Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Your friend is a moron, tell him to get a lawyer and SHUT HIS STUPID MOUTH.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Any updates op? Whats his next course of action?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a lot of gun models out there, but we are talking about a Glock, Glock owners wear their model number like a badge of honor, I have never met one that didn't know what model his gun is...

View Quote
...and wear their girlfriends panties on their head! Pics or it ain’t real!

Add to that....3 pages in and nobody has accused the op of being the “friend”? You guys are off your game.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If your friend gets lucky and  suffers no repercussions from this I would tell him next time he plans on leaving a gun in his motel room,  pop for a room that has a safe so those snooping maids have nothing to find.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

...and wear their girlfriends panties on their head! Pics or it ain’t real!

Add to that....3 pages in and nobody has accused the op of being the “friend”? You guys are off your game.
View Quote
Op, so why did you leave your gun behind?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Take it all the way to the Supreme Court, put the system on trial. This could be the Roe v Wade of Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It always amazes me how people "leave their sidearm" here or there.

Uh, how does one walk out of a room without their pecker?
View Quote
I know a uniformed federal  officer who left her p2000 in her hotel room, maid found it and called local cops. local cops showed up right about when the officer realized that she didn't have it and got a cab back to hotel. Cops have bagged and tagged it when she showed up... was apparently a shit show. Officer is still employed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Has it been asked what general area and/or city this occurred in? OP, don’t let the info if this isn’t a good idea to provide...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What to do if you left illegal contraband in a hotel? Lol I hope he's no longer in California. Shut the fuck up and call a lawyer Monday
View Quote
Fpni.

Why would you take a gun to California?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Calling and admitting to owning it was pretty stupid. He could have asked if they found anything in the room and said "Gun? I don't own a gun!" and maintained it must have been from a previous guest. Now he admitted to owning something illegal.

Make sure he doesn't fuck himself ever further by calling/talking to the police "to explain things."
View Quote
This, your friend needs to shut his fucking mouth and lawyer up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It sure doesn't protect staying in hotels with hicap mags. lol get his gun back, he'll be lucky if charges aren't filed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What exactly does fopa protect? Traveling through states with these bs restrictive laws, unlike others here I hope he gets his legally owned gun back and california has to unfuck themselves because of this.

Eta, if you havent tought your kids about gun safety by the time they could be wondering unaccompanied through random hotel rooms your doing something wrong.
It sure doesn't protect staying in hotels with hicap mags. lol get his gun back, he'll be lucky if charges aren't filed
Lol getting his gun back ought to not even be on his radar...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gotta have a license in CA, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he was still working there, then was he still checked in to that room?  If so, it's his place of residence and he has every right to possess a firearm in his own place of residence.  He has an expectation of privacy, and all that.  As long as the gun is on the list, and as long as the magazine ban isn't being enforced yet, then he should be all right.  Correct?
License for what now?...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This must be fake news.  To wit...

The lawsuit is filed by the California Rifle and Pistol Association — an affiliate of the National Rifle Association — on behalf of gun owners who either want the magazines for self defense or already own them and don’t want to be forced to give them up.

“This is a significant win for law-abiding gun owners in California,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.

GD has informed me that the NRA-ILA is a communist organization, dedicated to destroying the 2nd Amendment, and that Chris Cox is the antichrist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magazine capacity law was placed on hold in court recently in CA

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-magazine-ruling-20180717-story.html

The lawsuit is filed by the California Rifle and Pistol Association — an affiliate of the National Rifle Association — on behalf of gun owners who either want the magazines for self defense or already own them and don’t want to be forced to give them up.

“This is a significant win for law-abiding gun owners in California,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.

GD has informed me that the NRA-ILA is a communist organization, dedicated to destroying the 2nd Amendment, and that Chris Cox is the antichrist.
yep, it's an arfcom theme.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fpni.

Why would you take a gun go to California?
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Shouldnt have brought illegal items into the state.

I don't blame the hotel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stupid is as stupid does. Hope he gets jail time over it.
At least some kid didn’t find it and shoot himself or someone else.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have at least one Smith and Wesson revolver that I don't know the exact model number of
View Quote
I don't know the models of any S&W revolvers that I own, and probably none of the shitty 9mm's either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since it was found in the hotel and turned into police by an employee of the hotel he doesn't have too much to worry about. Even if he's from a state with registration, any decent attorney should keep anything from happening.

He should still shit bricks, and call an attorney though.
View Quote
This. I think it's worth the ducats to have the thing returned via a dealer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fpni.

View Quote
why not?  have you ever drove from PHX to LA, or SD?

lots of open road
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
License for what now?...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he was still working there, then was he still checked in to that room?  If so, it's his place of residence and he has every right to possess a firearm in his own place of residence.  He has an expectation of privacy, and all that.  As long as the gun is on the list, and as long as the magazine ban isn't being enforced yet, then he should be all right.  Correct?
License for what now?...
License, permit, something along that line? Or can a non-resident have a Glock in CA just because it's a damn RIGHT? (Serious question, BTW)
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The old “asking for a friend” and no return post eh....
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
He messed up. But he doesn’t deserve what’s about the to reign down on him. I’d get out of dodge fast.

& im not sorry but fuck anyone who enforces capacity limits and any other stupid as gun control law. Pure treason, and they know it. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I have never understood how people forget their guns.when going to another state you obey their rules, thats why i have magazines in lower capacity or carry a revolver.your friend really screwed up, especially going to a communist state
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have never understood how people forget their guns.when going to another state you obey their rules, thats why i have magazines in lower capacity or carry a revolver.your friend really screwed up, especially going to a communist state
View Quote
Honest question, but do you know all the rules for motor vehicles in every state you have traveled in, let alone the ones covering your home state?

I don't.  I don't know all the laws for firearms either.  I don't really believe anyone does.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#25]
This is what I don’t understand.
If he’s carrying a Glock for self defense, how is he carrying it?
If it was carried in a holster on your belt, you would realize as soon as you put your pants on that something was missing.
Does anyone pocket carry a Glock?
Does he Mexican carry?

If I were him I would get out of the state Ricky Tickey and try to figure out which department it was most likely handed over to.
I would then try to find a lawyer that was local to that department and maybe even on good terms with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What to do if you left illegal contraband in a hotel? Lol I hope he's no longer in California. Shut the fuck up and call a lawyer Monday
View Quote
The lawyer will cost more than the guns worth.

Be a man, report it stolen.

Be thankful some lessons are only $500.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I left a decent shirt and pair of slacks hanging in a hotel closet once when I was hungover as hell.
I didn't go back for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magazine capacity law was placed on hold in court recently in CA

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-magazine-ruling-20180717-story.html

Wayne Lapierre was the antichrist.
Just look at that one lovely dead eye
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
F

If i did that id have considered it lost and never said a peep. If LE called - "i have no idea, i only slept there"
View Quote
I would have added that I had found the gun in the room. And to ensure that it couldn’t go off and hurt anyone I removed the magazine and emptied it, then when I was ready to leave I reloaded the mag and inserted it into the gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In my almost 30 year career at sea I learned to wake up, shit, shower, shave, pack and be out the door in 30 minutes.

I never do this. It always takes about 33 minutes.

Why? I run through the check list I made and had laminated years ago and do a walkaround.

Thermostat set? Check.

Cat fed? Check

Stove off? Check.

Guns put away? Check

etc.

I also have an additional one for when I travel by air.

Pockets of all clothing gone through?

Bags emptied and cleared?

Wrist watch in carry-on?

Any gun arrangements?

You get the general idea. The pilot that has flown 5,000 trips STILL uses a check list.

You can call me a doddering old man if you want but the fact is I have done this for decades and over the years it has been a successful way to do things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my nightmare scenario since I travel and fly a lot.

A few years ago I almost left home for the airport with my Glock 19 mag in my computer bag
In my almost 30 year career at sea I learned to wake up, shit, shower, shave, pack and be out the door in 30 minutes.

I never do this. It always takes about 33 minutes.

Why? I run through the check list I made and had laminated years ago and do a walkaround.

Thermostat set? Check.

Cat fed? Check

Stove off? Check.

Guns put away? Check

etc.

I also have an additional one for when I travel by air.

Pockets of all clothing gone through?

Bags emptied and cleared?

Wrist watch in carry-on?

Any gun arrangements?

You get the general idea. The pilot that has flown 5,000 trips STILL uses a check list.

You can call me a doddering old man if you want but the fact is I have done this for decades and over the years it has been a successful way to do things.
Yep,

As a teenager I made check lists for different purposes:
Camping
Hunting
Boating

Just go drive three hours to go hunt and leave your good boots or grab the wrong box of ammo and you will see the wisdom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#32]
What happened to the two guys who were arrested in New York?  Other than the links posted, I can't find any other info.  Torrie Flock was arrested in May of 2017.  Jerald Mowery was arrested in 2016.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can he make it to the coast? It will be too risky to travel overland to any neighboring borders. If he can make it to the ocean (and he has enough cash) he may be able find passage on a small private vessel heading to Asia. Unfortunately, it looks like his life in the USA is over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ideally, he'd be on his way out of the state right now.
Can he make it to the coast? It will be too risky to travel overland to any neighboring borders. If he can make it to the ocean (and he has enough cash) he may be able find passage on a small private vessel heading to Asia. Unfortunately, it looks like his life in the USA is over.
To do it correctly, he should also fake his death as he is leaving.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Honest question, but do you know all the rules for motor vehicles in every state you have traveled in, let alone the ones covering your home state?

I don't.  I don't know all the laws for firearms either.  I don't really believe anyone does.
View Quote
Sorry but that’s the dumbest thing I’ve read so far this morning with the exception of those wishing him jail time.

I’m a Canadian with a NH non resident CCW.
Before travelling I go on USA carry and go to NH and click on Non-Resident and a map pops up with the states in blue and red.
When in a red state everything goes into a locked case including the holster. The ammo goes into a separate locked case.
If I’m ever stopped and for some reason the car is searched I’m ok since I’m just travelling through.
You would think that any adult should be smart enough to know that not every state, especially California, doesn’t have the same gun laws.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#36]
He needs to pack his shit and leave.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There are a lot of gun models out there, but we are talking about a Glock, Glock owners wear their model number like a badge of honor, I have never met one that didn't know what model his gun is...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It amazes me how detached from reality we are around here sometimes. You guys must certainly recognize we’re not run of the mill gun owners on arfcom. It does not surprise me in the least that an average gun owner would not know what model their gun is. Lots of people buy a gun and then tuck it away in a drawer or the top of the closet...possibly most.

I have a glock. Its a good gun. I don't like it, but I toss it in my car or truck. I don't know what model it is. I have a "few" other guns, I know what model they are.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Was he still a guest of the hotel when they found and confiscated his pistol?  If so, they are probably in the wrong and he's protected by the 4th amendment:

[url=https://www.bakerdonelson.com/files/Uploads/Documents/GunsDrugAndPrivacyExpectationInHotels.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cheaper to act like it wasn't his and just buy another one when he is back in a free state.
View Quote
Assuming that he lives in a state that doesnt require all firearm sales to have ffl transfers
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fpni.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fpni.

Why would you go without one
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's how I see it.
View Quote
He checked out.  He gave up the room so I don't know how there would be any expectation of privacy.  It wasn't like the police came in and searched for the gun with no cause.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorry but that’s the dumbest thing I’ve read so far this morning with the exception of those wishing him jail time.

I’m a Canadian with a NH non resident CCW.
Before travelling I go on USA carry and go to NH and click on Non-Resident and a map pops up with the states in blue and red.
When in a red state everything goes into a locked case including the holster. The ammo goes into a separate locked case.
If I’m ever stopped and for some reason the car is searched I’m ok since I’m just travelling through.
You would think that any adult should be smart enough to know that not every state, especially California, doesn’t have the same gun laws.
https://i.postimg.cc/W3VKWB7Y/189-E3875-958-B-4-E11-82-A0-F5-D420-CFA2-EE.png
View Quote
Glad I could amuse you.  I am willing to bet my own money that you do not know every law of every state you enter.  $100.00, I will happily paypal it to aimless to hold.

Go ahead take me up on the bet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wouldnt all this depend on where in Cali? Like rural California, northern part, with a cool sherrif who supports the Constitution has the perogative to let this go
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I know a uniformed federal  officer who left her p2000 in her hotel room, maid found it and called local cops. local cops showed up right about when the officer realized that she didn't have it and got a cab back to hotel. Cops have bagged and tagged it when she showed up... was apparently a shit show. Officer is still employed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It always amazes me how people "leave their sidearm" here or there.

Uh, how does one walk out of a room without their pecker?
Cop left his Glock in a bathroom at my university a few years back
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#45]
He should NEVER go to California again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If he is back home out of state I would assume they'll just destroy the gun and close the case without filing for prosecution. Too much work to connect him to the gun and mag, Although it could be done
View Quote
That's all I would do...…..just hope they don't come after him and it is on his record for future gun purchases.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Glad I could amuse you.  I am willing to bet my own money that you do not know every law of every state you enter.  $100.00, I will happily paypal it to aimless to hold.

View Quote
I never said I know every law of every state.
I simply stated that I search to see which states I can bring my firearms into and what magazine and ammo restrictions are placed upon me in those states.
Eg no hollowpint bullets in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It amazes me how detached from reality we are around here sometimes. You guys must certainly recognize we’re not run of the mill gun owners on arfcom. It does not surprise me in the least that an average gun owner would not know what model their gun is. Lots of people buy a gun and then tuck it away in a drawer or the top of the closet...possibly most.
View Quote
GD vastly over estimates pretty much everything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I simply stated that I search to see which states I can bring my firearms into and what magazine and ammo restrictions are placed upon me in those states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, but, logically then, don't you think it will be the law that you do *not* know that gets you?

Just like maybe what happened here, to the guy who might not have known this particular law.  I know, this is one of those basic ones, but honestly, I live in AZ and do not concern myself with CA laws, even when driving through CA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#50]
This could happen to anybody.
When I travel in California I carry an old revolver I bought FTF for cash years ago.
It is not linked to me in any way.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top