Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yah, and all you need is a mosin and a rhom 38.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Let me know when that pen gains equity.
View Quote
Why the hell would I care if it gained equity?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Kaweco Sport that I like.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The naysayers have obviously never used a nice fountain pen, or they're too dense to enjoy it. There's just something very satisfying about the way they write. It's almost like therapy. People don't write hardly anymore though so they've fallen out of use. I wish I wrote a lot to justify buying one just for the therapeutic effect, but I go days without writing anything at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people enjoy the little things in life and some people live 99 cents at a time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a utilitarian, function over form kinda guy and doesn't believe in investing his shekels in depreciating assets, thus only the cheapest most efficient pen (bic) will do.  No formalities, no pretense, just a pragmatic, utilitarian pen to complement his spartan and austere approach to what is important to him in life???

I forget if it was King David or King Solomon said that all his fancy robes and kingly attire was not to satisfy his ego but more was a way to meet decorum and command respect as he met with many other kings, chiefs and leaders.  Sometimes your position demands it.

Like driving a nice looking well kept car to work.  If it is trashy and dirty people will take note and equate that to how you treat their projects.  Showing up with a clean, organized car that isn't a beater shows you care enough about yourself and have self respect that you'll take care of their projects. Same with your daily work wardrobe and hairstyling.  You'll gain more respect and influence if you dont show up looking like a homeless slob.

A pen is a tool no less. Fact of the matter is fountain pens write cleaner and smoother and are better tools for the job as compare to scratchy bic pens. Either will work.  A bic is a throwaway item.  Most fountain pens are refillable and can last a lifetime. Overtime you will not a break even point where the fountain pen pays for itself in the amount of bic pens you would have used.

Also it is law 34 of the 48 laws of power by Robert Greene. Be royal in your own fashion: act like a king to be treated like one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Found a montblanc 32 on craigslist for 60 bucks, seems it may be a decent deal to pick up as well
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found a montblanc 32 on craigslist for 60 bucks, seems it may be a decent deal to pick up as well
View Quote
With box and papers? Purchase recipt is also a plus.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dude that's like saying anybody that lives in anything but a single wide is an idiot.

Perhaps I want something nice hecause I like to write a daily journal because it gives me relax time and it helps me recall the little things I've always ended up not remembering because my memory is shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody that pays over about a dollar for a pen is a fucking idiot.
Dude that's like saying anybody that lives in anything but a single wide is an idiot.

Perhaps I want something nice hecause I like to write a daily journal because it gives me relax time and it helps me recall the little things I've always ended up not remembering because my memory is shit
The functional purposes to a larger home are pretty much endless.

What’s the functional purpose to a $150 pen?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
By that logic we should all be wearing $10 Casio watches and driving a Nissan Versa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By that logic we should all be wearing $10 Casio watches and driving a Nissan Versa.
More expensive items in both of those categories (motor vehicles and watches) offer added benefits and features over their cheaper counterparts.

What added benefit or feature does a $150 pen add over a pen that costs a few dollars?  Honest question.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My guess is you shop at Walmart and don't mind everything you own being Chinese since you are saving a few bucks.  Am I right?

Your attitude is what killed the American manufacturer; caring more about your wallet and yourself than quality and heritage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luxury brands only exist because conspicuous consumption is a thing.

It’s like women buying luxury shoes or handbags, they do it to show off to their friends, not because they’re functionally better.

OP get a diamond and gold grill with dollar signs and shit.
My guess is you shop at Walmart and don't mind everything you own being Chinese since you are saving a few bucks.  Am I right?

Your attitude is what killed the American manufacturer; caring more about your wallet and yourself than quality and heritage.
You have to spend $150 to get an American made pen?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With box and papers? Purchase recipt is also a plus.
View Quote
Unlikely, but honestly I could care less about stuff like that
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is an item you want to buy from a pawn shop.

Your $150 will go a lot farther.

ETA: My most recent pen pick up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83325/1BBE04E4-A2E2-438B-9A6D-763AE43FF527_jpeg-744086.JPG

ETA2: For some a premium pen is simply conspicuous consumption, for others it adds “weight” to the act of signing a mortgage, contract, or other life changing document. If my pawn shop friends are to be believed most of their pens come from lawyers.
View Quote
It IS conspicuous consumption, but some people spend on tools, some on guns, some on pens, some on cars, some on watches.

We place value in different items.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Waterman Opera
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What added benefit or feature does a $150 pen add over a pen that costs a few dollars?  Honest question.
View Quote
they used to write and flow much more smoothly than a cheapo ballpoint pen.  However, a $2 refillable Pilot G2 with a medium or broad point is one of the greatest-writing pens available.

The benefit of that $150 pen is when you're dealing with certain clients who value you on certain appearances.  It's totally not fair that a prospective client will look at your car, or your pen, or your suit, and say "if that's all this guy can afford, then he must not be very good at what he does."  But in some professions, that is the reality, depending on the level of client.

And before any of you say, "well, fuck those professions, blah blah blah," a $400 pen is a very wise investment in client-getting when your hourly rate is north of $200/hour...
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clearly written by someone who has never used a good pen.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

GBPSE

In some lines of work, you cannot show up with the pen you stole from the Motel 6 and expect to be taken seriously by your clients. That's why plenty of financial advisors and lawyers have a Mont Blanc in their breast pocket.
View Quote
Yes, one of the key criteria for having millions in AUM is a fancy pen in the breast pocket. No business can be done without it.

Conspicuous consuming.

Just like every young financial advisor has to drive an infiniti, Audi, or BMW. Gotta have that power sedan and the suit to match.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m willing to pay more for a marked performance upgrade, but I feel the same way about lots of “tactical” stuff.

Like the $3,000 pistol with gold inlays and shit? That’s dumb, really dumb.

I guess I just don’t get “art”, I’m pretty spartan in most regards because efficiency appeals to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s like women buying luxury shoes or handbags, they do it to show off to their friends, not because they’re functionally better.

Which is true for a large percentage of the population, granted.

However, I use a fountain pen at my desk every day. In my private office, where it never gets seen by anyone else.
I do a ton of paperwork, and I enjoy the way it writes, and it makes a miserable task slightly easier to tolerate.
Try it before you knock it. Never know where a few bucks might make your life a bit nicer.

Also, do you feel that way about optics?
I’m willing to pay more for a marked performance upgrade, but I feel the same way about lots of “tactical” stuff.

I guess I just don’t get “art”, I’m pretty spartan in most regards because efficiency appeals to me.
If you write with a ball point pen for anything beyond a signature then this is a false statement.

A fountain pen is by far the most efficient writing instrument ever created if you are writing for any long period.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
PenBBS 309

Wing Sung 601

Wing Sung 618

Wing Sung 626
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, one of the key criteria for having millions in AUM is a fancy pen in the breast pocket. No business can be done without it.

Conspicuous consuming.

Just like every young financial advisor has to drive an infiniti, Audi, or BMW. Gotta have that power sedan and the suit to match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GBPSE

In some lines of work, you cannot show up with the pen you stole from the Motel 6 and expect to be taken seriously by your clients. That's why plenty of financial advisors and lawyers have a Mont Blanc in their breast pocket.

Conspicuous consuming.

Bit of a stretch don’t you think.

“Know your client/customer,” is a thing and has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More expensive items in both of those categories (motor vehicles and watches) offer added benefits and features over their cheaper counterparts.

View Quote
Many folk, myself included, prefer the feel of a fountain pen nib to that of a ballpoint.
With a ballpoint you usually have to apply a good bit of pressure to the paper to write, with a fountain pen you need little more than the weight of the pen itself.
Many nibs allow for a good bit of flex, which allows you to easily vary the thickness of the lines in you letters. Other nibs are whats called a "stub nib" which will give you even more line variation (see the example i posted above)
You also have a pen, that if cared for, will last you a lifetime. All you need to do is buy a bottle of ink every now and then to keep it filled.

There are fountain pens out there that write very well that wont break the bank. The two I use most at work are made by Twsbi and cost around 25 bucks each.

They write very nicely and i prefer them to the cheap bic pens that the office supplies us with.
Pick one up and give it a shot if you are curious to try one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

they used to write and flow much more smoothly than a cheapo ballpoint pen.  However, a $2 refillable Pilot G2 with a medium or broad point is one of the greatest-writing pens available.

The benefit of that $150 pen is when you're dealing with certain clients who value you on certain appearances.  It's totally not fair that a prospective client will look at your car, or your pen, or your suit, and say "if that's all this guy can afford, then he must not be very good at what he does."  But in some professions, that is the reality, depending on the level of client.

And before any of you say, "well, fuck those professions, blah blah blah," a $400 pen is a very wise investment in client-getting when your hourly rate is north of $200/hour...
View Quote
I dont care for the pilot g2 pens.
Tried some before switching to fountain pens.
And no, i dont need to impress clients with a fancy pen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Some people don’t keep trophies, then again some do.

I have the pen my father took notes with in law school. It was bought for him by a judge, also a family member, the day he left to start. Guess what pen I used? It’s waiting on the shelf in my office for the next one. You can do that with a Bic, but it wouldn’t be quite the same now then, would it?
View Quote
Having a treasured piece of your father’s history isn’t even remotely the same thing as buying an expensive pen because reasons, is it?

No one needs to justify to me why they may feel the need to buy an expensive pen. I’m simply not all that impressed by it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you write with a ball point pen for anything beyond a signature then this is a false statement.

A fountain pen is by far the most efficient writing instrument ever created if you are writing for any long period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, I use a fountain pen at my desk every day. In my private office, where it never gets seen by anyone else.
I do a ton of paperwork, and I enjoy the way it writes, and it makes a miserable task slightly easier to tolerate.
Try it before you knock it. Never know where a few bucks might make your life a bit nicer.

Does it have to cost over $100?

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm partial to Waterman's myself. Have half dozen of them. I like fine nibs myself. Keeps me from having too heavy a hand.

Not to send you off down the rabbit hole but enjoy the trip.

Colorado Pen
Goulet Pen Co.
Fahrney's Pens

Last Pen I bought, Waterman Charleston:

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I doubt it.
View Quote
It doenst have to, I have some that are in the 25 dollar range
I also have one that's 180 bucks.

Think of it like a stock AR trigger compared to something like a Geissele SDC. They both do the job well, but one of them is a hell of a lot smoother.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Parker Sonnet. I actually have the Secret Shell version which was a bit more than your price range. But I'm pretty sure most of that line is closer to $150.

For anyone getting into fountain pens, I would recommend Lamy as a good starting point. The Safari is plastic, the Al Star is aluminum, and the Logo is stainless steel and sleek. I've got several and have no complaints.

Avoid the Pilot Metropolitan series. They are affordable but every one of mine leaks. I have a Monteverde Impressa that looks pretty cool and wasn't too expensive. But the screw that holds the clip in place came loose after a few days and it leaks pretty bad as well.

5 years ago I wouldn't have guessed that I would ever own a fountain pen. I've always been a bit picky, as in I would only buy certain name brand clicky pens. But since getting my first Lamy, I've come to realize that there is a whole world of cool crap revolving around the mundane task of writing. Tons of different inks, and nibs, and stationary. I actually enjoy buying nice notebooks and journaling now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Or buy a custom built pen from member Covertness.

@Covertness
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Were you homeschooled in a lead factory?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
English
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
When you can buy a Blackwing 602 in bulk for about $47 each.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.
No, not necessarily depending on the smoothness of the nib and your luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#37]
OP take a look here http://www.karaskustoms.com/.  I have one of their's in solid copper.  Very heavy but writes great!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread is about as stupid as people lining up and paying $12 for broth.  Just broth.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like to carry a solid steel pen when flying, going to concerts, or going to other NPEs.  A $10 pen beats harsh language.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP take a look here http://www.karaskustoms.com/.  I have one of their's in solid copper.  Very heavy but writes great!
View Quote
Just added another pen to my wish list...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just wish they offered a piston pen instead of cartridge/converters
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]
My TWSBI eco is my favorite so far

OP, throw another zero on the end and watch GD lose their marbles
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I won't buy a cartridge or conversion. Piston pen is best pen.
View Quote
Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83325/1BBE04E4-A2E2-438B-9A6D-763AE43FF527_jpeg-744086.JPG

ETA2: For some a premium pen is simply conspicuous consumption, for others it adds “weight” to the act of signing a mortgage, contract, or other life changing document. If my pawn shop friends are to be believed most of their pens come from lawyers.
View Quote
@BigFatDog

I have to ask, how good of a steal did you get on that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The naysayers have obviously never used a nice fountain pen, or they're too dense to enjoy it. There's just something very satisfying about the way they write. It's almost like therapy. People don't write hardly anymore though so they've fallen out of use. I wish I wrote a lot to justify buying one just for the therapeutic effect, but I go days without writing anything at all.
View Quote
The younger crowd doesn't write, they print
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I have been using skillcraft pens at work, Made in the USA by blind people.
Liquid Magnus arrowhead ball.  Pretty nice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Dear lord!
Definitely out of my price range
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@BigFatDog

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BigFatDog

Better than I deserve.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top