen is this Gun Barrel titanium pen made by Matthew Martin on the right side of the picture. Because it is extremely lightweight and can be used as a weapon in a pinch. I paid $175 for it.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#49]
A $150 pen?  Is there bourbon in it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I love fountain pens. Have been carrying one with me for decades; I avoid writing with anything else if I can. A good fountain pen glides over the paper; nothing else compares.

I'm currently carrying a Shaeffer 300 (somewhat below your price at only $65), but it looks nice, has a nice heft to it. Since you like steel nibs, you would probably like it - not a lot of flex, but writes very smooth.

I'm currently going through my collection of fountain pens and clearing out the ones I don't really care for to make room for more; this thread is giving me some great ideas!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top