BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 80
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are damn sure getting a shit ton of publicity.

It better be something cool or they will never hear the end of it.
View Quote
They know this. That's why it has to be "new technology".

Their credibility will fly out the window if otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
New wrinkle:

http://www.recoilweb.com/has-franklin-armory-found-an-atf-loophole-132912.html

Franklin Armory gets an A+ in marketing (for now). With one press release, they have blogs, forums, and social media buzzing with speculation about how its new product, the Reformation, is approved by the ATF. Here’s the simple answer: it’s not.

We reached out to Franklin Armory for comment and were told via phone and email that they will not be releasing any more information on the Reformation until SHOT Show.

Multiple sources within the ATF have confirmed that there has been no approval for this product as a non-NFA firearm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
New wrinkle:

http://www.recoilweb.com/has-franklin-armory-found-an-atf-loophole-132912.html

Franklin Armory gets an A+ in marketing (for now). With one press release, they have blogs, forums, and social media buzzing with speculation about how its new product, the Reformation, is approved by the ATF. Here’s the simple answer: it’s not.

We reached out to Franklin Armory for comment and were told via phone and email that they will not be releasing any more information on the Reformation until SHOT Show.

Multiple sources within the ATF have confirmed that there has been no approval for this product as a non-NFA firearm.
Uh-oh. Did FA jump the gun?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Been observing this thread since page one. Didn't feel like I could add anything new to all the conjecture. However, I can maybe help rule out one of the main theories. Per TFB...

"I’ve talked to my contact at Franklin. It is not trigger based. You can use standard or binary triggers."

The above was  posted by one of their staff members in the comments section about 6 hours ago. I'll post a screenshot below for reference.

So, IIRC, the following has thus far been "confirmed" by Franklin Armory.

-Not a smooth bore
-Not trigger related
-Not a rifle
-Not a shotgun
-OK to use a conventional stock
-11.5" Barrel

So...what viable theories remain that can meet those above conditions?

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Semantics loophole ala Mossberg shockwave
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been observing this thread since page one. Didn't feel like I could add anything new to all the conjecture. However, I can maybe help rule out one of the main theories. Per TFB...

"I’ve talked to my contact at Franklin. It is not trigger based. You can use standard or binary triggers."

The above was  posted by one of their staff members in the comments section about 6 hours ago. I'll post a screenshot below for reference.

-Not a smooth bore
-Not trigger related
-Not a rifle
-Not a shotgun
-11.5" Barrel

http://i.cubeupload.com/InZa8Q.jpeg
View Quote
My Lancaster oval bore theory is looking better and better...

Assuming the BATFE ultimately approves the firearm, of course.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
FA better awe the world or they'll go down in history as the biggest cock tease ever.
That's quite the gamble.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
An extendable buffer tube has to be it, but it's a big assumption FA is making that it will be approved. I wouldn't assume anything regarding the ATF, or any government agency for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An extendable buffer tube has to be it, but it's a big assumption FA is making that it will be approved. I wouldn't assume anything regarding the ATF, or any government agency for that matter.
View Quote
It has to be something with the barrel or it has something to skirt around the definition of what is a rifle. Doesn't matter how long the overall gun is, if it has a stock and sub-16" barrel it's an SBR.

I don't think this is what they did, but someone should try it because I think it could work. Sliding adjustable flash hider that sleeves around the barrel.

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has to be something with the barrel or it has something to skirt around the definition of what is a rifle. Doesn't matter how long the overall gun is, if it has a stock and sub-16" barrel it's an SBR.

I don't think this is what they did, but someone should try it because I think it could work. Sliding adjustable flash hider that sleeves around the barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326493/11-418452.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that. My brain is so cluttered from reading this thread I can't think straight.

ETA no, wait. Are you sure? Ow, my head.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
JMHO but solution to a problem that no longer exist!  Really don't see the need or reason for SBR with the huge variety of braces now available and ATF currently saying shouldering is OK.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/psa_family-418108.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/psalower-418110.JPG
View Quote
Who wants to break the bad news to this guy?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
You are a fucking master of your craft.

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn’t read anything other than the OP, but who the fuck cares now that everyone and their brother already has an AR pistol or three with Sig brace?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Firing more than one projectile would make it not a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're right. It would be a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
It's airsoft
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's airsoft
View Quote
Not impossible
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not if both bullets came out of the same case.  Project SALVO?  It wouldn't meet any federal definition of rifle or shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
In on 19
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I knew that. My brain is so cluttered from reading this thread I can't think straight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is a "rifle" and has a barrel under 16" it's an SBR regardless of anything else about it. The only way I can see this being possible is for them to have somehow designed this to not be a rifle. It's the "intended to be fired from the shoulder" part that I don't know how they are getting around. You can make AR pistols with braces, shotguns with pistols grips and have short barrels. But as soon as you put a stock on it and it has a barrel under 16" I can't see a way it's not an SBR.

(7) The term ''rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or rede- signed and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than six- teen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FA better awe the world or they'll go down in history as the biggest cock tease ever.
That's quite the gamble.
View Quote
I can already see the memes if this thing turns out to be nothing, or stupid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would have to be pinned in the long config. ATF is notorious for playing fast and loose with their measurements and testing "standards."

Removing muzzle devices/stocks and switching buffer tubes before measuring, using soft primer ammunition to induce slam fires, filing on FCG's to induce hammer follow and doubles, etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It will be epic.

At least 87x the beating Springfield took for "grip zone."
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Would have to be pinned in the long config. ATF is notorious for playing fast and loose with their measurements and testing "standards."

Removing muzzle devices/stocks and switching buffer tubes before measuring, using soft primer ammunition to induce slam fires, filing on FCG's to induce hammer follow and doubles, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true but ATF ethics aside, the way of measuring OAL is with the stock fully extended or unfolded. In theory the same standard should apply to muzzle devices for barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it possible that Franklin simply pinned the barrel to the receiver so that the “barrel” is greater than 16” and the OAL is over 26”? If the receiver when fused to the barrel becomes part of the barrel for length, it would seem that this would be a workaround.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it possible that Franklin simply pinned the barrel to the receiver so that the “barrel” is greater than 16” and the OAL is over 26”? If the receiver when fused to the barrel becomes part of the barrel for length, it would seem that this would be a workaround.
View Quote
That's not how this works.  That has been posted nearly every page of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It will be epic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will be epic.

But Springfield double derped by trying to fuck over the entire state of IL so nobody cares about gripzone anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's true but ATF ethics aside, the way of measuring OAL is with the stock fully extended or unfolded. In theory the same standard should apply to muzzle devices for barrel length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, the ATF always collapses the stocks before measuring OAL, to get just a few invhes closer to a conviction. If a muzzle device is not pinned, sometimes they remove it.

It all depends on which asshole at the tech branch is doing the measurements. Measuring with the stock extended makes sense to us, because that is how the weapon is used; but the ATF's goal is to get the length under 26" without modifying it, so they can get a conviction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it possible that Franklin simply pinned the barrel to the receiver so that the "barrel" is greater than 16" and the OAL is over 26"? If the receiver when fused to the barrel becomes part of the barrel for length, it would seem that this would be a workaround.
View Quote
Barrel length is measured from the muzzle or permanently affixed device to the closed bolt face surface.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And yet, the ATF always collapses the stocks before measuring OAL, to get just a few invhes closer to a conviction. If a muzzle device is not pinned, sometimes they remove it.

It all depends on which asshole at the tech branch is doing the measurements. Measuring with the stock extended makes sense to us, because that is how the weapon is used; but the ATF's goal is to get the length under 26" without modifying it, so they can get a conviction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple enough to make sure it can’t be adjusted below 26”(+). I like the idea, by the way and think it it could use some investigation. But it would still be a “Rifle” and FA is claiming “Not a Rifle” anyways.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And yet, the ATF always collapses the stocks before measuring OAL.
View Quote
No they don't.  ATF always measures with stock in the fully extended position.

And they always measure barrel length with any muzzle device removed unless it's permanently attached.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's quite the gamble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's quite the gamble.
IDK...gonna be hard to take that crown from Flir.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#34]
It's only a little over a week to wait for the grand announcement on this product.
Which hopefuly reveals a "firearm" that will be available in a standard AR rifle caliber.
And that announcement needs to include a copy of the ATF approval letter telling us exactly why this is NFA compliant as a "firearm."

Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Been observing this thread since page one. Didn't feel like I could add anything new to all the conjecture. However, I can maybe help rule out one of the main theories. Per TFB...

-Not a smooth bore
-Not trigger related
-Not a rifle
-Not a shotgun
-11.5" Barrel

http://i.cubeupload.com/InZa8Q.jpeg
View Quote
Muzzle loading.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#37]
On another note, I now cannot unsee the stumpy penis logo...

God Bless ARFCOM
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Muzzle loading.  
View Quote
Would still be NFA.  Antique firearms exemption doesn't apply to muzzle loaders that use firearm receivers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I love how every page of is thread is essentially the same, with people suggesting the same three or four suggestions over and over and over again.

View Quote
Seriously. 20 pages going nowhere.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  Would still be NFA.  Antique firearms exemption doesn't apply to muzzle loaders that use firearm receivers.
View Quote
While I don't think they're going to unveil a muzzle loader @ SHOT, if they did, it would be fairly easy to make AR-like receivers that don't use AR dimensions, and thus aren't Title 1 firearms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Prob already been said but my vote is a sensor that replaces the trigger. Wiggle your finger inside the guard and it fires. No trigger press or pull.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Square (or “squared”) bore with twist...

Could that impart twist to a bullet to stabilize?

Picture a twisted wrought iron bar.

ETA: I’ll be... Look up “Puckle Gun”.

ETA: Smooth bore for maybe a couple inches past chamber, transitioning into a square bore with maybe some amount of twist? Possible?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe Not if one brass case shot 2 bullets down the barrel one in front of the other
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I love how every page of is thread is essentially the same, with people suggesting the same three or four suggestions over and over and over again.

View Quote
What do you mean? It's obviously a smooth bore
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If it is a "rifle" and has a barrel under 16" it's an SBR regardless of anything else about it. The only way I can see this being possible is for them to have somehow designed this to not be a rifle. It's the "intended to be fired from the shoulder" part that I don't know how they are getting around. You can make AR pistols with braces, shotguns with pistols grips and have short barrels. But as soon as you put a stock on it and it has a barrel under 16" I can't see a way it's not an SBR.

(7) The term ''rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or rede- signed and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than six- teen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is either more than on projectile ( 2 bullets from same brass) that does not neet the "more than one shot from a single function of trigger" MG definition

Or

The barrel is not rifled but still imparts spin of the bullet. Maybe a barrel that is bored not straight, but bored in a conical or twisting fashion to pull spin on the bullet without rifling
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So by the definition of a SBR what if it was made from a pistol first? Then it wouldn’t qualify as a rifle.
Also isn’t that how we make pistol ar’s. They are never made into rifles. So your not modifying a a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So by the definition of a SBR what if it was made from a pistol first? Then it wouldn't qualify as a rifle.
Also isn't that how we make pistol ar's. They are never made into rifles. So your not modifying a a rifle.
View Quote
It has a stock, intended to be fired from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Braces are fired from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Intent.  Braces aren't intended to be fired from the shoulder.  If you put a brave on a pistol with the intent of firing it from the shoulder you've created an SBR.  If you happen to shoulder your braced pistol, you're golden.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Why the hell do people like this attorney use stupid comments like "loophole"?  It's either legal, or it's not.

Next, the Recoil attorney will be speaking about the "gun show loophole".  
Page / 80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top