Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

God damn it I automatically read that in Hank Hill's voice and lost it
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I guarantee I could not. 03RN was going to try but I didn’t see if he did it yet.

ETA. Speak of the devil.
View Quote

Hmm I sense a weekend challenge
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I used to bulls eye womp-mice in my T-16 back home.  They're not much bigger than 2".
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Something like 10 shots at 40yrds in 15 seconds against a man size silhouette, gotta make 8 of the shots hits. However, as far as I can tell that's just not how things happened. From what I gather (and this could be completely wrong because I don't watch the news and I don't really care very much) he was walking toward the BG while engaging and using his non-firing hand to usher people dafuq out.

For the last 15 years I haven't practiced defensive handgun shooting in any way other than while moving except for a few drills at training classes. The training classes stressed mastering shooting in motion unless using solid cover so just standing there in one spot driving shots at a target wasn't something they spent much time on. In my opinion, if I'm not able to keep the X in motion while making reliable center mass hits then I'm training to have a duel, not a gunfight. If you want to train with some drill, train with it. Train with all the drills you can google up. If you only train one way then you're rehearsing, not training.

In any event, as far as I can tell, the Dicken drill is pretty much gunnie larping + mental masturbation meant to make people feel better about themselves while others pat them on the back for pretending to be as badass as Mr. Dicken apparently is. It is kinda neat though that we've got just unbelievable performances by 2 defensive shooters who are (apparently) essentially untrained. Mr. Rittenhouse, who's performance was nothing less than stunning given the dynamic situation & close range & the trigger control he executed. Mr. Dicken who seems to have dove into action with zero hesitation or fucks given and also seems to have not only behaved as a heroic keeper of his fellow man but also as a truly competent pistol driver in a dynamic long range situation where he displayed obviously fantastic scene control, communications, trigger control and sight picture.
View Quote

So you would move even if your initial position provided cover and concealment?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
10 rounds at 40 yards in 15 seconds.
You know, the 22 year old that stopped a mass shooter from across the food court with a concealed carry gun.
View Quote

Using iron sights!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guarantee I could not. 03RN was going to try but I didn’t see if he did it yet.

ETA. Speak of the devil.

You guys are better than I am. I am doing some slow fire precision shooting tonight though. I hope to do better than last week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kind of want to do the dickens drill with a revolver now
View Quote

move seen it done several times online now

Dicken Drill. Cold. Snub. Deep Carry.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regarding this shooting, did the shooter ever return the good guy’s fire?
View Quote

Video has not been released but from what I have gathered,  no.

Eli hit the perp with one of his early shots and the perp was quickly out of the fight.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean the guy who was shot 8 times in 10 seconds? That guy full of lead? You wonder if he shot back?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3OsrvEYFtI
View Quote

With a .22?

Man Idk if I count that one personally
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother and I were doing the drill yesterday, me with an optic equipped canik and he with a stock sights Glock. The optic definitely makes the difference. At that distance our target was mostly covered by his sights but the optic made it much easier to see and hit.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why anyone would get hung up on it. It's a training tool, not the only training tool. Training and skill checks are good things. It isn't replacing long held doctrine or negating anything, it's just an addition.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about what the fuck is a Dickens drill and why should I care?
View Quote

The Charles Dickens drill.  
Using 3 different ghost guns shoot the Christmas goose as many times as you can before the clock strikes one.  Extra points for shooting one handed while holing a crutch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know why anyone would get hung up on it. It's a training tool, not the only training tool. Training and skill checks are good things. It isn't replacing long held doctrine or negating anything, it's just an addition.
View Quote

Training? Son this is about STOPPING POWER.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Using 3 different ghost guns shoot the Christmas goose as many times as you can before the clock strikes one.  Extra points for shooting one handed while holing a crutch.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the best of drills, it is the worst of drills.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With a .22?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a .22?

he's got 8 rounds, but 22 DA revolvers are maybe the hardest to shoot for accuracy.  His triggers probably 12+ pounds in a 14 ounce gun
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's funny cause it's true
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, the Fudds OP was talking about are here

It's funny cause it's true

Being planned for 8/14 shoot if it happens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hopefully in just a couple of years the fudds will have gone the way of the dodo
View Quote

In my observation, "Fudd" is not necessarily relegated to age. It is a mental state of inflexibility beyond a spoon fed dogma.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

he's got 8 rounds, but 22 DA revolvers are maybe the hardest to shoot for accuracy.  His triggers probably 12+ pounds in a 14 ounce gun
View Quote

Hmm I guess I have never fired a .22 revolver. I wasnt aware of that
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ETA. Speak of the devil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY reload is the way to go.

I really think I could get it done with a reload

ETA. Speak of the devil.

I might try with my m19 but sometimes shells don't slide perfectly in during reloads.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you remember a Charles Dickens ? He wrote books back when you were in Elementary school and one of his books was about shooting ghost .
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#23]
If (and likely when) somebody gets a confirmed self defense kill at say 100 yards+ with a pistol, are people going to create the "100 yard dash drill"  and proclaim its necessity?  

I think you train for what you are able to effectively do.

Most of these people doing "drills" on youtube knows "Dicken" is currently "IN" and gets clicks and views (see MONEY)

*Cryptobro who understands how fads work in relation to making money off of them*
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can we define “fudd”?
View Quote

No idea, because the Dicken Drill is actually Fudd style old timey shooting. 50 yards used to be the standard pistol shooting distance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#25]
The Dicken Drill - 10 shots at 40 Yards in 15 Seconds

here's a revolver with a reload
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

this guy did it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgQk93VrJ0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a .22?

this guy did it too

The Ruger 22 LCR has a better trigger than .38 j frames
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds awful, why would you buy one?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#28]
The drill itself seems a little superfluous and naming it after the guy before he's given any public indication of whether he'd prefer not to be famous for this seems kind of cringey, but the limited details of the shooting that we have do provide food for thought and a helpful reminder that you should go outside your comfortable and expected practice sometimes just in case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I might try with my m19 but sometimes shells don't slide perfectly in during reloads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY reload is the way to go.

I really think I could get it done with a reload

ETA. Speak of the devil.

I have faith in you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ah, the Fudds OP was talking about are here
View Quote

Lol.

That’s about 85% of this place. The median age here has to be around 55-60 ish years old.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what i read, Mr Dicken's first couple of shots hit Mr Crazy somewhere vital or structural and he "whithered". The final closing/charging shots were insurance to make sure Mr Crazy did not continue his rampage.

If I'm wrong, i stand corrected.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Fun to do but not the end all be all drill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cause you can still shoot the Dicken Drill with one and it weighs very little

this episode seems a very strong case for Indian>arrow

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

True, but we don't know those details yet.  The drill was created with what little information we have.  Once we see the video we can update the drill to be more accurate.

I don't see it as masturbatory fantasies, just people wanting to celebrate him for exercising his right to carry and being willing to do the right thing to protect himself, his loved ones and other people.  It also changes what most people thought the typical self-defense scenario looked like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Dicken Drill" makes me cringe.

the poor guy probably hates all this attention and masterbating but isn't allowed to speak yet about it.

he also didn't shoot all his rounds from the god tier 40 yards away  range.

he did a damn fine job stopping that threat, and has my respect.

I can appreciate people motivated to train some more because of this, but still.....

True, but we don't know those details yet.  The drill was created with what little information we have.  Once we see the video we can update the drill to be more accurate.

I don't see it as masturbatory fantasies, just people wanting to celebrate him for exercising his right to carry and being willing to do the right thing to protect himself, his loved ones and other people.  It also changes what most people thought the typical self-defense scenario looked like.

It most certainly should not change "what most people thought the typical self-defense scenario looked like".  It was a real outlier.  The typical self-defense pistol use is still very much being fast, accurate, at close quarters against an assailant who is FOCUSED on YOU.

I deeply admire what this young man accomplished.  I hope he and his very conscientious girl friend get married, raise ten kids like them and have long prosperous lives.  This country needs that, desperately.  

But, lets not get confused on the world we actually live in.  
I have always practiced pistols at longer range because what that takes makes me a better shooter at close range.  No argument there. But, there is a a bit of a crowd posing feature of this now that should be beneath gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a .22?

this guy did it too

Probably true, still heavy though-  the 22 LCRs have a heavier trigger than the rest
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 rounds at 40 yards in 15 seconds.
You know, the 22 year old that stopped a mass shooter from across the food court with a concealed carry gun.

Using iron sights!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/1f/6a/741f6a1cf2128ea0a99e1df2bc3d69de.jpg

That is hilarious!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol.

That’s about 85% of this place. The median age here has to be around 55-60 ish years old.
View Quote

That’s because old folks actually have money to buy guns. We didn’t spend it all on avocado toast and video games. We believed in firm handshakes, hair on a pussy, and pistol malfunctions.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I used to bulls eye womp-mice in my T-16 back home.  They're not much bigger than 2".
View Quote

That’s impossible, even for a computer!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

the poor guy probably hates all this attention and masterbating but isn't allowed to speak yet about it.

View Quote

LE wasn't going to release his name, he told them it was okay to do so. I listened to the press conference. Obviously his name would have come out later.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you two read ANY news?
View Quote

I read a fuckton of news, MSM and otherwise.

I have not once seen any reference to this guy's name, or how many rounds were fired or from what distance. The media is fucking worthless.

Anything past 25 yards - yeah this is going to turn into an optics on carry pistols thread.     I always used to do at least a bit of pistol shooting from 25-60 yards; now I shoot quite a bit at 50 or so.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's because old folks actually have money to buy guns. We didn't spend it all on avocado toast and video games. We believed in firm handshakes, hair on a pussy, and pistol malfunctions.

View Quote
Fifty years of one shot per second (so you don't get yelled at) and never shooting from draw (because it's unsafe) makes you adequately prepared for fast, in close self defense encounters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

here's a revolver with a reload
View Quote

I need a comp 3. At least for competitions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did he make a cider we should try?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Holy fuck, I've never seen so much revolver hate from the small wiener community.

We need more people to carry, more people to support the 2nd amendment, more people out there ready to shoot back. And the community keep taking a giant shit on anyone who carries a revolver.

Have you ever even fired a revolver?

Keep going. Keep sowing hate in the community and then wonder why high cap bans and shit get enacted.

View Quote

You must work for the NRA.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Anything past 25 yards - yeah this is going to turn into an optics on carry pistols thread.     I always used to do at least a bit of pistol shooting from 25-60 yards; now I shoot quite a bit at 50 or so.
View Quote

We going for a Fudd trigger hat trick?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's odd to call the 333 rule silly and then cite a source that generally supports it.  Maybe it should be 3 rounds, 3 seconds, 5 yards- but that's far from "silliness."

Lucky Gunner link

I don't understand hate towards the Dickens Drill.  This is obviously a rare occurrence (which is why we're discussing it) but I find training for a higher bar helps with success at a lower bar.

I shot this a couple days ago at 6 yards with 1 second target presentations (that target hanger spins) as a general believer in the 3-3-5 (?) rule knowing 6 is harder than 5
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/AE999127-BA38-4A55-A189-F121F641D9AA_jpe-2469400.JPG
View Quote
Agreed.

Friends and I used to do a LOT of night shooting a drills. The idea was that if we were proficient in low-light, a self-defense shooting during daylight would be like cheating. I never thought I would be engaging a bunch of people attacking me at night across a field.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#49]
So does anyone know what type/model/caliber pistol he made his fame with?

That kind of shooting would be impossible I think with a small .380 pocket pistol. Probably impossible for me overall with his results at that distance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So does anyone know what type/model/caliber pistol he made his fame with?

That kind of shooting would be impossible I think with a small .380 pocket pistol. Probably impossible for me overall with his results at that distance.
View Quote

I REALLY hope its a Taurus Millenium
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top